Project Phoenix Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dex looked up into Mitch's eyes. Dex's eyes were red and full of tears long overdue.

"Destroyed Mitch. The doctor said that the desiseas had literally eaten the baby away. And Kay had wanted a baby for so long..." Dex shook his head. "That's probably why she came to the ship that day; to tell me the news." Dex wiped his face trying to regain his composure.

"I betrayed her Mitch. And I betrayed you. I'm so sorry." It was barley a whisper. Mitch looked at this big, strong, army captain with tears streaming down his face and Mitch started to cry too. He took Dex's face in his hands and turned it to look at him.

"You didn't betray me Dex. I knew what I was getting into but I was too chicken shit to really think about what it would all mean. And once I was there it scared the hell out of me, but what scared me more was that I felt like you weren't there for me, for me. I...I love you Dex and I need you." Mitch was crying hard now as he dropped all his guards and facade of confidence and bared his soul to Dex.

Dex reached out to Mitch and pulled him close. He held Mitch's body to his own just feeling Mitch's head resting against his neck and felt their hearts beating. Dex leaned back and kissed Mitch softly on the lips. Mitch opened his mouth and deepened the kiss.

They made out slowly for what seemed like hours. Every touch sending comfort to the other. Mitch broke the kiss and went to sit on the bed and held out his hand to Dex. Dex walked to Mitch and they layed back onto the bed, their lips rejoining.

Mitch pulled off Dex's shirt and and unbuttoned his pants. Dex helped slide them down and off. Mitch ran his hands down Dex's hard, muscular back feeling the ripples of muscle under his hands. He grabbed Dex's firm ass in his hands and ran his fingers between the two cheeks.

Dex moaned as Mitch's hands explored his body. They were strong and slightly calloused from working on machinery. Dex sat up and tugged Mitch's tight jeans down. Mitch kicked them off wanting to feel Dex's hard cock against his. When Dex went to unbutton Mitch's shirt Mitch grabbed his hands quickly.

"The-the-scar. I don't want you to see..." Mitch spoke quietly and shy for the first time when it came to sex that he could remember.

Dex just knelt his head down and kissed Mitch. "I want you."

Mitch removed his hands and allowed Dex to unbutton the black shirt. As Dex gently pushed the shirt back over Mitch's shoulders; Mitch gigngerly pulled his arms out. Dex stared at the hard, chiseled chest of his companion and let out a growl that made Mitch smile and grow harder. Dex ran a finger lightly down the pink scar on Mitch's side and bent to kiss it.

"Your beautiful." Dex said. Mitch just moaned and pulled Dex into a tight embrace.

They made love that night for the first time. Their connection was no longer just physical and they didn't rush. They explored eachother's bodies and relished the feel of their naked skin pressed together.

Hours later Mitch collapsed onto Dex out of breath. Sweat was dripping off of him and Dex was panting hard. Mitch could feel Dex's softening cock, lubricated with his cum, in his ass as he was cradled by his strong arms.

Mitch slide off of Dex's weak body and let Dex pull him in. Dex looked down at Mitch, his eyes closed and couldn't help but smile. He knew that he was coming to care about Mitch and that made him uneasy but it felt too good having Mitch in his arms. They spooned and held eachother tight as they drifted off to sleep.

It was 6 days later when Mitch returned to work. He seemed to be in constant pain. Sometimes the pain would be a dull, persistent ache. Then other times it would swoop down on him and bring him to his knees as he injected himself with the Nuroxitin. The pain would have driven him mad if he didn't have it. And rumor was some men aboard the Prudential were doing just that.

There were talks that people were dying from the surgeries or that their bodies were rejecting the modification and the men were getting addicted to the Nuroxitin. The large, buzzing ship seemed too quiet. Men were disappearing, being "reassigned" and never seen again. Meanwhile the higher-ups representing the National Federation set up temporary booths on all floors handing out Nuroxitin injections like free candy.

Dex had assured Mitch that he would look into it and that at an upcoming meeting with representatives from the National Federation he would get to the bottom of it.

Their relationship has blossom almost overnight. They were more comfortable with eachother and even though neither Dex or Mitch brought up their feelings verbally they could both feel it. They knew what their hearts were telling them.

Mitch was in line at one of the Nuroxitin booths on H Deck, before heading to work, when a haunting voice spoke into his ear.

