Over Here

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Any news?"

"No." Replied Katie. "I haven't heard from Mrs Richardson for quite a while. The letters take so long to get here, anyway."

"Don't you think you should try to accept he is dead, dear?" She asked kindly. "This cannot be doing you any good, you need to get on and make a new life for yourself."

Katie looked the older woman straight in the eyes.

"But I don't believe he is dead." She stated flatly. "We loved each other so much, we were so close, and I justknow he cannot be dead. I would feel it here." She pressed her hand against her heart. "I don't feel the emptiness that I felt when Stephen died, I am sure he is alive, and when he can, he will come back for me."

Mrs Dixon-Smith could see that she really did believe what she was saying. Katie and Kevin shared a love so strong, that nothing could divide them.

She was envious of their love; she had never felt like that with her husband, they were comfortable with each other, they loved each other in their own way, but it had never been the great love she had dreamt of as a child.

Still, she was thankful. They had a nice home; they had brought up two healthy, happy children, and they would grow old together.

She was brought out of her thoughts by the sound of Katie, getting her coat, and the babies things together.

"Going home dear?"

"Yes, you don't need me any more today do you?"

"No, dear, that is all for today. You stay home and have a rest tomorrow, then come back refreshed on Monday, and we can make a start on the laundry."

"See you Monday then." Katie smiled as she manoeuvred the pram out of the door, and through the farmyard. Then, as she emerged from the yard, she turned onto the footpath that led across the fields toward her house.

The evening air was crisp and fresh; Anne sat up in the pram, looking around her. The birds were singing, and spring flowers were beginning to push their way up out of the ground. Katie loved this time of year. New growth, new life...renewed hope.

As her house came into view, she could see a figure standing in the garden looking in through the windows. She stopped walking, suddenly nervous, and looked around her. No one else was in sight. She felt very vulnerable and alone, and wasn't sure whether to turn back, or continue beyond her house into the village.

The dark haired stranger in her garden turned around, and looked across the field in her direction, he raised his hand to shield his eyes from the evening sunshine, as he looked toward where she stood.

Katie's heart began to pound in her chest; the man was starting to make his way down the garden path and through the gate towards her.

He was painfully thin, and walking with difficulty, leaning heavily on a walking stick.

She strained her eyes, trying to get a good look at him; she wasn't frightened anymore. He was obviously in no fit state to do her any harm. Slowly, she started to walk towards her house.

The pounding of her heart, changed from fear to excitement, as she began to recognise things about this man. The dark hair, a little longer than before, was now curling over onto his collar. The long legged stride as he came towards her.

Her steps quickened as she realised this was not a trick of the evening sunshine, it was Kevin!! She was almost running now, laughing as she went towards him.

As Katie reached the bottom of the hill, Kevin pulled her into his arms and swung her round.

"Kevin!" Tears began running down her face, as she clung to him, never wanting to let go.

"Katie!" He buried his face in her hair, and inhaled the scent of her.

"They said you were dead, but I didn't believe them!"

"I was taken prisoner, I got sick, and when the war ended I was taken to a hospital." His words were tumbling out of his mouth in a rush to explain. "I was too sick to even remember my name, when I got better they wanted to send me home, to Kentucky, but I insisted I come here first." He was out of breath, both from swinging her round and his rush of words. Katie led him into the house and they sat down together.

Kevin explained how his plane had come down, and he and his crew had been taken prisoner. Luckily for them, the war was nearly over. Conditions in the camp were dreadful, lack of food and proper sanitation, caused disease, and they had all succumbed to dysentery. By the time the war had ended and they were liberated, he had been too weak to go home. He had been taken to a hospital and it had taken many months to recover. He had come so close to death, and he was still not back to full health.

Katie picked up their daughter and handed her to him. Kevin held Anne out in front of himself; eyes wide, he took a good look at her.

"Wow, she has grown so big!"

"Yes, she is going to be tall like her Daddy" Katie smiled.

"Katie, I want to take you and Anne home with me to Kentucky."

"Oh yes! We would love to come with you." Katie was so happy; she knew now that it was what she wanted. "I need to sell the house, or maybe rent it out, but other than that, just give me time to pack."

"Whoa.... there is no rush, I have left the Air Force, I am unfit for duty. We have plenty of time; to get the house sold, pack up everything you need, and to get married, before we leave."

"Married? Kevin we can get married now!" Her eyes were bright with excitement.

"Now I am out of the Air Force, there is no need to get anyone's permission. We can do whatever we want." Kevin kissed her tenderly

"Anyway, young lady," He said to Anne. "I think it's about time I made an honest woman of your mother." He turned to Katie, momentarily concerned. "You will marry me, won't you?"

Katie smiled up into those incredible green eyes.

"Yes, of course I will sweetheart."

THE END