Princess Charming Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"How can you be sure that Baldassare is not a good man? Do you know him personally?" Axel asked still thinking about the promise of land and a title.

"No I don't," the prince gave the king another glance, "I fear what he plans to do." Baldassare had moved to the stone folly where a fountain stood frozen in as though time had stopped. The prince hoped that his concerns were not known to the sorcerer king, it could prove dangerous for the entire family.

"I will try to gain the princess's attention," Axel answered finally, pulling the prince out of his momentary distraction. "But I doubt she will look at me."

"Don't write your self out before you meet her," the prince laughed at the handsome knight, "you are too modest for your own good."

Axel shrugged, "Well, if I fail with the princess perhaps her lady-in-waiting would give me the time."

"No," Castor nearly yelled, "I have plans to marry her once my sister is settled in her new life."

"Does she know?"

"Who?"

"Both," Axel cocked his eyebrow, giving the prince a smile.

Castor sighed, "Athanasia has no idea and I doubt Jelena does either. The two are inseparable. I have yet to see either of them alone since Jelena arrived here ten years ago."

Axel laughed, "Perhaps you should sneak into her room at night and declare your love to her."

Castor slumped, "I have tried, she spends her nights with my sister and returns to her bedchambers later than the rest of the palace."

"Then ask her to dance tonight at the ball," the knight suggested, "when your sister is occupied with another gentleman."

Castor smiled with hope, "Yes, I think I will."

<=={======>

Athanasia and Jelena stood out the front of the Blacksmith's workshop, the forge burned hot enough to keep the snow from the doorway. Inside the balding smith hammered away on what looked like a horseshoe.

"Elric!" the princess called smiling at her soot covered friend.

The tall muscular man looked up to see the princess and Jelena waiting at the door of his workshop. "Come in out of the cold!" he playfully ordered them waving them in to warm by the furnace. The girls gladly entered and stood by the fire. "Why are you out here when you should be choosing a husband?" he chided the monarch as he rested the horseshoe in a bucket of cold water.

"Please," Athanasia scoffed, "the likelihood of any of those men capturing my heart is slim at best." She turned to Jelena and smiled.

"You can't keep running away from your responsibility," Elric mover closer to the girls shaking his head, "you only have a few more years before you are labelled an old maid and not allowed to marry at all."

The princess rolled her eyes, "When the men are honourable, then I will choose." Jelena chuckled at the princess's statement. "Though, it cannot be that bad. Not having to be at the beck and call to an over sexed man who really is fantasizing about your dowry rather than you."

The blacksmith laughed, "One would start to believe that you want nothing to do with men," his face softened, "did my son truly capture your heart?"

Athanasia stopped laughing, the thought of Agathon caused her chest to constrict and her heart to drop. A small tear formed in the corner of her eye.

"You know," Elric sighed, "even if my son still lived, your father would not have allowed the two of you to marry."

"I know," Athanasia's voice cracked the pain of loosing her first love still raw. The tears formed quickly and Elric regretted mentioning his child to the girl Agathon loved more than life itself. If it were not for the war he was sure that the two of them would have eloped. "And I know it has been years since he died but I cannot help it."

Ignoring the soot over his leather apron, Elric pulled Athanasia into his arms and tried to calm her. "I'm sorry sweetie," he cooed, "For what it's worth, I would have risked my own life to see the two of you happy."

Athanasia looked up into the older man's eyes, the same deep brown her Agathon had. "I miss him so much."

Jelena sort out Elric's wife Minerva in the adjoining house who was working hard in the kitchen over a large mound of dough, "Jelena, how are you?" the plump older woman grinned. Her face apron and bodice were covered with a thin film of flour.

"I'm fine, Minerva," Jelena sat at the table where the woman kneaded the dough, "bread?"

"As usual," the gentlewoman stopped and stretched her back, "my beloved Elric eats more every day."

Jelena chuckled, "Maybe you should give him a night off every so often."

"Oh you cheeky girl!" Minerva blushes a deep crimson at Jelena's comment, both knowing that since the older woman went through her midlife change her libido increased tenfold. Athanasia and Jelena had the misfortune of finding the happy couple in the throes of passion in the workshop not to long ago.