"Hey bitch, getting your dose of Nuro so you can be a good little breeder?" Sten's gravely voice sent shivers up Mitch's spine, but he didn't move.

"What do you want asshole?" Mitch took a step forward as the line moved up; Sten right behind him.

"Oh nothing. I was just passing by when I saw your tight ass in line. You still owe me a fuck if I remember correctly." He said as he reached out and groped Mitch's ass.

Mitch turned on him and and grabbed Sten's hand, squeezing hard, hearing the knuckles pop.

"And if I remember correctly the Captain, my companion, said if you laid your hands on me again you were going to jail. So fuck off unless you want me to call P&E." Mitch said in a deadly voice as he gave Sten's hand a quick jerk and turned back to the booth to get 3 injectors of Nuroxitin.

"Oh I remember everything, you fucking tease!" Sten yelled after Mitch as Mitch stormed off to work with the Nuroxitin clenched tightly in his hands.

"So overall 55% of the test subjects have successfully been modified without complications." One man addressed the group sitting at a long table in a conference room near the Helm. Captain Dex Ordenal was was seated near the head of the table lined by NF clerks, scientists and and junior representatives of the National Federation.

"Fatalities are under 15% which is acceptable at this point." The man was reading from a clip board. He spoke in a casual tone like he was reading the sports scores out loud.

Dex sat uncomfortable in full NF uniform next to Lester McMahon, a senior Representative of the National Federation assigned to spear head the radical expedition to Rius 22.

Lester McMahon was of average height. He had a hooked nose, salt and pepper hair and shallow set gray eyes. He wore a perfectly tailored black suit instead of a military uniform like all of the other members in attendance. He sat stiffly in his chair listening to the statistics being read off by the scientist.

Captain Dex didn't like Mr.McMahon. He didn't trust him. McMahon had a reputation for being overly strict and cold hearted when it came to National Federation business. Dex shifted anxiously, wanting the meeting to be over. He wished he didn't have to be there but as Captain of the FSC Prudential his presence was mandatory.

Lester McMahon cleared his throat and the room instantly went quiet.

"I have heard that there are many complications with the surgeries and that most of the test subjects are now becoming dependent on the pain killer Nuroxitin. Is this true?" McMahon addressed the scientist slowly like he was speaking to someone who didn't speak his language.

"Y-y-yes Mr.McMahon. Even with more than half the success rate the procedure has turned out to be quiet painful and the Nuroxitin is the strongest medical solution we have." The scientist spoke quickly with fear in his voice.

"The rate of successful modification is not adequate and the side effects of the Nuroxitin could compromise the overall fruitfulness of the experiment. We need healthy pregnancies and children, not strung out parents and under weight, detoxing infants born prematurely." explained Lester.

Dex couldn't believe what he was hearing. He knew for sure now that the Nuroxitin was bad news and he defiantly didn't want Mitch taking that stuff now.

"I understand Sir but there is nothing else we can do." The scientist responded uneasily.

"Oh but there is." Lester sat up straighter and queued up the hover screen. It projected a see through image of a modified male in thin air. It highlight the new uterus and ovaries as well as the brain and neuro-network which was bright and sparkling with life.

"The entire survival of the human race depends on the success of Project Phoenix. We can not, and will not allow it to fail. We have exhausted all other options and at this point I'm making an emergency medical order. All patients who were successfully modified shall no longer be given Nuroxitin and will be ordered to report to their nearest Sick Bay for an abdominal CSD intravenous series."

Anyone who knew what CSD was gasped or stared dumbstruck at Lester. The hover screen switched to a visual enactment of the procedure. The translucent male figure switched to laying on his back as 4 large needles were injected into his stomach. The CSD viral cells spread out and branched through the subject's neuro network and then slowly parts of the brain began to dull until the brain was spotted with little black dots.

The scientist spoke up. "But Sir! Chemical Synapses Destruction was declared hazardous and its injection was outlawed for use on live human subjects. It would stop the pain but heaven only knows what it could do to their mental state! That combined with the withdrawal from the Nuroxitin could be fatal."

"Relax Doctor," Lester McMahon crooned, "all CSD series will be accompanied by precriptions for anti-viral medication to help ensure the deterioration of brain tissue is localized and minimal. And in addition to a permanent solution to the pain issue CSD was shown to increase estrogen and PHS levels which will certainly help increase the rate of successful surgeries."

