Point Hollow Ch. 04

Story Info
Evil forces are unleashed against the Iron Crowbar.
9k words
4.81
10.9k
4

Part 4 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 08/10/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The chronological order of my stories is now listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

This story is dedicated to the memory of Dame Agatha Christie, and is partially inspired by her Poirot novel 'The Hollow'.

Part 19 - Media Relations

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" said the lovely redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Friday, May 6th. "Channel Two News has learned that the suspension of SBI Narcotics Task Force Director Richard Ferrell without pay has been upheld!"

A cheer went up in the MCD room as we listened. Bettina continued: "The grievance filed by the SBI's Union was denied by the Federally appointed arbitrator, who stated that NTF Director Ferrell very likely broke a number of laws in conducting a drug raid within the jurisdiction of the City. The arbiter also made reference to a number of spotty warrants obtained by the SBI for some of their previous raids, the worst case being the raid that led to the death of a U.S. Marine. The SBI and Mr. Ferrell can appeal the ruling in Federal Court, but that will not be heard for some time."

Bettina went on: "The FBI continues to investigate the SBI, though it is believed their findings will not come out for weeks or even months. It is very possible the FBI could release its findings in late October... just in time for the November elections. SBI Director Jack Lewis, who is running for Governor, has demanded the FBI either show cause for their investigation or drop the investigation altogether. And in a stunning development, Director Lewis ordered all SBI Agents to refuse to cooperate with the FBI, at least until the election is over.

"Republicans charge that this is a ploy to keep the FBI report from being released until after the election. They accuse Director Lewis of corruption, and have demanded he resign as SBI Director or face possible impeachment.

"Meanwhile, Governor Val Jared has made reform of the SBI a major plank of his platform." Bettina said. "In a speech yesterday to the State Fraternal Order of Police, Governor Jared stated that the SBI is too corrupt to be allowed to continue unchecked. He is proposing a scaling back of the SBI's assets and ability to run operations without cooperation from local law enforcement authorities. Director Lewis will give a speech to the F.O.P. over the weekend, and they will endorse a candidate next week."

"In local news, the new State Crime Lab is nearing completion." Bettina said. "Some members of the Town & County Council are calling upon the Police Department to scale back its own Crime Lab, and use the State Crime Lab's better facilities. Asked for comment, Lt. Scott Peterson, Public Relations Officer of the TCPD, said that policy procedures would come under review at the appropriate time. And now, let's go to Nick Eastwood for Sports..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

My 'Detective Fiction' meeting did not occur, because at 8:00am I was called into Chief Moynahan's office. When I got there, Deputy Chief Della Harlow was already there. As I sat down at his invitation, I observed that the Chief was as ticked off as I'd ever seen him.

"Commander Troy," said Chief Moynahan with an unusual formality, "are you the source of Lt. Peterson's comment to the Press about procedures coming under review?"

"No sir." I said.

"Neither was Commander Harlow, and certainly I was not the source of that comment. I'm fighting like hell to keep our Crime Lab, and that little twit went and undermined me." said the Chief. "And that's not all: Ms. Harlow, would you tell Mr. Crowbar what you told me, please."

Della half turned to me in her chair and said "Scott Peterson came to me yesterday and said he wanted to reinstate KSTD's credentials. He said he thinks it's his call to make, and mine after that, and that, 'with all due respect', he said, you're not in the chain-of-command to make that call."

"Hmmm, interesting." I said, half-musingly. This apparently was not the expected reaction.

"I expected a stronger reaction than that, Mr. Crowbar." said the Chief.

"Well, he has a point." I said. "Not that I agree with it, but it's a perspective. So, Della, what was your response?"

"I told him that I'd bring it up with the Chief, which I have." Della said. "What I don't want is for you to think I'm going around you on it."

"I appreciate that." I said. "Well, the Chief can override either of us any time he wants to. And if you wanted to reinstate KSTD, I'd have a tough time coming up against that, as I'd expect the Chief to support you on it."

"What would you do if Ms. Harlow did reinstate KSTD, and I refused to get involved?" asked the Chief.

