Picking up the Pieces Ch. 05

Story Info
Peggy gets her way.
6.5k words
4.71
16.8k
4

Part 5 of the 10 part series

Updated 10/07/2022
Created 12/10/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
REGade
REGade
152 Followers

Chapter 5 Peggy gets her way

February 2001

It began snowing on Friday night. It was just after midnight when the police called, asking for Brian.

"Your name and phone number were found in Mr. Brown's pocket. Edmond and Edith Brown were killed in an automobile accident. Do you know their next of kin?"

At first, Brian blamed himself for not checking on his neighbors when it started to snow. Where were they going that was so important? He didn't know if the Browns had children. He drove his truck next door, cleared the snow from the street to the garage, let himself in, found their address book in the kitchen, and called the only Brown. It turned out to be their son, who first showed shock, followed by skepticism that Brian was being truthful about his parents' death. Brian gave the phone number and name of the police officer who had contacted him. Eventually, the son thanked Brian, and said he would break the news to his sister.

After several more telephone calls, Brian volunteered to meet the brother's flight on Sunday. Thirty minutes later the sister called, giving him her flight's time of arrival.

Not a single dealer objected to Brian closing the business on both days, but Peggy was concerned.

"We'll miss two days of sales," she protested.

"Every business in town will be closed this weekend. Anyway, you're in no condition to be out in this weather."

Amanda agreed. "Mama in no condition."

They laughed, and Brian thanked his daughter for agreeing with him.

Peggy persisted. "I have a shipment arriving on Monday. Where will I put it?"

"I'll rent a trailer and hide it behind the barn. If the shipment really shows up, I'll be here to accept it. I'll take a few days off."

"What would I do without you? What would we do without your Da, Amanda?" Peggy asked, kissing her daughter, and then kissing Brian.

Amanda insisted on going to the airport with him, and of course, the flights were delayed due to the weather. Both brother and sister had decided to bring their spouses, something Brian was not prepared for. Needless to say, the Camry was overloaded with five grownups, a child, plus luggage.

Wayne Brown and his sister, Melinda Caper had numerous questions about the sudden death of their parents. After repeatedly telling that he didn't know what had happened, Brian lost his temper.

"My daughter is not yet three years old," he said, hoping they would take the hint that she was too young to hear about death.

"What was your relationship with our parents?' Wayne Brown's wife asked.

"We live next door to the Brown's, don't we Amanda?"

The little girl was sitting on the lady's lap, and happy to answer a question that she understood. "They nice to me."

"I did odd jobs for your parents, little things that Edmond couldn't handle."

"Do you have a key to the house?' Wayne Brown asked.

"Yes, I'll give it to you after we get you inside."

"Dad must have trusted you."

"I checked on them from time to time, or your dad called me when he wanted something done. I don't know why they didn't let me know they were going out last night. It must have been an emergency," Brian said, still feeling guilty for not plowing the Brown's driveway before he went to bed.

Brian unlocked the door, and handed the key to Wayne. "My number is in their address book. Call me if you need anything," he said, picking Amanda up and heading for the car.

The telephone was ringing as they went through the kitchen door. "It's the people next door," Peggy said, handing him the receiver.

"Mr. Driver," the woman's voice began. "We can't find anything. Would you help us?"

As Brian discovered, what they needed was advice. It had been years since Wayne and Melinda had visited their parents, and their spouses had never met the older couple. Brian made arrangements for a meeting with the only mortuary in town, contacted their parents' lawyer, took them to the bank where the Browns' safety deposit box was located, and when Wayne's wife said she was starving, Brian took them to Mr. Bennett's café to have a mid-afternoon meal.

"We'll need an appraisal of the property. Do you know a realtor we can list it with?" Wayne asked.

Brian had heard Mr. Bennett speak of Lois Banks. She handled his rental property, but Brian didn't know if she did appraisals. The Browns' home would be tricky because of the un-kept condition, and the busy road would be a drawback, but the acreage would be very desirable to some buyers.

"I know a realtor. Shall I set up an appointment?" Brian asked, and it was agreed that the sooner they could put the property on the market, the better.

Brian waited until he got home to contact Lois Banks. He had never met the woman, and wanted to make sure she was competent before he recommended her to do the appraisal. Lois agreed to come to the house at ten AM on Sunday.

