Orphan Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Vjax
Vjax
947 Followers

"Where are your parents Alexander? Are they here or coming soon?"

Alexander was surprised by the question, it was asked with the innocence of someone who took for granted that families stayed close to each other.

"I don't know who my parents are, I'm an orphan."

Willow stopped and looked up at him. The surprise was evident on her face. She knew what an orphan was. Thinking that her new friend was one made her sad. Willow had no frame of reference to respond so she did what came naturally. She hugged the big mans leg tightly then continued walking.

Alexander marveled at the child's empathy.

"Shhhh, we're almost there."

Willows voice was quiet, almost reverent as they stepped through the thick wood into a large clearing. Alexander was speechless at what they found.

They stood on the edge of a large circular clearing. The forest was thick on all sides effectively shielding the glade from anyone who didn't know exactly where it was. The size of the clearing was impressive; Alexander placed it at nearly two hundred feet across and from what he could see it was a nearly perfect circle.

But the size and shape were not what caused his breath to catch and his heart beat begin to rise. Ringing the clearing were 29 rough hewn granite slabs. Their size was impressive as Alexander placed their height at about twenty feet. They were not the rectangular constructs like those found in Great Britain. These were more free form, some lumpy and wide others thin almost reed like. He was amazed by their sheer number and the exacting nature with which they were placed.

"What is this place Willow?" Alexander's tone was hushed almost reverent, as he slowly walked around the outside of the glade. For some reason he felt that stepping within the ring would not be proper.

Willow had no such qualms as she scampered in and around the monoliths.

"This is where we come to honor those that came before, where we pledge ourselves to each other, where we celebrate the future."

Her tone was almost giddy.

Alexander watched the carefree way she enjoyed the world. Alexander had never felt that open and easy in his own skin. However, while watching this child simply be, a kernel of hope grew that he may someday find the secret she seemed to have naturally.

"Twenty-Nine of them?" His words were a whisper, a question to himself, but Willow had heard him even though she was almost thirty feet away.

"Of course there's twenty-nine, one for each day of the moons cycle. The P...."

"Willow!"

Her words were cut off as Brad strode into the glade. It was obvious that he was not happy to find them there. Willow's eyes dropped to the ground. Alexander noted that her shoulders were shaking, she was scared.

"I'm sorry Be..."

Again Brad cut her off. But his tone was gentle.

"It's alright Willow, I was just surprised to find you and Alexander here is all." He crossed the remaining distance between them and pulled her into a tight hug. Alexander saw that Willow instantly relaxed.

While he hugged her Brad reached out to her mind. He found her frightened that she may have upset him.

'Hush little one it's fine, I am not upset with you. He is not one of us though; you should not have brought him here.'

Brad had been surprised to find two sets of tracks heading toward the clearing. It was his normal routine to run on Sundays. Checking the perimeter of their lands and making sure everything was as it should be.

Willow looked up at him, surprised by what he had said. Her thoughts were tumultuous as she sent back to him.

'Of course he is one of us, what do you mean?'

Something shifted in the air that caught both their attention. Turning they watched as Alexander laid a tentative hand on one of the monoliths.

His fingers traced the outline of a crescent moon chiseled into the hard cool stone. Alexander felt a subtle shift, as if his body were hit by a low level shock. It wasn't painful merely noticeable and it passed quickly. Brad reached out his senses to Alexander, hoping against hope that his father had been wrong. He found simply Alexander as he had been before so he still was. Human.

"Best we be getting back. Dad is sending you to the west face for a few days I hear?"

Brad's words broke Alexander's concentration. He looked over at the other man, giving Willow a small smile.

"Yes, I'm looking forward to it. It gets a bit boring sitting at the house wondering what to do with myself."

Alexander's tone was easy as they walked away from the glade. He felt an uncommon sense of peace that was just one of a number of new feelings he had had since coming to Red Lodge. At this point he was getting use to the almost daily mysteries this place held.

"You should come to the compound Alexander, there is always something going on, I'm sure everyone would be happy to meet you." Willows statement earned her a weary stare from Brad. She was un-deterred.

