Pledges Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Evening," Kara corrected.

A confused look spread across Mickie's face. "Huh?"

"It's already Wednesday evening." Kara pointed to the clock on the wall. "See, it's only seven o'clock. It's not quite nighttime yet. So we have plenty of time."

Mickie's jaw tightened. "Now ain't the time, Kara. I'm serious!"

"Ladies, please!" Roxie exclaimed as she opened up the binder and studied the first page. Then she lowered her voice. "Okay, Nadia, you're first. Your mom's a building inspector with the City of Richmond. Did you call her about getting the building plans to the Mu Lambda house?"

Kara frowned. "You can just do that? Aren't those records confidential?"

Nadia shook her head. "Here in Virginia, they're public records, so it's okay. Anyway, I called my mom a couple of hours ago and told her I was doing a report on sexism in university building requirements."

Mickie tilted her head. "Huh?"

"I said that I needed the Mu Lambda building plans so I could compare the sorority buildings with the fraternity buildings. I told her that it seemed like the boys always got to construct bigger buildings than the girls."

Kara chuckled. "Nice!"

"Yeah," Nadia said. "She's a former Black Panther, but she was also in the National Organization of Women, so she gets off on stuff like that. She was so furious that she's gonna make me a copy of the plans by tomorrow lunchtime!"

"Great," Roxie said as she crossed that item off her list. "But tell her to make you two copies. One for you keep so you can study it, and one to give to me so that the rest of us can have one to look at."

Nadia nodded. "Got it."

Roxie went back to her notes. "Next up is me. I'm in charge of distracting the security guard that's posted outside the House."

"How are you going to do that?" Kara asked.

"I can't say for sure, but I'm thinking it'll involve a trip to Frederick's of Hollywood in the mall. Anybody wanna go?"

Nadia giggled. "I ain't gonna miss that one! Count me in!"

Roxie grinned as she checked her notes again. "Okay, Kara? You're next. Like I said earlier, since your parents own a security company, you have to get us either into the front door or into the safe in Jade's bedroom. Or in the safe that's in Mu Lambda's basement. Or all three. Have you decided which one?"

Kara nodded. "I'll take the safes."

Roxie jotted it down. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah. I'm pretty rusty on door locks and alarm systems, but I can handle a safe. Any safe, really. See, I've been messing around with safes since I was a kid."

"Really?" Roxie asked.

"Yeah. My folks have owned their company since before I was born. In fact, when I was little, I was in the company's warehouse and I once crawled in a safe and almost locked my damn self in it! So after that, my dad taught me everything there is to know about them."

"Damn!" Nadia said. "That's something helpful to know!"

"I know, right," Kara said, laughing. "So safes are nothing new to me. But just to be sure, I went to their office and picked up a bunch of their company papers and governmental essays about safecracking. I've been brushing up on them, so I'm confident that I can get in." Then she paused. "But there is one thing, though."

Roxie looked up from her notes. "What's that?"

"I'd be really helpful if I knew in advance what kind of safes Jade and them have," Kara said. "So somehow, we need to get into the Mu Lambda House and see what model number they are."

Roxie thought for a minute. "Okay. Just leave it to me," she said. "I have the perfect plan."

Then Roxie looked back at her notes. "Anyway," she continued, "now on to you, Mickie. Since Kara took the safes, you have to get us inside the House. Now, we know that your dad's a locksmith. But it'll be just our luck that Mu Lambda has a complex security alarm system out there. So are you confident you can get us in?"

"No."

Roxie looked up. "No, what?"

Mickie crossed her arms. "I can't do this."

Roxie's eyes widened. "What?"

"I'm not doing it."

All at once, Kara, Nadia and Roxie exploded:

"You've got to be kidding!"

"Why not?"

"I will beat the hell out of you if you don't help us!"

Mickie stood her ground. "I'm not gonna be a part of this because I'm not a thief."

"We're not thieves!" Roxie cried. "We're...we're treasure hunters. Bounty hunters, if you will!"

Nadia shook her head. "You are so lame!"

Kara spoke up. "Hey Roxie, what's up with your roommate? She's had a pissy attitude from the very beginning, and now she's too good to help us?"

Nadia nodded. "Yeah, Mickie. You don't seem to be into the sorority at all, now that I think about it. In fact, you've been pretty sullen since we started this whole thing."

"Actually," Roxie admitted as she stared at Mickie, "you've been a pretty sullen person in general. Since you first moved into the dorms at the beginning of the semester. So what gives?"

Mickie was silent.

Roxie softened her voice. "Come on, Mickie. Something's been going on. We're your sisters now, so just tell us what's up."

