Orphan Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Vjax
Vjax
947 Followers

"Shall we?"

Jenabel was surprised. She assumed Brad would be the last Alexander would spar with.

Jenabel's wolf stirred as Sara and Alexander circled each other. Brad had told her that Sara was probably the pack's most dangerous fighter. She never let herself get out of control, kept her wolf balanced almost perfectly. It was rare that anyone touched her let alone beat her.

Jenabel winced as Sara landed a punch to Alexander's shoulder, her wolf pushing a bit harder at the sight. She smiled as Alexander landed a touch to Sara's abdomen an instant later, understanding that he had left the opening on purpose.

Jenabel could hear the anger in Sara's voice after his touch which had no power behind it.

"Don't you dare pull your punches! If you can hit me then you better damn well do it because I sure as hell will hit you!"

Jenabel's body tensed as Sara kicked out, hitting Alexander squarely on the chin. Her wolf howling at the attack on her Mate. She paced as Sara swung around behind Alexander, striking him in the lower back. Jenabel started to move forward but Alexander twisted incredibly fast and landed a punishing strike to Sara's abdomen that sent her flying to the ground.

She calmed some as Alexander extended his hand and helped her up. Alexander started walking toward Brad and the others, turning his back on Sara.

Jenabel didn't know when she had started to run. She understood that Sara was going to attack Alexander. Her logical mind knew that Alexander would be fine. Her wolf however, was not one for the vagaries of logic when she perceived that her Mate was in danger.

In an instant she shifted, paws digging savagely into the earth as she flashed toward the threat to Alexander.

'No bitch is going to touch him.' That thought pushed every other to the side as she fixed her gaze on Sara and launched toward her. Jenabel's intention of killing the woman roiling off of her like the heat of blast furnace.

Alexander had only an instant to react.

He felt the air pushing against him as Jenabel pushed it before her.

Saw the terror flare in Sara's eyes as she realized what was about to happen.

Was almost overpowered by the feelings of rage coming from his Mate as his own wolf translated the emotions on the fly.

Alexander stepped forward, placing himself between Jenabel and Sara and braced for the impact.

Jenabel was nearly upon Sara when her vision was blocked by Alexander's body as he stepped between the wolf and the woman.

His sidestep was nearly too late, Jenabel's front claws making contact with his exposed chest before he was able to wrap her in his arms and bring her to the ground.

Jenabel was stunned by the impact. In a panic her wolf began to struggle against Alexander's arms which held her in an iron grip and his body which lay heavily upon her keeping her pinned to the ground.

Alexander's intent was to stop Jenabel from hurting Sara. He knew it was the woman's nature not to back down in a fight. Had she been successful in the attack it would have been his fault not hers. That hadn't been what was going to happen. After the tell from the others that she was coming for him in their looks and stances he was quite capable of fending her off. And then Jenabel had shown up. Her wolf seemed none too pleased with the idea of Sara attacking him from behind. So he had stopped her, knowing that if she hurt Sara she would regret it.

Now, with Jenabel snarling and writhing beneath him, fighting him, all those thoughts flew from his mind.

Alexander felt the power surge forward and suffuse his body with its need to subdue the wolf beneath him.

Brad ran to them, helping Sara up from where she had fallen.

"Alexander!" Brad yelled as he watched the two struggling on the ground.

He drew in a breath when the Alexander's eyes met his own and saw that they had turned an inky shade of black.

"Jenabel! JENABEL! Stop struggling, Alexander's wolf..." Brad's words died on his lips as the shift happened.

One minute Alexander was struggling to keep the strong wolf under him controlled. The next a massive blondish brown wolf was taking his sisters neck between its powerful jaws.

Jenabel howled as fangs found their way to her neck. She didn't understand; her Mate was just a moment before restraining her...

Jenabel stilled instantly. Understanding washing over her as the scent and power and fury of the large male above her took hold.

'He's shifted...oh God, what have I done!' Her thoughts were frantic, hoping against hope that somehow she could turn this around.

