One Night Stand Ch. 02

Story Info
Three years later...
4.1k words
4.73
42.1k
26
19

Part 2 of the 3 part series

Updated 10/04/2022
Created 01/09/2010
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Three years later...

'Ready yet?'

Ada rolled her eyes at the exasperated brunette standing at the doorstep of her room with arms on her hips.

'I will be if you stop poking your head in here every two seconds. Now go wait in the living room, Jem!'

Jemima gave a mini grumble as she spun round and walked down the hallway back to the living area.

Ada shook her head as she caught the beginnings of Jemima's mutterings, 'Never used to take you this much time before...'

Whatever. Ada had not been out since...well that night and yes, it had been three years, but she just had not been able to go out. She had been embarrassed of her behaviour. She blushed a little as she always did whenever her mind went back to that night. She felt terrible that she had run out on him but there was no way she would have been able to face him after what happened. After the way she acted. After the way he reciprocated.

After she cried in his arms.

He would probably have sent her home with some nice words...maybe money. She covered her face with her arms as she groaned inwardly. Yes, she was right to have run away.

Anyway she had tried going back there a few months after. He had not been there. He had travelled to Dubai? Singapore? She could not remember, but he had not been there.

By the time she had gone there three times, she had been informed politely but firmly that he was not coming back anytime soon and that she should stop coming there.

And she had stopped of course. Rightly so, too.

'Ada!'

'I'm coming!' Ada replied with a scowl.

Why on earth had she agreed to go out with Jemima tonight? Okay fine, more like been coerced into it, but she could always have fobbed her off as she usually did. Fine, she could not have but still! Instead of slowly easing her back into social Uthopia like the pub down the road or something, Jemima was dragging her to some fancy do where one had to dress up properly!

It was true that she had become a little grandmother, always puttering about in her new cosy two bedroom flat...more like one bedroom, one closet but she absolutely adored it. And she had put in more hours than before into work...and had gotten a lovely promotion and increase in her salary which was definitely needed. Especially now that she was more or less estranged from her family. Her eyes watered a bit as she recalled the outrage that she had received because of her break-up with Olisa. She quickly pushed that thought out of her head.

She was a new girl. Well not as new as she had intended three years ago, but more mature. Her hair was back to black that was for sure, she thought wryly as she surveyed herself in the mirror. She was slightly thinner than before. Not that she had consciously decided to lose weight but it had just dropped off as she forgot to eat whilst at work and was too tired to do so upon arrival. With her newly fixed Brazilian weave, with a thick fringe that more or less blocked her face and drew attention solely to her big brown eyes, incredible cheekbones and full red lips, her face looked exquisite, although she thought otherwise. Which was a good thing as she had not dressed up as much as Jemima did. She simply wore a long Grecian styled ivory dress and flat thong sandals. No jewellery was added. She glanced at herself once more. Well, she was ready or as ready as she could ever be and if Jemima, who was clad in a gorgeous LBD with stunning Swarovski crystal earrings, did not like it then...she was changing back into her comfy pjs and diving back into bed!

She shut the door to her room softly and quietly padded into the next room to make sure all was well. Satisfied with her perusal, she went to the living room and stared at Jemima somewhat defiantly.

'Well?' She demanded.

Jemima stared at her speechless for a second then broke into a broad grin that threatened to crack her face in half.

'Ada...you are definitely back!'

Ada looked at her sceptically, 'You've already got me going with you, Jem. You don't have to lie to me too.'

Jemima rushed to her and cupped her face gently so as not to smudge her smooth face, 'I swear to you Ada Mordi, on my grandma's life...okay fine we both know I want her dead like yesterday but...you look absolutely stunning. And if you don't get a guy tonight slavering after you like some love-sick orang-utan, I will give you my new Louboutins.'

Ada's face brightened at that, 'Promise?'

Jemima nodded solemnly, 'Grandma Patti's life.'

Ada rolled her eyes as she linked arms with Jemima, 'Yeah, like that counts for shi...sugar.'

Jemima giggled and waved to her cousin who was staying over at Ada's for the night.

'Bye, Holly.'

Ada waved as well, 'Bye Holly and thanks again for staying over tonight. You don't know how much it means to me.'

Holly shrugged with a little blush. She was slightly in awe of Ada who she thought was the quintessential lady and who she aspired to be once she was older...well older than her sixteen year old self.

'It's cool, Ada. Have fun and shall ring if anything happens.'

