Playing Doctor Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I gulped and fought back the urge to dig into the crowd anyway. With more control than I thought I had, I walked out the front door and waved to the valet for my keys, already feeling oddly depressed.

In the morning, I was in a much better mood and had put the uncomfortable events of last night behind me by the time I walked through the front door to work, the Hammerstein Clinic for Reconstructive Surgery. Seeing my name listed as a junior partner still sent a glow to my cheeks. It reminded me that all of this around me, my work, and the career I had built through hard work and sacrifice, that was what was important in life.

Danny and Holly had made this place a force to be reckoned with in the field. And the fact that these two brilliant surgeons thought highly enough of me to offer me a junior partnership was a potent ego rush. The three of us were the only partners, though there were more than half a dozen associates of one kind or another and support staff.

Trina was manning the front desk, as usual. I stopped to smile at her while she was talking on the phone. A petite little thing, she couldn't have been more than five feet two and was as light as a feather.

Trina finished her phone call, and her smile at me slipped a little. "Good morning."

"Uh, oh. Trina, what's wrong?"

Tears slowly made her eyes shine. "Steve and I had a big fight last night. Sandy, I'm scared. I think I might have ruined everything."

I walked around the desk and pulled her out her seat and into a hug.

"Steve's a great guy, Trina. You both love each other and I can't see you doing anything to ruin that. What happened?"

She pulled back and sat back down, searching for a tissue in her purse while I parked my butt on the spare seat. "He's been spending more and more time out with his friends and I've been feeling ignored. So last night I brought it up. He insisted there was nothing going on. I suppose he was thinking I was worried about there being another woman."

"Are you worried about that?" I asked.

Trina shook her head. "No. Well, not really. He's never given me any reason to suspect he's been unfaithful. He just got so defensive about it and I got a bit paranoid. That infuriated him and I got defensive. And, of course, we argued. Um, it got pretty heated. He stormed out after about ten minutes, and now he won't take my calls. I screwed up bad and I've lost him." Her tears started pouring out again.

Without getting up, I pulled her head to my shoulder. "Shhhhh. It's not that bad. Everybody fights sometimes, even over minor things. If you like, I'll talk with him. I think if you keep trying though, you'll both get this sorted out."

Her eyes shone with hope. "Do you really think so? Would you talk to him?"

I smiled and kissed her cheek. "There's nothing that I wouldn't do for you, Trina. I don't let my friends down. I'll call him today and maybe even meet him for lunch. I can't promise anything, but I don't think all is lost. Let me watch the desk and you go freshen up before one of the guys sees you and wants to go punch Steve's lights out." That earned me a shaky smile as she left for the ladies room.

When she came back out, she looked a hundred percent better. I gave her another hug and made my way back to my office. A glance at the clock told me that I was behind schedule, but not badly. It's not like Mrs. Henderson was going to start without me, and as I had told Trina, I didn't let my friends down. I reviewed her case file and double-checked all the preparatory notes. When I was satisfied, I slipped out of my clothes and into surgical scrubs complete with hair and foot booties - what a fashion statement. Looking suitably professional, I tucked the file under my arm and went to surgical room two.

My patient was already there and so was my team. I smiled at Ben Crenshaw, the hulking black man that looked more like a linebacker than a surgical nurse. Then I gave a two-fingered salute to Anna Gomez, our resident anesthesiologist, while I set the file on the counter and started scrubbing up with the assistance of the scrub nurse, Rita Smith.

"Good morning everyone." After gloving up, I leaned over Mrs. Henderson. "And a good morning to you, too, Helen. Are we all ready?"

With a swallow, Helen nodded. "Yes, just do be careful."

I smiled and shook my head. "I'll treat them like they were my own. I've been exactly where you are right now, and I promise you that I'm confident you'll be fine. Anna is going to help you sleep and when you wake up, you'll be a new woman, a happy new sex kitten." I gave her a little growl and wriggled my eyebrows at her.

Helen smiled and relaxed. Then I stepped over to look at the instruments and the implants. Ben had worked with me for two years. He knew what I wanted and needed as well as I did. All the tools of my trade were laid out in their gleaming splendor and he had the implants I preferred. Some implants made the breast feel stiff and unnatural, but I insisted only the very best ones - those that were as malleable as the real thing. I also insisted on having six implants on hand during surgery. The size I thought I'd need and one notch up and down. When I made the cut and slid them in, I'd be able to move up or down to make them perfect.

"Spot on, Ben. You know me like the back of your hand," I said with a smile.

"But not as closely as I'd like to know you, hot momma." He returned the sexy growl and wriggling eyebrows I'd used earlier to calm Helen.

I laughed. Ben was a sweet guy, but I could never see myself sharing his bed, and he knew it. He was too much a friend and there just wasn't that kind of spark.

"You big ole tease. You'd freak out if I even acted like I was interested in you. Besides, I happen to know your girl would geld you if you if you even thought about touching another woman."

"She would do that," he admitted ruefully. "And they'd never find the missing parts, either.

We both laughed and went back to the painstaking preparation. When Anna signaled that Helen was ready, I stepped up and pulled the sheet down to expose her chest. Her breasts were small, but nicely formed. An A-B, just a little smaller than what I'd had before I let Danny convince me to step up to a C cup. Not that I didn't like the new me. I'd been shapely before, but my chest never matched up with my own self-image. Now the three of us were doing just fine. It also helped to have been under the knife. I knew exactly the sort of fears that Helen had, the same uncertainty. Every doctor should be a patient at least once.

