Only When It Rains

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Not bad, Michael, not bad at all," she smiled, "But this one, dear boy, came with a Four Fifty-Five, and there are three hundred horses under the hood, not two hundred fifty, and, it has a standard transmission instead of the factory automatic."

"Holy shit," I gasped, amazed, "That means this car is one of only six hundred and fifty ever made....very cool."

"Make that six hundred and forty-six, "Marlee proudly replied, "And I'm glad you like it. You'll have to take a ride in it with me sometime."

"Sure," I smiled, "Any time."

It was about that time that Aunt Rita chose to come out onto the front porch and greet Marlee. "Hi, pretty girl," Aunt Rita cooed, as they hugged, "I'm very glad you could come. We are almost ready to eat."

"Oh, that reminds me," Marlee smiled, turning back to her car and leaning into the open window, "I brought you a surprise, Ms. Rita." It was all I could do not to stare at her ass as she bent into the car to retrieve a foil covered plate. "I roasted some Piquillo Peppers, but I don't think they'll be as good as yours."

Lifting the edge of the foil from around the plate, Aunt Rita took a whiff, and smiling, replied, "It smells delightful. I'm quite sure they nothing less than perfect, sweetheart."

~~~~~~

The steaks were perfect, as were the peppers that Marlee roasted. Aunt Rita made my favorite food, Paella, with Calasparra rice. Paella is a saffron and rice casserole, garnished with rabbit, mussels, and clams, cooked in a flat shallow pan over an open fire. It serves as a multitude of purposes as an entrée, a side dish and/or an appetizer. And of course there were baked potatoes for me and Uncle Jake. But the crème de la crème was the wine. It was a Malbec from the Ribera del Duego area of Spain. It has a nice rich flavor like a good Merlot, only a bit fuller in taste, which complimented the steaks perfectly.

My conversations with Marlee throughout the evening were absolutely great. I was delighted to find that she was not only even more beautiful that I first realized, but she was extremely intelligent and very well educated. Simply talking with her stimulated me on so many levels to the point that, I found myself really taking the time to think before I spoke.

"I understand that you were an Engineer for the Peace Corps, Michael," Marlee said, "What was it like?"

"How did you know that?" I asked, perturbed, but honestly trying not to let it show.

"Please don't be angry, Michael," squeaked Aunt Rita, "But I told her."

"Aw hell, Aunt Rita," I laughed, relenting, "I guess if you told her then its okay."

"I think that ya'll ought to leave him alone," Uncle Jake chuckled, the effects of the wine apparent in the slur of his speech.

"In answer to your question, Marlee," I replied, "It was very different, and I enjoyed it until my wife died. After that I just lost interest in it."

"Michael, I hope you don't mind that I asked Ms. Rita about you," Marlee cautiously replied, "She told me how your wife died, and I wanted to let you know how sorry I was to have heard that.

"Thank you, Marlee," I smiled relaxing now, "That was a very nice of you."

~~~~~~

"I had a very nice time tonight, Michael," Marlee smiled, as I walked her to her car, "Be sure to tell your Aunt and Uncle that I said thank you, as well."

"Thank you for coming out," I replied, making sure she was safely in her car, "I'll be sure to tell them what you said."

Marlee got into her car, and after rolling down the window and starting the engine, she smiled and said, "We'll have to do this again sometime soon."

"That would be nice," I replied, and then watched her as she slowly drove back up the driveway to the road.

There was no doubt at all that Marlee was a very beautiful young woman. However, I knew that, number one, she was too young for me, and number two; I really wasn't ready to get into another relationship....of any kind. But still, maybe it would be nice to have a friend to talk to, and maybe Uncle Jake and Aunt Rita were right when they'd said that I needed to start getting out more often.

~~~~~~

Chapter Two

I woke up the next morning feeling very refreshed. After I'd made my bed and finished my preparations to start a new day, I went into the kitchen to find Uncle Jake and Aunt Rita sitting down in the breakfast nook having coffee.

"G'mornin', boy," Uncle Jake smiled, "You want some coffee?"

"I'll get it," I smiled, as I saw Aunt Rita about to get up from the table, "You finish your coffee, Aunt Rita."

"Thank you, Michael," Aunt Rita cooed, "I made some Huevos Rancheros if you're hungry."

"Oh, yeah," I hungrily smiled, "That would be great."

After I'd filled my plate with Huevos Rancheros, got some coffee and then sat down and began to eat, Uncle Jake smiled and asked me, "So, what're your plans for today, kiddo?"

"I thought that I would repair the fence line that I didn't get to yesterday," I said.

"Don't worry about it," Uncle Jake smiled, "I already took care of it. Besides, I want you to take the day off and go surfing."

"I can't go surfing," I laughed, "There's too much work to do around here."

"It'll be here when you get back," Uncle Jake sternly replied, then smiled, "You haven't had a full day off in quite a while. Now....take the day off and go surfing like I told you."

"Aye, aye, Captain," I laughed, giving him a mock salute.

