Picking up the Pieces Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"The fact is, Brian, we may be the ones who are weak. We say we're soured on the opposite sex. I've even used the excuse that becoming involved romantically with my business partner would be a mistake.

"You are right in accusing me of teasing you, toying with your emotions. It was cruel of me. But, Brian, did you stop to think that it may have been my way of expressing true feelings without committing to anything serious?"

Peggy opened her beer and took two long swigs before deciding she needed a glass. "Did you stop to think that I was expressing my true feelings?" she repeated the question as she walked to the cabinet.

"Is that what you were doing?" Brian asked, watching her take her seat and pour the beer into the glass.

She looked into his eyes, and smiled. He smiled back.

"What would you like to believe?"

"I would like to believe that you were acting out your true feelings. Were you?"

She shook her head, and for a second he thought that she was telling him no, that she had not expressed her true feelings. "I haven't kissed a man the way I kissed you last night for...it's been years. Brian, I didn't want it to stop. If my parents had not been watching I would have kissed you for an hour. There, I admitted it. Let's just hope that I haven't ruined our business partnership."

He watched her tip her glass back and take a long swig of beer. "Is the business partnership that important to you?"

She ginned at him, and slowly shook her head. "It was, but that was a month ago. It isn't any longer."

"What changed? Was it the kiss last night?"

She shook her head again. "It was the note you wrote the other day. You wrote, 'I trust you.'"

"I do trust you, and I know from the way you leave that box of money in my closet that you trust me."

She got up and moved into his lap. "Are you still going to take me to the new restaurant next weekend?"

"If you kiss me the way you did last night I'll take you anyplace you want to go."

"Brian, last night's kiss was just a warm up. I was holding my daughter in one arm, and my parents were watching. Amanda is not here tonight, and neither are my parents. Are you ready for me to turn up the heat?"

"You're teasing me again."

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to," she said, as she brought her lips down to his, meshing, devouring, and moaning. Their mouths opened, and their tongues lashed. They had their arms wrapped around each other, and her breasts were glued to his chest. When she came up for air, he moved his lips down to her neck, making her purr.

"We've got to get some furniture. We need a make-out couch," she said before she resumed kissing him.

"There's the bed," he suggested the next time they took a break to breathe.

"You've made good progress tonight, Brian. Don't rush me."

"Okay," he said, pulling her down for another kiss. There was no need to apologize. She was right; he had made good progress, and would be satisfied...for now.

"You're a good kisser," she said, getting off his lap and taking her chair.

They heated the pizza in the oven, and discovered that they were hungry. After devouring three slices and drinking a second beer, Peggy said it was time for her to leave. Brian walked outside with her. It was a clear night.

"I'm glad we had the talk. Thank you for being patient with me," she said.

He pinned her to the car. They kissed for several minutes. "Have you changed your mind about being sour on all men?"

"I'm still sour on all but one, a very sweet one," she answered, kissing him one last time before slipping into the driver's seat.

Brian watched the taillights of her car fade before he went inside.

They didn't see each other until Saturday, but there was always a message waiting for him to read when he got home. The message usually began with information about the business or that she had done the shopping. Brian quickly scanned the routine stuff, anxious to read the last sentence. At the end of the week he had memorized five last sentences.

Monday: 'Thanks for the pizza. I had a good time kissing you.'

Tuesday: 'I'm looking forward to Saturday night.'

Wednesday: 'Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm glad Samantha dumped you.'

Thursday: 'Will Saturday be our first official date?'

Friday: 'I have a surprise for you.'

~

Saturday, March 25, 2000

Peggy phoned early on Saturday morning, saying that only two dealers were scheduled to stop by that day. "Dad got a call about a pharmacy going out of business. We're going to the auction today if you agree? We'll only invest if the prices are right?"

"You've made all the right calls so far," Brian laughed.

"I'll see you tonight," she said, sounding rushed, but when Brian didn't respond, "We are still on for tonight, aren't we?

"I'm looking forward to it," he said.

"Good, me too," she said, letting a twinge of longing creep into her voice.