Putting it all out of my mind, I made my first cut and started the process toward making another woman happier with her own appearance. Besides the breast enhancement, I had some other small adjustments to make with her curves. Nothing major. It wouldn't be any time at all before she was back up and at 'em, making men her age drool.

Hours later, after I accounted for every instrument and pad, I had Helen fully closed up and on her way to recovery. Tired, I stepped into the changing room and washed my hands. Then I put the bloodied scrubs into the bin and put on fresh ones. When I was done, I let Ben clean up, and I started getting the room ready for its next patient.

Danny came in through the door that Anna had used to wheel our patient out. He was in the suit that was almost the uniform of doctors everywhere, but even at fifty-something he looked better than most. His white hair reminded me of pictures I'd seen of Albert Einstein, with the locks refusing to cooperate in any way. When he stuck his tongue out at me, it always made me laugh so hard that my sides hurt because of the resemblance.

I shook my head. "Holly let you out of the house like that again? With that wild-man hair?"

With a boyish grin that belied his age, he leaned back against the wall. "Like anything can control it. We have people to clean up after us, Sandy. This isn't the emergency room where we need the room ready right away for the next customer."

"Like you don't do the same thing," I retorted with wry amusement. "Speaking of the emergency room, how did things go last night?"

His smile faded to a serious, slightly sad expression. "A car wreck. A really bad one. Holly took the mother and I took her daughter. Flying glass and debris cut them both to shreds. The girl was ten and her face was laid open with incredible trauma to the underlying tissue. It was painstaking work, getting all the glass out and putting things back in place so that the scarring would be minimal. You know what I mean. I just thank God her eyes weren't damaged."

I nodded, feeling my gut twist in sympathy. I hated car wrecks. You never saw them coming. One minute everything was fine and the next, lives and bodies were shattered.

"They were lucky you two were on call. Will they be okay?"

He nodded and held the door open and gestured back out to the hall. "Holly did her usual miracle work. You know she has a much finer touch than I do. With a bit of luck, they will only have to deal with mental scars without being traumatized by any physical ones. Come on. I want to get the play-by-play from last night."

I rolled my eyes and preceded him out. "Jeeze, I'm still not sure if you did me a favor or not."

"Hmm?" he asked with one eyebrow quirked in surprise. "Tell me more"

"Get me some coffee and I'll tell you the whole sordid tale."

-----

Ten minutes later we were sitting in his office, which was about half again bigger than mine, as he no doubt deserved. He was the boss, after all. I sipped my hot coffee and stretched my back in the comfortable chair.

"Sordid, eh?" he asked with a chuckle. "What set off the renowned flame-thrower?"

"I didn't flame anyone last night," I said defensively. "He fell victim to his ex-girlfriend. Well, she and I did have words first, but I don't think that had anything to do with it."

"He?" Danny prompted. "This sounds interesting. Did you meet a nice young man that struck your fancy?" he asked with a mischievous grin.

"No," I said, exasperated. "He was quite forward and, frankly, it unsettled me a bit." Okay, I'd admit to myself, it unsettled me a lot, but Danny didn't have to know that. "Why is it that anytime you hear about me and some guy it has to be attraction?"

"Hope springs eternal, my dear," he said honestly. "I keep dreaming you'll meet someone like I met Holly. In any case, tell me all about the evening."

"How the hell could Holly marry you, anyway? You're incorrigible and she got stuck with a name like Holly Hammerstein."

"You're stalling," he said with a smile. "How was the show?"

I shrugged and gave up. "The crowd was good, the paintings were fabulous and the artist was dark and scary." My insides got all warm just thinking about how dark and scary.

"Tell me about this young man."

With a sigh, I set my coffee down on the desk. "I met the artist, Keven Braddock. I think I made an impression, though for the life of me I don't see how it could have been a good one." Then I proceeded to tell him what he said, what little I'd said, and everything that followed.

Danny tilted his chair back and listened in a way that made me adore him. He hung onto every word I said. When I was finished, he sipped his coffee and considered the ceiling for a moment. Then, tilting his chair back down, he looked me straight in the eyes.

"As to why he was attracted to you, Sandy, that's easy. You're a knockout. As for what I think about you, I think you've got it bad." he finally opined.

"What?" I asked in outrage. "I am not. I do not! It was just one of those things. There is no way he was giving me the eye with all those hotter, younger women hanging around waiting to be a model for him." I shoved away the fact that he had asked me to model before I started wondering what he wanted me to model for or what kind of outfit would be involved, if any. "It doesn't matter, anyway," I continued. "I'll never see him again, and that's probably best. Bad boys are much more trouble that they're worth."

"I wouldn't be so quick to say you'll never see him again," Danny said, looking at his watch. "I expect him along any minute to go out to lunch with me. Trina's going to send him right back."

I sat upright and squeaked. God, I hated making that noise. "No! You're yanking my chain!" Crap. If I could hear the tremor in my voice, so could he. Why the hell did that artist, okay, that dark, handsome artist, make me so nervous?

"Nope," Danny said with that shit-eating grin. "I actually expected him a few minutes ago, so he's late."

Shooting Danny a look that was part panic and part pure pissed off female, I lunged out of the chair and made a bee-line to the door. There was no way I was going to be caught in here after last night and have to explain why I ran off, especially not when I wasn't even sure why I had.

As I reached for the door, someone knocked and I froze. Looking around like a deer caught in the headlights, I prepared to run for the windows.

"Come in," Danny said loudly. The rat bastard!

12