Pink Panther Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Chief made the sign for me to turn on the bug killer, which I did. "Crowbar, I told Cindy what was going on, about Harlan and Gonzales, while we were flying down to Jacksonville State Prison. Only fair she knows."

"Thank you for doing so, Chief." I said. "So, Cindy, that explains a lot, doesn't it?"

"Motives for the crimes, yes." said Cindy. "Dawson may or may not have known, but was about to try to find out. Butch Fulmer apparently did know, from the days he was on the coaching staff here. I'm thinking Selena Martinez was raped by Gonzales, maybe he raped other girls, too?"

I nodded. "Yep. Brian Harlan molested young men at his football camps and in his athletic programs. Speedy did the same, but he helped himself to some women as well, and Martinez was one of them. She filed a complaint with the Campus Police after the crime took place. It wasn't acted upon and the report was pulled, but Myron found it on the backup servers."

"Butch Fulmer may have known about what Harlan was doing." I continued. "My suspicion is that he definitely knew, got photographic evidence of Harlan's actions, and put that evidence away for safekeeping. He was forced to leave the football team, but they let him live and even had Wilson Hammonds get him a job as a security guard. That way, they could keep tabs on him, and as long as he kept his mouth shut, they left him alone. He also knew this, and knew it was pretty much his only chance to live."

"And Quint Danielson may or may not have seen something at one of the camps where he was working with the young men, or maybe a one of them told him something that happened." I said. "That's why Russell had Kendra Luskin frame him. He's aware that his life will forever be in danger, but Dr. Eckhart has pretty decent security for his Trainers, including himself when he travels. So we're hoping they'll leave him alone, since killing him only pisses me off, and they know that if I die, the story is coming out and all hell will break loose."

"Who is this 'they', ov vich yoo speek?" asked Cindy, in an excellent imitation of my German accent.

"People who wanted this to not get out." I said. "University officials, all the way up to the University President. Politicians of this State at every level, from local to U.S. Senator level... especially the U.S. Senator level. Most of these people are guilty only of burying the secret instead of exposing it, and I understand their motives... the damage done by exposing this to the Public would be enormous, and fatal to the University."

"I will also add," I added, "that at the time there was a certain Consultant of Crime that was still alive and thriving... a man who himself indulged in the disgusting things Harlan was doing. I would imagine Westboro handled the cover-up himself. It did not behoove Westboro to have that explode anywhere near his County."

"There's that word again!" Cindy said, meaning 'behoove', and the typical response to its use at the Police Academy. Then she said "Dawson? Why target him?" asked Cindy.

"I don't think he knew, but maybe he got suspicious." I said. "Certainly with his hatred of the University athletics program, he'd expose them in a New York minute, just like Tim Dawdle wanted to do with the PED scandal. So part of the cover up is that he got fired from his journalism job, but was given work, enough to barely exist, by the law firm and Senator Russell."

"So why kill them?" asked Chief Griswold. "And why not kill them at the time?"

"I'll take the second part first." I said. "Killing people and leaving bodies around is not something criminals really want to do. Draws the attention of Law Enforcement. Butch Fulmer had hidden information, and strategically told people that he'd put information away that would come out if he died. Selena Martinez was probably told she'd be murdered if she did not run away and keep her mouth shut. Maybe they threatened to expose her family as being illegals. But killing her at that time might expose the rape, and then the whole house of cards begins to fall."

"As to killing them now," I said, "Dr. Jan Camp's lawsuit was the tipping point. She was under surveillance... illegal surveillance... from the time she made her good-grades allegations, and they found out she was trying to contact Dawson. Whether or not he knew anything, they did not know. But they panicked. They killed him, and in and of itself, there was nothing there to see."

"So then they killed Butch Fulmer." I continued. "And they tried to make it look like it was part of a robbery, but they left the frickin' statue behind, covered in clay. I think they suspected it had some kind of tracking device embedded, and they might've been right. But in and of itself, it was made to look like murder in the commission of a burglary."

"Then Selena Martinez was killed, as she knew what was going on... and if she heard the others' names on television as being killed, she might come forward with what she knew."

"But the Media suppressed the names." Cindy said. "So they're in collusion with the politicians on this, aren't they?"