"It may be best if we act like we know each other," he warned.

"How many children do you have?" Lois asked.

"Amanda will be three next month, and Peg is expecting," Brian answered.

"I'm going with you," Peggy said.

"I don't think that's a good idea. It's slick and dangerous for you to..."

Peggy was already on the phone, making arrangements for Mary to watch Amanda the next morning.

They delivered Amanda to her grandparents' house, and drove to the Brown house. Brian supported Peggy on the walk from the car to the house like she was a china doll.

"Really, Brian, I'm not going to fall. You weren't this careful the night we made this kid," she chided him.

Brian was introducing Peggy to the two couples when the door opened. Lois Banks was attractive, flamboyant, and aging gracefully.

"Margaret, pregnancy agrees with you. Have you chosen a name yet?" she asked, going to Peggy before turning to Brian. "Where's Amanda?"

"She wanted to come, but she'd met the Browns and the Capers yesterday. She's entertaining her grandmother this morning. Melinda, this is Lois, the realtor I was telling you about. Lois, this is Wayne Brown," he said.

Lois shook hands with the two couples, but she was already writing the newspaper advertisement. "Spacious kitchen with panoramic view of the sweeping lawns, magnificent great room, multi-purpose room that could be used as a home office or a down-stairs bedroom, just look at the size of this bath. This house won't be on the market long. Let's see what we have upstairs."

Wayne, Melinda, and Brian followed Lois upstairs, but Peggy remained with the spouses. Lois inspected the three bedrooms and second bath, exclaiming about the size of the rooms, closet space, and views from all the windows. She acted as though she didn't notice the peeling wall covering, scuffed floors, and stained tile in the bathrooms.

She quoted a price, which Wayne took exception to, believing that the house and acreage should fetch much more. "How long would it take to sell?" he asked.

"I'll take a ninety day exclusive, and have a buyer moved in at my price, but if you hold out for your price it will take longer, and you'll probably be looking for another realtor at the end of my exclusive," Lois said, speaking frankly. Brian liked the candid way she expressed her opinion.

"I grew up in this house. It's solid," Wayne argued, and Melinda agreed with her brother.

They were back downstairs. Lois addressed the group.

"The house is going to need some work. I can put you in touch with a paperhanger, a painter, a floor finisher, and a tile setter, but you will still need new bathroom fixtures, appliances, possibly a new heating system. What do you plan to do with the furnishings?"

Melinda scoffed. "Burn the junk. It's been around forever, and I've always disliked it. I prefer modern."

Brian felt a tug on his sleeve, and followed Peggy to the far end of the room.

"Let's buy it," she said.

"We can't afford their price," he objected.

"The antiques are worth the price of the house."

"It would take years to unload this stuff at a fair price."

"We'll take years to pay them."

"They won't go for that. Can't you see that they're anxious to get their money and forget they ever lived here?"

Peggy arched an eyebrow, and Brian could see that she was determined to buy the house. He pulled her to him, kissed her forehead, and watched as she went into action.

"Lois, may we see you for a moment?"

Lois conferred with Peggy and Brian. It only took Peggy a few seconds to outline her plan.

Lois went back to the siblings. "Mr. Brown and Mrs. Caper, if you care to list your property with me I'll accept it at the higher price."

The brother and sister were obviously dubious, almost knowing that Lois was up to something, but they were anxious to settle the estate quickly, and signed the listing form.

Next, Lois drew up an offer from Driver Markets, Incorporated, and presented it, pointing out that Brian and Peggy would take the property as is. Wayne and Melinda rejected the offer, saying they would not agree to be paid their shares over the next twenty years.

Peggy was distraught that they were not going to get the house and especially the antiques. Brian consoled her. Amanda wanted to know what was wrong with mommy.

Harry and Mary commiserated with their daughter. Mary made beef stew and served it with her home made bread. As they left her parents' home, Peggy told them that she was happy to be going home to the small house. "I have a loving husband and a precious daughter. What more could I want?"

Brian was taking a few days off from work so they slept late on Monday morning, only to be awaken by a ringing telephone.

"This is Clifford Weston's secretary. Mr. Weston wants you to attend the reading of Edmond and Edith Browns' will."

Brian hung up in dismay. "The lawyer wants us at his office at ten," he told Peggy.

