Point Hollow Ch. 02

Story Info
Some missing students found; tension mounts between forces.
11.3k words
4.81
10.9k
5

Part 2 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 08/10/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The chronological order of my stories is now listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

This story is dedicated to the memory of Dame Agatha Christie, and is partially inspired by her Poirot novel 'The Hollow'.

Part 9 - Turf Wars

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted Bettina from in front of the State Office Building in Courthouse Square at 7:00am, Friday, April 29th. "Channel Two News has learned that two of the six missing students have been found! They are identified as Annemarie Reynolds and Sherry Kim, both University students. They were found by the FBI yesterday, and they are in the Intensive Care Unit at University Hospital with serious injuries. Neither the FBI nor TCPD would give a statement on those injuries nor what happened to the women, only that they were found several miles north of the State Line. The other four students are still missing."

"In other headline news, the SBI Narcotics Task Force arrested several members of the 8th Street Gang in the City!" Bettina said. "The large bust of drugs and cash was made by NTF Director Richard Ferrell and his highly trained, professional agents. In a statement, NTF Director Ferrell gave credit to SBI Agent Leonard 'Sergeant' Sharples for his excellent leadership and work in bringing down the gang, as well as two at-large fugitives that were conducting a drug operation with the gang. Those two men are being returned to State Prison."

Bettina went on: "City officials have exploded in anger, as the State Constitution and many laws give them exclusive jurisdiction over the City's territory. Mayor Lucian Phelps has already directed the City Attorney to sue the SBI as well as to obtain warrants for the arrest of Agents Ferrell and Sharples."

"In a related story," Bettina said, "SBI Director Jack Lewis, who is running for Governor, gave a speech yesterday in Midtown. He reiterated his earlier comments that the SBI Narcotics Task Force has jurisdiction over all of the State, including the City, and that all local law enforcement entities are required to work with the NTF or get out of their way. Director Lewis said that the State is sovereign, not County Sheriffs, and that he, Director Lewis, would be enforcing the authority of the NTF more and more going forward."

"Reached for comment, Director Lewis issued a statement earlier this morning praising his NTF team, and he also said the SBI will be continuing its drug interdiction work as well as flexing its muscle and its authority over other counties in the State."

"Asked for a comment, Governor Val Jared's campaign office issued a statement saying that if the SBI murdered any more U.S. Marines or innocent, law-abiding citizens, then Lewis himself would be held legally responsible."

As we watched in MCD, I could see what was going on. I called Cindy to my office and told her to make certain preparations...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Sir, the Media is setting up in the front yard." the Duty Desk Sergeant called in to me at 7:45am. "KSTD, KXTC, KSB, KCTY... all setting up mobile feeds." I thanked him and told him to expect visitors.

Right at 8:00am, SBI-NTF Director Richard 'Dick' Ferrell strode up the front steps of Town & County Police Headquarters. Behind him was SBI Agent Leonard 'Sergeant' Sharples and eight armed and armored SBI 'SWAT'-style agents. As he came to the front door, he had a smirk on his face that was about to become a grin.

He entered the lobby with his gang and strode up to the Duty Desk. "This is a warrant for the SBI to take control of all drug evidence collected at the Point Hollow property. Bring me that evidence right now." The armored SBI Agents were tense, their guns pointed at the floor but ready to swing into action.

"I'll have to notify my superiors of this." said the Duty Desk Sergeant. He suddenly found Ferrell's gun pointed right at his head.

"I said bring me that evidence NOW, you fucking shit eater!" Ferrell snarled. "Send that punk next to you and get it, or I'll haul your ass into jail for disobeying SBI orders!

The Duty Desk Sergeant responded by whipping out his gun and levelling it between Ferrell's eyes. "You don't give me orders, shithead." the Sergeant said. Only now did Ferrell see that the man had his armored vest on under his shirt... as did the other Duty Desk Officer, who had also drawn his weapon. Tension mounted in the room... and then went sky-high.

The TCPD's eight-man SWAT team poured out of Interrogation-A, the hallway to the Press Room, and the hallway leading to Booking. Their arms were pointed at the SBI team... and the TCPD guys the tactical advantage. Sixteen more TCPD officers, heavily armored, also poured into the hall, guns at the ready to exterminate SBI pestilence.