Mickie shrugged. "It's my dad."

"And?" Roxie asked.

She took a long pause. "He's not a locksmith."

"He's not?"

"Well, maybe he is, I guess. Actually, he's in jail."

"Huh?"

Mickie took a deep breath. "My father's in jail for burglary. My mom ran off when I was a kid, so I don't know anything about her. But yeah, my dad's locked up. Been so for a while."

Kara snapped her fingers. "So that's why you were so evasive about your family."

Mickie tilted her head. "When?"

"Weeks ago, at the expensive dinner the sorority had for us at the Crystal Rose restaurant. I remember when Sierra, Lina and Tamryn were asking us about our families and backgrounds. You told us that your dad was a locksmith, but you didn't say anything else. You were so quick to give me my turn to speak, that I thought something was wrong. I just never really put it together."

Mickie shrugged. "Whatever. Anyway, I can't help you."

Nadia's voice was loud. "You have to help us! You have to help us because this isn't about you. Or us, even. It's about helping a group of girls that helped us. They welcomed us. Took us in. And now they're going to be screwed due to that crazy-ass Jade!"

"I don't give a damn what you need! I'm not going to end up like my father," Mickie said as she jumped out of her seat and headed out the front door. "So you all can just forget it!"

She slammed the door shut as the three remaining girls just stared at each other.

~~~

The moon was high over the Rho Sigma Tau rooftop terrace. Sierra basked in its rays as she now lay on one of the brand-new chaise lounges that Jana had delivered just an hour ago.

The sorority's weekend caterer and fellow Soror, Miss Mona was particularly impressed with the new pledges and wasted no time in letting Jana, the alumni president, know of her approval. In response, Jana sent over the new furniture as a gift. Little did she know, however, how bad things had gotten.

Sierra had her sorority pledge notes on her lap, but she was unable to concentrate from thinking about the incriminating videotape that Jade now had in her possession.

"I still can't get over what Tam did," Sierra said to herself, tossing the stack of notes onto the table next to her. "That bitch almost cost us everything."

Just then, Sierra heard a voice behind her.

"I agree that one of us cost us everything. But I'm not talking about Tamryn. I'm talking about you."

Sierra looked up to see Lina walk over. She held her breath, unable to speak.

Lina, however, didn't miss a beat. "Rumor has it that you delivered a dismissal memo to Tamryn. And without talking to the rest of us?"

Sierra took a deep breath as she stood and faced Lina. "Yes, I went ahead and wrote it," she said slowly. "But I hadn't planned on giving it to her or to Jana without running it by all of you first."

Lina pursed her lips. "That's not what I heard."

Sierra looked away, sheepishly.

Lina was adamant. "So what's really going on, Sierra?"

Sierra shrugged. "All right. I did the memo. And I gave it to Tamryn and I'd planned on turning it in to Jana, but Angela stopped me."

"Okay. So why did you draft the memo in the first place? Were you that pissed off?"

"I got to thinking: If I don't do something, all of us could be in jeopardy," Sierra said.

Lina put her hands on her hips and was silent for a moment. She spoke. "I wish you'd just admit it."

"Admit what?"

"That ever since the elections earlier this year, you've had it in for Tamryn. You try to act all nice and shit, like you're above us. Like you're so all together. But you're a fucking phony."

Sierra was silent. Lina didn't normally curse like that.

"Mmm hmm. I thought so." Lina continued. "You know, even though you beat Tamryn in the voting, I'd wondered if you were upset that she even tried to challenge your run for the presidency. But I said 'No, Sierra's not like that. Sierra's better than that.' Guess I was wrong." She leveled Sierra with a steely gaze. "Maybe you were just waiting for an opportunity to screw her and take her down."

Sierra was taken aback. "Lina, I'm not trying to screw her! And I'm not trying to get even. But she jeopardized our entire organization. What was I supposed to do?"

"It's not about what you were supposed to do. It's about what you did. You acted alone. Again. And as much as she gets on our nerves, she's still a Sister. And people make mistakes."

"And she made a helluva one. So if it's up to me, she's out," Sierra said, her jaw tight. "And it wasn't a hard decision to make."

"And here we go again." Lina threw up her hands. "Queen Sierra!" she spat. "Give me a fucking break!"

Sierra's eyes grew wide. "Lina--"

"Save it," Lina said as she turned on her heel. "I thought you were different, but I guess I was wrong."

Sierra collapsed on the chaise lounge and watched Lina storm off.