Brian was disappointed because he had looked forward to their spending the day together. Where were they going to store another truckload of inventory? Should he make room in the barn? Thinking that she might not purchase anything at the sale, he decided to wait until he knew for sure.

It was a nice spring day so he decided to work outside, preparing the house for painting. He was high on a ladder, sanding fascia boards, when an elderly gentleman walked up the drive. Brian quickly climbed down the ladder when he saw that the man was agitated and out of breath.

"Brian, I'm Edmond Brown, your next door neighbor. Mary suggested that I ask if you can help me get my car started. It seems that Harry and Peggy have gone off someplace. My wife needs to see a doctor."

"I can try. What's wrong with your car?"

"It must be the battery. We haven't driven the car for I don't know how long."

Brian ran in the house for the keys to his truck, and drove the elderly gentleman to the house next door. After straining to push the Brown's car out of their garage, he connected his jumper cables. He told Mr. Brown to try the starter, and the car started immediately. That's when he saw the elderly lady sitting in the passenger's seat.

Brian unhooked the cables, and had barely closed the hood before the car sped down the drive and turned onto the road.

He wondered what caused the urgency for Mrs. Brown to see a doctor. Did the Browns know they could dial 911 when they had an emergency?

He closed the Brown's garage door and went back to preparing the house to accept paint.

With the exception of two visits from flea market dealers who wanted to purchase more teddy bears and children's toys, Brian spent a quiet day on the ladder.

He was getting ready for his date when the phone rang.

"Brian, this is Edmond, next door."

"Yes sir, did you make it to the emergency room on time?"

"Yes, we made it, thanks to you. Ethel fell and sprained her arm. Fortunately, it isn't broken. She wanted me to thank you for your fast thinking this morning. I was so upset that I couldn't think what to do. Thanks for closing the garage door."

"You're welcome Mr. Brown. You may want to start your car once each week to charge the battery, even if you're not going out. Also, you may want to back the car into the garage so I can hook up the cables without pushing it out of the garage."

After several seconds of silence, Brian added, "I'll come over and back it in for you if you want."

"That would be very kind of you, Brian."

"Okay, I'll see you tomorrow," Brian said, glad to end the call. He didn't want to be late for his date with Peggy.

He picked Amanda up the second he got inside the Mendon home, and took a seat near Harry.

"Is that a new suit, Brian?" Mary asked.

"No, but I haven't worn it in some time."

"Margaret will be a few minutes. They just got back a few minutes ago," Mary said.

"How did you make out?" Brian directed his question to Harry.

Harry grinned. "I believe we did all right. My truck is loaded with everything from hot water bottles to tooth paste, but I'll let Peg fill you in on the prices she paid."

Brian and Amanda entertained each other for the next twenty minutes, until Peggy came into the room. She was wearing a long dark skirt with a red blouse, the same pearls he'd seen before, and matching earrings. Her hair was cut short, parted on the left, and just touching her ears. The haircut made her look like a teenage boy.

"Wow, doesn't mommy look nice?" he asked the little girl. She nodded her head, grinning at Brian, and then at her mother. He wondered if the new hair style was the surprise she had promised.

Peggy took Amanda and placed her in her mother's lap. The little girl looked up as her mother gave Brian a 'hello' kiss, saying that it had been ages since she had seen him.

"Don't wait up for me, Mom. We may stop by Brian's house to discuss...business...after we have dinner."

"We won't wait up. Have fun, you two," Mary said.

Peggy kissed Amanda goodnight, and told her it was time for bed. Brian leaned down to kiss Amanda. He then helped Peggy with her coat, and they left. The restaurant was crowded, and they had to wait for a table. Peggy introduced Brian to some girls she'd known in high school. Both of them were married, and invited Peggy and 'her date' to share their table.

For once, Peggy drew a blank. She looked to Brian for help.

"Thanks, but we have some catching up to do. Our conversation would bore you silly," he said, winking at the two women to send a provocative message.

"We'd love to eavesdrop, but we understand," one of them said, and the other one chimed in, "We're happy for you, Maggie."

"Were you called Maggie in high school?" Brian asked her when they were seated.