And then it suddenly grew silent. From Interrogation-A strode a tall, broad-shouldered redheaded man, armor on under his shirt and over the shirt but under his trenchcoat. And that was not a red crowbar he was holding... it was a shotgun.

I strode silently up to the Duty Desk. Ferrell turned to me and thrust the warrant at me, hitting me in the chest. "This is a warrant, you fucking cocksucker. The law is on my side here. You follow this warrant, or my men will shoot every one of your officers dead to get that evidence.

Haaawwwwwwwwwwwk! came the loud sound from my throat. Everyone watched.

Ptui. My spittle hit Ferrell right in the face. The SBI agents raised their guns, but found my team's guns in their earholes.

"We're not leaving," said Ferrell, wiping my spit off the bridge of his nose, "until we have that drug evidence. The Media is outside, watching us. You'll have to murder us to get us out of here."

"That can be arranged." I said, speaking for the first time, and quietly. "Gentlemen, get ready to shoot to kill every SBI Agent in this building, except the Reservists, of course. One... two..."

"Hold on, hold on." said a voice. It was Sheriff Daniel Allgood, right on cue. "ADA Patterson, will you serve the papers, please."

"Yes, Sheriff." said Paulina, who then raised her voice and said: "The SBI warrant was illegally obtained, and outside this jurisdiction. Judge Folsom has issued an order canceling it."

"And Judge Leahy reinstated it on appeal, you nigger bitch." snarled Ferrell.

"Don't kill him, Mr. Crowbar." begged Chief Moynahan, who had come up with the Sheriff and Paulina. I had thrust my shotgun under Ferrell's chin at what he'd called Paulina. And yes, I was about to pull the trigger... I was still considering it, too, yes I was...

"And then," Paulina said, "the FBI went to Federal Court, claiming jurisdiction because of the kidnapped students and crossing State Lines. The Federal Judge has granted the FBI's writ, and it's their jurisdiction, not the SBI's. You have no standing, Ferrell... or should I say 'Cracker' Ferrell. Here's your 'cease and desist' order."

The writ was passed up to the Duty Desk Sergeant, then to me. I thrust it at Ferrell, hitting him in the chest with it. Hard.

"Sergeant Hewitt," said Chief Moynahan to the SWAT Team leader, "get these pieces of SBI dog excrement out of my Police Station. Crowbar, my office please... after a medicinal cup of coffee, of course.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Your officers love the bravado." said Moynahan as Daniel and I sat in the chairs in front of his desk. "I just hope you don't get someone killed, Mr. Crowbar. Especially yourself."

"A Marine has already been murdered by the SBI, Chief." I said. "And that was their mistake while trying to murder Chief Griswold. The SBI has drawn blood, they're on the wrong side of the law, and this power play by Jack Lewis and Dick Ferrell are what's going to get people killed. If I ever see Ferrell again in this County, he's a dead man, and it will be by my hand. If you want my badge, sir, I'll hand it to you now. But I'm not tolerating those bastards anymore."

"I understand." said the Chief. "But their killing that Marine, and you pursuing them like the pitbull you are for that crime... that's about the only thing keeping the Media from waging war against you. They hate your guts, Mr. Crowbar, and they are looking to take you down. One of these days, they're going to take Ferrell's side... just because he's wrong and they like taking the wrong side at all times."

"Has anyone called the Governor about this?"

"Yes." said a voice. It was Chief Griswold coming into the office that was once his. "I told him the whole story, at least what I got from Captain Ross and the Duty Desk Sergeant. Jared is livid, about this, and about the City incident last night."

"What happened last night?" asked Daniel.

I said "The SBI made a raid on a drug gang in the City... where the SBI is not supposed to go. The State Constitution and many laws give the City semi-sovereignty over things like law enforcement; they're almost like their own State over there. But what's worse is that when they arrested the gang, Ferrell made a point to expose an undercover City Police officer, yelled the man's name to the gang, told them the man had a wife and daughter."

"Jesus Christ." muttered Moynahan.

"The FBI and Federal Marshals have taken the exposed City cop and his family into Witness Protection." I said. "And that exposure alone is enough to kill Ferrell. I should've pulled the trigger when I had the chance." I was angry that I'd let that opportunity slip away.

