One Who Understands

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You have something you want to say, Zoe?" Grace said.

"The first time I had sex with Ed, it was Saturday morning and he was resistant at first. I didn't know why he was acting that way but I was... insistent. He got this look in his eye and he finally took me. Hard! It was amazing! Then I goaded him, made him chase me, and the second time he took me it was intensely passionate and raw! I have never had better! But I don't think that is his normal way of having sex."

All of the women were squirming at the thought of Ed being aggressive during sex. Stephanie was particularly affected and moaned quietly. This caused the others to realize their own states of lust and a nervous chuckling erupted.

"You, especially, will need to speak with Ed about continuing your relationship with him. He has to know he has a say in the decision. If he isn't comfortable then it's done. It's as simple as that. Is that clear?" Grace said, pinning the woman with her eyes. Zoe nodded, biting her lip.

"When is Ed coming home?" Rachel asked.

"Mishka told me it would be tomorrow. He'll be off limits for about a week as he has to heal." Grace once more caught the eyes of the women and saw they all understood.

"I have to say Grace, I'm deeply moved, and thankful, for your trust. Most wouldn't be able to cope with the idea of another woman in their mate's life." Angie said with frank admiration.

"I love Ed. He loves me. As I said, he's a special man. Even after 'being intimate with you' as he called it he wants to be with me. He's not capable of being dishonest. That gives me strength. I want him to be happy. I see how much you all genuinely care for Ed. I saw how you were all there for him when he was hurt. I wouldn't deny him friends like that!"

"I feel a group hug coming on," Carolyn teased and they all laughed.

"We should have a barbeque tomorrow as a welcome home for Ed!" Rachel said with enthusiasm.

Faces brightened up. Everyone started speaking at once about what they'd bring. This turned into happy laughter.

"It's settled then!" Rachel said beaming at her friends.

Chapter 39

Ed stood in his new room looking in awe at where he'd be living.

"If you don't like anything, the paint color, the window coverings, the bedspread, even the furniture, we can change it," Rachel said nervously, standing with Grace behind him.

He turned to look at her in shock. "Are you kidding? This is amazing! So much better than my old room in the basement of Shirley's home." At the mention of her name he frowned sadly.

Grace stepped forward and gave him a hug. "I know it hurts but she made her choice and she has to live with it. Speaking of decisions I have to go to work and see if I still have a job. Wish me luck!"

She leaned up and kissed Ed on the lips and he sighed with happiness. She giggled and left with a smile on her face.

Rachel looked up at Ed's happy expression. She felt a little nervous and almost chickened out. Then she steeled herself and cleared her throat to bring him back to the present.

"Ed, did Grace speak with you about us? Specifically Angie, Zoe, Stephanie, Carolyn and myself?" she asked cautiously.

"Yes, we talked on the way back from the hospital. Grace is the most amazing woman," Ed said with a smile.

"She certainly is." Rachel agreed. "Have you made any decisions?"

"She wants me to speak with each of you. To tell you how I feel when I am with you. So you know if I'm feeling forced into something I'm not comfortable with," he explained.

"And..." Rachel breathed, her chest tightening.

"I'm in awe that you'd want to spend time with me. You're so beautiful and elegant. You take my breath away and I can't think straight when I'm with you. It may be selfish but I don't want that to end," he said and watched her face burst into a dazzling smile. Once more he was overwhelmed by the sheer magnitude of her beauty.

Rachel wanted desperately to pull Ed down onto the bed and make love to him all day long but she knew he needed to heal. Tears of joy welled in her eyes and she wiped them away. "Thank you Edward. I'd also like that very much."

"I also can't thank you enough for taking us in. I don't understand how Shirley can do this to Grace who was there for her mother for so many years. I... don't understand," Ed said softly with a troubled expression.

Rachel knew Ed had trouble comprehending some behavior and it had to be painful to receive it from someone he admired. She wanted to ease his pain. She knew a way to distract him.

"Ed, do you know how to use a barbeque?" she asked and he looked at her in surprise.

"Yes."

"Could you come with me to the grocers to pick up the steaks we are going to have tonight? We should also pick up extra groceries as we have two more mouths to feed," she asked.

"Sure!" he smiled.

They went to the garage. "When you are feeling up to it I was going to ask you to move that stuff in the third space back against the walls so Grace can park her car in the garage as well," Rachel said.