"Sir, you ask hypotheticals like a lawyer." I said, teasing the Chief. "But since every officer except You The Chief is under my command, I would give orders to every officer that if KSTD personnel were seen in Headquarters, any Precinct, or on any grounds owned by Police Department, to arrest those personnel for trespassing and confiscate their equipment. They might make bail on recognizance, but their equipment remains confiscated as 'evidence'. Do that two or three times, and they start having equipment issues, and those cameras run $75,000-$100,000 apiece."

"Wow, you don't play around, do you?" Della said with a grin.

"See, Della," I said, "first of all, KSTD and especially Priya Ajmani have to learn a lesson. The SBI Inspector pulled their credentials just like I did. If someone came into your home, cursed in front of your kids, urinated in your refrigerator, vomited on your floor, then tried to kick your dog, you'd kick that someone out of your home. Well, I'm tired of Priya accusing me of committing crimes and covering up others. She will learn manners, or else."

"In addition," I said, "this is a trump card for us to use with KSTD. At the very least, we should make a deal, and give them their credentials back only if we get something back in return, and something valuable."

"Like positive press coverage." said Della.

"More like specific coverage at a specific time, have them run something specific at a certain time." I said.

"Ah, I like your way of thinking, Mr. Crowbar." said the Chief. "As to what Peterson said about the Crime Lab, completely undermining me and my efforts to fight to keep our Crime Lab... I'll be dealing with that perrrrsonally."

I thought to myself that I'd rather take a crowbar beatdown from Cindy than be Lt. Scott Peterson right now...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I left the door to my office open and the blinds on my windows drawn up so I could see into the hallway. Sure enough, 30 minutes later I saw Lt. Peterson hastily exiting the Chief's suite and walking fast down the hall, his face crimson and his eyes blazing with anger.

I got out my personal cellphone and made a call to Eddie the Bounty Hunter. "Eddy," I said, "I have something I need for you to do..."

Part 20 - The Crime Scene

Saturday, May 7th. The Chief juggled the schedules so that some of us had the early rounds of the Police Boxing Matches. Defending Champion (Freestyle Division) Cindy Ross was, by tradition, the first to go, and she faced off against Corporal Ronnie Kirkpatrick. She did not endure much of his standard Police tactics, and had him yielding in about 20 seconds.

My round was tougher. I had Detective Theo Washington. He actually was not bad with his metal Police baton, and played a decent 'read and react' strategy. I tried not to show too much, and had him subdued about two minutes into the round. Teddy Parker scored a nice win against Patrolman Morton.

We then had to leave the gym because the FBI had finally agreed to take us to the cabin where Annemarie Reynolds and Sherry Kim had been found. Cindy and I dressed in black shirts, khaki pants, black boots (mine were my old Army boots, that I'd worn at Airborne School), and light jackets with "FBI" on the back, as we were consultants. Yes, we had on armor. Teddy and Theo had jackets that said "POLICE".

We... meaning Me, Cindy, Theo, and Teddy... met Jack Muscone, Martin Nash and Sandra Speer at the Mall at the northwest corner of Town, then followed them west, out of the State. We turned on a road north before we got to Hammondsville, and followed this road for a good number of miles. The road went through largely uninhabited areas but was well-paved, well-painted and in good condition. I knew this road would hook up with the main road to Rome and Apple Grove about 20 miles further north.

Then Jack pulled off behind another vehicle that also had Federal Government license plates. Special Agent in Charge Clark Webster and two other FBI Agents were in that vehicle. They were the same Agents that had tried to stop me from interviewing the students in the hospital. They acted as if they'd never seen me before and as if nothing was wrong. 'An unlimited capacity for obedience', as Ayn Rand would describe it (and did, in Atlas Shrugged).

Jack and Sandra were dressed similarly to me, Cindy and my Detectives. Martin Nash had on a gray suit, collared white shirt and bluish tie, looking 'GQ' as always, but at least he had on sensible walking shoes. The two FBI automatons had on suits and shoes that were better for office wear. Oh, well.

As I looked around, I saw a two-track dirt lane going into the woods in a southeast direction. "This is the road to the cabin where we found them." said Clark Webster. "It's a couple of miles walking. There were a lot of tracks on it at the time, boots, shoes, dirt bikes, motorcycles, four-wheelers. Hunters use this trail a lot."