"No, you should not have." said Chief Griswold. "You have a much bigger, more evil man to put down first. And then you can clean up the trash."

"Now Grizz, don't go giving the man ideas." said Moynahan.

"Sean, Jack Lewis and those bastards meant to kill me." Griswold said. "I'm not forgetting that... nor forgiving it."

"Gentlemen," said Sheriff Allgood. "I know emotions are running high right now. But we've got to scale this back. The Council, or half of it, are going to be all over Don for this. Thomas Cook got exposed for that contract situation, and he's already gotten word that Police Department assets gave John Colby the information. Cook is filing an ethics complaint with the State over Colby not charging for some of your success parties at his restaurant."

Allgood continued: "Cook is out for blood, your blood, Don, and he's going to make as much of a stink as possible. The Press, especially KSTD after you banned them from Headquarters, is eager to pick up the chant against you. I want you to take down the bad guys, Don, but you've got too much incoming fire, and it's going to interfere with your mission and the Police Force's mission."

Chief Griswold said "And the Governor can only do so much, now that he's running against Lewis. The Democrats in the Legislature have threatened to impeach Jared if he suspends Lewis, and it would be bad politically, anyway."

"So, Don," said Daniel, "We've got to calm the waters. And to do that, we've got to get you out of the hole that's just been dug for you. And when you 're in a hole, stop digging."

"All, right, I'll get the SBI thing calmed down, at least the part here. I get the feeling the Media will be happily reporting what is about to happen in the City, anyway. Would you please excuse me?"

"By all means." said Moynahan.

As I left the anteroom and went into the hall, Cindy came out of MCD, obviously having been waiting for me. "So, what's the story?"

"First," I said, "I have to put out a fire. Come on in and watch."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 10:00am, SBI Inspector Britt Maxwell appeared at the podium of her Press Office in Westphalia. "I have a brief announcement to make, and will be taking no questions afterward. Last night, the SBI's Narcotics Task Force violated the State Constitution and numerous laws by entering the jurisdiction of the City without authorization and making a drug interdiction. They were not working with City Law Enforcement, nor the FBI, nor did they have the City's permission or consent to operate within the City's jurisdiction as required."

"As a result," Britt continued, "I have suspended NTF Director Richard Ferrell, without pay, pending a full investigation of his illegal actions. I have asked the FBI to participate in this investigation as part of their overall investigation into SBI corruption. I am also investigating the allegations that Agent Ferrell intentionally exposed a City Police Officer as an undercover agent, which has threatened the lives of the Officer and his family. The City Attorney has issued an arrest warrant for Ferrell in connection with that exposure."

"Furthermore," said Inspector Maxwell, "the State Narcotics Task Force is suspended, per a 'cease and desist' order by State Superior Court Judge Rodney K. Watts. SBI Agents assigned to the NTF are to be reassigned to other positions and assignments in the SBI for now. That is all."

With that, Inspector Maxwell walked off the stage and out of the room, declining to answer the screams of "Did Governor Jared put you up to this?" by the rabid reporters.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I was talking to my wife Laura as I treated her to lunch at the Cattleman's Club. A good lunch at this really good restaurant with the most beautiful woman in the world (in my considered opinion) was what I needed to lift my spirits.

"So," I said as we waited for our food orders to arrive, "tell me about Dr. Mickelson and Dr. Ellman."

Laura replied "Well, when Dr. Mickelson was much younger, he published a breakthrough paper on human and animal genetic strains over the course of centuries. Then he published a few papers on the effects of nuclear and other radiation upon genetics, though they were mostly follow-ons to earlier work. He was hired into the Gregor Mendel Chair for that, but Biology is one of the more lagging fields at the University; most pre-med students go into Chemistry now."

"Anyway," Laura continued, "he's done all right, but the past couple of years he's been applying for grants for strange stuff, such as crop circles, cattle mutations, all that stuff concerning aliens. He's gotten some small grants for radiation effects on soils and crops, but not a whole lot."

"As to Ben Ellman," said Laura, "he's struggling to get a professorship. There have been some rumors of scandal, involving trading sex for good grades. None of the women have ever turned on him, but one girl had to plead the Fifth in order to not be compelled to testify when he was under investigation at one of the Schools in North Carolina."