"I don't know." I said. "I can hardly believe that someone as hate-filled as John Hardwood would not jump at the chance to expose all this, just to create pain for as many people as possible. But maybe his bosses were contacted, and were asked to not mention the deaths nor the names, with some reason attached. The corrupt Media colludes with the corrupt politicians far more than good people realize."

"And Gonzales?" asked Cindy.

"Well, they were 'in for a penny, in for a pound', as my Canadian friends say." I said with a grin, which caused Cindy to grin, too. "Brian Harlan was dead, so Speedy was the only perp left. So they waxed him, too."

"Harlan and Speedy's victims are still out there." said Chief Griswold.

"And none of them have come forward before now, and the perps knew they probably wouldn't come forward due to the shame of it all." I said. "And they're scattered all over this region of the country now, and likely didn't hear anything about the crimes... except Speedy's. They'd think their shameful secret was now buried, and they'd move on. Besides... as you told me, Chief... exposing this, no matter how good the intentions, would only bring hatred and threats to life and limb down upon the whistleblower, including those carrying crowbars."

Cindy nodded. Neither of us were happy about keeping this secret. But the perps were dead, no further Justice could be delivered unto them. Only pain for the School and the victims. An ethical dilemma worthy of philosophical discussion.

"Just one more thing." said Cindy. "The Pink Panthers."

"Like you said, ma cousine," I said with a grin, "it was all about me." Everyone chuckled, and I said "Seriously, I've been thinking about a weird theory. I can't prove it, it's just a wild ass guess. But I think the Panthers were left to get me interested in the cases, and to solve them... so that I would choose to say no more about them."

"I think I see what you're saying." said the Chief.

"I don't." said Cindy. "Explain yourself, mon Commandant."

"You were there, Chief," I said, "when I first went to the Governor to pardon Danielson. He flat out refused, and he also said I'd eventually figure out why, and would understand. So... let's look at this. Who are the people that would've killed these four? People that wanted to protect the secret. And so, is the person or persons that left the Panthers trying to expose the secret? That would mean they have to have come in after the murders and planted the discs. That won't do, especially in the Gonzales case."

"Soooo," I said, "I reasoned unto myself that the people leaving the discs are involved with the people committing the murders, if not actually the same persons. So why would they kill to bury a secret, only to get me interested in finding that secret? Ah, the Governor himself said it... he said I would agree with him. And about the dirty secret, I have to admit that I do."

"But you still forced Val to pardon Danielson." said Griswold. "You don't leave men bleeding on the battlefield." I understood the underlying compliment in that statement, and what Chief Griswold thought of me (for the good) for what I'd done.

"No sir, I do not." I said. "Anyway, my theory is that the Pink Panthers were planted to bind the cases together, and get me investigating them as a group instead of as separate incidents. And what do you know, the plan worked."

I noticed that Cindy had all but gone into a reverie. Must be a family trait, I thought to myself. A moment later she looked up, saw me looking at her, and said "I guess I'm a suspect, then."

I smiled, understanding. "No, not you. If you'd have known, you'd have come to me for advice once you learned the secret, just as I went to Chief Griswold when I figured it out." The underlying message was not lost on the Chief, who nodded, and I could see the emotion in his face.

To distract himself, Griswold growled "What do you mean, you're a suspect, Ross?"

"I've played disc golf with Don, Chief." said Cindy. "So have a few others, like Teresa and Todd. And we knew he has a Pink Panther disc; he's joked about it a couple of times. But only a few people could know that, so choosing that particular mold of disc limits who could've known."

"Well," I said, "I think the museum gave them the idea... like the original movie all those years ago."

"Or the cartoons." said Cindy, her ice blue eyes boring into my gray peepers. "And like you said, your kids know all about the cartoons..."

"Did the same perps kill all four of these victims?" asked Chief Griswold.

"Probably not." I said. "Dawson, Martinez, and Gonzales? Maybe. But the Butch Fulmer killing required some skill... to get into the museum, into the secure room, to get the Statue of Artemis out of its display case, and so on. Whoever did that... very expert."

"Or an inside job." Cindy said.

"Could well be." I replied. "Maybe Shane O'Brady can make a successful arrest, if that's the case. Meanwhile, as the late Paul Harvey used to say... stand by for news!."