~~~

Thursday

~~~

Early that morning, Roxie left her doom room in Bradley Hall and took sure, quick steps until she reached the Hanover townhouses on the other side of campus. Going to the end unit, Roxie rang the doorbell.

A moment later, a sultry voice called out over the intercom. "Yeah?"

"It's me, Roxie. Open up."

When the door opened, standing in the doorway was a slender young woman with a bright, pretty smile and a smooth, bronze complexion. Soft, dark curls grazed her shoulders and she wore cream-colored satin bathrobe tied tightly around her lean waist.

"Hey, babycakes," the woman said, her brown eyes sparkling. "Come on in."

Roxie entered and immediately gave her a big hug. "Thanks for meeting me, Janelle. I know I was a little vague earlier."

Janelle Crawford gave a hearty laugh. "Ya don't say," she said. "Actually, you were secretive as hell!" She motioned for Roxie to take a seat in the living room. "And you know that our Spanish class is hard enough without you sending me text messages all during class."

Roxie blushed. "Sorry."

Janelle settled on her sofa across from her. "Don't sweat it. I'm just teasing. Now what was so urgent that you had to disturb my morning with Tyra Banks on the DVR?"

Roxie smiled. "You love America's Next Top Model reruns, don't you?"

It was Janelle's turn to blush. "Pretty girls with long legs and skimpy clothes? Mmmmm." She laughed again.

"Well," Roxie began, "speaking of models, I have a job for you. I need you to get some information for me."

Janelle crossed her legs, and her satin bathrobe opened and exposed the rich, creamy bronze skin up to her thighs. "Sure. Whatcha need?"

Roxie chose the direct approach. "I need you to get information about a security system on a building's front door. And the make and model of an upstairs bedroom combination safe. And a safe in the basement."

Janelle laughed. "Tha fuck?"

"No really."

Janelle shook her head. "Do I look like a spy to you? Do I look like Halle Berry? That Jinx chick she played in that James Bond movie?"

"Come on, Janelle, I'm serious." Then Roxie looked at her curiously. "But about that Halle Berry crack? Actually, I do need someone that looks like you. You know, gorgeous. And you know you can get anything you want, out of anyone you want."

Janelle puffed up her chest. "Yeah, I can." Then she leaned in. "All right, fine. Who's the target?"

Roxie took a deep breath. "Jade."

"Who the hell is Jade?"

"Jade Cross."

"Who?"

"You know Jade Cross! Hardass Jade Cross!"

"Oh my God! The sorority bitch? That bitch?" Janelle cracked up. "Oh, hell no! No way!"

Roxie began to panic, but tried to keep calm. "Oh come on, Janelle. I really need your help."

"And I'd love to help you. But this is major, honey!" She was silent, but her leg started tapping up and down. "And the tripped-out part is that Jade is cute as hell. A real brown-skinned slim goodie. So she's definitely doable. But she's got that bitch role on lock, and I just don't need that aggravation." Janelle sat back in her chair and folded her arms.

Roxie was pleading now. "I wouldn't ask you if I really didn't need it. And I just need you to get something simple. And it'll be a piece of cake. And I'll owe you big time. Like...like Spanish tutoring for the rest of the year."

Janelle laughed. "You're going to tutor me? Hell, you're as bad as I am!"

"Okay," Roxie conceded. "You got me. Anyway, just name your price. But I really need you to do this for me. Please? Pretty please? With sugar on top? And whipped cream? And a cherry?"

Finally, Janelle caved in. "Fine. When do you need this info?"

Roxie shifted uncomfortably. "I'm thinking...later on tonight."

Janelle's eyes grew wide. "Tha fuck?"

"Well, I need it by tomorrow. So I need you to do this today. By tonight."

Janelle let several long, tense moments pass before she spoke. "What I need is for you to level with me," she said, her voice solemn. "Tell me what this is all about, Roxie. Just tell me the truth."

Roxie hesitated. "Well...All right. Here's the truth. Jade's got a videotape in her safe that can be used for blackmail. And if I don't do something about it, she could possibly use it to ruin some really great people."

"Damn." Janelle sighed. "I can't stand that bitch, so I'll help you. But one thing: What's in it for me?"

Roxie gave her a questioning look.

Janelle uncrossed her legs and moved closer to Roxie's chair. Barefoot, she used her manicured toes to tickle Roxie's leg. "Just a minute ago, you were talking about sugar and whipped cream and cherries. So what do I get out of the deal?"

Roxie's voice was low. "You know I'm with Mickie."

Janelle scoffed. "You still into that tomboy? You like that?"

"Mickie's my heart. And you know that. You've known that since the first day of Spanish."

"Yeah. I caught y'all holding hands while walking up to class, so whatever." Janelle reluctantly pulled her leg away. "All right. So tell me again what you need."

"It's simple. I need you to get information about the Mu Lambda sorority house. You need to get the make and model of the security system right outside the front door. And when you get to Jade's room, I need you to find out the make and model of the safe in her bedroom. And there's a safe in the basement. Find out about that one too. And see if you can confirm that they'll actually be gone on Friday."

"Okay, the Friday part I can handle. But how am I supposed to get her to tell me about the safes? And how do I get up to her room? And into the basement?"

Roxie was prepared. "I do have an idea, but I'm not sure it'll work. But in any event, just use your feminine charms. And tell her anything you have to. Make up something, even. But make sure you get the front door's security system. And make sure that you find out about those safes so we can get that tape!"