"It's not deer season," said Teddy Parker, "Or else Joanne and the Sheriff's wife would be up here with us right now." Cindy and Theo laughed, and I smiled.

"Feral hogs are year-round, if memory serves me correctly." I said, looking all around the area we'd pulled off and at the entrance to the trail. Webster told his robots to lead the way, and they did... walking right on the paths, and over any tracks that were there. Hoo boy. I asked Cindy to bring up the rear... and to watch her and our backs.

We made our way along the winding trail through mostly pine forest. We crossed the River, which was little more than a wide (but deep) stream, via a wooden bridge, and came upon the Cabin a short distance further. Behind it was a dropoff into a deep gully that led to a canyon that would come out near Reservoir Lake in Nextdoor County if it were followed.

"If someone fell down that at night, they'd break their neck." said Teddy Parker. I was busy shining a light under the crawlspace under the cabin, which was barely a foot off the ground. There was nothing under there, nor any sign anyone had crawled in the dirt of the ground below. Theo and Cindy confirmed my observations.

I think Clark Webster intentionally did not tell us to prepare for what was inside the cabin. Annemarie and Sherry had been tied to their respective beds for two days, and had to do their bodily functions where they were. The small shelter had not been cleaned since, and it had been days. I need not say what it smelled like.

However, I am not an idiot like Steven Ikea. I was prepared, and I passed out face masks to my Officers and myself (my wife works in a hospital; who knew!) and after putting those on we went inside. I went first, looking around from the doorway, then went on inside. I saw the soiled, blood-spattered mattresses, the blood on the floor at the foot of the beds, then the vomit. They'd taken samples, but left the mattresses instead of taking them in as evidence.

"See anything, Commander Troy?" Clark Webster asked, his voice sarcastic. Jack Muscone gave him a sharp look.

"Oh yes, I am seeing a lot." I said. I went back outside, and began walking through the woods in ever-widening circles around the cabin, looking at the ground, the trees, the plants. I took my time doing this; it was important. Clark Webster seemed impatient. His automatons looked disinterested. Martin Nash and Sandra Speer watched me with interest, as did my officers. Jack Muscone was making his own observations around the cabin.

When I returned to the group, Webster said "Did you find anything that would help us find Danny Cantrell?"

I said "There's a trail that generally follows the River, which I would imagine goes back to Point Hollow. If the students walked up here, that's how they got here, but there are no recent markings on the trail. I also saw no markings for 200 feet around the shelter, though I did not go down the cliff or into that canyon below."

"Our guys went down there, and found nothing." said Webster.

"Hmmm, interesting." I said, partly to myself, and partly to the person I was looking at: Cindy Ross. Her eyebrows arched up slightly.

"But to answer your question, Special Agent Webster," I said, "my initial thesis was that Danny might have been disposed of here. But now I think he is nowhere around here."

"So you think he's dead?" asked Webster.

"I'm not saying that, at least not yet." I said. "But he was vomiting blood, which was one thing I've confirmed by coming here; there's blood mixed with that vomit. So he was being beaten, and was coughing up blood and likely vomiting blood, as well. Untended internal injuries... I'm not saying much for his chances."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At the same time, a meeting was occurring in Midtown, at the office of State Senator Richard Langdon... the office where he'd taken a severe crowbar beatdown for trying to make the Iron Crowbar's sister into one of his prostitutes. Bad plan.

"All right, so the SBI is practically shut down." said Langdon. "The NTF is practically destroyed, and Dick Ferrell is hanging on by his fingertips. This is starting to hurt Jack in the polls, too. What do we do?"

"About the SBI, Ferrell, or Jack, here?" asked State Senator Jimmy 'Coffin' Cerone.

"All of the above." said State Senator Katherine Woodburn. Also in the room were Rep. Justin Madoff and SBI Director Jack Lewis. Lewis had snuck into the building for this most unofficial of meetings.

"Seems to me the problem is the State Inspector General." said Justin Madoff. "Maybe we need to take it to the mattresses with her."

"Watch your language." said Jimmy Cerone. He was a real mobster, not some amateur wannabee like Madoff was trying to be with his verbiage. "We don't talk about stuff like that out loud. We don't consider it unless its all out war, and our final option."

