Out of Darkness Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
lilgirlsix
lilgirlsix
1,733 Followers

"Kelly is safe. She's with her grandfather. Your parents are with the Council." Rebecca looked at Dani for a moment. Their panthers were guiding them through this and they sure hoped the cats were right. She swallowed hard and had no idea what to do next. I will help you. Her panther was going to have to do more than help.

Rebecca's hand shook as she brought it back to Drago's forehead. But this time he watched her intently.

"What are you doing?" He cocked his head.

"I have no idea; bear with me. Dani, I think I need you."

Danielle didn't want to feel that shock ever again. The sensation of all those strong emotions at once, anger, fear, regret, sorrow, grief, rage; it was just too much! No wonder his wolf had blocked it all out. But their panthers had felt it all. She hesitated for just a moment. Her panther gave her a mental shove. Go ahead. You have to help him remember.

Danielle bit her lip and tried to force a smile as she joined hands with her best friend and closed her eyes. She felt connected to Rebecca in a way she'd never felt through their bond before. It was like they were one person.

It's okay Dani. I'm here with you.

Danielle took a deep breath and relaxed with the thought she wasn't alone. Rebecca was on this journey too.

The panthers spoke in one voice. We need to help our sister's mate. He needs peace. He needs to remember. A cub should never forget his parents. His wolf thinks he's protecting Drago, but he's hurting him. He must remember.

Danielle and Rebecca were both startled to hear each other's panthers. They had never spoken together like this before to both women. Prior to this, they were silent when the women communicated through their bond.

Drago watched the women standing above him. He looked from one to the other; their faces were making the same movements, a look of surprise, followed by a shy smile. Drago watched them closely but felt so tired. His eyelids felt like lead. He fought it, but finally, had to give in to the sudden wave of exhaustion that overcame him.

Drago's wolf did not like this invasion of their privacy. Leave him alone! He's better off not knowing any of it. Leave him alone. The wolf growled defiantly at the two panthers that had come here without an invitation. His hackles were up, his tail flagged.

The panthers spoke together, in perfect unison, perfectly matched. We are here to help him. We know you think this is best for him, and as a cub, you were right. But he is an adult. He deserves to remember his past and his parents. They love him. They have grieved all this time. They deserve to know their son. Trust us. We are your mate's sister-panthers. We want only what is best for both of you. Please, trust us.

The wolf thought for a moment. His human half used to wonder why his parents had left him. He didn't understand. The wolf had thought it best to take away any memories. Had he done the wrong thing? I will let him see the memories.

The panthers swished their tails and spoke in unison. Thank you. Your human half will be the better for it. We will help him to remember. The panthers retreated from his mind.

Drago's eyes fluttered open. The two women still stood close by but no longer were touching him. Drago blinked a few times and brought his eyes into better focus.

Rebecca smiled at the handsome young man. The only differences between him and Zsigmond were the crew cut, and that he looked a little younger. She knew that Drago was thirty-six years old. His father was well over three hundred. She spoke in a soft voice. "Drago, what do you remember about your parents, your biological parents?"

Drago's eyes suddenly went cold and hard. "Nothing." The muscles twitched in his jaw.

"There has to be something. Just try. Your wolf had hidden everything from you, to protect you. You don't need protection anymore. You need to know. Think for a moment. Tell me what you remember." Rebecca laid a gentle hand on his shoulder and could feel his muscles tensing.

"They left me."

"No, Drago, they didn't. You were taken from them. Do you remember anything about what happened?"

Drago frowned and narrowed his eyes as he looked at the woman. "Why do you care? What difference does it make?"

Are you going to tell him? Danielle arched an eyebrow as she looked across the bed.

I have to. He has the right to know. Rebecca looked back at Drago and took a deep breath. "Your parents are here, Drago. They live here. They thought you were dead."

Drago was silent.

Drago's wolf crawled forward into Drago's mind. It's true. I hid the truth from you. You were too young to understand what was happening. The wolf let loose Drago's memories of his childhood.

Drago's mind was bombarded with faces and sights he didn't remember ever seeing. There was a beautiful raven-haired woman who hugged him tightly when he fell and broke his arm. There was a large male that carried him high in the air. He saw a woman that looked like Kelly, but with red hair who always gave him treats behind his mother's back. His mother... how could he have forgotten his mother?