Ada nodded with a grateful smile then walked out of her flat arm in arm with Jemima. The night had better be worth her time!

***

Okay. Right. She could do this.

Ada took in deep, gulping breaths as her heart thudded rapidly in her chest. She had not seen so many people and so much...wealth all crammed up in one room at a go. Well, except on the telly!

She gazed around trying to do so coolly, although her rapidly spinning eyes belied that fact.

'You didn't tell me it was going to be this...fancy!' Ada hissed at Jemima quietly.

'If I did you wouldn't have come. And anyway, since when did fancy have a category of 'this fancy'? Chin up, you ninny and smile. Guys are looking this way already.' Jemima hissed back.

Ada quickly forced a smile as they made their way through guests.

'Looking at you, more like.' She whispered.

Jemima rolled her eyes so skilfully that only the very observant would have seen the roundabout motion of her eyes, and this included the likes of Ada.

'I saw that.'

'Good.' Was the reply.

Before Ada could launch an appropriate scolding, a lady decked in a long, red, cocktail dress and blinding diamonds at her lobe and neck spotted Jemima and cooed a loud, 'Jemima darling.'

Jemima mumbled under her breath, 'Fuckwittage,' before cooing back just as loudly, 'Hyacinth, wherever have you been, darling? Absolute yonks.'

Ada hid a smile as she watched them air kiss, more than an inch between their respective cheeks.

'Darling, I don't think I've seen you since...why forever?' Hyacinth breathed, her left hand waving about her artfully coiffed hair, the large blue diamond on her fourth finger threatening to take out a few discreetly placed hair pins.

Ada immediately clocked that she was drawing attention to her ring but she did not say a word. She had been ignored like she was invisible so why make the fake blonde happy?

Jemima replied, staring straight at Hyacinth's face and acting like the hand was not a part of her body, 'It has, has it not? Been a very busy bee these past months. Flying here and there...and how was...Barbados was it? News is Pierre acquired a villa there for the both of you.'

Hyacinth laughed, batting her eyes furiously like she was trying to dislodge a trapped fly, 'You heard that? Oh dear me, and it was meant to be a secret between the both of us.'

Ada barely stifled a snort. Secret, unh-hunh.

Hyacinth continued, 'Well, Pierre surprised me with that gorgeous villa. It's by the beach you know? Anyway, was I surprised when he showed it to me, I believe I even fainted.'

'Fainted?' Ada could not resist asking.

Hyacinth glanced at her irritated then smiled quickly, 'Swooned. Yes, swooned I think. Anyway, you would never believe why he bought that villa for me?'

Jemima smiled expectantly.

'You have to guess, Jemima!'

'Was it your birthday?'

'No.' Hyacinth shook her head giggling excitedly.

'Anniversary?' Jemima guessed again.

'No.'

'Just for the fun of it? Because he could? Err...funeral?' Jemima asked.

Ada quickly turned her guffaw into a cough. This party was definitely interesting.

Hyacinth's smile had slowly faded away as Jemima threw her guesses and now Hyacinth looked near hysterical.

'No you foo...funny girl.' She quickly ended with a forced smile.

It was clear to everyone what she had been about to call Jemima.

Jemima simply arched an eyebrow, 'Then tell me. You know how awful I am at guessing games.'

Hyacinth raised both eyebrows signifying a 'Clearly'.

'It was for our engagement. We're engaged. Can you not see my ring?'

She shoved the hand she had been waving about in Jemima's face.

Jemima widened her eyes with an, 'Ohmigod I can't believe I didn't see something this...huge! It's gorgeous.'

Soothed by her response, Hyacinth smiled again, 'I know, it's simply stunning. I mean, I didn't choose it but it's something I would have chosen...which shows how much he knows and loves me.'

Retch.com, Ada thought as she turned her bored gaze and attention away from the daft gushing taking place. As she looked around, she saw something that made her heart freeze. Was that...

'So, I have to go now, but I promise to come visit you and pay that ring the exact attention it deserves. Come on, Ada. We mustn't keep Lady Amelia waiting.' Jemima said as she smiled at a blinking Hyacinth while dragging a confused Ada away.

Ada looked back again but could not see the side view of who she had just spotted. She turned back to Jemima, her heart rate slowing down to normal.

'Lady Amelia?'