The projected image displayed a chart that showed the increase of certain hormones and the computer estimated a 17% increase in successful modification surgeries.

The captain was disgusted. The treatment McMahon was suggesting was extremely dangerous and put his companions life at risk. CSD had been outlawed for a reason. It stopped pain but it could also turn the patient into a vegetable or turn them homicidal and/or suicidal. Dex could no longer stay silent. This approach put the life of every passenger on board at risk and he could not allow that to happen.

"With all due respect Sir," Dex stood up and saluted before continuing, "my companion's surgery went well and even though I do not like him being on the Nuroxitin I would prefer that as a temporary option instead of injecting people with CSD. And as Captain, I speak with the same authority of the National Federation when it comes to the safety of the crew and passengers of this ship and I will not allow this measure to be implicated." Dex finished strong with his jaw set and his eyes locked firmly on Lester McMahon's.

McMahon didn't seem upset at being challenged by the Captain. Instead he looked almost pleased and a small smile played at the corners of his lips.

"Well Captain, according to the Code of the National Federation, Regulation 29 dash B6, and I quote, ' full National Federation authority shall be endowed solely upon the Captain of a Starship of any class unless during a State of Emergency in which full authority shall then be transferred to the senior National Federation Representative aboard said Starship'." Lester finished his recital with a smirk.

Captain Dex growled low in his throat. McMahon was right. A state of emergency had been declared 3 years back and by law McMahon had all the power. Dex sat down silently steaming but forcing himself to contain his anger.

"Good boy." spoke Lester.

"Now back to business. I want this measure put into effect immediately. All temp Nuroxitin booths are to be taken down and all injections confiscated. Every man who's been modified should be scheduled for a CSD series by 9am tomorrow morning." Lester spoke quickly and loudly bringing the meeting to an end.

"Excuse me Sir, one thing..." Dex asked as everyone started to rise from their seats. Lester froze for a second then sat back down and nodded towards the Captain to continue.

"What is to be done with those men who were not modified and are dependent on the Nuroxitin for the pain from the failed surgery?"

Lester's eyes glinted and his face took on a heartless expression as cold as marble.

"They are to be euthanized."

Dex returned to the Suite to find Mitch relaxing in the tub. He charged in quickly and without giving Mitch a chance to speak, reached into the tub and lifted him out and then carried him into the bedroom and placed him on the bed.

"What the hell!?" Mitch was naked and soaking wet. One second he was calmly soaking off the grime and grease from the machinary in the engine rooms, the next Dex storms in and hauls him out and tosses him on the bed.

"No time to explain. Just pack some clothes quickly. We have to get to the Helm now." The Captain was moving around the room fast, throwing clothes into a duffel bag. Mitch was still naked and in shock on the bed.

"Now Lieutenant! " Mitch brain snapped into focus and the urgency in Dex's voice quieted any challenge he had. He picked up his bag and starting packing. He put on boxers and his uniform. In 5 minutes they were ready to go and were headed to the Helm.

"Dex, whats this all about? Whats going on?" Mitch was trying to keep pace with Dex who was jogging down the corridor.

"No time."

Dex stepped through the sliding door and into the Helm. All of the flight crew and their companions were there. Some had one their uniforms, others looked like they'd gotten dressed in a hurry. Everyone had a nervous expression on their face.

Mitch noticed the angelic looking young man from the other night, Sten's companion. His arm was in a sling and wrapped in a bandage. There was no sight of Sten.

"I know this is last minute but I had to call you all here." Dex spoke to the crowd. "The National Federation Representative is planning on implementing a dangerous medical protocol that puts all of our companions' lives in danger. They want to give all of our companions who had successful modification surgeries shots containing Chemical Synapses Destruction viral cells."

There were quick intakes of breath that rippled through the small crowd. Dex continued. "They also plan on killing anyone who's surgery failed." Dex said the last bit and everyone went quiet. One member of the flight crew, a tall ginger headed, burly looking man pulled his companion, black haired and half his size, to him and kissed his forehead.

"As Captain I won't allow that to happen so I need your help. I need to disabled all com units between Decks unless relayed through the control room and we need to isolate the P&E and NF officials in their rooms. The representative McMahon will try to alert the Federation. I suggest we call a fire drill then seal all the doors and override them all from here." Dex spoke as fast and as clear as he could.

