Pet Peeve

Story Info
A reader's rant turned plea.
791 words
9.4k
2
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

So, I will admit, when I first came to Literotica, I was looking for the goods. You know, DA GOOOODZ. Porn, smut, licentious lit! Dirty, sweaty sex served up in the sweet package of a short story. Cheap thrills that last only as long as fingers fly. And did I find that? Hell yes! In spades! But much to my amazement, I also found, lo and behold! Real writers. All the more shocking for an erotic site, real writers of NON-erotica. Gasp! Who knew?

This was not just dirty dabblers, submitting messy fucks of a quality no better than the juvenile scratching on a restroom wall. I found writers of characters that live and breathe. Tellers of tales that walk off the page and whisper their story directly into your ear, touching your heart and leaving their imprint there. I have read stories that have made me tremble, made me cry. Stories that made me break my readers silence and laugh or groan or shout out loud. Stories that excited both my mind and body. Stories that resonate in a way that I know I will never forget them . However...we come now to my pet peeve. The reason for this rant.

Countless times now, I have been on the edge of my seat shivering with the excitement a reader feels when they come across a true gem. Heart beating faster than normal...back of my mind mumbling...oh geez, oh man, oh boy, oh whiz, this is fanfreakintastic, perfection personified, this story is... what... what... whaaatttttt.... INCOMPLETE??!!! When a few more clicks of the mouse confirms my worst fears ,that this is not just a case of a bit of a delay before the next chapter, YEARS have gone by. This story that so caught me and sucked me in...is most definitely going to remain, unfinished. The inevitable tantrum commences. What sin did I commit to be sent to reader hell? Am I a criminal and this is my punishment? Can I sue? For this is surely cruel and unusual punishment! Someone get me the yellow pages, I need a lawyer, ASAP!

Aww, crap! See this?! See what you did?! You got my eye twitching ...again! I have developed facial ticks, people! Facial ticks! (Slaps hand over offending eye and continues) Dear , God, I have been reduced to a one eyed, one handed typing, leg twitching like a crack head in need of a fix, FREAK! I am so marking this down on my list of "What Literotica has done to me". My lawyer might want to see it some day. But I digress.

Let me tell you, I am well and truly sick of being cruelly pimp slapped back to reality by a hand in the shape of a chapter left dangling. I think my husband is also well and truly sick of being witness to the grand purple hissy fit thrown after . I'm a big girl now, I can handle delayed gratification. By all means, tease and torment...make us wait a delicious moment for the next installment of a story that is well worth the wait. But this rant has turned into a plea, ONLY do this with stories that are finished. One never knows, their muse may decide to hibernate at a most inopportune time. Characters may stop talking to the writer, answering with only silence as the writer begs for more. Computers shit the bed, and perhaps due to low balances in bank accounts, take longer than anticipated to fix. By the time the author is back, fingers ready and raring to go, they begin to tap away only to find...the story has died inside them. Words written are hollow or just don't come at all. Been there, done that, didn't buy the t-shirt.

So I am shaming myself in begging, pleading. Getting my knees dirty as I kneel with clasped hands of supplication. Feed us the chapters slowly if that is what you wish, anticipation can make completion so much sweeter. But make sure the story is a finished one before you start to tell it to us. I and my beleaguered husband would be most grateful. As will my nervous computer, who has heard me say one too many times " I swear to God, if this happens one more time, I am chucking this thing out the window!". Thank you to all those who read this to the end. I feel much better. Do you not find crazy rants liberating? I'm off for a smoke and a stiff drink to celebrate this purge. Anyone care to join me?

*FYI- I have smartened up and now check to see if a story is complete....but from time to time, some still slip past me, D'oh!*

  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
11 Comments
KOLKOREKOLKOREabout 16 years ago
Thanks for time well spent...

Face it, many people do like to complain, me among them. Us complainers have many good reasons to do so. I believe we should do so constructively (if at all possible), and if humor is inserted, well, that is my recipe for the best crafted complaint. Speaking of complaints, I believe it's a relatively recent phenomenon that the word complaint got such bad rap.. but I digress. I enjoyed your very well crafted complaint. <P>

In a way of adding to the self defense preemptive techniques included in previous comments, I want to mention the ‘preemptive – reading- of- existing- trustworthy- comments’ (especially when it comes to stories with 3 or more pages). It may take away some potential suspense, but to the most part, it could save (speaking from personal experience) a lot of agony, not to mention physical pain, incurred due to not having to bang heads over hard surfaces for wasting time on reading bad @#&*...

Thanks for time well spent...

AnschulAnschulabout 16 years ago
I'm with you...

Here's the thing...that "Muse" crap is B.S. As a professional writer, one who earns his living at the keyboard, writer's block, "the Muse" is an excuse for not taking the writing seriously. If anyone out there wants to be a writer, whether for fun or profit, take it seriously. A bad finished work is better than an unfinished work, because one can learn from bad work. Advice to all who attempt: Don't start a journey until you know where it's going. In writing as in life, at least have a framework. We have a name for the aimless wanderer. That may be great, even fun, in life. Writing is different. Unless you plan to write only for yourself (which is okay), remember that others are reading. You wouldn't want to be unfulfilled. Neither do your readers.

sassynycsassynycabout 16 years ago
too funny....but so true

audible laughter escaped my lips as i read this. funny and witty, as the truth often is. brilliant word play....vivid images. i've been reduced to the shakes a time or two, left so strung out by an author. i don't smoke, but i will join you for that stiff drink.

damppantiesdamppantiesover 16 years ago
Errr...

Oh, um... *whistles, looks at toes and generally tries to be inconspicuous* Oh, okay! I've done this. I have! Please, forgive me. I just cannot seem to continue the one I had started. I can't find the words. Every time I open a new document and try to continue, it looks like CRAP and I'm disgusted with the whole thing and curses to computer, brain and the written word ensue, then it just has to be ctrl+A and delete! It's as frustrating on this side of the fence as it is on that, believe me.

bud444bud444over 16 years ago
BEEN THERE...DONE THAT

WHAT I DO NOW IS COPY THE CHAPTERS TO A FILE, AND START READING AFTER THE STORY IS POSTED IN ITS ENTIRETY. ANOTHER COMPLAINT, WRITERS WHO CANT, OR WONT, PUT A SIMPLE "TO BE CONTINUED" OR "THE END" AFTER COMPLETING EACH INSTALLMENT. LASTLY I LOOK TO SEE THEIR WRITING HISTORY, IF HE HAS THREE OR FOUR STORIES WITH CHAPTER #1 WITHOUT A CHAPTER #2 SPREAD OVER 6 TO 18 MONTHS, I JUST PASS NO MATTER HOW INTERESTING THE TITLE...LET HIM DRIVE SOMEONE ELSE CRAZY

Show More
Share this Story

Similar Stories

Getting Hired 18-year-old Sally gets hired on the spot for her first job.in NonConsent/Reluctance
Teacher’s Nightmare Ch. 01 Young teachers submits to bully to help her younger brother.in NonConsent/Reluctance
Nipple Piercing! (Femdom) A surprise for her!in BDSM
Total Commitment A man’s girlfriend begins to push for much more control.in Romance
Behind Closed Doors Two quiet lovers find they can speak each other's language.in BDSM
More Stories