"For Dick Ferrell, it's getting to be about final options." said Langdon.

"It's also getting to be all-out war." said Katherine Woodburn. "If we lose the SBI, if we lose State control over the counties, it sets us back immeasurably... not only in this State, but nationwide. You guys all know this. We're at a critical juncture in the country. It's poised for the taking, for the destruction of individual freedom and subservience to the State... but a setback like losing our grip on our State's law enforcement agency..." She did not need to finish the statement. They all understood the stakes.

"I'm not sure what we can do." said Cerone. "I'm going to be a little bit blunt here: Dick Ferrell and his boys have had some major fuck-ups in the last few months. Going into the City was bad, even if the raid was successful. And what in the world was someone thinking, sending a paramilitary death squad into the Iron Crowbar's home turf and killing a United States Marine?"

"They got the wrong house, there." said Jack Lewis, finally speaking. "Yeah, it was bad, but that was an accident. Their only real failure was not hitting the correct target."

"I don't know who the dumbass was that was behind that." said Cerone, peering at Lewis. "If I'd wanted someone dead, I'd have called for a professional hit. Clean, quick, untraceable."

"I just wonder what the Iron Crowbar would've done if the intended target had been hit." said Langdon.

"We wouldn't be having this conversation now." said Cerone. "Most of us in this room now would likely be dead. Griswold is like a second father to the Iron Crowbar, and the the Iron Crowbar does not fool around. He does not play. I don't understand why it is so hard for that lesson to be learned."

"We know, Mr. Cerone." said Katherine Woodburn. "We've been trying to get the Iron Crowbar to cross the line, although not to the level that that SBI raid would've done. He always seems to step back, though... colors just inside the lines, and you can't see where he steps out of bounds, at least not in time."

"Aside from nearly killing Brownlee with his bare hands, where has he stepped over the line?" asked Madoff.

"Oh, I find it interesting," said Katherine Woodburn, "that the organ thief Steven Moschel was reduced to a blubbering mass of absolutely frightened crybaby when the Iron Crowbar simply walked into the room and asked if he was cooperating. And Moschel was found by the Police in an utterly dreadful physical condition. Something happened there."

"This is all very interesting," said Richard Langdon, "but I must ask everyone to not waste the next Governor's valuable time. We need to figure out what to do going forward... and especially what to do to restore the SBI to its full status again, with full sovereignty over every county and the people of this State. How do we get around Maxwell?"

"We can't." said Justin Madoff. "Only the Governor can. And he's corrupt and partisan in his zeal to win the Governorship and destroy the SBI."

"What if we were to force Maxwell's hand?" asked Katherine Woodburn.

"Care to tell us how you would do that, Ms. Woodburn?" asked Jimmy Cerone in his nicest voice.

"Let me paint a picture for you." said Katherine Woodburn. "Inspector Maxwell is presented with irrefutable evidence of the corruption of Commander Donald Troy. She either has to suspend him and investigate him, or her own integrity will come under severe question. Val Jared may be friends with Grandpa Griswold and his little boy the Iron Crowbar, but Jared will be forced to have Maxwell investigate the Iron Crowbar... or his lack of integrity is clearly shown."

"I like what I am hearing." said Cerone, who was the ultimate power in the room, and everyone knew it.

Katherine smiled and continued: "And all this using the raw energy of the most powerful and most unchecked entity in the world... a single-minded Press driving a relentless agenda. The power of the Press is unstoppable. They can destroy anyone at any time, if they have the desire to do so... and when it comes to Commander J. Donald Troy... they have an unappeasable desire to do so."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As we drove back home, I asked my peeps what they thought of that crime scene.

Teddy Parker said "I think I appreciate our Crime Lab people even more than I did before. That was some friggin' sloppy work by the FBI."

"I second those remarks." said Cindy, who was riding shotgun.

"Yeah, they found the people and didn't give much of a shit about the rest of it." I said. "But it's instructive. So, what else did you guys see, or should I say not see?"

"They had to have driven those people to that site." said Theo. "No way they're carrying three or more human bodies deadweight on foot up that trail from Point Hollow."

"Good point." I said.