Everyone shouted their agreement. Many of the crewmen had been with the Captain for years and trusted him with their lives. The punishment for treason was death, but now that their companion's lives, men that they were growing to love, were in danger they're faith in their Captain only deepened, no matter the consequences.

"Good. Now I need all flight members to come with me. We need to get to Rius 22 now. All members of tech crew get to overriding the systems and shutting down the coms."

Dex issued orders for a couple minutes and told all non-military companions to report to their partners quarters in the Helm. Dex turned to Mitch who was standing next to him.

"I need you to go to my quarters and wait there."

"The hell I will!" Mitch exclaimed. He was a trained soldier and after hearing about what the Federation planned on doing Mitch was determined to help. He knew exactly what CSD could do to a person and he did not want that to happen to him.

"I can help. I can help the tech crew out with the door overrides." Mitch said dropping his pack at his feet and crossing his arms in front of him.

Dex smiled a little and saluted. "Lieutenant report to Officer Fargus for further instructions."

Mitch returned the smile and went in search of the officer.

Captain Dex jumped into the Captain's chair just as the fire alarm system was triggered by his crew. In the case of a fire on board everyone was required to return to their rooms or the nearest Sick Bay where the walls could be filled with a fire proof foam. Dex's crew sealed the doors shut and denied access to the ports once they were inside.

"INES bring up our ships location and current course." Dex said quickly to the Internal Navigational and Exploratory System.

"Yes Captain." INES brought up the ships location in space on hover screen. They were still weeks away from Rius 22 but maybe if they used full Warp Drive they could get there instantly, but that was extremely dangerous.

Sergeant Nate Zimms sat down next to Dex in his own chair. He rested his bandaged arm on his leg and started to log into the computer and pull up their flight information.

Captain Dex's anger ignited at the sight of Nate injured. Dex was aware that Sten had been released earlier that morning and he made a mental note to ensure he was up on charges for assault, but first he had to land the ship.

"INES if we use Warp Drive at full capacity will be able to bypass the Net around Rius 22?"

"Calculating."

"No." Nate responded immediately. "If we try to warp to Rius 22 we'll either over shoot or crash directly into the Meteor Net." Nate informed the Captain with certainty in his voice.

"Sergeant Zimms is correct Captain Ordenal." INES confirmed.

Dex ground his teeth and thought hard then used his finger tips to rotate the galaxy map 30 degrees. They needed to find a Haven where Lester McMahon and his goons couldn't contact the Federation and where everyone would be safe.

"Fine what if we overshoot, but on purpose? Can we land safely on Yolaris?" Dex said, coming up with a genius idea. The quarantine on Yolaris would be like hiding in plain sight. There were not communication satellites near the planet since it was quarantined.

Nate looked confused and bit his lip like he wanted to say something but held his tongue. "Yes we could make it, but our generator might be damaged." Nate was unsure. Navigation was his thing not mechanics.

"MITCH!" Dex called out behind him.

His companion rushed up to him, slightly annoyed since he was in the middle of helping deny access to the doors on board.

"What?"

"If we warp to Yolaris would our generator be damaged?" Dex inquired of his companion.

Mitch frowned a bit, his brain working fast.

"Yes and no. It would be active but the core would be burnt out. We'd have to replace the cell burners probably and re-jump the system. Wait, did you say Yolaris? Why are we going to Yolaris?" Mitch asked Dex repeatedly coming closer and closer to Dex's faces trying to get an answer as Dex kept moving around readying the ship for Warp Drive.

"Dex!" Mitch shouted. Dex turned to Mitch and caught him off guard when he pulled Mitch's head down and kissed him. Dex kissed him hard, almost painfully and pulled back to look at Mitch.

"Go back to helping with the doors. I've got this." Dex turned back to the controls in front of him. Mitch just nodded in shock and went back to helping Officer Fargus and his men.

Dex couldn't have saved Kay three years ago. But Dex realized that he loved Mitch and cared about him and that this time he could save his companion. The love he felt for Mitch had snuck up on him quietly and unexpected. But hearing what Lester McMahon's plans were made Dex realize that he would do anything to keep Mitch safe, including performing what would be considered an act of treason.