Alexander calmed as Jenabel calmed beneath him. His grip on her neck lightened and then he released her as he staggered away almost falling. This wasn't right, this wasn't who he was. But it was. This was part of him, had always been so. It was only now that he fully realized it, fully comprehended what, until this moment, had been merely a thought, a casual acceptance of a piece of unknown magic that inhabited the world. No this was so far beyond the thought of being a Were. It was the actuality of it given form and life and depthless nuance. He was human. He was wolf. He was Were.

His hindquarters landed heavily on the ground as his big body began to shake. Ears pinned down on his head a wild look in his eyes.

'Mom, Dad you better get over to the sparring grounds quickly...Alexander has shifted.' Brad's words struck Sophie like a hammer. She could feel his tension and concern in every syllable. She was out the door and sprinting across the compound before the words had faded in her head.

Carl was at the mine, he felt as if a weight dropped onto his chest when Brad's statement reached him. He ran for his Tahoe, it would be quicker than shifting and trying to find them. He only hoped he wouldn't be too late.

Alexander looked around at the people before him. He pulled on his human half, trying to process the world and people he knew while looking through the eyes of a wolf.

Everything had a stark clarity to it that was missing from his human sight. It was as if every instant was a photograph with perfect lighting, perfect composition and perfect color. He watched entranced as Brad and the others stood watching him. He could see the smallest shifts in their stances, noted the small changes in muscle tension which came just before a thoughtful motion.

He closed his eyes, overwhelmed by the fundamental difference viewing the world now held.

In his mind, he saw his wolf again. They were standing together now with no distance separating them. He felt the wolf's lungs filling with air as his hand lay on its back. It was an odd sensation of being joined with something so wild in nature but also amazingly calm, almost stoic at the same time.

'Alexander?'

He heard his name in his head, understood that it was not vocalized. He kept his eyes closed as this new experience washed over him. It was Jenabel; her voice was different but maintained the subtle nuance of the tone he knew her voice carried.

'Jenabel?'

She felt the question in her head, it was him, he was still there, still maintained some control.

'Alexander, I'm so sorry, I got caught up in...I shouldn't have.'

'Jenabel, you thought I was in danger, it was an automatic response. How can I, how can we...'

'It's part of the change Alexander, we can talk with each other this way when we shift. You have to try and shift back Alexander, do you think you can?'

The words in his head were filled with remorse and fear. Jenabel was afraid he would be stuck this way.

'Jenabel, it's so...amazing, I want to experience more. It's all so new, so wondrous, I don't want to let go.'

Jenabel understood. It was this way for most of the young ones when they shifted for the first time. They became entranced with the newness of experiencing their world through the wolf. Sometimes it was days before they finally shifted back. She couldn't let Alexander have that luxury.

'I know you don't Alexander but you need to for now. That you shifted so easily and maintained your internal balance is a good thing, something that needed to happen before the next full moon. But you still need training, need to have a better understanding of what it entails, what your limits are and what you need to be wary of. Please Alexander.'

Alexander opened his eyes. Jenabel was standing in front of him still in her wolf form. He just looked at her, awe struck by what he saw. Her black coat seemed to shimmer in the morning light. He watched the muscles tense beneath her fur, was mesmerized as drops of morning dew gently rolled off her sleek coat. But it was more than just seeing her physical form. She seemed to radiate an emerald aura that infused her wolf body with an unknowable mystery that intrigued and fired his senses.

Alexander stood on four shaky legs and crossed the small distance between them.

'You are beautiful Jenabel. The form doesn't matter at all. Seeing you like this through these eyes...I didn't understand, I didn't have any idea how deep the magic of our kind truly is.'

Jenabel rubbed her head against his. She could feel his love and need and want for her through their ever-growing bond. She was captivated by his sheer size. Never had she encountered a wolf as large and powerful as Alexander. Even her father and brother would be dwarfed by him. She had an overpowering need to run from him, to begin the chase that would lead to him being hers forever. She actually pulled back a few steps from him. Jenabel's green eyes flashed a need that she didn't want to control. He was hers and she needed him to claim her in the most overpowering and encompassing way.

Sophie came into the clearing at a dead run and pulled up short next to Brad taking in the scene as Alexander and Jenabel stood close together. She could see her daughter's body tensing, flexing, getting ready to run.

"Don't Jenabel!" Sophie yelled as she slowly approached the two wolves.

Jenabel turned her head to look at her mother through squinted eyes, a soft growl emanating from her chest.