Rebecca and Danielle watched the tears form in his eyes. Drago made no move to hide them. He just lay there, deep in his own thoughts.

His face hardened and became a stony mask. They watched the rage come to the forefront and, for a moment, they were frightened. Did he mean to harm them because they'd forced him to remember? They backed away from the bed.

"Erobos! It was him! I'll kill him myself."

Drago's voice was terrifying to the two women. Was it the wolf speaking through him? They had never heard such hatred in so few words. But they could understand it.

Rebecca softly asked, "What do you remember, Drago? Tell us."

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Ohio, 1982

Big fluffy clouds floated through the bright blue sky. Arthur thought it was always prettiest after a storm and the sky was clearing. He saw the jackrabbit and bounded after it through the tall weeds. This was fun! He'd been cooped up all week at the farm during the rain. Now that it was nice out, Mama had said he could play. The little black wolf ran as fast as he could, jumping the tree stump in front of him. The jackrabbit saw him and ducked back into its burrow.

Arthur, what are you doing?

Mama, I'm chasing a jackrabbit. I almost had him!

Margareta chuckled to herself. That cub was so much like his father. Always chasing what he couldn't catch. It's getting late, and you've run too far. I can't see you anymore. Come home now. Auntie Sally made you an apple pie. If you aren't home soon your father will eat it all. If that didn't get him home soon, nothing would.

Oh boy! I'm on my way, Mama. The little wolf spun around and ran into something solid that had been waiting behind him. He looked up and saw a man taller than his daddy. He'd never met anyone taller than Daddy before.

Margareta finished feeding the chickens and started for the house. She had a roast in the oven. She didn't want to leave it in too long; they all liked their meat rare. She waved to her sister-in-law on the front porch. Margareta smiled to herself and shook her head. Sally spoiled Arthur so much. But Margareta couldn't get upset with her. Sally's daughter and grandchildren had died years ago. And Sally's great-grandchildren were scattered throughout the country. Arthur took their places in her heart.

The tall man grabbed the black ball of fur by the scruff and picked him up as he wiggled in his grasp. "Hello, little cub. Now, who do you belong to, hmmm?"

The man had a weird way of talking. Arthur could barely understand him. He had a strange scent too. He was a were but different. Arthur kicked his back legs and tried to wriggle free but the man tightened his grip. Arthur snarled and turned in his loose skin, trying to bite the man's wrist.

Erobos laughed while the little cub's teeth snapped shut, scraping the skin on his arm. "And here I came hunting panthers and caught one little wolf cub." He dropped the cub to the ground.

Margareta stopped in her tracks. Her face blanched. Arthur! She felt her son's fear and anger. Arthur, where are you?

Sally saw the horrified look on Margareta's face. She ran over to her, taking her by the shoulders. "Margie, what's wrong?"

The cub fell to the ground, his head striking a rock. He lay still in the wet grass.

"What do you want to do with him, Boss?" The man pushed the little body with the toe of his fancy Italian boot. He was definitely unconscious. He saw the pile of clothes that must belong to the cub and picked them up.

"Bring him with us. And which idiota told us there were panthers here? He doesn't know the difference in scent between a panther and a wolf? Teach him the difference before you kill him, Magnus." Erobos may have not found the panthers, but this little cub was going to solve another problem for him. Silvano's mate wanted a cub to raise? He would bring her a cub. As soon as they were far enough away, the parents wouldn't be able to find him. Their bond would be useless.

The man with the Italian boots picked up the lifeless wolf cub and carried him to the waiting car. "Here, you take him." He handed the cub to the female waiting in the back seat of the car.

"Aw, he's so adorable. Where did you find him?" Seraphina stroked his soft fur. She'd given up on the idea of having cubs of her own. The boss was never going to let her find a mate. It was obvious hers was not a member of their pack. And he was very careful about allowing her to meet unmated males. She cradled the unconscious cub and checked him over for injuries. She felt the lump on his skull. "What happened to him? Is he alright? Should we find a pack with a doctor?"