"It's only about a two miles from your house." Willow stopped talking abruptly as Brad's gaze turned hard and he slipped back into her mind.

'Stop now Willow, he really can't come to the compound. I sensed him, he isn't one of us, my father had tests run, and he is just human.'

Willow shook her head as they made their way back home, her final thoughts to Brad left him wondering.

'I don't care what you say, in his soul he is just like us.'

-vVv-

Jenabel spent the rest of the day at her house. She was none to pleased with her father throwing this stupid party. She distracted herself with work, looking over the quarterly reports, logging in the status of ongoing projects and new acquisitions.

While she accomplished a great deal, it did little to assuage her warring emotions.

Looking out the window she noticed the waning moon through the window. It was beautiful, just cresting the top of the mountains. The beauty failed to move Jenabel this evening. It was just another reminder of how different she was from Alexander.

The cool night air shocked Jenabel as she left her house. Her feelings of restlessness grew now that she was out under the inky blanket of night. She wandered aimlessly, making a point not to walk in the direction of the Alexander's place.

Jenabel started when she came across Willow sitting by the small stream that wound its way through the compound.

"Do your parents know you're still out Willow?"

Her tone was gentle; Jenabel knew the pull the quiet places of night held. She didn't fault the child for stealing a few moments of magic under the stars. Willow smiled up at Jenabel.

"They know. For awhile they worried, but now that I'm almost eleven they let me stay out a bit later."

Jenabel sat down next to Willow. She touched her mind and was surprised to see an image of Alexander there. Willow felt Jenabel's gentle prod, was surprised when she felt the older woman's pain at what she found.

"You know Alexander? He is really nice but he seems so lonely. Brad says he isn't like us, but I don't believe it."

Jenabel's breath caught as the girls words.

"What do you mean Willow?"

Her question was tentative, filled with emotion.

Willow shrugged. "I don't know. There is something about him that feels familiar, deep down here." She said holding her small hand over her chest.

"I wish that were true Willow." Jenabel's voice broke as she said it while giving the young girl a hug before walking quickly away.

She didn't know how much more she could take. She wanted to find balance but with every moment that passed it seemed less and less likely that she would be able to.

Tears sparkled in the moonlight as they ran down her cheeks. Everyone in the compound felt her pain, all of them worried for her. Two miles away Alexander bolted upright in bed, in a flash he was standing on the porch, eyes trained north. Something had woken him, something pulled at him, what it was he didn't know. Only that there was pain and he had an overwhelming desire to see its hold loosened from whomever was feeling it.

-vVv-

Sophie was up well before dawn. Slipping out of bed she smiled as Carl reached for her, uttering an unhappy groan at finding only the warm space she had left in the bed before falling back into a deep sleep. She moved through her morning necessities quickly. Sophie was anxious to be on her way and meet Mr. Dane.

Jenabel's pain was obvious to everyone. More than a few of the others in the compound had commented on it. Sophie could only give them vague responses as she herself had no answers.

Sighing she jumped in her jeep and headed to the yard. Sophie didn't know if she was happy or dreading the coming morning, but she knew it was time she met the young man who had caused such uproar in her family's life.

Alexander parked the Harley in the garage and transferred his duffel to the jeep. He took a few moments to look over the contents.

"Brad did a good job." He said to himself.

With a quick review Alexander knew that there were enough provisions for over two weeks. He wouldn't be eating filet and lobster, but there was more than enough for one person.

"Wonder if their trying to get rid of me." Alexander laughed as he closed the rear hatch.

"Oh I don't think you have to worry about anyone getting rid of you anytime soon."

Alexander turned quickly, his body tense. Once again someone had gotten to close.

'How do they all do it?' He questioned himself.

Standing close, within arms reach Alexander faced what he felt was probably one of the most beautiful women he had ever encountered. She had long brown hair, blazing hazel eyes, high classic cheek bones and a strong healthy body. It was obvious she was older but her true age eluded him. He stared just a bit too long.

Sophie smiled and laid a hand on his arm. "I appreciate the unspoken compliment Alexander but we really should be going. I'm Sophie Benton, Carl's wife and Jenabel and Brad's mother."