"I think it's beautiful that you still love each other after so many years," the lady-in-waiting smiled sadly, "I only hope that Athanasia and myself are so lucky."

Minerva began to divide the dough and place the portions in baking tins, "you girls are lucky that Elric and me are of the old faith or the two of you could be flogged ... or worse."

"Athanasia made an oath never to love another man after your son," Jelena explained, "we do love each other and I will go with her wherever she end up living with her new husband, whoever he may be."

Minerva's kind eyes settle on the determined young woman, "I have heard whisperings of another outcome, the crowned prince is said to love you but is unable to get you alone to propose."

The colour drained from the young woman's face, "Castor?" Minerva nodded. "But I do not love him, or even paid that much attention to him. Why does he love me?"

"You are just as beautiful as the princess," Minerva said flatly placing the bread tins near the oven to rise. "Apparently the whole palace knows and the king even gave Prince Castor his blessing."

Jelena slumped in her chair, "that is not how things are meant to be. Athanasia would choose a husband who was kind and pleasant to the eye and the both of us would go with him. Castor has never talked to me!"

"Things never turn out the way we plan them," Minerva shrugged, "you know that my son planned on marring Athanasia since they first met when they were children. The war was not meant to happen and the two of them were to run away to another country and start a life together as a blacksmith and his wife." The woman felt a twinge of sadness, "she had no idea of what he was planning but I suspect that she would have gone along with it."

"I know she would," Jelena sighed, "She still loves him more than me."

Minerva sat next to her, "she loves you differently, but not any less."

<=={======>

"Come with me," Elric said as he lead her to the store room.

"What are we doing?" Athanasia asked as he opened the door revealing a silver set of armour with matching twin swords a bow and quiver full of arrows and several small daggers.

"Fulfilling a promise to my son," Elric replied, guiding her to the spectacular piece of artistry before her.

Speechless, the princess ran her fingers over the intricate detail of the grapevine pattern in gold that covered the breast plate. "Beautiful," she breathlessly sighed, picking up the bow and delicately traced the same design down its length.

"When Agathon was called up," Elric explained, "He made me promise to make sure you had the ability to take care of yourself ... in case he never returned." Athanasia shot her head around to see the blacksmith with a sad smile, "I have only just finished it, feel the breast plate it is still warm from the forge."

She did just that, paying attention to the faint warmth that radiated from the shinning metal. "He wanted you to make this for me?"

"He designed it the night before he left," Elric sighed, "It was one of the reasons I encouraged you to train with your brothers, it was all part of the promise I made."

"Thank you," she said sadly, picturing her childhood sweetheart standing next to her, "it is truly worthy of royal blood."

"Of you," he corrected her, "regardless of your origins, Agathon only thought of you. You have a natural leadership within you that he saw when you were only children. You should rule the kingdom."

"I don't think Castor would like that very much," she chuckled, "He is not only the eldest but male too, a woman would never be welcome to sit on the Balany throne as long as this new religion remains strong."

"Then find yourself a husband that will allow you to be you," Elric sagely advised, "Teach your daughters to be strong."

Athanasia nodded, "do what I can," she said stoically as she stared at her first love's final gift.

"You should head back to the castle, princess," the blacksmith suggested, "I am sure you are already missed."

Jelena found them in the storeroom, "Athanasia, I think we should go back I need to talk with you about something."

"I'm coming," she replied and turned back to Elric, "I will have to come back for this tomorrow."

<=={======>

Axel wondered what was taking so long for the introductions to occur, the other men were getting restless and he could feel the tension building.

"She's missing again," Castor had returned his tone suggesting it was a common occurrence.

"The princess does this often then?" Axel asked not bothering to hide his amusement.

"Only when something important is happening," the crowned prince sighed, "She promised not to do it this time."

"She sounds very independent," The knight said with a hint of pride in his voice.

"She should know better," Castor spat angrily shocking the knight at his rage. "My apologies, but she must learn her proper place as a lady."

"In Averny the women are strong willed and independent," Axel chuckled, "you learn very quickly not to stop them doing what they want."

Castor relented with his anger, his mother had been submissive to their father and had expected Athanasia to be the same, instead she was more like their father a strong wilful person who never backed down from a fight. "Sounds like you would be the only man who would know how to handle her."