"I know Jenabel, I know. But you can't my girl, soon but not yet, not today."

The growl faded into a whine as Jenabel began to regain some control over her wolf.

Sophie turned to Alexander.

"Jesus you're a big wolf." Her tone was light. She had meant the statement to be in her head but her mouth had other plans. It was a problem that had more than once embarrassed her and Carl.

Sophie knelt down in front of Alexander, her hand coming out slowly toward him.

Alexander sniffed her hand then moved so that it lay on his head. He delighted in the physical contact, so different than a simple touch in human form. He felt the heat of her palm, the emotion behind the touch, the scent of her. It was the most amazing touch he had ever felt.

"Alexander, you need to change back now. Close your eyes. Find your wolf and step back from him."

Alexander did as she asked. He looked down at the wolf at his side. He only felt contentment from his wolf, no fear, no concern about the break in contact. Slowly he raised his hand from the wolf's back and took a step away. He noted the wolf begin to walk away a few steps as well.

His body began to tingle, like millions of gentle static sparks coursing through his body.

When they passed he slowly opened his eyes.

Jenabel was still in her wolf form, her eyes intent on him as he stood.

Looking around he smiled sheepishly at everyone who was focused on him.

"Sorry about that, it just kind of...happened."

Brad and the other males took an almost imperceptible step back as he stood. The women seemed rooted to their spots.

Alexander stood in the morning sunlight everyone noting how his body had changed.

The muscles were just a bit more defined. He looked more sculpted than before.

For Alexander's part he felt amazing, better than he ever had. Motion to his left caught his attention as Jenabel shifted back to her human form. He caught the moment of magic and it made him smile.

She stood looking at him, her eyes locked on him in an amazed stare. He began to feel somewhat embarrassed when he noted all of them were staring at him.

"What?"

As he asked the question he looked down at himself and realized he was naked. 'Of course you're naked you fool, you just turned into a wolf.' He moved to cover himself but Jenabel was at his side, taking his hand.

"Nudity is common among us Alexander. You have nothing to be embarrassed about but..." Her hand traced over his chest which was smooth and taut under her fingertips.

"Your scars Alexander, they're gone."

Alexander looked down at where her fingers traced the lines of his muscles. She was right, a lifetime of physical reminders of the dangers he had faced and overcome were gone. No scar, no blemish remained of them.

His own hand went to his knee as he lifted his foot from the ground. There was no pain, no ache, not a sign of the injury that had nearly left him crippled.

Instinctively he pulled Jenabel into his arms, wanting to share his happiness at this turn of events. It was not just that he was healed. It was deeper than that and had everything to do with the woman in his arms. There would be nothing to impede him from protecting her. Nothing that would slow him in her defense. For this he thanked the wolf which prowled inside him, honoring the gift he had given both to his human half and his mate.

Jenabel was nearly overwhelmed when Alexander pulled her into his arms. His sun-warmed body radiated a heat which seared her and threatened to overwhelm her. Luckily her mother knew as soon as Alexander had grabbed her, what the consequences may be. Laying a gentle hand on Alexander's shoulder she separated the two.

Jenabel took four wobbling steps away from him as her mother got his attention.

"Very good Alexander, and thank you for listening to me. It's a wonderful step that you have shifted for the first time but there is still much work to do." Sophie's words were strong, meant to cut through the haze that she saw in Alexander's eyes. Her tone had the desired effect as he seemed to shake off the glazed look in his eyes.

"Brad, do you have spares here?"

Sophie's question broke the tension that had permeated the glade.

Brad turned and nearly sprinted to a pile of clothes. He grabbed Alexander's shirt and a spare for Jenabel as well as two spare set of sweat pants then walked back to his mother and Alexander.

Alexander gave Brad a thankful smile as he took the clothes and got dressed. Jenabel repeated the process with the clothes Brad handed her.

"Well that was about as interesting of a morning training as I can remember." Brad joked as he turned to the others motioning for them to head out.

Brad saw that Alexander was about to speak and stopped him with a raised hand.

"No apologies Alexander. You took us apart fair and square. I'll be having a word or three with Sara but no harm no foul. I'm glad you were able to shift back so easily, this gives us something to work on tomorrow."