Erobos sneered at her concern. "He's fine, Seraphina. He's not your cub. Don't get comfortable with him. We're delivering him to his new home." Erobos slid into the car next to the female. "Let's get going. I don't want him to wake up until we are well away from here!"

Magnus got behind the wheel and skidded through the mud on their way to the road. Within minutes they were almost at the main highway. He thought he saw a wolf running near the tree line. He guessed he must be the cub's father. Well he wasn't going to find him now.

Zsigmond had never felt such fear in his life. As soon as he sensed that something was wrong with Arthur he had dropped his pitchfork and shifted, running out of the barn, scaring the horses that started bucking in their stalls. And then there was nothing, like Arthur was just gone. It wasn't like when he had left his home in Hungary and his father just seemed farther and farther away as they traveled until he finally could not sense him at all. This was different, abrupt. His blood ran cold as he stretched his stride to cover more ground. He felt Margareta's anguish as he ran.

"Magnus, stop at the lake. Fold his clothes neatly and put them at the edge." Erobos glared at the cub, still in the arms of his female. He didn't like the motherly looks Seraphina was giving the cub. "Don't get attached, Seraphina."

"I know, Boss, I know." She rocked him, hoping the head injury wouldn't have any long lasting effects.

"Magnus, we will split up. Seraphina and I will deliver the cub to his new home. You take care of the stupido that fucked this up! After that, find the polizia and tell them you saw a little boy fall into the lake. Give the time that we found him in the field. And get wet so it looks like you went after him. Tell them you searched for some time in the water but couldn't find him."

Magnus nodded. "Cosa sicura, Capo."

And remember to speak English! You forget that sometimes.

Magnus winced when he felt the reprimand through his bond and mentally kicked himself. "Yes Sir, Boss."

"And Magnus, be convincing! They have to stop looking for the cub as soon as possible. I don't want any chance of his picture being on a wall at a postal office."

Magnus nodded as he drove and began formulating his story. It had better be a good one or he could find himself in the local jail.

~~~~~~~

The next day

The county sheriff hated making these kinds of calls. He really liked the Saber family. They'd been here for generations and had a nice little dairy farm. And they had doted on their little boy. He saw the cars blocking the driveway into the farm that he recognized from just about every family nearby. He saw Vic sitting on the porch with a couple of the men that had helped them search the area last night.

Zsigmond stood up and walked slowly down the stairs. He hoped to see a smile on the Sheriff's face, but all he saw was the red and white shirt in the Sheriff's hands. He turned to look at the front door of the house as Margareta ran out, Orsolya and the neighbor women behind her. Her hopeful look was gone when she watched Zsigmond take the pile of clothing from the outstretched arms of the Sheriff.

"I'm really sorry, Vic. I wish I didn't have to tell you this. We found his clothes folded up next to the lake shore. He must have decided to go swimming. But after the rains, the water was a lot higher than usual, and colder. Search and Rescue has been out there all day, Vic." The Sheriff took off his hat, wiped his brow, and looked over at the woman who had fallen to the ground, her friends trying to console her. "I'm awful sorry, ma'am. I wish I could give you some hope. But I can't. A little boy just couldn't survive."

Zsigmond was in a daze. He almost didn't respond to his American name, Vic. He forced himself to look away from the clothing he clutched in his hands. His voice didn't sound like his own. "Thank you, Sheriff. I know you did what you could." It was like there was someone talking in another room. It just didn't seem real. He felt Margareta's pain through their bond, but he shielded her from his. He wouldn't burden her with more.

Zsigmond, could we have missed his scent near the lake when we searched there? Orsolya, or Sally, as the locals knew her, just couldn't believe they would have missed his scent. She and her brother had crisscrossed the entire area, including the Lake and the River. They never caught his scent anywhere but in the field less than a mile from the house. And that was where he'd said he was just moments before his bonds with his parents were silenced. Arthur had never lied before. Why would he now?

I don't know, Orsolya, I don't know. He would never go to the lake without me. I had told him how dangerous it was and that I would take him swimming on the weekend. He would never disobey me, at least I thought not. Zsigmond managed to find the energy to walk to his mate, who sobbed as she knelt on the hard ground.

"Margie." He whispered in her ear. "Margie, we need to go inside." He gently took her elbows and lifted her to her feet. His arm supported almost all of her weight and she leaned into his comforting embrace.

"Vic, he was just a baby. It was too soon, too soon." She could barely form the words. Too soon.

Zsigmond couldn't believe it. Orsolya was right. They would never have missed his scent. He helped his distraught mate into the house and left her to the women's care. The Sheriff was talking with his neighbors when he came back out. "Sheriff, who was this guy that saw Arthur fall into the lake? Are you sure he's telling the truth? Maybe he did something with him? Can I talk to him?"

The Sheriff had seen parents in denial before. They always wanted to believe their child was still alive even when there was no hope. "Vic, he seemed pretty shook up. And he was soaking wet. He was a tourist and was picnicking at the lake with his family. When they saw him fall in, he jumped in after him, said he searched for almost an hour. Then when he got back to his car to find a phone, his car wouldn't start. He had to walk to the payphone at the gas station out on the highway. He was near frozen by the time we got there. After he told us everything he left to get his family on home. I'm sorry, Vic, he's gone."

The more Zsigmond thought about it, the more unsure he was. Arthur's clothes were found neatly folded. Arthur never folded his clothes. He always left them in a heap. He knew not to go to the lake alone. He knew he wasn't allowed past the fields on their property. The lake was three miles from their fence line. Something wasn't right. No, Zsigmond didn't believe his son was dead. He wouldn't believe it until he saw his body. He was out there somewhere, he was sure of it. He wouldn't give up.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Nevada -- Present Day

Carr, he wants to meet his biological parents. He remembers them.

Carr looked up and smiled at Zsigmond and Margareta. "Drago's ready to meet with you. Do you want to see him?"

Zsigmond jumped up from his chair, his arm out to help his mate. They followed Carr out of the room.

Silvano looked at Carla as they sat quietly. What was there for them to do? They'd lost their son. They deserved it. They held hands, their faces showing every bit of what they were feeling.

Sandalio saw their despair. "I'm sure he has room enough in his heart for you as well. You raised him into the strong wolf he is now. And I think that once Zsigmond and Margareta get over their initial shock, they will have a place in their hearts for you as well."

Silvano smiled gratefully at the Spaniard.