Sophie, whose hand was still on his arm, noticed how he unknowingly flinched when she said Jenabel's name.

She broke the contact and stepped back. "Carl had other matters to attend to this morning so I volunteered to give you a ride up to the west face. Shall we go?"

Alexander felt immediately at ease with Sophie Benton. Such was not usually the case with women. Alexander had always been somewhat at a loss where women were concerned. He attracted their attention, not by choice but seemingly just being who he was. The problems came once that attention became too focused. He had no frame of reference for what to do when they wanted to do more than just look at him.

This had only increased his loneliness over the years. More than once Alexander joked with those in his unit that instead of the military he should have joined a monastery. The three hour ride passed in a flash. Sophie had gently prodded him to open up and he had done just that. As they climbed up into the mountains leaving Red Lodge behind Sophie learned more and more about this enigmatic young man.

He told her of his time in the orphanage, learning to be solitary and self-contained. Also of his joining the military, being thrust into a life that was really not of his choosing, but one which he excelled in. And of his constant search for something, someplace that was his.

She was surprised to learn that while in the military he had gotten a masters degree in history with a minor in literature.

"Why were you drawn to those subjects Alexander?"

They were getting close to the site; Sophie was surprised to find that she did not want the ride to end. Alexander was very different from the young men who grew up in the area.

'Perhaps that's just what Jenabel needed...' Her thoughts broke off as Alexander answered.

"History always seemed to me a road map, a guide book on what works in life and what doesn't. With the way I grew up, having some type of guide was really appealing. As for the literature...well..."

Sophie placed her hand on his arm, she could feel the sorrow coming off him in waves and she needed to do something to comfort him. Alexander looked over at her when she touched him. The feel of her touch was soft, gentle, reassuring, more things that he had no frame of reference for. He smiled and continued.

"I found hope in the books. All those years of being alone it was always easy to escape to a good book. In them were friends, families, adventures, but what drew me the most were the stories of simple lives lived by simple people who needed each other."

Sophie nodded at his answer. She understood him much better now, knew that the connection Jenabel felt with him was real. They complimented each other, or would if everyone would just calm down and let them actually meet.

As they pulled up to the small cabin where Alexander would be staying she made her decision. The universe would not be this capricious, would not cause such pain. She would put her faith in Luna and let the chips fall where they may.

"Alexander, I'll be coming back up to get you on Friday."

Alexander was going to argue that Carl said it would take almost two weeks. Sophie shushed his coming complaint with a smile and a wave of her hand.

"None of that now. I'll bring you back up next Monday."

She fixed her eyes with his before continuing.

"We're having a sort of welcome home party for my daughter Jenabel on Saturday. I think it best that you be there. It will be a good opportunity for you too meet most of the people in town and in our family. I'm sure Jenabel would like to thank you in person for saving her life."

Sophie smiled as she saw the small glint in Alexander's eyes at the mention of Jenabel.

Alexander was torn; he had spent the last two days trying not to think of Jenabel. He had only seen her the one time, only seen the flash of her emerald eyes for an instant. But she was always in his thoughts. He had wanted to approach Brad or Carl a hundred times to ask about her, make sure she was recovering well from the broken arm suffered in the wreck.

Alexander's dreams were filled with her. The way her face had calmed when she saw him through the shattered window. How it felt to hold her against him as he scrambled up the ravine trying to get away from the crumpled suburban. The memory of knowing if he died protecting her when the blast came that it would be a good way to go.

There was something compelling about her, something that would not let go of his focus. He thought for only a moment about Sophie's offer before answering with a tone that held surprising resolve.

"I would like that very much Sophie; I am looking forward to meeting your daughter."

Sophie smiled as Alexander got out of the jeep. The party would be very interesting indeed.

They made quick work of transferring the gear to the cabin. In less than half an hour it was time for Sophie to head back. Alexander was looking over the surveys of the area, getting his bearings and making sure there were no other answers he needed before she left.

He turned to find Sophie watching him. Alexander was surprised by the feelings of empathy that came from her. He had always been intuitive, able to read peoples intentions as well as the emotions behind them. While this sense was honed on the more violent end of the spectrum, it worked for all emotions.