Axel shook his head smiling, "You do not handle a strong woman, you let her lead. And trying to break them only causes you hurt." Fletcher laughed at the prince's stunned expression, "I learned from my mistakes."

The two men laughed as the king's advisor entered the garden, "Gentlemen, you may be happy to know that there will be no more delays," he informed the men who acknowledged the news.

"So she is back from her little trip," Castor smiled, "Wherever she goes to must be a wonderful place because she leaves for there every chance she gets."

"Perhaps it is an escape from her regal responsibilities."

<=={======>

Jelena hurriedly fetched a new dress for Athanasia, the soot from the Elric's smock had turned the yellow silk day dress into a useless rag. She pulled out a sky blue gown with pearls sewn into the plunging neck. "I really wish you had not allowed Elric to hug you, your black cloak will hide the soot but your sun dress is ruined," the lady-in-waiting grumbled, "I really liked that dress."

"It's only a spot," the princess chuckled at Jelena's behaviour, "I could fix it by embroidering a flower over the stain after it's been washed."

Jelena scowled at her, "We should not have left the castle, we are late because of it!"

Athanasia stopped her chortle and frowned, "What is bothering you?"

The shorter woman sighed, "I am sorry, but I have learned something that has alarmed me."

The monarch motioned for Elena to come closer and pulled her into her lap, "what is wrong mon sucrée? Tell me."

Jelena took a deep breath, contemplating whether to tell Athanasia about the prince's interest in her or not. "I have heard that there is someone at court who seeks my hand in marriage," Jelena's face burned with anger, "I will protest to the king only I fear he will reject my pleas."

"Who has asked for your hand, love?" Athanasia was angry now, the one person she loved in all the world was being forced into a marriage that would separate them permanently.

"I can't," she sobbed clinging to the princess.

"Who!"

"Prince Castor."

Athanasia was shocked, "My brother wants you as his queen?" If she did not have to leave after she is married she probably would be happy for her, "I had no idea he was interested."

"I don't love him," she wept, "I have never talked to him." She looked Athanasia in the eyes, "I only love you, I have never looked at man in that way and I never will."

Princess Athanasia let it sink in, Jelena loved solely her and had no interest in male companionship. "That could be dangerous for you," Athanasia said worriedly, Jelena nodded. "Perhaps you should feign interest in a few of the suitors tonight."

Jelena shook her head, "I would rather stay with you," she whined and nuzzled into Athanasia's neck, "I know you are to choose a husband tonight so I will not hinder your endeavour."

The princess sighed, "I will not leave you behind, ever." She sat there stroking Jelena's hair until the young woman slowed her breathing. "Come, let us go meet the hopeful suitors and break some hearts."

The lady-in-waiting sniffed and nodded her head, "Yes, lets."

<=={======>

All the suitors stood in the throne room waiting for the princess to make her entrance. Axel had not spoken to the count about the prince asking him to enter the competition for Athanasia's hand, he knew the count would react badly to the news so he decided to keep quiet.

The king stood to address the men, "Gentlemen, I welcome you to Balany this bristling winters day." He took a deep breath, "I regret to tell you that my daughter will be later that we thought, though it will not be too much longer and as tonight we were to have a welcome ball I have decided that we will delay the greeting for then so please go and ready yourselves to charm Balany's difficult princess."

Axel went to leave with the count when Castor approached him again, "Would you like to go for a walk with me?" he asked subtly pointing to the private chambers of the royal family. "I believe you will see someone you would like to meet," he spoke so quietly that Axel nearly missed what he said.

The knight nodded and followed. They moved swiftly into the corridor outside the princess's room just as she and Jelena came out looking like they were ready for the ball already. Axel's breath froze in his chest as he saw the two beauties glide up to them. "Castor," Athanasia purred with a secretive smile, "Brother, how are you?"

Castor let his eyes linger on Jelena, who was standing behind the princess, "Planning your wedding dear sister," his reply just as silky as hers.