I refused to reveal what I was talking about, even after a green crowbar was waved in my general direction, along with words that must be used in Canada a lot...

Part 23 - Scandal and Punishment

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Fox Two News!" shouted Bettina at 7:00am, Friday, October 6th from in front of the State Office Building on Courthouse Square. "Fox Two News is bringing you continuing coverage of the scandal that is rocking the Republican Party and politics all over the State!"

"Yesterday morning," Bettina said, "The Guardians of Justice released videotape and photographs of Republican Senator Samuel Russell in flagrante delicto with several prostitutes! The tapes are too graphic to be shown here, but they have broken the Internet with views on several viral sites! One of them, titled 'Meet Senator Samuel Russell', is believed to be connected to Russian operatives here in the United States. Senator Russell made a statement yesterday. Roll tape."

Tape rolled. The Senator was in front of the Federal Building in Midtown that held his home office. His wife was standing beside him, looking absolutely miserable as she was publicly humiliated, shamed, before the rabid Media that smelled blood in the water.

"These Guardians of Justice terrorists are just that, cowardly terrorists that are traitors to our Nation and a threat to our national security." said the Senator. "I will have to work hard to restore my good name and reputation, and the first step in that is to find these vicious bastards and administer to them the justice that they so richly deserve!"

"Mrs. Russell!" shouted John Hardwood, "do you stand by your husband after what the Nation is seeing on these videotapes?"

"Mrs. Russell!" shouted a female reporterette, maybe from Southport, "how do you feel about your husband cheating on you with whores, with prostitutes?"

"Mrs. Russell!" shouted another reporter, "have you contracted a sexual disease from your husband?"

Mrs. Russell did not respond, and she and her husband were escorted back into the building. Once inside, away from the cameras, she did what any scorned wife should do. She loaded up and slapped Senator Russell as hard as she could as she screamed "You bastard!"

But that was not shown on television. Back to Bettina live: "Republican Senator Russell says he has no plans to step down as the Senior Senator from our State. Governor Val Jared, also a Republican, excoriated Russell. Roll tape."

Tape rolled. "Senator Russell has humiliated himself and his wife, he has besmirched the United States Senate, and he has shown nothing but contempt for our State. I urge Samuel Russell to resign as U.S. Senator immediately!"

Back to Bettina: "In other news from the State Capitol in Midtown, Fox Two News has learned that a major meeting of the State Legislature's leadership, as well as the leadership of both political Parties, will take place this morning, and that Governor Jared will be in attendance. Experts are saying that this could be the final ultimatum to Governor Jared to resign before steps are taken to impeach him.

"Let's go to Dr. Romanov of the University's Institute for Politics." Bettina went on. "Dr. Romanov, is this the end for Governor Val Jared? Will the mistake of his election be rectified by the Legislature?"

"Bettina," said Dr. Romanov, "we just don't know yet. The State is paralyzed by the actions of Governor Jared, which many believe are illegal, and everyone with any integrity knows is racist. Governor Jared is a 'white nationalist' that puts unethical preference for businesses ahead of the suffering People of the State..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Good grief." said Theo Washington as he viewed some of what the Guardians of Justice had released. "That is some explicit stuff."

"That man's poor wife." said Joanne Warner. "Did you see how she looked, having to stand there by him and hear those questions? I don't understand why she'd stand there with him at all."

"You wouldn't stand by your man?" asked Teresa Croyle.

"Ma'am," said Joanne, somewhat severely. "Seth would never do that to me. He honors me and I honor him. And if he did do something that scummy, he would know I wouldn't be there beside him. Besides, he doesn't need trash like those women. I'm a good wife to him, in every way."

"My wife is good to me, too." said Theo. "And she'd skin my hide, literally, if I stepped out on her."

"I saw the tapes last night." said Mary Mahoney, whose hair was bright pink this morning, and her cheeks rosy with her pregnancy. "I'm pretty sure that woman in the metallic red wig is from this Town."

"I think you're right." I said, knowing for sure that she was right.

"Think he'll resign, sir? Senator Russell?" asked Teddy Parker, to me.