"Thank you for bringing me up here and the invitation to the party. I'll get as much done as possible this week, if you need to take money out of my next check for the extra trip just do it, I won't mind."

Sophie had watched him carefully while they unloaded the jeep. His economy of motion, the precision he completed whatever task he was working on. Half way through he had stripped off his shirt. She cataloged the scars, not sure where some of them had come from. 'Carl will know.' She thought.

"You're very welcome Alexander, there's no need for you to pay gas money, I think we can write the extra trip off without a worry." She was smiling, teasing him in a gentle manner.

She got a lopsided grin for her efforts.

"I'll be back about 3pm on Friday, the party is Saturday afternoon so you'll have some time to rest and get settled before hand."

The urge to hug the young man came as a surprise to Sophie but she didn't fight it. She felt him stiffen slightly but it passed quickly and he returned it in full force.

"Be safe Alexander, I'll see you Friday." She said as she started the jeep and pulled away from the small cabin. Alexander watched her go, still analyzing the easy feeling of comfort he had received from her unexpected hug.

He took a long walk that evening, getting the lay of the land, outlining a plan of attack for the survey. After his initial inspection of the parcel he was surprised they wanted it surveyed.

Its location was remote in the best of terms. The area was pristine. A wide, fast moving creek meandered down the south boundary. To the north, the mountain rose almost two thousand feet and the west bordered Custer National Forest. Unless spikers came in from the park it was highly unlikely that anyone would be this far out on the mountain.

It mattered little to Alexander. He was here to do the job. If Carl felt it needed to be surveyed then that's what he would do.

The days passed quickly. Alexander moved fluidly through the terrain at a speed which surprised him. His senses continued to heighten as well. He found himself avoiding animals as not to startle them, simply knowing where they would be based on the small clues the forest provided. Each day he woke earlier, stayed out later. His stamina was improving almost exponentially, the limp which had plagued him for more than a year was almost entirely forgotten.

It was Thursday, mid-day and Alexander was done with three quarters of the survey. Sitting by the creek with only the forest to focus on his thoughts wandered once again to Jenabel.

'I wonder what she is doing.'

Such thoughts had come unbidden consistently over the last days. When he wasn't focused on the survey his thoughts invariably returned to the mysterious young woman he had saved. The pull he felt to get to know her, be close to her, protect her had grown with each passing day. His nights were filled with dreams.

Dreams of the forest.

Of a soft voice invading the dark cloak of unconsciousness.

Images of the moon against a star filled cosmos.

The subtle touch of cool fingertips on his lips.

Scents that stirred his passion.

Alexander's unfocused eyes registered movement across the fast moving creek.

He stilled, not wanting to surprise whatever may be sharing the forest with him that morning. From the thick copse of trees he saw the brush tremble as something passed behind it. Alexander could sense the animal behind it. Could hear its heart beat. Feel the gentle tremor of soft footfalls on the dry forest floor.

He wasn't surprised when the wolf stepped from the trees into the open space on the other side of the creek. Over the past few days he had seen brief glimpses of brown fur moving through the trees, a blur of russet that flashed out behind a pine tree for an instant.

Alexander was a warrior; he had met and defeated threats to his life for five years. He knew the feel and intent of malice. The wolf or wolves were not aggressive. They never strayed near his small cabin. Never seemed to pay him much attention at all and when they did notice him it seemed more out of curiosity than anything else.

In truth he was pleased for their on again off again companionship. While being alone in the middle of no where held no fear for him, it was nice to acknowledge another living being now and again.

The wolf across the creek stood perfectly still. Amber colored eyes fixed on Alexander. He knew better than to meet those eyes straight on as it could be interpreted as a challenge.

He watched it out of the corner of his eye. Noting that it was probably young, it was not large for a wolf, maybe seventy-five pounds. Lean and lithe he got the impression this one was female. Light brown with golden blond streaks running through her coat she was a beautiful little wolf. He laughed as she laid down, her muzzle resting on her paws as she watched him.

Vjax
Vjax
947 Followers