Not for the first time Alexander thought the man's easy ways coupled with his obvious strength and care for those around him would make him a good Alpha once his father decided to step down.

Brad followed the others out of the clearing leaving Sophie, Alexander and a distracted Jenabel alone.

Sophie noted her daughter's tense stance and decided it was time for a little mother daughter time.

"Alexander why don't you head back to the house and get cleaned up. Willow's mother, Beth is a teacher here on the compound. She will be helping you learn our history this afternoon. I'll be back to the house and fix you some lunch beforehand."

Alexander had picked up on Jenabel's anxiousness but didn't know the cause. He wanted to go to her, wrap her in his arms and take away whatever was bothering her. However, Sophie's tone indicated that perhaps it was best to follow her direction.

He did step over to Jenabel and placed a gentle kiss on her forehead before heading off for Jenabel's home.

While she watched Alexander tenderly kiss Jenabel she contacted Car.

'Everything is fine. Alexander shifted back, he's an amazing young man. Jenabel needs me, I'll find you when we're done.' Jenabel sent a powerful wave of love to her Carl across their bond before letting the connection fade to the background.

Once Alexander was gone Jenabel broke down into tears as her mother hugged her close.

"I shifted and attacked Sara, I caused Alexander to shift. He could have been trapped in his wolf form, I came within a hairs breath of mating with him. What's happening to me Mother?"

"The emotions you're feeling are a fundamental part of what makes us Were. Down through the ages all mated pairs have shared the frenetic feelings that you have. It would be easier to hold back the tide than try and stop the natural progression of the mating. I know it's hard but you also can't question yourself when such things happen. It is the nature of the pull to be nearly overwhelming, it ensures the continuance of our kind."

"This is harder for you as there is so much Alexander doesn't understand and still needs to learn. You have to be patient with him but also my love you have to be patient with yourself as well. It will all work out Jenabel, I promise. He shifted today. He is a strong wolf just as he is a strong man, I couldn't have hoped for a better Mate for you. I also believe it is time that all of us stop underestimating him. He is Were, untrained and untried, but at each step of this process his wolf has helped him. His human side has been more than strong enough to help maintain the balance."

Jenabel wiped her tears and stood straighter, running her fingers through her long black hair.

"He was...pretty magnificent wasn't he?" Jenabel's husky tone caused Sophie to laugh and shake her head as she steered her daughter away from the clearing.

"Come on, let's get you cleaned up. From the looks of him Alexander could eat us out of house and home, I'll need you to help me with lunch."

Jenabel hugged her mother as they made their way back to the Alpha's home, the tension of the last hour finally melting away.

-vVv-

Alexander walked into the Alpha's home to be greeted by quiet cacophony coming from the large meeting area to the rear. As he was going to investigate Sophie appeared at his side.

"That's your class waiting for you." She said with a smile. "Come and eat first, Jenabel is taking a shower and will be done shortly.

Alexander followed Sophie into the large kitchen and found a seat at the table. A platter with roast beef sandwiches, along with various raw vegetables was laid out buffet style. Grabbing a plate he took two sandwiches and some of the rabbit food before turning his attention back to Sophie.

"Is Jenabel alright? She seemed really upset at the clearing." Alexander's words were soft but Sophie picked up his hesitancy.

She sat beside him, placing her hand over his.

"Jenabel is fine Alexander. She was feeling badly about how she reacted today. Her whole life Jenabel has been the most focused and self-contained of all my kids. Brad is the outgoing and gregarious one, always there when someone needs a hand, happy to help whenever needed. Cross is well...Cross. He's been on a mission since his first moon change. He saw something, had a vision regarding his future mate and it has consumed him almost to the exclusion of everything else. Jenabel is the balance between the two. She is wickedly intelligent but balances that with a gentle and kind spirit. However, she has never really had anyone she was truly close with. Even growing up, while she had friends and many acquaintances she never had a close girlfriend or confidant."

"Her need for you, the loss of control that need elicits within her has Jenabel a bit off balance these days. But it's nothing you've done, nothing you can control. It's something she will have to find some control over for the next ten days. Beyond that it will hopefully not be an issue any more." Sophie said this last with a smirk that made Alexander blush.

Vjax
Vjax
947 Followers