She gave him a lyrical chortle that captured the knight's attention. "You are too hasty dearest Castor for I have not chosen a husband yet," she let her eyes fall on the knight at her brother's side. He was unlike any man she had ever seen, not like any of her previous suitors who tried to court her he had the look of a brave man who had seen the brutal wars that had plagued the continent over the last five years. His eyes were a delicate blue and his hair a common straw blond of the Oraland lowlands. His build told of the hard days on the front line against the Wild Northlanders, broad sword wielding shoulders of a born warrior. "Though not out of the question."

Axel's eyes widened at her remark as she perused his stature. She was not quite as tall as he, less than half his head shorter with a lithe figure and hair like the midnight sky. Her eyes were like jewels, so bright and clear. Then there were her lips, full pouting lips the colour of fresh blood and skin like the snow in the garden.

Castor cleared his throat and introduced Axel to his sister and her lady-in-waiting, "Ladies, this is Sir Axel Fletcher of Averny."

Jelena gave a shocked squeak at the introduction, everyone had heard of Sir Axel and his gallantry on the battle field, he was probably the only man that she would ever consider attractive not that she had ever seen him before. "A pleasure to meet you Sir Axel," she curtsied with a blush.

Athanasia smiled at the knight, "Well Sir Axel, it seems you have an admirer," she shot a knowing glance at her brother and scowled briefly, "I would make Sir Axel my choice, Jelena," her smile grew wickedly, "but you would be a better choice to be the knight's wife as I am unable to due to his humble origins." Axel saw a fleeting sadness flash across the princess's face before she carefully hardened her expression.

"I am sure that Jelena has higher ambitions than a knighted peasant," Castor glared at his sister.

"You're Majesty," Jelena weakly spoke, "I am also of humble beginnings but I never aspired to elevate my position through an advantageous marriage. I only wish to remain at my friend and princess's side." She retreated behind Athanasia again to avoid the sight of the men.

Axel had ignored the statement the prince made about his origins, the man wanted him to marry his sister. "My Lord," Axel cleared his throat, "Perhaps we should let the ladies continue on their way." Castor nodded in agreement and stood aside to let the young women past. Athanasia gave Axel one last glance and moved on, Jelena mimicked her and hurried to keep up.

"She does not want me," Castor sighed as he watched the small brunette retreat from his view.

"She looks to be easily intimidated," Axel commented, "Give her time to get to know you, highness." Axel felt dizzy, the two women he spied earlier were more beautiful up close than they were from a distance. He frowned at the memory of what Athanasia commenting about his lower status, "I am ineligible as an appropriate suitor for the princess in her eyes."

"She will think twice when I partition for you to be elevated to an earl," Castor slapped him on the shoulder, "though if an earl is not enough for you we have a couple of counties in need of counts and a duchy in need of a duke."

Axel raised an eyebrow at that, "why so many title that need filling?"

Castor chuckled, "A failed coup." The men left to ready for that night.

<=={======>

Baldassare remained behind as the other suitors left the throne room. "You're Majesty," the Galnoa king bowed showing respect for his elder peer, "May I have a word?"

The Balany king nodded and motioned for the northern royal to come closer, "I am puzzled that a king crowned through vanquishing the old and trusted Lunetta family would risk his own safety to vie for the hand of my troublesome daughter."

Baldassare smiled, "Sire, I must confess that had I not seen your daughter's portrait and fell in love with her I would not have." The tall mage grinned charmingly to put Talus at ease, "She is the most beautiful creature I have ever had the privilege of seeing and I hope that I am fortunate enough to meet her just once."

The elder king leaned back in his throne and threaded his fingers together, "surely you did not cross the known world just to meet the princess."

"Indeed I did not," Baldassare smiled, placing his hand over his heart. "My hopes are that I win her heart and she agrees to be my wife."

Talus narrowed his eyes on the foreign king suspiciously, "You are not interested in an alliance or the extensive dowry she has?"

"Any dowry she has will be for her alone and an alliance would just be an added gift." Baldassare sounded so sincere that he almost believed it himself.

The Balany sovereign sighed, "What is the reason for your word?"

"I request that if the princess fails to choose this evening that I am considered as your choice of suitor," he announced. "Know that I will love her. She will not want for anything."

The king cocked an eyebrow, "You actually want my taxing daughter?" The Balany king nearly laughed at the thought, "I know she is beautiful," his eyes steeled again, "No, there must be more."