"That would be great! Thanks!" Ed grinned.

They got into her sporty little coupe and Rachel drove them to a grocery store Ed had never been to before.

"Wow! This place is fancy!" Ed exclaimed as he pushed the cart down the aisle. "I don't recognize most of these brands." Then he caught sight of the prices. He leaned closer to Rachel and she smiled up at him. "Uh, this place is kind of expensive. I'm sure we could get our groceries at a much better price over at Duncan's Superfoods," he whispered.

She grinned and whispered back. "You can do that next week."

When he stood back upright he wobbled a little and she braced his arm. "Sorry, Mishka warned me the drugs would make me a little light headed. I guess she wasn't wrong," he said with a strained smile.

"We'll just get the groceries and go home so you can relax," Rachel said patting his arm.

"Is he alright?"

Rachel turned around and saw Victoria. Damn!

"Hello Victoria. Yes, he's just a little light headed from his medication," she answered.

"Hi Mrs. Rutledge!" Ed smiled.

"Victoria! Please, 'Mrs. Rutledge' makes me feel old!" she pouted her perfect lower lip out and Ed's eyes locked on to the red kissable flesh.

"Sorry," he mumbled and her pout quickly became a smile.

"When I was called yesterday and told you wouldn't be able to do the service call they offered to send someone else. I told them I'd wait until you were back. They told me you were out on medical leave for the week. Imagine my surprise to bump into you here," the blonde said looking between them. There was a strange edge to her tone.

"Ed was just released from the hospital this morning. I need to keep an eye on him but we needed groceries," Rachel said.

"Oh! Are you his nurse now?" Victoria said sweetly but the edge was still there.

"Rachel is amazing!" Ed gushed and the redhead looked at him in surprise then struggled to contain her grin.

"Thank you Ed. We should get moving. I don't want to keep you out for too long," she said seriously.

"It was really nice seeing you again Victoria. I look forward to getting back to work and doing that service call," he said to the blond taking her hand.

Rachel saw the woman's cheeks pink up with a flush as he engulfed her hand in his. Victoria could only nod and smile distractedly. Ed really undid the woman's poise. Rachel quite enjoyed seeing that.

She led Ed away and they began to pick up the items they needed. Ed continued to quietly cluck his tongue at the prices and Rachel kept the grin off her lips but couldn't suppress the twinkle in her eyes.

They reached the butcher's counter and Rachel greeted the man standing behind it. She let him know how many guests she was going to have for a barbeque dinner. The man smiled, nodded, and raised a finger to indicate she should wait then walked into the back. He came back with a tray of freshly cut steaks. Ed's mouth began to water. Rachel nodded and the man packaged them all up.

Ed's eyes bugged out when he saw the price sticker.

Rachel patted his hand and led him to the next aisle. When they were done she led him to the cash and their cart was full. Victoria was two carts behind in the next aisle but her cart was only half full. She looked a little out of sorts about how Ed was paying so much attention to Rachel.

Truthfully Victoria was feeling something she hadn't felt in a long time. Jealousy. She was far more familiar with being the center of attention and getting what she wanted. For her it was more than a simple annoyance. She needed the attention. She glanced over at the big man once more. She thought he was handsome enough and his body was incredible but there was something else about him she was drawn to... She couldn't put her finger on it but she wanted it. She felt slightly ill knowing that Rachel was getting the attention she craved and deserved.

Rachel led Ed out of the grocery store but she didn't let him carry any of the bags. Instead they were followed by a young man pushing their cart. The grocery clerk proceeded to load the bags into the trunk. With a nod he rushed back to the store with the cart.

Ed got into the car with Rachel and she patted his leg as he looked so confused.

"I don't think I could get used to being treated like that. I'm capable of carrying my own groceries," he said.

"Like I said, next week when you are better you can get groceries where you like to shop. I like being treated so well and Ed, you make me VERY happy!" she smiled over at him.

He smiled shyly at her and she felt a warmth flow over her. She left the parking lot with a wide smile on her face and missed catching Victoria's look of envy and frustration.

They unloaded the groceries back at the house and Rachel shooed Ed out onto the patio to rest on a lounge chair in the shade. Within minutes he was asleep.

He awoke with the feeling of lips on his forehead again. Grace. He smiled without opening his eyes. "Hi Grace."

"Hi Ed."