"It will depend." I said. "If they force Governor Jared out and Grahamnesty Collins becomes Governor, then maybe. If not, Russell will fight like hell to hold on, because he knows Jared would appoint a Grassroots Conservative instead of an Establishment Republican Elitist to the Senate."

"Will Jared hold on?" asked Theo.

"I think he will." I said, very sure.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The 'Banquet Hall' room of the State Capitol was a large room with ornate furnishings, and a huge oak table that was always kept to a mirror finish. It was used for banquets, but also for major legislative conferences and other meetings of tremendous importance to the State. It would be an understatement to say that this meeting was of tremendous importance to the State.

The Governor of the State sat in the middle of the table, on the far side from the doors where other politicians were entering. To his right was State Senator Jimmy 'Coffin' Cerone (D - Southport). To his left was State Senator Moe Molinari (R - Westphalia). As legislators came in and took their places, the tension in the room became more and more suffocating.

State Senator Katherine Woodburn (D - Town & County) entered, and most of the men in the room did not try to hide that they were looking at her shapely legs and fine ass as she sauntered to her place near the end of the table on the Democrats' side, but in the relatively superior far side of the table. Her contingent of the 'Wall of Granite' took their seats, as well.

Opposite the Governor was the place for Lt. Governor Graham Collins. His face was a mask of somber displeasure as he took his place, not greeting other politicians as he normally would do. State Senators Sean Stockton and Johnny Perdue and Representative Billy Williams took their respective places on the Republican side of the table.

Not all of the politicians in the room were State Legislators. Members of the Governor's Cabinet were there, including SBI Director Tom Conlan. And two other men were in the room: United States Senators Samuel Russell and Richard Nunn.

And one person not in attendance, as she was not invited, was State Senator Maxine Watts (D - The City).

"Thank you all for coming." said Governor Jared as everyone settled into their seats. "Senator Cerone, would you begin?"

"Thank you, Governor." said Cerone, making sure the microphone was near enough that his voice was transmitted over the speakers in the room. "We have called this meeting to announce our actions going forward to resolve the issues that are taking up too much of our time and too much of the Media's airwaves. The Governor, his Cabinet, and the majority of our Legislators have reached an agreement, to which we expect all of you to adhere to."

The man saying that was once one of the most powerful Mobsters in the Nation. The man on the other side of the Governor was also a former powerful and influential member of the Mafia, and everyone else in the room knew that their expectations were not ephemeral in nature.

"The Governor is going to instruct the State Department of Justice to discontinue the lawsuits against companies over Immigration as a civil rights issue." said Cerone. "He has agreed to let the tax reform program work through the Legislature instead of the 'take it or leave it' approach he originally was making. In return, all discussion of impeachment for anything less than an actual high crime, which this Governor has not committed, will cease. The hostile language, including accusations of 'white nationalism', which has caused violence and riots and recently a death on the University Campus, will be toned down if not altogether discontinued."

"No way in hell!"

The voice was Katherine Woodburn's, and she rose from her chair as she yelled it. She said "I will not agree to any of that. I am going 'scorched earth' on this White Nationalist and outright racist Val Jared. I demand he be impeached by this Legislature! His continued occupancy of the Governor's Mansion is a humiliation to this State and affront to the Minorities in this State!" Her contingent in the 'Wall of Granite' applauded loudly.

"Ms. Woodburn, mind your tone." started Cerone, but Katherine was having none of it.

"Or what, Mr. Cerone?" snarled Katherine. "Are you going to put out a hit on me?" Gasps erupted as she continued. "What, are you going to send someone to the Iron Crowbar's County to kill me? I don't care if you do, I'm not stopping calling out this racist Governor; my voice will not be silenced, and there are thousands of people ready to take up my calls for words and actions!" More applause from the Wall of Granite. Cerone's face was red; he was most very angry, indeed.

The Governor stood up. "Senator Woodburn, I have done nothing that justifies your namecalling of me as a racist. I am not a racist, at all. Wanting to enforce the laws on the books regarding illegal immigration does not make me a racist. I am working for all ethnicities to create more jobs and more prosperity. At some point, Ms. Woodburn, I'm going to haul you into Court with a defamation lawsuit if you continue these baseless accusations. It's no longer political; I consider it personal and will act accordingly."