~~~~~~~

Rebecca answered the door when Carr knocked and held it open for Zsigmond and Margareta. She and Dani hugged the appreciative parents as they walked out. The looks on their faces were something that neither of the panthers would ever forget. They held hands as they left the hospital. Trey and Troy were just getting off their shifts at the police department, and they'd be home waiting for them. They both needed a hug from their mates.

Carr stayed outside the door. This was their time together. He watched Rebecca and Dani walk down the hallway. Thank you, ladies.

You're welcome, Alpha.

Margareta stood next to Drago's bed and just stared down at him, her face glowing. Her son was so handsome. He looked just like his father. She looked from one to the other. Yes, other than his haircut, he looked exactly as Zsigmond had when they met. She reached out a hand to him, and grinned from ear to ear when he took it in his.

His voice was a whisper. "I remember. I remember the smells from the kitchen and picking strawberries for you to make into jam. I remember the farm. I remember playing in the hay loft, and hunting for jack rabbits. I remember Auntie Sally's apple pies." He looked at the man standing at the foot of the bed. It was almost like looking in a mirror. "I remember my first shift. You talked to me the whole time. You taught me how to fish, as a human, and as a wolf."

Zsigmond smiled and nodded. He swallowed, not sure he could speak if he had to. There was a knot in his throat. His heart felt like it would burst. And then he felt it-- the bond had returned. He could feel his son again, for the first time in thirty years!

"I remember you!" Drago couldn't help it, he started to cry. He felt like he was a cub all over again. All these years he'd thought he had no past, that his parents had abandoned him. But all along they'd been waiting for him to come back. They'd never believed he was dead.

But through the new bonds that had reformed, Drago also felt the animosity towards Silvano and Carla. They are my parents too. I love them. They cared for me. Please don't hate them. Without them, what would have happened to me?

Zsigmond knew he was right. But it would take some time.

lilgirlsix
lilgirlsix
1,733 Followers