People Can Change Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DeYaKen
DeYaKen
1,625 Followers

The last comment made me angry. I managed to continue without raising my voice.

"That's rich coming from you," I said. "At least when Nicola gets home late she doesn't head straight to the shower to cover the fact that she's been working her arse off in a certain barristers bed."

It was only guess work based on what had come out on the day of the inquest, but the look on her face told me I had scored a direct hit.

"What are you talking about?" she asked. "Did she tell you that?"

"You told me, Julie. Ruined six years of your life, you said. We've only been divorced for five. That means he was having an effect on your life for a year before our divorce. Then someone mentioned your affairs with Miles, as in more than one. Put that together with the six months leading up to the day I threw you out. You started working late, and whenever you did you would go straight up to shower and change before you even kissed me hello. I realise now you were washing off the smell of sex."

"For five years you let me beat myself up about what I had done to you. The thing that really made me feel like shit was that you were totally innocent. You weren't innocent, though, were you? You were an adulteress. I was just looking in the wrong place and who knows, if our sex life hadn't dried up perhaps I wouldn't have been looking at internet porn in the first place."

"I'm sorry," I said. "For four of the last five years I've been trying to get us back together, but I got knocked back every time. Now I have someone who really loves me and I'm free to be with her."

I held up my hand to show her the empty ring finger.

"In spite of what I now know, I'll always be a friend to you. I have to do that for the sake of the girls. But that's as far as it goes."

With that I got up to leave. The look on her face was a mixture of shock, shame and anger. As I got to the door I turned to look at her again. I could see the tears running down her cheeks.

"Don't be so sad," I said. "You got off a hell of a lot lighter than Miles."

Her mouth dropped open and she brought her right hand up to cover it. I turned and walked out through the door.

DeYaKen
DeYaKen
1,625 Followers