There was something in her voice that wasn't right. He opened his eyes and blinked at her. "What happened? What's wrong?"

"I lost my job," she said quietly, her lips trembling.

"WHAT?" Ed gasped. This made NO sense! She was an excellent worker and always took on extra shifts when they needed her. How could they treat her this way?

Rachel rushed out onto the deck. "I heard Ed yell. Is everything ok?"

Ed was shaking his head and she saw him slump back to the lounge chair and put his hand to his temple. Dizzy again.

He looked over at Grace. "How could they do this to you?"

"It wasn't Mr. Chambers or anyone in HR. They fought for me but head office wouldn't accept it. There was just too much of a risk for a lawsuit if they didn't distance me from the company," she said sadly. "I had to go."

"I'm so sorry." Rachel said.

"I didn't like the job but it was the only one I could find," Grace said. "Worse news is, Shirley cleaned us out. I connected to the bank and our account is empty. There was only five grand in there but it was partly ours. Getting it back will be a nightmare. She's a vicious bitch."

"Actually there was seven grand in there. I added two last Friday," Ed said.

Grace's face began to show her rage surfacing. Ed struggled to sit up and that defused her as she helped him. He wobbled for a second then looked into her eyes. "Woo, this stuff is strong!"

She chuckled and smiled at his sweet grin.

"I don't want you to worry about your job. I don't want you to worry about the money Shirley took. She didn't have access to all of our accounts," Ed said.

"Yes she did! It's all gone!" Grace asserted.

"No, she didn't," Ed said looking her right in the eye. "I've been saving money in a separate account. For years. Whatever little money I had extra. The bonus I got last week, I only added two thousand of it to the house account. The rest went into my account. I don't want you to look for a full time job. You're so special! You're so smart! You were supposed to go to college before Shirley's accident. I want you to apply to college again. I have about twenty four thousand in the account. I should be able to pay for your tuition. For the first couple of years at least. I'll keep adding to the account. I get a good paycheque now and if I keep working as hard I may get more bonuses."

Grace sat back stunned. She had no idea Ed had been doing this. Depriving himself to save up to get her dream of college back. The scope of his generosity was staggering.

Rachel's eyes were glowing. This is what made Ed so special. "What field are you going to go into?" she asked the young woman.

She looked at Rachel and her mouth worked but she wasn't able to say anything.

"Finance," Ed replied for her. "She was going into accounting."

"Forensic Accounting." Grace mumbled, still overwhelmed.

"They offer a course in that at the local college?" Rachel asked.

"Yes. Grace had been accepted as well but when Shirley hurt her back Grace had to give up on her future to take care of her mother and I. This is why I don't understand how Shirley can treat you like this!" Ed insisted.

Grace shared a look with Rachel.

Ed's stomach rumbled and the ladies chuckled. "Did I miss lunch?" he asked.

Once they'd eaten Rachel and Grace went online and got on the phone to sign Grace up for her courses. There was still availability for the fall semester and they still had her old transcript on file so she was in. Grace was ecstatic! She squealed and hugged Rachel and Ed especially.

They spent the rest of the day relaxing and planning for the barbeque. When the ladies went into the kitchen to prepare some salads they sent Ed upstairs to unpack and put on something nice.

It didn't take him long to unpack. He came back downstairs in the black singlet and the grey checked shorts. The ladies smiled at him.

"These aren't the only nice clothes Edward has are they?" Rachel asked Grace.

"I'm afraid so. Ed only dressed himself in cheap baggy pants and discount sleeveless t-shirts. He won't spend money on himse-" she stopped as she realized why. All those years. She looked at Ed again as her eyes welled up with tears.

"Hey! No crying at the party!" Ed said as he walked over and pulled her against his chest.

"I think it may be time for a fashion make-over." Rachel said with a grin. Grace turned her head to look at her and nodded with a grin of her own. "I just so happen to have a few friends that would like to get in on that!" Rachel continued and Grace's grin got wider as Ed began to look a little worried. "Something to discuss at the party tonight!"

Grace released Ed and rushed over to give Rachel a hug.

Ed's smile and look of admiration warmed Rachel to her toes.

Their guests began arriving a little after seven. Ed was on the patio preparing the barbeque. Angie walked out to speak with Ed as he preheated the grill.

"Hi Edward. How are you feeling?" she said.

