Prevailing Darkness

Story Info
A change is coming.
941 words
3.84
7.5k
1
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Andis
Andis
1 Followers

This is something I have been pondering for sometime. If there is interest I will continue the story line. I know it is brief, but all good things come in small packages!

I look forward to your feedback

~AndiS~

*

Prologue

I was mesmerized by it. The Full Cold Moon of December was pure white and floated in the sky overlooking the river. It seemed greater than the Earth and everything that it encompassed. Pale reflections in the slow waves moving downstream.

Standing on the balcony, I felt it call me. It had been a long time since I felt the pull of anything. I longed for something always just out of reach. My calling was simple, cleanse the world. My path ever wandering with no end in site. I could no longer recall how it all started and never thought that it could stop.

*

March - New York City - Midnight

I walked the less crowded side streets of the city, head covered by my hooded jacket, trying not to be noticed. I was hopeful my target was near intoxicated at the local dive bar as I stalked closer, thud making my job that much easier. The doorman briefly glanced my way, grunting, before letting me pass. I entered the dimly lit bar, smelling of stale cigarettes and sour beer. I padded across the sticky floor to the main bar and chose a corner stool.

The aged bartender sauntered over slowly, looking peeved at my entrance.

"What will ya have?" he asked.

"Boston Lager, no glass." I ordered. I knew better than to try anything that could make someone ill in this less than clean establishment.

Beer in hand I turned and looked at the sad crowd huddled around their drinks. Most were middle aged males and alone. Somber music played in the background adding to the feeling of loss and despair. In the far corner was a group of three men having a loud conversation and acting carefree. There was my target.

Ben was him name. He appeared lanky and in a drug induced haze, eyes bloodshot and unblinking. From my stool I heard snippets of their conversation as they talked about their next score and wondering where Matt was. Little did they know Matt was not going to make this meeting of the minds.

Ben hit my radar earlier tonight. He was young, dumb, and dangerous, plus he had a small group of followers who were willing to do anything he told them. I stopped one such loyal servant trying to rob a local businessman while on my watch. After a brief interrogation he led me straight to Ben and this hole in the wall bar. So far, an easy night on the town.

2 hours and a few beers later, the group stood and was ready to go their own ways. I threw some cash on the bar and headed out behind them, no one the wiser.

He was easy to track, stumbling down the alley towards the city, alone and unaware. A few blocks down I caught up to him and grabbed his shoulder from behind.

"What the fuck!" he yelled as I turned him to face me. I stood over him looking down at this weak excuse of a human. Ben eyes slowly worked up my frame and he startled at my size. I could smell his fear and it made me smile.

"Get the fuck off me, do you know who I am?" he asked as he tried to back away from my grasp.

"You're not going anywhere, we have business." came out in a deep rolling tone. At this I quickly pulled out my short sword and relieved Ben of his head. A clean kill. I walked away in the night, leaving behind Ben laid out in the alley, with no trace of my existence. I headed in the direction of the other two conspirators who would not live to see the morning. All in all, a typical nights work. Scum off the streets and everyone was happy.

*

Back at my flat the dawn was rising. I stood under the hot spray of the shower cleaning the stench of the bar off of me. My muscles slowly relaxing after the easy kills. Another night and more human filth removed from the planet. My job was never ending and seemed to be getting worse as humanity declined. I would need to leave New York soon thus ending my stint on the east coast. The body count would soon draw unwanted attention which I could not afford.

Clean from my shower I sat down at my desk and opened my laptop. Pulling up the map of the United States I slowly started to research the west coast, somewhere new and hopefully full of promise.

California was an easy target as was Las Vegas, but I would never sleep if I went to those cesspools of life. Seattle was promising but others had claimed Washington their home a long time ago and I was never one to encroach on another's territory.

I took a closer inspection of Portland.

Oregon reminded me of home, or at least what I remembered of home. The ocean, the woods, a blossoming metropolis full of avarice and a burgeoning need for excess. It was time to pack and make the next move. Maybe Portland would be better than the last dozen cities I had ventured. I chuckled to myself, "and maybe humanity will quickly evolve into a moral society."

I hope Portland is ready for me for I doubt they have never experienced anything like a Protector before.

Andis
Andis
1 Followers