"So why even hire him?" I asked.

"I don't run the Biology Department, Darling." Laura said. "But he's being watched, and there's been no hint of scandal while he's been here. He's probably as decent a Basic Biology teacher as anyone, so all's well and good... except that the door to a professorship isn't opening for him..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"It would be a very, very good idea if you are not seen in the City again." said Jack Lewis to Dick Ferrell. "The SBI won't honor the City's warrant for your arrest, and we're saying you're indemnified by State Law. We're working to get a judge to slap the City back, and hard, but if you're seen up there, they'll put you in jail and light your ass on fire."

"Yes sir." said Ferrell. "What about Inspector Bitch, though? Right now I'm out of work."

"The Union is grieving your suspension." said Lewis. "We're going to use that to at least get you half-pay. So don't sweat that. By the way, I heard the Iron Crowbar spit in your face. Now that is going around, and it's going to hurt your reputation. As bad if not worse than that time Muscone beat the shit out of you."

"What am I supposed to do about that?" snarled Ferrell. "I would've shot the bastard, but then all of my men would've been wiped out in there."

"Yes, they would've." said Lewis. "But I'd suggest you do something about that, do something to restore your reputation." Ferrell just nodded. Lewis was pleased at the spark of hatred he saw in the other man's eyes. "Okay, go home, get some rest. I'll update you on the situation in a few days."

As Ferrell left, he saw Sergeant Sharples in the hallway.

"How bad is it, sir?" asked Sharples.

"It's bad." said Ferrell. "Sharples, the time for games is over. The Iron Crowbar is responsible for what has happened to us." He leaned close to Sharples and whispered "Do him in."

Sharples nodded and gave a thumbs-up sign. He would get the job done.

Part 10 - Twists And Turns

"Well, if they don't find the other four soon," I said, "they'll be dead of dehydration and exposure... if they're not dead already."

We were meeting in the main Conference Room. Present were: Sheriff Allgood, Chief Moynahan, myself, Commander Harlow, Captain Ross, and Lieutenants Croyle and Masters. It was 1:30pm, Friday, April 29th.

"Do we have anything new?" asked the Sheriff.

"Yes sir." said Wes 'Coldiron' Masters. "The DNA tests came back, confirming all the identities from samples in the sleeping bags and Ms. Reynolds's blue panties. I also managed to get some information on the place two of them were found, though the FBI tried hard to keep it back. The vomit and blood was Danny Cantrell's. No DNA from the other three: Slake, Jenkins and Stone... well, let me rephrase that... it's likely Stone's semen was one of several workups found in the rape kits of Reynolds and Kim, but no other outward DNA signs. The FBI also doesn't know if those three were even at that cabin. And no further sign of Cantrell, either."

"The doctors brought Annemarie and Sherry out of sedation." I said. "They both had bad reactions. Annemarie calmed down, but Sherry was screaming and fighting to get out of the bed, and they had to sedate her again. Annemarie couldn't remember anything, but was also agitated, so they mildly sedated her so her body could rest and heal. The doctors will try again over the weekend."

"Let me add this." I said, "Toxicology reports I obtained said that both women were drugged, probably during their ordeal. The drugs were a mixture of muscle relaxers, probably to prevent them from fighting back as they were raped, and also some strong hallucinogens."

"Might be why Sherry was reacting so strongly when she was brought out of sedation." Cindy said. "What about alcohol?"

I brought up the reports on my laptop computer. "Annemarie had a reading of 0.04, not very high. Sherry had no alcohol, according to this report." I said. "And adding to the theme of the FBI's sudden desire to not share stuff with us... all of you obviously know that my Hospital source is my own wife, whose own counsel she keeps on what she tells me. She also said the FBI tried to bully the Hospital staff into silence, and she snapped their heads back on it."

"How could she do that? Especially to the FBI?" asked Lt. Masters. I just smiled.

"She's the wrong person to cross." I said.

"Okay guys," said Sheriff Daniel Allgood, "I want you guys to take this weekend off like you normally would, and get some rest. It's very likely the missing persons are out of our County and State, and it's the FBI's case. So chill out, start working out for the Police Boxing Matches, and whatever else you do to relax."

"If anyone is just starting to work out for the Boxing Matches," Teresa said, "they're going to get destroyed."