Jemima rolled her eyes as she walked as quickly as she could away from Hyacinth, 'Well, what other name could I come up with so quickly? Amelia sounds like a Lady's name anyway. I had to get away from that talkative cow before I crammed her ring down her throat. Surprise, my beautiful bottom. She has that daft geriatric Frenchie round her fingers and I cannot believe he doesn't realise it's all for the money. He's eighty six for Pete's sake.'

Ada giggled, 'Wow. I truly have a lot to catch up on. I can't believe this stuff happens in real life. So like a Jackie Collin's novel.'

Jemima nodded in agreement.

'Okay, time to get some much needed champers. I for one need something to wash away the taste of that awful girl, and, according to my sources, they're serving Veuve Grande Dame.'

'Vintage Veuve?' Ada asked impressed, 'Wow, what's this party for again?'

'Some celebration of a charity event gone right.' Jemima replied as she spied a waiter going round with champagne flutes and snagged two glasses for her and Ada.

'Interesting. Anyway...' Ada's voice trailed off again.

Jemima looked at her confused, 'You alright hun?'

'Yeah...it's just that...I swear that guy over there looks like someone I know.'

Jemima turned to who Ada was looking at.

'Are you completely sure? Because that's Paddy Bowell-Smythe, some incredibly wealthy guy who's like intensely popular. Maybe you saw his photo somewhere.'

Ada had tuned out the moment she heard the name Paddy. It could not be! Maybe it was a different Paddy, although her heart was telling her that she was deluding herself.

'Ada? Are you positive you're okay? You look...well, as impossible as this sounds, you look really pale.' Jemima looked very concerned as she stared at Ada.

Ada shook her head giving a little laugh, 'No. I'm just wondering if Holly's okay, she hasn't rung me you know? And with...'

Jemima cut her off immediately, 'Oh psshh, Ada! Stop being silly, woman. You told Holly to ring if there was any problem and she hasn't rung yet so stop worrying. And drink some more. Here let me snag some more of this absolutely delish...'

Ada gasped as her eyes connected with a pair of disbelieving blue eyes.

Oh shit.

It was Tarquin.

Jemimia turned and saw Ada looking at the man she knew as Paddy. Then she saw the way he was staring at her too. And everything fell into place.

'He's the one?' She asked quietly.

Ada nodded once.

'He's the...' Jemima quickly shut up as she saw him start moving towards them.

'He's coming this way.' She whispered furiously.

Ada broke her stare from Tarquin to mutter sarcastically, 'Noooo. Of course he is, idiot.'

She turned round again and drew in a swift breath as he stepped directly in front of her.

'Hello, Ada.'

Ada nearly swooned herself as his familiar deep voice weaved its spell around her.

'Hello Tarquin.' She squeaked.

Jemima looked at the two of them, opened her mouth to say something, shut it then nodded before turning round and making herself scarce.

Ada looked after her forlornly, like her favourite toy was being taken away from her.

She turned back to look at Tarquin and saw him staring at her so intently, as if she were going to disappear right before his eyes.

'You look well.' He stated. That was an understatement, she looked like a goddess.

'As do you.' Ada replied inanely. Then smiled shyly before looking away.

Tarquin stared at her, his formally cool gaze softening. He opened his mouth ready to ask her how life was but instead said, 'You left without saying anything to me. Was it that bad?'

Ada looked around not seeing anything. She had not expected him to confront her about what happened. It was not like he looked for her.

She tried to laugh silkily but it cracked, 'Yes I did. I thought it was better that way.'

His gaze turned back to its previous hardened state, 'And you thought so why?'

Ada replied swiftly, 'Why do you care now? It's not like you looked for me. And you definitely have the means to have done so. So don't stand there berating me like some angry fiery god when deep down you were probably relieved.'

'Well I wasn't.' He bit out angrily.

Ada looked at him with a widened stare.

He realised how furious he had sounded and quickly calmed down. He raked a hand through his hair with a weary sigh and repeated, this time quietly, 'No I wasn't. Not relieved. Far from it. I looked for you actually. I thought it would be easy seeing as you had blue hair, I mean, how difficult was it to find a black blue-haired girl with a unique name such as Ada? I was wrong. It was a bit difficult seeing as you had blue hair and I take it that's something you did as a spur of the moment thing...this hair really suits you by the way. Anyway, it was difficult and I don't know why I cared so much. You obviously didn't think that what we did meant something. It may have been a one night stand to you but it was not to me. You mattered. I think I fell...felt something that night that I had never felt before. But you left.'