Wayne and Melinda were shocked to see Brian and Peggy enter the lawyer's office. They objected to the intrusion into their privacy, but the Mr. Weston assured them that the Drivers were named in a codicil, which their parents had signed a few months before.

The codicil was read first. It praised Brian for his unselfish attention to the Browns' needs. There was a list of dates when Brian and Peggy had come to their aid. They said that they were entitled to one-third of the property. Wayne and Melinda complained, saying that their parents' minds must have been failing, and that they would sue before they would permit the Drivers a share the estate.

Peggy excused herself, and while she was out of the room it was revealed that Wayne and Melinda would be entitled to all liquid assets, less expenses. Mr. Weston referred to the assets as a sizable sum, and by the time Peggy returned, Wayne and Melinda softened their stance toward Brian and Peggy receiving the inheritance as stipulated by their parents.

"We'll accept your offer, but we'll need payment in full. Naturally, you'll be responsible for one third of your friend's commission."

Brian knew that he and Peggy did not have the cash to make the deal, but he did want to make one point. "I just heard that you are responsible for all expenses. That would include the realtor's sales commission, would it not?" he asked, looking to Mr. Weston for the answer.

"That would be correct," Mr. Weston said.

"We'll have the money tomorrow," Peggy said, and whispered something in Brian's ear.

Brian offered to drive Wayne and Melinda back to the Brown residence, but they declined his offer, saying that they would be busy with the lawyer, the mortuary, and the bank for the rest of the day.

"You've got Mr. Bennett wrapped around your little finger," Brian teased Peggy.

"You had the Browns wrapped around your little finger. I never liked the way they prevailed on your good nature, but I must admit now that your generosity paid off. Those good deeds you did turned out to be very profitable."

"Taking Amanda with me didn't hurt. Edith adored her."

Peggy smiled at him, and Brian smiled back.

March 2001

Driver Markets, Incorporated took position of the former Brown residence on the fifth of March.

Brian was torn between his work at the office, renovations on their new residence, running the markets on weekends, and caring for Peggy, who was having a difficult time during her last weeks of pregnancy.

Their indebtedness to Mr. Bennett was weighing heavily on Brian. Peggy's words of assurance, 'check the cash box' did little to cancel his concerns. "I think you're nervous about becoming a father," she teased.

"I'm already a father," he contended.

Peggy smiled, and said, "Yes, you are."

Phillip Driver was born early on the sixteenth of March, 2001, one day before his older sister turned three. She and Brian celebrated with her grandparents, and then they went to visit Peggy and Phillip in the hospital.

Amanda was apprehensive. She didn't understand why the new baby took so much time, holding the attention of her parents. Brian took her with him to work on their new home each night, asking for her advice when he started a new project.

They started in the upstairs, discarding the old mattresses, bedding, and the Browns' clothing that had been left behind.

Harry helped when he could, but the work went slowly because Brian could only devote four nights per week to the house. He needed Friday night to prepare for the dealers to operate on Saturday and Sunday.

Although Peggy could not participate physically, she operated behind the scenes, bringing in new inventory, keeping the bills paid, and most importantly, choosing the wall covering that Brian was learning to hang in the upstairs bedrooms, bath and hallway.

Brian called to check on Peggy during every break. It always began with discussion of the business, but usually drifted to other subjects, mainly their relationship.

"I love you so much."

"I know you do. I love you, too."

"I'm sorry that I can't show you how much I love you."

"Don't be sorry. I'm fine."

"Would a blowjob help?'

"Peggy, I told you that I'm fine."

"Don't go next door tonight. I'll give you a blowjob."

"Stop teasing me. Be serious," Brian said, grinning to himself.

"Come straight home."

"I promise not to let a train hit me."

"Now you're teasing me. Am I really that paranoid?" she asked.

"Yes, but I love you anyway."

April 2001

Peggy paid her first visit to the former Brown residence. She had Phillip in her arms.

"See how hard your old dad is working? Do you think he needs help? She asked her young son.

"I help Da, mommy," Amanda said.

"We don't have the funds to pay professionals," Brian pointed out.

"Yes, we do. Besides, Phillip and I need you and Amanda at home with us. We miss you."

Brian had to admit that she made sense. They hired workmen to finish the downstairs, and although they didn't replace the appliances or bathroom fixtures, the fresh paint and wall covering made the house look like new.

