One Last Date, She Said

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
woodmanone
woodmanone
2,294 Followers

Of the two girls I had been dating, I had really screwed up with my choice. My dad had tried to warn me, but I knew what was best. Bullshit. To use an old cliché "Father knows best". As I followed the group on the hike, I began to remember my times with Barbara. If I was with Donna, I had to constantly make sure she was getting what she wanted. If I was with Barbara, we just had fun. If Barbara wanted anything she would get whatever it was for herself. Donna you had to babysit, with Barbara you just had a good time.

While dating Barbara, I had thought of her as a gal pal. That was because I was infatuated with Donna. I realized now that Donna was a prize I had to win. Barbara was just a really great person to have as a friend, if nothing more. Sometimes, I wonder how I managed to survive when you consider how stupid I had been. Now I get to stand by as my brother gets a wonder girl. The girl that I could have been with if I hadn't been so stupid. Except that I was too dumb to know a good, no, a great thing when I saw it.

After the three hour hike, we were all back at the trail head. I was sitting on the tailgate of my truck cooling off with a beer. I watched my dad at the BBQ grill. You see my dad doesn't hike with us. Mom hikes but Dad won't. He stays behind and makes lunch.

Dad said he already knew how to walk and doesn't need any more practice. He walked over and handed me another beer. We sat there for probably five minutes not saying anything. Dad looked at me and said, "So what are you going to do now?"

"Whatta you mean, Pop?"

"I was watching the TV last night and saw an interesting shot of the patio at the country club," Dad told me.

"Ah, now I understand what you meant. Well, right now I am going to finish my beer, drink the one you brought me, and maybe get another one. After that it's sort of up in the air. I may just go shoot myself. The only thing that I know for sure is that Donna is history."

"I know it hurts right now," Dad said, "and it sounds like a line in a bad story, but you will get over this. Trust me."

I gave him a little smile and said, "You know it amazes me how much smarter you are now than when I was 16."

"I had to keep up with you. You can be a handful," Dad responded laughing. "By the way you hurt Barbara's feelings today. You didn't say hello or talk to her at all today."

"As far as not saying hello to her, I'm too ashamed and embarrassed at the way I treated her. As far as not talking to her, I didn't want to horn in on Jake's date. It wouldn't have been cool."

"Jake's date? Is that what you think? Barbara isn't his date. She came because I ask her to. I like her and remembered how much she enjoyed hiking with us. I don't believe she came just to hike with me. Barbara told me before the hike she thought she might get to walk with you. She went with Jake on the hike because you wouldn't talk to her or go near her."

"How can she still want to be around me? I was a jerk to her."

"Yes you were. As far as her interest in you, you will have to ask her. She is over by my truck having a drink, I suggest you go talk to her. You at least owe her the right to shut you down in person."

Like I said, "Father knows best". I walked over to Barbara, said hello and asked if I could talk to her. She agreed and we went back to my truck. My dad had gone back to his grill.

"Babs, I'm really sorry for the way I treated you. I should have explained about Donna and not just quit calling you. Please forgive me," I told her.

She gave me a little grin and said, "I think that can be arranged."

We went to get some of my dad's world famous BBQ. I don't know about world famous, but it is really good. Babs and I went back to my truck to eat. After lunch we talked some more.

"They show some really weird things on T.V these days," she said out of the blue.

I was puzzled and I asked, "What are you talking about?"

Babs gave me that little grin and answered, "I saw the scenes of the patio at the charity thing last night. Of course, your dad mentioned them to me too. I wasn't going to come on this hike until I saw the show last night."

"Why would that show change your mind about the hike." I can be really dense sometimes.

"You quit calling or talking to me after you hooked up with Donna and I was hurt and a little angry at you. I had to ask myself why I was so upset. The answer was easy. I liked you a lot and wanted us to be more than just friends. I know how you think and knew that when you found out about those two you would kick her to the curb. The hike could be my chance to reconnect with you."

"You should have said something to me. I thought you just wanted to be pals." I was really surprised at what Babs was saying.

"What was I going to do, throw myself at you? If you didn't feel the same way, it wouldn't matter and might have destroyed our relationship. Anyway, your dad called me this morning to remind me about the hike. He isn't the most subtle man in the world is he? He told me if I wanted you I should get my butt going and come on the hike. He is a very smart man, don't you think?"

I laughed out loud and said, "He has learned a lot in the last few years."

Babs continued, "Look, I'm sorry Donna hurt you, but I'm not sorry you aren't with her anymore. It gives me a chance to entrap you with my feminine wiles. Or something like that," she laughed.

I noticed that everyone else had left the picnic area. We had been talking for three hours or so. A new relationship began that afternoon.

Almost a year has passed and Barbara and I are still together. We are a couple, going steady, or exclusive or whatever term you like best and have been ever since the day of the hike. I haven't proposed yet, but it won't be long before I do.

You know I gave up a diamond to get a Zircon. You know a Zircon, flashy but fake. I got rid of the fake and got the real gem back. I never gamble now because I have used up all my good luck.

QUOTE: Life goes on.

woodmanone
woodmanone
2,294 Followers
12