Orphan Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Vjax
Vjax
947 Followers

They stayed like that for more than ten minutes. Alexander watching her, the young wolf's stare fixed on him. Finally he decided it was time for his break to be over. Standing slowly he stretched. With a deliberate motion he picked up his pack and slung it over his shoulder.

"It's been a pleasure meeting you; I have to get back to work."

His voice carried on the clear mountain air as he started off down the hill to the last section of the parcel that bordered the creek. The wolf stayed where it was, not moving when he rose, but never taking its eyes off him.

As an afterthought Alexander reached into his pack and grabbed a large piece of jerky. With a gentle toss he threw it over the creek toward the wolf.

"Here you go little one, something to tide you over till your next rabbit."

The wolf moved like lightning, crossing twenty feet in the blink of an eye to catch the piece of dried meat before it touched the ground. She ate it in one quick bite, tongue lolling out as she seemed to grin at him. The look gave Alexander a good laugh as he turned back to his work.

Throughout the rest of the day the blonde wolf paced him, never coming too close, but always within sight. She would run around him in wide circles, jump and yip at him when he wasn't looking at her.

'Just like a woman.' He thought smiling.

The sun was starting to drop toward the mountains as he made his way back to his cabin. The wolf looked at him then at the sun. Giving a long howl she flashed away into the woods heading east at a fast pace.

"Goodbye Blondie." Alexander yelled after her. The fading howl he received in response gave him pause for a moment. "What a strange day." Alexander found that he talked to himself quite a bit when he was out in the forest, he didn't know if he should be concerned or not.

Alexander had fashioned a make shift hammock and slung it between two trees. He found that as always, sleeping under the stars was what allowed him to rest easiest. Only a bare sliver of the moon hung low in the western sky after dusk. As he drifted to sleep a distant howl echoing through the mountains reached him. Alexander found comfort in its tone.

He was done with the survey by noon and packed by one. The morning had found him anxious; a sense of unknown impending clouded his emotions. He knew not what was coming but was sure that something was. Alexander heard the jeep almost fifteen minutes before it pulled in. After a week in the forest it was too easy to pick out the sound.

Sophie pulled up to the cabin just as Alexander walked out. He waved as she turned off the jeep and stepped out.

"Hello Alexander." Sophie smiled at the sight of him. Dressed in jeans, his blond hair was wet, falling across his shoulders. His broad chest and well defined muscles rippled as he hefted his large duffel

"Good afternoon Mrs. Benton. Did you have a good trip up?"

Sophie nodded as she walked to the pile of gear and helped load up.

"Is this everything Alexander?" Sophie questioned as they stowed the last of the gear.

Alexander smiled at her.

"It is. I finished the survey this morning. I think Mr. Benton will be pleased with the results. It seems it has been a long time since this area was cleared, he should get good numbers and leave almost double the amount standing as would be the norm."

Alexander had spent his time wisely. He picked up on what type and size of trees they were looking for, understood their desire to leave as many mid-age trees as possible to rejuvenate the plot once they moved on.

"While I did the survey I marked the ones for the cutters, I'm sure Mr. Benton will want to check the site himself but I think I got pretty close."

Sophie was surprised. The survey itself should have taken at a minimum ten days. Marking from the survey the trees to be culled another three.

"You did thirteen days of work in four and half?" She couldn't keep the doubt out of her voice.

Alexander smiled.

"I kind of got into a groove; if the sun was up I was in the forest." Alexander said this as he pulled the survey from his backpack.

"Come on, I'll show you."

An hour later, as they drove back toward Red Lodge Sophie was convinced that Alexander Dane was something more than human.

"You did a wonderful job Alexander, Carl will be very pleased, surprised, but pleased."

Alexander watched the forest through the window.

"I'm glad, I like Red Lodge. It feels more like a home everyday. Perhaps he'll be at the yard when we get back and I can go over it with him."

Sophie was quick to respond.

"No!...I mean, with the party tomorrow the yard closed down early. I'm sure that Monday will be soon enough to go over it. Best you head home and relax tonight."

Sophie hadn't told anyone that she invited Alexander to the party. It was a gamble but Jenabel's and Alexander's happiness was worth the risk.

"That's probably true."

"I did have a question. Do you see many wolves around Red Lodge?"

He didn't notice Sophie's fingers twist tightly around the steering wheel.

Alexander continued.

"I saw one up at the parcel. The first few days she stayed out of sight but yesterday she came close. Beautiful little thing, young I would say as she seemed to have very little fear of me. Blondie kept me company most of the afternoon. It was amazing having something so wild so close and without any malice."

Sophie tried to keep the strain out of her voice.

"Blondie?"

Alexander laughed.

"Yeah that's my nickname for her; she has a beautiful light brown coat with these amazing blonde highlights running through it."

Sophie was quiet for a few minutes, composing herself before she answered.

"Yes, there are packs here and there across the mountain. One ranges close to Red Lodge but we never have any issues with them. They were here first of course."

Sophie's joke was meant to lighten the mood, hers more than Alexander's as he seemed to be oblivious to her mounting tension. He glanced at her briefly before turning his attention back to the passing scenery and responding.

"I think I may have had one by my place last Friday evening. I could have sworn I saw a just a flash of movement and brilliant green eyes just as night fell. But it was quick, could have been just my imagination."

They made the rest of the trip back to Red Lodge in companionable silence.

The yard was dark when they arrived, only the small weekend crew was in the mine so the grounds were deserted.

"I'd like to get everything unloaded and put away before I head home if that's alright Mrs. Benton. Why don't you head out, I'm sure you have a lot to do before the party tomorrow."

Sophie watched him set to work unloading the gear from the jeep, placing it out on the floor to be looked over before going back on the shelves that lined the large storage garage.

"I'll leave you to it then Alexander, excellent work on the survey, I'm sure Carl will be pleased with how much you got done in such a short time."

Sophie turned to leave then paused.

"The party starts at 2pm, we're just up the road from you, look for the first right turn as you head west from your place. Dress casually, it's a big barbeque really, no need for anything more than jeans and such."

Alexander laughed.

"That's good, as jeans and such are about all I have."

She was struck once again by his easy nature, the gentleness at his core. He reminded her of Carl in that way.

"I'll see you tomorrow then Alexander, have a good evening and get some rest, you earned it."

In her thoughts Sophie replaced earned with need as she climbed into her own jeep. She didn't know what the next day would bring but she was sure that both Alexander and Jenabel would not be the same, for better or worse, come this time tomorrow.

*

Edited by Mikothebaby

Vjax
Vjax
947 Followers