Politics & Prejudice Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Speaking for the Council, businessman Thomas P. Cook stated that the elderly citizens had no choice, that the property would be sold and the building on it destroyed to make way for new developments. When asked if there would be a fair and aboveboard open bidding process, Mr. Cook smiled brightly and said 'Of course.'."

"How does he know what they're going to do with the property?" Cindy asked, a great deal of sarcasm in her voice. She had spent the night here, on my sofa in my office, but looked a great deal more rested than the day before. I chastised myself for not noticing her fatigue much sooner.

"Oh, he already has the plans drawn for when he buys the property." I said.

"That's just so dirty." said Joanne Cummings. "I saw that special on TV last night. Kicking those poor people out of there, especially the old war veterans, then rigging the process to buy the property... just disgusting."

"Yep." I said. "And if it's a rigged process, I'll be right there... and someone will go to jail, whether he's a Council member or not..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Community Center was crowded at 9:00am. The Senior Citizens were meeting to try to find a way to save their Center.

"What is that smell?" Mrs. Myrtle L. James said to Mrs. Veasley as people gathered.

"I don't know, my friend." said Mrs. Veasley.

"It smells like some kind of insecticide solvent." said Mrs. James. "Maybe they sprayed for bugs yesterday."

"Why bother, if they're going to tear the building down?" replied Mrs. Veasley.

As the meeting progressed, there was a lot of rancor in the room, most of it at Thomas P. Cook. "He's a dirty dealer." shouted Mr. Davis, shaking his fist to the air. "He's using his Council position for his personal gain!" There was much agreement.

"But what can we do about him?" asked one of the old ladies. "He was threatening Mrs. Schoen yesterday; I saw it myself. He means to kick us out, and I think he'd hurt us if he could... physically hurt us."

"We can bid against him." said someone. "We can buy this place ourselves."

"We don't have that kind of money!" shouted someone.

Suddenly, the chatter and voices stopped. Into the room walked Cindy Ross, wearing civilian clothes: a navy blue skirt and jacket, and white blouse with blue stripes running across. Her badge was on her belt, and her gun in a shoulder holster underneath.

With her was the Widow Athena Jones, dressed in her trademark shawl. She stayed near the door as Cindy walked forward to the stage area, which was in the back of the building.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Cindy said, "I want to tell you two things. First, the process will not be rigged. You know who my boss is. The Iron Crowbar is on our side, and he will not brook any criminal actions by Thomas P. Cook. Second, when that open bidding process happens, just remember that we have friends... friends with the resources to help us, to stop Thomas Cook and his plans cold---" She stopped short, looking around and sniffing.

"What's that smell?" she said. As she concentrated, a memory came to her, a memory associated with that smell. Oh my God! she thought to herself in horror.

"Gas leak!" she shouted. "Everyone, please get out, NOW! Go! Let's go! Everyone out! Get away from the building!"

As people left in a quickly but orderly fashion, helped by the Widow Jones, Cindy came up to Mrs. Veasley, who was trying to manually push the wheels of her motorized wheelchair.

"Drive out of here, Mrs. Veasley!" Cindy ordered.

"It might set off a spark, Child." Mrs. Veasley replied.

Cindy leaned over and whispered "It's not gas, it's a bomb. The smell is plastique. Now drive!" Mrs. Veasley drove right on out of there. Cindy was right behind her, the last to leave the building.

Cindy had everyone get clear of the building, with Mrs. Veasley and the Widow Jones helping to get people 300 feet back. Cindy also began blocking traffic as she got out her cellphone to call the Police and Fire Departments. "Don!" she said as the Commander answered. "We've got a problem at the Community Center! It's a---"

*KA-BOOM!*

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Cindy! Cindy!" I called out into my phone. "Oh shit." I muttered as I ran out the door. I ran into MCD.

"Explosion at the Community Center!" I yelled. "Call for the Fire Department and ambulances! Move, people!" As the Detectives scrambled, I ran on out and to my SUV. Just as I reached it, I heard a voice in my phone.

"Don, are you there?"

"Cindy!" I shouted, relief in my voice. "What happened?"

"The Community Center exploded." Cindy said. "No one seriously hurt. Send people to control the scene..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"We are lucky." I stated. "We are exceptionally fortunate." I was at what used to be the front of the Community Center. It was now a pile of rubble.

"It was your Captain that got everyone out in time, Commander." said Mrs. Veasley. "She saved all our lives."

"How did you know, Captain?" I asked.

"She used her mind. She felt it." said Mrs. Veasley.

"Yes, ma'am." I replied to Mrs. Veasley. To Cindy I said "I would like to hear more specifics, though, Captain."

"I'll tell you in private." Cindy whispered. I had her come with me a distance away, near City Hall, as we watched Police Officers securing the scene, Fire Department people checking for fires and gas leaks, the Media trying to get in and being held back, but filming everything.

"Okay." I said. "What happened?"

"Don," Cindy said, "do you remember right before the Cabin was burned down, how we smelled something in your old SUV?"

"Oh my God." I said, understanding.

"Yes." Cindy said. "I smelled that exact same smell, and I knew it was plastique like what exploded in your car that night."

"You remembered." I said. "And acted. Thank God. And thank you."

"Do you think Thomas Cook was behind this?" Cindy asked.

"Depends." I said. "If you think he's the Consultant of Crime, then no doubt about it. It was the Consultant who used that plastique in my car when he burned down my home. It was the Consultant that used explosives to take down the Standard Tools building, almost killing one of my Detectives."

"Whether he is or isn't the Consultant... did he do this to remove the opposition to selling the property?" Cindy persisted.

I looked around. "Where is the Widow Athena Jones?" I asked abruptly. "It's high time I met her."

"Uh, I don't see her anywhere around." Cindy replied truthfully.

"She was here earlier, Commander." said Mrs. Veasley, driving up. "But I do not see her now. I hope she is okay."

"Looks like we were fortunate, Mrs. Veasley." I said. "And thank you for your help getting everyone away from the building."

"You are quite welcome, Commander." said Mrs. Veasley. "And as I am a Nurse, my services are available if they are needed."

"I appreciate that, ma'am. Fortunately, it seems we have no casualties." I said. "Captain Ross, call up the Police Auxiliary to help with crowd control. And you bring Auxiliary Detective Troy to my office immediately."

"Uh... yes sir."

"Do it today, Captain, do it today." I said brusquely as I strode off. Cindy knew what that really meant. She and Mrs. Veasley looked at each other, then went their ways to fulfill their missions.

Part 7 - The Widow Athena Jones

An hour later, Cindy and my mother came into my office, my mom in her Auxiliary uniform, Cindy in her uniform as well.

"Have a seat, ladies." I said. They sat down as I began speaking. "I do not think that bomb was set because of the property dispute. I believe it was an attempt by the Consultant of Crime to kill everyone in the place. He wanted to wipe out as many Senior Citizens as he could."

I continued: "I believe the reason was because the Consultant figured out that the Senior Citizens of this Town & County have been organized into something of a Neighborhood Watch Unit, and they've been watching the Consultant for many months. When they interdicted Thomas P. Cook's assault on Dagmar Schoen, their actions were recognized, and they nearly died for it."

"Sir..." said Cindy, but I held up my hand.

"No." I said, standing up. "I do not want to hear from you right now, Captain Ross." I leaned over my desk, my weight on my arms and hands. "I want to hear this..." I said, my eyes boring into my mother's, "...from the Widow Athena Jones herself...

To be continued.