Peace

Story Info
It was hard to find.
1.6k words
4.29
128.6k
82
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
BigGuy33
BigGuy33
3,104 Followers

I know it's been a while, but I was overtaken by events and the desire to write is just coming back. I have several story stumps in progress so the next one should come without so long of a wait.

This story was inspired by a recent visit to the cemetery where my son-in-law, who passed away last year suddenly at the age of 24, is interred. As I sat on one of the many benches throughout the grounds, my writer-brain (what there is of it) took in the serenity of the quiet and peace. The brief story below is what followed.

Thank you to those readers that have read and commented on my stories. I appreciate you all, both as readers and as fellow travelers on this third rock from the sun. Go now and tell someone you love, anyone, that you love them...before it's too late.

This is an aftermath story, the cheating long since passed. Maybe even the aftermath after the aftermath. No BTB, no RAAC, just a slice of life. I'll warn you now that not much happens. It was more therapeutic than anything else.

Disclaimer: As you read this story, keep in mind that I try to include something for everyone, and some people are always looking for mistakes. So, if you find any errors, please remember that they are there for a reason.

*****

PEACE

It was hard to find.

*****

The tires crunched on the gravel road as she drove slowly toward the cemetery grounds. It was set well back from the main road, about a half-mile along the twisting, gravelly path.

Darlene Howard had never been here before. She was aware it had existed but had never had cause to make use of its services, or even attend a burial here. Even now she was on a personal mission rather than this being a matter of business.

She followed the signs to the main office. She could hear a mower droning on in the distance and a few scattered people visiting the burial sites of their loved ones. Darlene had never known anyone that died and was not looking forward to the first time.

An electronic chime sounded as she entered the office. A pretty brunette woman about her age, maybe a little younger, was manning the desk. Her name badge read 'Connie'. She was slim, with straight hair down to the middle of her back, but not much in the way of breasts or butt. She was a sharp contrast to her own blonde hair and voluptuous figure.

"Can I help you?"

"I hope so. I'm looking for a man named Daniel Preston," Darlene responded.

"Is there something I can help you with? I'm the site manager."

"No, thank you. It's a personal matter."

"I understand. He's out on the grounds. Just follow the sound of the lawnmower."

Darlene thanked Connie for her help and walked back to her car. The sound of the mower was coming from some distance away and she figured she'd need her car. She shook her head in wonder at the thought of her ex-husband working as a groundskeeper at a cemetery. She hadn't known where he'd ended up, only that he wasn't teaching anymore, and had come by the information on a fluke.

She drove the roads as best she could, her window open as she tried to follow the buzz of the engine. Eventually she caught sight of him riding back and forth over a particular section of lawn and she steered her car in that direction. She pulled to a stop as close as the road would allow and exited her car. She knew the instant he noticed her walking toward him, as the mower veered sharply in her direction. The riding mower rumbled to a stop about 20 feet from where she was standing.

Darlene watched as her ex-husband stepped off the deck and removed his hat and his ear protection. He gave a little shake of his head as he closed the distance between them.

"Darlene."

"Hi Daniel."

"How'd you find me?

"Gloria's mom passed a few weeks ago and she was buried here. She saw you helping out."

"I'm sorry to hear that. I don't usually help with the services but they were short-handed that day. I try to keep to myself so I didn't see her and didn't realize it was her mom. I hope Gloria is holding up okay. Why are you here, Darlene?"

"I don't know, really. I guess I just...I just wanted to make sure you were okay. I mean, you disappeared as soon as the divorce was final. You quit your job at the high school, a job you loved, and that worried me enough. Now I find you doing...this, and...I don't know, Daniel. I'm just worried and I wanted to reassure myself you were okay."

"I'm okay. Just trying to find some peace. It's been in pretty short supply the last few years."

"Daniel, please let me say again how sorry I am for what I did, especially on that day of all days. I know your lack of peace is my fault."

"You're only part of it, Dar," he said. "And I've told you before I don't blame you for the timing of it. The doing, yes, but the timing, no. There was no way for you to know."

"In my head I know that's true, Daniel, but if I hadn't been...doing what I was doing then it wouldn't even be an issue. I should have been your support, not the one that made things even worse."

"I won't argue with you on that point. I was rushing home early because I needed you. Imagine getting a call from the police telling you that your parents were killed in a car accident only to find your wife in bed with your best friend."

"I can't imagine it, Daniel. I can't imagine how painful that must have been for you."

"His betrayal was as bad as yours. We'd been friends since childhood. Hell, I've known him for so long that I can't remember NOT knowing him."

Daniel's mind drifted briefly to the events that followed that horrific day. His psychologist later explained that the events were so traumatic that he was going through a form of post-traumatic stress disorder. The loss of all the important people in his life had shattered his psyche. It was actually Darlene herself that had handled most of the arrangements for the funeral as well as all the legal maneuvering afterwards. She had hoped it might lead to some bridge between them that might save the marriage but Daniel, through his attorney, filed for divorce as soon as he was mentally able. Daniel himself left the country and had his attorney handle everything.

The terms of the divorce were simple. With the exception of a few irreplaceable personal items, Daniel gave everything they shared to Darlene. The tragic loss of his parents had the side effect of making Daniel fairly wealthy, to the point that he needed nothing from the marriage as far as assets. He simply disappeared and had no direct contact with her until today.

"Are you finding the peace you need, Daniel?"

"I'm starting to, Darlene. I have some help in that regard, and I'm starting to get there."

"I'm glad, I really am. I still love and care about you and I hope you make it. I won't bother you again, but my contact information hasn't changed if you ever want to reach out to me."

"Thanks, Darlene. I hope you found what you wanted by coming out here."

"I think I did, Daniel. I hope...well, I just hope you're okay. I'll leave you alone now. Goodbye."

Daniel waved as Darlene turned and made the short walk back to her car. She pulled slowly away, looking at him briefly and giving a slight smile and wave as she pulled away. It turned out to be the last time he ever saw her. He later heard she had moved out of state, but it may have been only a rumor.

Daniel fired up the mower again and finished the section of lawn he had been mowing before his ex-wife drove up. Normally a source of quiet and an opportunity for reflection, the mowing had lost its effectiveness for today, but he didn't want to leave this area undone. He pulled into the maintenance shed on the back acre of the cemetery, behind the administration offices. He carefully cleaned the machine and then headed for the office, locking the shed behind him.

The coolness of the air conditioning felt good on his sweat-soaked torso. He moved into the maintenance room and stripped the shirt off. It was a couple of minutes before he glanced over and saw Connie watching him with admiration.

"Who was that?" she asked.

"The ex."

"Thought so. What'd she want?"

He recounted the conversation as best he could remember.

"Don't know exactly why she came. To make sure I'm okay, I guess. Probably to soothe her conscience. Maybe I'm not the only one looking for a little peace."

"You okay?"

"Sure, now that she's gone and you're here."

"I think you need to get in the shower. You smell like grass."

"Can do. You gonna join me?"

"Don't I always? Debbie," she shouted back toward the office. "I'm taking a break. A long break."

"You two have fun now," came a voice from the front office.

Connie was already unbuttoning her blouse as she joined her fiancé in walking to the shower.

*****

fin

BigGuy33
BigGuy33
3,104 Followers