"I'm livid at you. They're the town gossips. By this time tomorrow, it will be all over town that poor Maggie found herself a gorgeous hunk."

Brian was amused. "Gorgeous hunk, is that what you think I am?"

"Of course not, but that's how they will blow it up to make the story juicy. Otherwise, no one would listen."

"I'm crushed."

Peggy said that she was hungry, but didn't order an appetizer. Brian wondered if she was in a hurry to get to his house. He didn't order an appetizer either. They placed their orders, steak for him, salmon for her, and had a glass of wine while waiting for their meals to be prepared.

"What did you mean when you said we have some catching up to do?" Peggy asked.

"I don't know. What did you mean when you told your mom not to wait up for you?"

"You'll see."

"Peggy, I've got to know. Is this the night?"

"Definitely not; this is our first official date."

"What was last Saturday night? You wrote that you enjoyed kissing me."

"Hmmm, okay, this is our second date."

"What about the valentine party?"

"We can count that night, but I'm still cautious about becoming involved romantically with my business partner."

"So, what you said about going to my house to talk business was the truth?"

"I only have one business item to discuss, and then we can make out for a while."

"Does it involve what you bought today, and where we're going to store them?"

"Indirectly, but let's discuss that later. Right now, let's make my classmates envious," she said, sliding her hand across the table, and looking into his eyes.

"You really are a tease," he said, showing annoyance, remembering how she had carried on at his manager's house.

"Hold my hand and look into my eyes."

He placed his hand on hers, and looked into her eyes. "Is everything a game with you?"

"What do you mean?"

"You put on a show in public. You made everyone in my department believe that we are lovers, and you probably gave your parents the same impression when you showed Amanda how big girls kiss. You're the classic tease."

Peggy pulled her hand back, and slumped in her chair. "I'm frightened, Brian. I'm afraid that I'll make the same mistake with you that I made with Matthew."

"What did you do, go to bed with him on your first date?"

"No, it was our third date," she said, her lips barely moving.

"This is our fourth date. Amanda's birthday party was the second, and last Saturday night was the third."

Peggy banged her hand down on the table. "Fine, if that's what you want, let's go. Don't blame me if it ruins our business partnership."

"Sit down," Brian ordered, and then to the waiter who was placing their meals on the table, "we'll have another glass of wine, please."

They didn't talk until the wine was delivered to the table.

"Do you think I'm a tease?"

"Peggy, it's not just the display you put on in public. I live for those messages you leave on my computer. I come home from work, hoping to see you, but you're already gone. You end those messages with a teasing sentence. Yes, I think you are a tease."

"You can't imagine how much I want to hang around to welcome you home. I leave because I'm frightened of what I'll do. Teasing you in public is my security blanket. I know I can show my affection for you without taking it to the next level."

It took Brian a few minutes to digest what she had told him. "You feel affection toward me?"

"I do, hey, this salmon is delicious. Would you like to try it? I'll swap you for a slice of that steak."

Brian was amused. Was making a food swap taking it to the next level?

"What's funny? Brian, we're going to sleep together tonight. I don't see any reason why we can't sample each other's food."

Brian quickly cut a slab of his steak, and passed his plate across the table for her to make the exchange.

Peggy took a bite of the steak and pronounced it superb. Brian took a bite of her salmon and said he was glad she had suggested that they taste each other's food. They put down their forks and stared at each other, smiling.

"Are you ready to go?" he asked.

"Everything was delicious, but I'm full," she said, placing her napkin on the table.

Brian motioned for the waiter to bring the check.

"Is everything to your satisfaction, Sir?" the waiter asked, looking at the uneaten food on their plates and the nearly full glasses of wine.

"It is delicious. I guess we're not as hungry as we thought," Brian said.

The waiter produced the check, and Brian told him there was no need for him to return the change.

Peggy smiled as he helped her with her chair, and steered her toward the entrance.

"Don't you dare smile smugly at those high school classmates," Brian warned, but the damage was already done. The two women were whispering to each other as they watched Peggy and Brian leave the restaurant.

12