~~~~~~

Once I'd ridden a few waves and had taken the salt air into my lungs, my head began to clear, and I had to admit that Uncle Jake had been right all along. The beach was just what I needed right then, and to top if all off; I began to really feel good again. So, I spent the rest of that afternoon frolicking in the water and riding the waves.

~~~~~~

"So, how was your day at the beach, Michael," Aunt Rita asked, "Did you have a nice time?"

"Yeah, I did," I smiled, "I had a very nice time."

"That's good to hear, boy," Uncle Jake bellowed, coming into the kitchen from the back of the house. Then, smiling while putting his hand on my shoulder, he grinned and said, "Now you can finish fixing the rest of the fence tomorrow."

"Okay, Uncle Jake," I laughed, "What ever you say."

~~~~~~

That night as I lay in my bed asleep, it began to rain outside. I was dreaming that I was back on the beach, and out of nowhere, my beautiful Jane appeared right in front of me.

"Hello Michael," she cooed, "How are you, my darling?"

"Jane," I breathlessly cried, "Oh, I've missed you so much."

"I know you have, my love," she purred, taking me into her arms, "And I've missed you, too." The moment she touched me I felt at peace, her body against mine, keep warm my heart and soul like no other power on earth.

"I've been miserable without you, Jane," I cried, while she held my head to her breast.

"I know my love," she softly said, while gently pulling away from me to look into my eyes. Suddenly the skies grew dark, and I saw a look of fear on her face, and then all at once; a blinding bolt of lightning flashed, its thunder jarring me from my sleep.

When I awoke, the rain was drizzling down my bedroom window and my beautiful Jane was gone. It took only milliseconds before I felt the sting of tears as they filled my eyes and ran down my face.

"Tell me, God," I prayed aloud, looking out the window toward the heavens, "When is this going to end? I'm trying hard to understand all of this; I really am. But I'm having such a hard time trying," and then I could no longer continue, as I began to bitterly weep. I hated feeling like I did, and I hated not knowing what to do about it; but most of all, I hated the rain....

~~~~~~

I'd spent most of the morning repairing the fence line that I was supposed to have done the day before, but you know what happened there. Any way...for me, the work day started at seven-thirty and ended at four. I liked it that way, because I could work by myself all day long. I also seemed to get more done than when I work with someone else, i.e. Uncle Jake and always stopping to make a phone call or get a drink of water...you know...lol...Still though, when it came right down to it, I just preferred working alone.

On a stock ranch there is always something that needs to be done, and this day was no different. I had just finished the last of the fence line around eleven o'clock when I saw Uncle Jake's truck coming toward me. By the time I'd finished stowing all my tools in my truck, Uncle Jake pulled up and got out of his.

"Hey Mikey," he said, walking toward me, "I need you to go to town for me this afternoon."

"Sure," I replied, "What for?"

"Jimmy Higgins called the house a little while ago," Uncle Jake said grinning, "He's finally finished the two saddles I ordered back last winter.

"No problem," I smiled, "I'll go right now."

Uncle Jake smiled while looking at his watch, and said "Hell, get yourself some lunch, too, while you're in town; and take your time coming back."

"Okay, I will," I grinned, looking back, "Thanks, Uncle Jake."

~~~~~~

As I drove into town the memories of the bad dream I'd had the night before began to take a toe hold in my heart. Although it hurt like nothing you could imagine, I still kept, or at least tried to keep a strong front. However, all of that went to hell in a hand basket when the memories of being in my beautiful Jane's arms, and how it felt, came back to mind. Thankfully, I was driving down a private road as I had to pull over and rid myself of the torment inside of me. I must've wept for a good ten minutes before I got it back together, started the truck up, and then continued on into town.

~~~~~~

James 'Jimmy' Higgins was an oil rigger that got hurt in a drilling accident, and he now had his own riding tackle shop. Because of all the ranches in the county, he had plenty of business to keep him busy all year around; also, he and Uncle Jake met when they served together in Vietnam so, they trusted one another implicitly.

"Hey, Michael," smiled Jim Higgins, when I walked into his shop, "How are you, m'boy?"

"I'm doing well, Mister Higgins," I grinned, "How are you?"

"Not bad, young Michael," he grinned, "Not bad at all. I've got those two riding saddles ready for you to pick up, but I'll need you to pull up around to the back of the store."

After picking up the saddles and loading them into the back of my truck, I thanked Jimmy and then took off.