Ada just stared at him, her eyes wide and partially hidden underneath her fringe. She had heard all that he said. He was so impassioned. It had happened ages ago, but the way he spoke it seemed like it happened just yesterday. He sounded like...no, it could not be possible. Did he fancy her? Had he fancied her before, and maybe, just maybe, he still had feelings for her?

She blew her fringe out of her face and took a deep breath before opening her mouth.

But she was cut off by a plumy voice which stated clearly, and sweetly, 'Paddy? I've been looking all over for you, Randolph Featherington's been asking for you, you know. He's a rather impatient little man, but such contacts are priceless.'

The icily beautiful blonde with piercing grey eyes suddenly noticed the shell-shocked Ada who had been staring back at her.

'Oh dear, forgive my appalling manners, but I didn't quite see you. I'm Therese Duvall, and you are?' She stretched out her slender hand.

Beautiful long fingers with oval shaped nails that looked glossy without looking tacky.

And adorned with a simple piece of jewellery.

A large yellow diamond set on a platinum band. Placed on the fourth finger of her left hand.

Ada gulped and gave her unadorned hand to be shaken.

'Ada Mordi.'

Therese cracked a cool smile, 'How delightfully African.' She turned round dismissively to a silent Tarquin and said, 'So, darling. I take it you're talking to Miss...Mordi? Do round it off as quickly as you can and come over to Randolph. We must talk to him and get him to invite us round for supper or something of that sort.' She placed a quick kiss on his lips and walked off without looking back at either of them.

Ada and Tarquin stood in silence for a few seconds.

'Well, you 'must' go over and talk to him now, mustn't you?' Ada asked sweetly.

Tarquin replied softly, yet firmly, 'Look Ada, we have to talk...'

'No Tarquin...sorry Paddy, we don't. Now I have to look for my friend.'

She turned, ready to walk off but Tarquin grabbed her arm, stopping her from moving.

'Wait. Ada, please just wait. Let's meet up for coffee. Or something. Let's just sit down and talk properly. I really want to get to know you properly. To be friends.'

Ada smiled coldly and replied, 'I don't think that's a very good idea, Ta...Paddy. Your life seems very perfect and I don't think you really need me as a friend.'

'I do. And please don't call me Paddy. Not like that.'

Ada laughed shortly, 'Like how? As I recall, you told me you were known as Paddy by your friends and wanted me to call you that. It is your name is it not? What everyone seems to know you as anyway. It doesn't matter. If things go wonderfully, then you won't ever have to hear that name again as I shall not be seeing you to call you that. Now let go off me.'

Tarquin stared at her for a second then let go, 'As you wish.'

'Have a nice life, Paddy.' Ada said softly then walked away and towards the main doors.

As she got there, Jemima rushed to her side as if she had been waiting for her there and simply said, 'Taxi?'

Ada replied just as simply, 'Please.'

***

Tarquin stared after Ada as she walked off. He had never forgotten her. Not really. She had always been at the back of his mind. Even when he met Therese through mutual acquaintances and they started their relationship. He had asked her to marry him because he did not think he could ever love anybody and she was suitable since they understood each other and seemed a competent match. She had replied in the affirmative and he had resolved himself to the thought that he would never come in contact with Ada again.

Then he saw her. Just two days after asking Therese to marry him.

The Powers that Be were indeed cruel.

He remembered how he had felt the moment he spotted her from across the room. His heart had thudded painfully and he had felt cold all over. Just for that moment. All that he had felt, the way he had looked for her. Everything...they all went through his mind.

Just for that moment.

And he had been unable to stop himself from moving towards her. From talking to her. From touching her.

Yes her hair was different, and she seemed thinner, and her face...like she had been through some hardship. But that did not detract from her beauty. She still looked amazing. Even with the fringe hiding her face, he had still recognised her from across the room. He could never forget her face, her body, her...he could never forget her.

He started, startled as Therese slipped an arm through his and said quietly, 'I understand if that was one of your...girls from your past but I'm with you now and I would prefer if you behaved appropriately...like a man with a fiancée.'

She turned round ready to walk off with him but he stopped her with his linked arm.

'And I understand if you are thrilled with the fact that you have 'landed' the right catch with me, but I will not have you calling her 'my girl'; in fact I will not have you being insulting towards me or my past. You may be my fiancée but that gives you no right to be rude. I hope you keep that in mind, my dear. And don't ever make this mistake again. Ever.'

12