Penelope Layne

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
jj26809
jj26809
220 Followers

"Yes you have. I've never understood why. I mean I'm no upper class wealthy snob but I am educated and always tried to be professional. I did get into trouble when I got pregnant but even then I thought I was in love."

"To be honest, I thought you were just a gold digger I guess. Then when you moved in with Mr. Vanderwalls, I presumed too much. I guess I was even a little jealous. I'm 59 and my husband left me about fifteen year ago for a twenty something. It made me bitter and cold. I don't know why I acted toward you like that."

Penny asked "Did you by any chance love Charles?"

Gertrude lowered her eyes and said "I think I did. I always hoped he would talk to me like a friend. I know I'm ten years older than he. I also knew it would never happen. Now I'm just a bitter dried up old hag. Anyway don't let me spoil your first day." She got up to leave.

"Gertrude." Penny said just before the old woman left. "Please feel free to talk to me about anything. I'd really like us to be friends." Gertrude smiled weakly and left.

Penny had an idea and she discussed it with Charlie. Charlie agreed and told her good luck. The next morning Penny stopped by Gertrude's desk and dropped off a fresh Danish and a latte'. "Eat up girl. We need some meat on your bones. Plan on a long lunch. We need to talk. And I won't take no for an answer."

Gertrude just looked up and nodded. Penny thought she even saw a faint smile. During a nice lunch at a fine restaurant, Penny and Gertrude had a nice conversation. Penny then announced she was taking Gertrude for a complete makeover. "Girl, we need to find you a nice gentleman for you and to get you laid." Gertrude almost spit out her tea.

"Penny, no one has ever done anything for me before. Not even my ex-husband. I've been so rude to you and you are doing this?"

"Well, dear friend, a very nice man once helped me out a few years back. Now it's my turn to carry on. You don't owe me anything except to try to find some happiness in your life. Now let's go. We have an appointment." Penny took Gertrude to a spa for a complete makeover. She had her hair, makeup and nails done. She was treated to a nice massage. Penny then signed Gertrude to a guest gym membership.

After the long afternoon lunch, the two ladies talked some more. Gertrude said with tears "Penny, no one has ever done anything like this. I am so off putting, I really don't have any friends. I again apologize for the way I treated you." Penny gave the older woman a big hug and a smile.

Over the next several weeks, Gertrude's whole attitude changed. Everyone at the firm noticed the remarkable turnaround including one of the older partners. George was of counsel to the firm and was around sixty. Eventually he asked the lady out and she accepted. Who knows what the future may bring but right now for Gertrude, it looks bright.

Penny and Charlie were sitting home on Sunday afternoon when the phone rang. It was Paul, Penny's father. He sounded upset.

"Daddy, what's wrong. Are you all right?"

"It's your mom."

"What happened to her now? She couldn't save some devil fiend? I don't even care. The way she treated me she gets what she deserves."

"She's dead Penny. She was killed a little while ago. We had a church picnic and while she was cleaning up before the thunderstorm, she was struck by lightning. I'm at the hospital now but it was instant." It seems God does work in mysterious ways.

"I'm sorry for your loss Dad. Let me know about the arrangements. Good-bye." Penny hung up and cried. While she hated what her mom did, she did love her. She had hoped one day to mend fences but now that would never happen. She hoped that one day her dad would come around. That happened after the funeral.

After the services and condolences from all the sanctimonious pricks, Paul asked to speak to his daughter.

"Penny, my dear; I want to say how sorry I am. I should have been there for you. I guess I was a weak man in not standing up to your mother. I only hope that you forgive me. This will also be my last service at this church. I only went because your mom forced me. If you can find it in your heart to forgive, I want to be a part of your life again." Penny had never seen her dad cry before. It took a few months but Penny did forgive her dad and eventually he became a big part of her life and an even better grandpa.

*

Epilogue: Penny and Charles worked together for many years. They never did have any more children. Charlene grew up and became a doctor of all things. She married a young attorney at her parents' firm. Charles retired at sixty two and lived another twenty five years finally passing at eight seven. Penny never even dated another man until she passed at seventy nine.

As for Mitch, after he signed the papers, no one from the family ever had contact with him again. Charlene never even tried to find her biological sperm donor. Charlie was the only dad she ever knew or wanted.

jj26809
jj26809
220 Followers