"I feel good as long as I don't try to move quickly or tilt my head too much. Then the world starts spinning," he said with a grin. She returned his smile then her expression became a little nervous.

"I understand Grace spoke to you about our interest in continuing to see you. She's asked us to speak with you individually."

"I would love to continue visiting you. I'm not extending that to Isabelle. I hope you don't mind. She's not ready." Ed said seriously. "Grace told me that she helped save me and I'm grateful for that. I hope she didn't get in trouble with the police."

Angie smiled and gave Ed a hug. "You're a good man Edward. Isabelle isn't in trouble with the police. She's in trouble with me. She's on probation, doing babysitting duty until I'm assured she's reformed. She has the time now that the college expelled her. However, she showed good judgement when she called out for help. So that's a start."

She went back into the house and passed Stephanie who was almost shaking with nerves. She was carrying a large platter of steaks.

"Hi Ed!" she squeaked.

Ed glanced at her and smiled. "Hi Stephanie! Those for me?" he grinned.

She giggled and he took the platter. He had a selection of spiced sauces he'd prepared earlier. He understood some liked their steaks a little spicy while others did not so he made two different mixtures.

Stephanie stood at his elbow chewing at her bottom lip.

"How goes your divorce proceedings?" he asked.

"GOOD! Sorry, it's going well. My lawyer tells me I should have it finalized by the end of next week. The documentation I have of his infidelity is damning and the judge should find in my favor very quickly. I even have two of the women he was sleeping with willing to testify against him. He knows he can't win."

Ed smiled. "End of next week. We should celebrate when the paperwork is finalized," he said with a wink. Stephanie's smile was huge and she was back to trembling but now it was excitement.

"Could I ask you for a glass of water? Working next to the barbeque is hot work!" he said.

"YES! I mean, coming right up," she bounced on her toes and skipped back to the house.

Ed smiled. He liked seeing her happy.

Carolyn was up next and she brought him a tall glass of chilled water. She watched Ed brush the mixtures onto the steaks and place them on the hot grills. The steaks sizzled and Ed brushed their tops once more being careful to use the proper mix on each steak. He had an intense look of concentration on his face as he did this.

Once he closed the lid he took the glass and drank half in one shot. "Oh, that hit the spot! Thanks!"

"You're most welcome," she smiled.

Ed was still a little unsettled by how he'd been... involved in Carolyn's marriage ending. "So... have you uh... heard from Rick?" he tried to say nonchalantly but Carolyn smiled at his awkward delivery.

"Rick's in the hospital in Phuket, Thailand. He's in pretty bad shape," she said sadly.

"What happened?" Ed gasped. He opened the lid of the barbeque and flipped the steaks, meticulously brushing more mix onto the cooking meat. He closed the lid again and gave her his full attention.

"Do you recall the two ladyboys Rick was partying with that night?" she asked and Ed nodded. "It seems their friends weren't too happy about the injuries Rick inflicted on them. A large group of them returned and beat Rick to within an inch of his life. I'm his emergency contact but the doctors told me he's not going to make it."

"I'm so sorry! That's terrible!" Ed exclaimed.

"I've been preparing myself for this kind of news for years. Rick really wasn't very smart about his immersion methods. He always went in too deep without understanding all of the social rules. It was just a matter of time. That said, I'm still sad that this part of my life is ending so badly. I had hoped he would realize how much he had thrown away."

Ed reached out and hugged Carolyn. No words were necessary. She sighed with contentment. "Thank you Ed. That's exactly what I needed. I'm going to spend a little time getting perspective on how my life has changed. Would it be alright if sometime in the future I called on you?"

"Yes, I'd like that."

She gave him an extra squeeze then released him to walk back into the house.

Ed checked the steaks and they were done. He transferred them back to the platter and kept their order so he knew which ones were which.

He shut off the barbeque and carried the platter back into the house. The table was set and the women were sitting around it talking. Zoe glanced up at him then looked away quickly and licked her lips nervously.

Ed served the steaks to the ladies ensuring each got the correct one. The need for his meticulous order keeping was done so he allowed himself to relax.

When he sat the salads were passed around and Ed discovered someone had brought a Jello salad. Orange with little mandarin orange wedges and marshmallows. His eyes lit up and he put a large scoop on his plate. He heard giggling and looked up to see Stephanie's huge smile and Carolyn rolling her eyes.

1...2526272829...32