May 2001

Peggy invited a few people to a housewarming party. In addition her parents, Mr. Bennett brought his bookkeeper, Mrs. Nixon. Lois Barns brought her husband.

Amanda took the visitors on a tour of the house. She was especially proud of her room. "That is Phillip's room, but he's afraid to sleep by himself so he stays close to my mom."

Peggy didn't want to leave Phillip at night, so she invited Mr. Bennett to have dinner with them each month when the mortgage payments were due. He demanded to be paid by check for the building and the new property next door, but he accepted envelopes filled with cash for the original property.

Mr. Bennett always wanted to know how their business was doing, and often spoke of his own businesses. It was clear to Brian that Mr. Bennett held Peggy in high esteem.

"If he was not seventy-something, I would be jealous," he teased Peggy after the elderly man left.

"I'm like a substitute daughter to him. He never sees her, and seldom hears from her. I wonder what drove her away."

"It's like the Browns' children. I wonder what drove them away."

June 2001

John returned from college to work the summer, but Sara found work elsewhere.

One of the projects Polly had planned was for John to plant evergreen seedlings at the rear of the properties. She assigned another teenager to help John plant the first thousand trees, something that would be continued each year.

It would be years before he trees would be ready for cutting, so Peggy made a contract with a tree company to deliver two truckloads of Christmas trees before December 1.

The warm weather was bringing new customers to the market on weekends. All aspects of their business were prospering. The dealers were happy, Brian was happy, and Peggy was happy. The small house was set up as an antique shop, and customers were clamoring to pay the prices Peggy set for the contents of the former Brown house.

One Friday night, Brian came back from setting up the market for the next day. He was tired and needed to get some rest. Dealers would arrive early, and customers would be right behind them.

"Why aren't you in bed?" he asked Peggy.

"Dance with me, Brian."

"Are the kids asleep?"

"They're sleeping like babies," she said, pushing him into a chair and unlacing his shoes.

They danced in their stockings on the newly refinished hardwood floor. It was obvious that Peggy had just stepped out of the shower. Her hair smelled fresh, like lilacs in the spring, and she felt soft in his arms.

"Are you happy, my sweet?"

"I'm ecstatic. Are you happy?"

"Would you be happier if we were married?"

"It doesn't matter. You're the mother of my children. That's all I need to know."

"I would you know, if it would please you."

"Stop teasing me. We both know why you don't want to get married and its fine with me, really."

"If you change your mind..."

"Stop!"

"Because I love you more..."

"Stop! I know your position on the subject. It's not that important to me any more."

"It's not that important since we have Phillip?"

"Yes, but before that, since you let me adopt Amanda."

She unbuttoned his shirt, and kissed his chest. He lifted her shirt over her head, and kissed her neck, down to her breasts, and on to her tummy. They drifted toward the stairs, as if the bedroom was drawing them to it.

Except for their socks, they were naked when they reached the bedroom. They lay down, and Brian continued to kiss her, and run his hands over her arms, back and front.

After ten minutes of this treatment, Peggy took his hand and placed it against her sex. "I won't break," she said.

"Are you sure it's all right?"

"I'm sure," she said, reaching for his cock.

He groaned. "Don't be surprised if you make that thing go off."

"You haven't gone all these months without doing something to relieve yourself."

"Well...maybe."

She laughed, and pulled roughly on his cock. He responded by pushing his finger into her pussy.

It seemed to take forever for him to maneuver into position, and then she had to guide his cock to her opening. "It's all right, really it is," she said, feeling him moving slower than she liked.

Once he got going it was quite enjoyable for both of them. They finished with a flurry, fatigue setting in. Brian fell asleep, and Peggy soon followed, a contented smile on her lips.

"You're getting old before your time," she chided him the next morning. "I thought you would be good for at least one more time."

"I'll catch up with you tonight."

"Promise?" she asked, and watched him grin at her.

The marriage issue was a forgotten subject, but Brian became the sexual pursuer, and Peggy was always receptive to his advances. She was opposed to taking precautions, saying, "If it happens, so be it."

"So be it," Brian echoed. Should she become pregnant again, he would rejoice. If nothing happened, he pledged to try again. Peggy agreed with his view of the subject.

REGade
REGade
152 Followers
12