~~~~~~

I pulled my truck into Granny's Restaurant, not too far from the high school, and got out then went in. As soon as I sat down, I heard a familiar voice behind me say, "Well, hello there, handsome. What're you doing here?" I turned around to find none other than Marlee herself grinning back at me. She was there with another girl I didn't know.

"Hi, Marlee," I smiled, "How are you doing?"

"Well," she playfully cooed, "I was kind of hoping that, now that you're here and all; you might come and have lunch with me at our table."

As she said this, she batted those beautiful blue eyes, rendering me unable to deny her anything she wanted. "Sure," I smiled, getting up and moving to her table.

"Hi, Michael," Marlee smiled, as I sat down next her, "I'm glad you joined us."

"Hi, yourself," I chuckled, "And thanks for inviting me."

"Michael, "I'd like to introduce you to my best friend in the whole world, Kelly Peterson," Marlee excitedly replied, introducing me to the other girl at the table, "Kelly, this is Michael Hayes."

"You're Mister Jake's and Ms. Rita's nephew, aren't you?" Kelly giggled, "Yeah, I've heard a lot about you lately."

"Shut up, Kelly," Marlee warned, her face rapidly turning bright red.

"What for, Lee-Lee?" Kelly teased, "You were right, girl. God, he is gorgeous, just like you said."

"Dammit, Kel," Marlee scolded, "You don't have to repeat everything I say, do you?"

"No," Kelly giggled, "But I very rarely get the chance to make you squirm so, I thought I would make the most of the opportunity." Then she turned to me, and extending her hand, said, "Hi, Michael, it's very nice to meet you."

"It's nice to meet you, too, Kelly," I replied smiling.

After all the laughter died down, Marlee smiled at me and asked, "So, what brings you into to town, Michael? I figured you'd be out somewhere working with Mister Jake."

"I came into town to pick up a couple of saddles the Jim Horton made for Uncle Jake," I said, "He told me to take my time coming back, which means he gave me the afternoon off."

"That was awfully nice of him to do that," Marlee smiled, "What're you gonna do for the rest of the afternoon?"

"I've got to take these saddles back first," I chuckled, "The after that, I don't have any plans."

"We were going to go swimming down at the river," Marlee said, "Would you like to come with us?"

"Sure," I smiled, "That would be great."

I can't remember the last time I had such a good lunch. Marlee was very attentive towards me, while Kelly smiled and talked right along with us, not missing a single opportunity to mess with Marlee in one way or another. Still though, it was all in good fun, making me remember what it was once like to have friends, something I'd been sorely lacking in the past four years.

~~~~~~

We left the restaurant and went into the parking lot. Marlee wanted to ride with me, while Kelly followed us back to the ranch. However, when we got to my truck, two guys were standing at the bed looking at the new saddles I'd just picked up earlier. They looked as though they might've either been drunk, homeless, or both, and the bigger of the two said, "Those are some nice saddles you got there."

"Thank you," I said, a bad feeling rising up from within me.

Then the man pulled out a large buck knife and growled, "We're gonna take em with us now. Do as you're told and nobody will get hurt."

As I've already said, I got into college on an athletic scholarship, but I failed earlier to mention the sport. The reason being was that, I studied Karate, Ken-Po and Moo-Duk-Kwan, both Korean styles, from the time I was eight until I was twenty-two. I earned my first Black Belt at sixteen and my second at eighteen; and then earned both my second and third Dans (degrees) in each while I was in college.

I immediately put myself between these two men and Marlee and Kelly, and to the man with the knife, said, "Look man, you really don't want to do this. Why don't you put the knife away and let's talk about this."

"There's nothing to talk about," he hissed, "Now give me those God damned saddles, boy."

"Fuck you, asshole," I arrogantly laughed, "Come and take them, you piece of shit."

He lunged forward trying to stab me with his knife. I simply side stepped him, taking hold of his arm and twisting it in the opposite direction until I heard two things, bone breaking and the man screaming as he dropped the knife. Then I kicked him square in the chest, driving him six feet backward and onto his ass, still screaming in pain.

When the other man took off running, I heard Marlee say, "Oh, no you don't, dickhead," and then I watched as she picked up a fairly nice sized rock from off of the ground. Then taking a deliberate aim, she heaved the rock very quickly and very hard. Two seconds later the rock hit the running man, a moving target, in the back of the head from a range of about ten or twelve yards, making him hit the ground and leaving me duly impressed.