~~~

Later that morning, back in the Rho Sigma Tau sorority house, Candace mulled on her conversation with Brandi. She was now sure that everything that Brandi had said about her was right.

"I've got to get the girls back together," she said. "And hopefully, I know how to do it, and I can it that done soon."

Her plan was simple: to talk to Sierra and Lina and get them on the same page. With the two top officers in agreement, everyone else in the sorority, Tamryn included, would follow their lead. She reviewed what she was going to say for a few moments, when all of a sudden, the aroma of buttermilk pancakes wafted into her room.

Suddenly hungry, she went down to the kitchen and ran right smack into Sierra. Standing at the marble island in the middle of the kitchen, Sierra was piling fresh fruit on her plate from the daily breakfast buffet Miss Mona's caterers had set up there.

Here's my chance, Candace thought. She cleared her throat. "Hey Sierra, got a minute?"

"Not now," Sierra said, brushing right past her to grab a glass of juice from the side counter. "Maybe tomorrow." Breakfast in hand, she strode out of the room.

Candace sighed. "This is going to be harder than I thought."

~~~

An hour later, Miko stood at the door to Tamryn's room. She took a deep breath and knocked softly.

Tamryn opened the door slowly. Before Miko could say anything, apologies spilled out of Tamryn's mouth. "I'm sorry! I'm so, so sorry!"

"Wow," Miko said. "I've never seen you like this. What's up, Tam?"

"I've been holed up here for days, just trying to get my head together. But I know now. I know I've messed everything up. And I'm sorry! I'm so very sorry! I didn't mean to get you all in trouble!"

Miko cracked a smile. "I know. You're a lot of things, but you're not trying to jeopardize our sorority."

"I'm not! I'm really not!" Tamryn wiped her eyes. "It's just that...that...I'm so pissed at my mother! She's run my life ever since I can remember.

"Judge DuMouchelle? Really?"

Tamryn nodded. "I finally realized it. Now I know that's not an excuse, but that is the reason I'm so mean. I'm just pissed at my shitty childhood. But I'll change. I promise I will." Her voice raised an octave. "Just don't kick me out! Please don't kick me out of Rho Sigma Tau!"

Miko was taken aback. She was so used to the bad-assed Tamryn that the meek, apologetic woman in front of her was nearly unrecognizable. Miko softened. "It's okay, Tam. Especially now since you've apologized. Now just go and apologize to everyone else."

"I will. I promise!" Tamryn paused. "You know, you're the first person to even come up here to see how I was doing."

"Really?"

"Yeah," Tamryn said. "Even Sierra just shoved the memo underneath the door. She didn't even knock."

Miko leaned against the doorjamb. "Well, a lot of folks are mad at you. And for good reason." Then she sighed. "But you're still our Sister. And we still have to be concerned about what happens to you. So...so I'll talk to everyone."

Tamryn smiled. "You will?"

Miko smiled. "I'll put in a good word for you. And we'll just see what happens."

"Thanks. I mean it. Thanks!"

Suddenly Miko leaned in close. "By the way, I know you like Kara," she whispered. "But just keep your distance for now. We can't have a repeat of your...extracurricular activities."

Tamryn winced. Miko's words were harsh, but true.

"Of course," Tamryn sighed. "I'll keep my distance."

"Good." She reached for Tamryn's hand. "Now, let's try to get everything back to normal, huh?"

~~~

Just after noon, Janelle sat in Jade's bedroom, on the edge of her bed, wondering what the hell she was doing there. Getting the front door information was easy enough since the security company's label was right on the front of the display. But getting into Jade's room proved to be a bit harder.

Urged on by Roxie, she'd called Jade and made up a story about having an interest in pledging Mu Lambda, which she most certainly did not, and that she'd do anything to get in, which she most certainly would not.