~~~~~~

One of the waitresses inside the restaurant had seen what was about to take place, and recognizing the man with the knife as a trouble maker, she called the police who arrived mere moments after the fracas had died down. They took our statements, and after getting all the necessary information, left, taking the two guys that had accosted us with them.

"Damn girl," I smiled, as Marlee and I rode home, "Where did you learn to throw like that?"

"My brother taught me," she smiled, quickly holding up her breasts, "It came in handy when I started to grow these."

"Jeez, Marlee," I gasped, with her laughing at my obvious embarrassment.

~~~~~~

"I think that's a great idea," Uncle Jake smiled, when Marlee and Kelly informed him of their plans to take me swimming with them, "That boy needs to be around people his own age, and I'm quite sure you girls are just what the doctor ordered."

"Is that right?" I laughed, coming out of the house with a canvas bag hanging off of my left shoulder, "Aunt Rita packed us little bag of drinks and goodies for when we get to the river, you two."

"See there," Uncle Jake chuckled, "Even your Aunt Rita agrees with me, Michael."

~~~~~~

I rode with the girls in Kelly's truck down Blacks Ferry Road until we came upon a bridge that spanned the San Bernard River. Kelly pulled off of the road and down a shell and gravel lane that crept beneath the bridge.

"It's a twenty-five foot drop from the bridge to the water," Kelly pointedly said, trying to suppress a giggle after we all got out of the truck, "It's also one of the most exciting things you'll ever do with your clothes on."

"How deep is the water," I asked, "And have either of you done it?"

"We've both done it a bunch of times," laughed Marlee, "We grew up around here, Michael."

"Hell, that's nothing," I cockily chuckled, "If you want to want to impress me, then let's go jump off of the Intercoastal Waterway Bridge over by the beach."

"You're crazy," gasped Kelly, "That's sixty-five feet, Michael."

"So, tell me, Michael," Marlee knowingly asked, smiling, "Have you ever jumped off of it?"

"Uh...well, yeah," I shyly answered, "Once."

"Hmm," she smiled, "And?"

"And I ain't ever jumping off that damn thing again," I laughed, "It scared the living shit out of me." Of course Marlee and Kelly both laughed at me, and something as simple as hearing their voices brought a small light of new meaning into my troubled heart.

The high point of my day was watching Marlee and Kelly as they peeled off their clothes to reveal the bikinis. Oh my God, what a beautiful sight it was, too. Of course they both teased me at every given opportunity, but it was all in good-natured fun, and nothing more than that.

I ended up jumping off of the bridge four times. However, after a simple jump the first time to test the waters; I dove every time after that. It made Marlee cringe every time I did it, while Kelly simply laughed and said that I was crazy.

~~~~~~

Of course Aunt Rita insisted that Marlee and Kelly stay and eat supper with us. Uncle Jake always loved having dinner with a bunch of people, especially having three very beautiful women in the house.

"Hell, boy," he laughed at me, "It doesn't look like we're gonna need any dessert with all the sweet looking gals around here. Whadaya think, Mikey?"

I could tell that he'd been sampling some of the stores in his wine cellar by the slight smell on his breath. So, I just laughed and said, "I think you ought to share with us whatever it is that you've been drinking, Uncle Jake."

"Great thinking, Mikey Boy," he chuckled, getting up from his chair and heading to the wine cellar, "I always knew that you were a smart guy." Needless to say, Uncle Jake left a trail of female giggles in his wake as he left the room...the old dog.

~~~~~~

That night for dinner, Aunt Rita made Al Pil-Pil, which is a Basque recipe for bacalao salt cod, sautéed slowly in oil, lemon juice and garlic. The side dish was Alboronia, which is a summer vegetable combination, similar to pesto, which is typical Andalusian cuisine, and for dessert we had Dark Chocolate covered Fig Bon-Bons, known as Rabitos Royale in Spain.

"This has been so good, Ms. Rita," Marlee smiled, after dinner was over, "Thank you."

"Yes, ma'am," Kelly sweetly added, "Thank you so much. Is there anything we can do to help you?"

"You're very welcome, girls," Aunt Rita beamed, "If you want to help me, then you two can start by coming out here more often. I like having other females around to help me beat down these two banditos who live here," and of course we all laughed.

123456...8