Proving My Sanity

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
oggbashan
oggbashan
1,522 Followers

"The Army? That would be a waste. The Empire could be at war with Russia soon and he could die in action. Then he couldn't inherit from you or from me."

"He won't inherit from me anyway. My will sets up a trust for my wife/wives and children. They'll need support once I've gone."

"That sounds sensible, more sensible than cricket."

"We hope the cricket pitch will benefit the villagers. Asha also wants dams on the river to reduce winter flooding."

"Dams? I have many dams on my property. Any rain we get is welcome but can be too much in a few short hours. I try to keep as much as I can."

"So did I in India. The monsoon was generally predictable but the dams helped keep water from flooding, and provided a supply the whole year around."

"I can't help with cricket but you and I might be able to sort out dams, Anthony."

"That would be useful. You'll stay with us for a few days? We've got a big local event this week."

"An event?"

"All my bastards are being christened, as are many of the villagers' children. You'd be welcome to join the ceremony."

"That would be unusual. I'm tempted."

"My ladies might help you to decide. It's important to them."

"I'm sure it is."

At that point Asha returned. The three of us rode back to the house in Robert's hired chaise driven by Alfred. I sat back and closed my eyes as Asha and Robert discussed building dams on the local river. They agreed to go for a walk beside the river later today if Mr Harris would be available to go with them.

Asha introduced Robert to Sumitra. Sumitra took one look at me and asked Meena to take me away for a rest, and massage although she didn't say that aloud. Robert seemed genuinely delighted to meet my wife, and Meena. As I walked slowly away with Meena some more of my women were arriving to meet Robert. I heard Sumitra arrange for tea to be served in my study for Robert. James arrived with Gita. Asha introduced James to Robert. I smiled as I saw the two men assessing each other before they followed Sumitra towards my study.

Robert's luggage was heavy. Alfred had to help to carry it into the hall. Each bag needed two maids to carry it to the room Sumitra had assigned to Robert.

Meena massaged my legs and arms before she undressed me. I had to help her to undress before she joined me on the bed. I went to sleep cradled against her shoulder. The visit to the potential cricket field had tired me more than I had expected.

I woke up half an hour later. It was another ten minutes before Meena and I were dressed. She took my arm as I slowly walked into my study. Robert, James, Gita and Asha were in animated discussion about the projects for the dams and cricket pitches. Sumitra was sitting behind my desk watching them with an amused look on her face. Mr Harris was also amused as he sat on the window seat ready to give advice if it was needed. Mr Green and Mr Singh were sitting close to Mr Harris. I sat next to Sumitra and listened. Meena was standing behind me with her hand resting on my shoulder.

It became clear that the field was suitable for a cricket pitch and they had moved on to discussing the dams and the water meadow. But they didn't know enough about the river upstream from the meadow. I clapped my hands to attract their attention. The two Mr Andrews, Gita and Asha had been so involved in their discussion that they hadn't noticed me come into the study.

"Can I assume," I said, "that we are agreed that the field is suitable for a cricket pitch and pavilion? Mr Harris?"

"Yes, Mr Andrews. It is." He replied.

"Then can you three and Gita produce proposals for my approval? I assume, Mr Green, that you have to resume your duties soon?"

"Yes, Mr Andrews. I should be back by tomorrow evening. We should have an outline of what is needed by then. I would like Mr Singh to stay to oversee the project if that's agreeable to you?"

"Sumitra? Can we find somewhere for Mr Singh?"

"Already arranged, Anthony."

Mr Singh nodded.

"Mr Singh? Are you prepared to work for me for at least the next six months?"

"Yes, sir. I have agreed that with your wife and Mr Harris. By next spring you should have a useable cricket pitch."

"Thank you Mr Singh."

I turned to the others.

"You have been discussing dams on the river. But apart from Mr Harris and Asha you haven't seen the river. I suggest you walk over there now. Your discussions would be more productive if you..."

"...know what the deuce we are talking about." Robert concluded for me. "I know about dams. I don't know your river."

"Thank you, Robert. James? Do you want to go with them, or talk cricket?"

"I don't know enough about cricket, sir, to be any help. I don't know about dams either, but it is clear that Robert and Asha do. I think I will learn something from them."

"Thank you. I suggest this meeting should be adjourned. Mr Green and Mr Singh? Do you need Mr Harris to produce your proposals?"

"No, sir," Mr Green said. "Mr Harris has told us all we need to know. We might need to talk further to Gita, possibly tomorrow, but otherwise we can work alone."

"Thank you. Mr Harris, can you take Robert, James and Asha to look at the river?"

"Of course, sir."

"Then we will meet again at dinner, or tomorrow. Thank you all."

After they had left Meena made some more tea for me.

"That went well, Anthony," Sumitra said. "I think you are proving your sanity effectively."

"Probably. But I don't think I need to. Robert and James are the only people who could challenge any bequest I make. Apparently Robert is far richer than I am, and he is thinking of making James his heir. If he does, neither of them would be interested in my modest means."

"Modest means! You are the richest person in the county, Anthony." Meena protested.

I laughed.

"But nephew Robert owns a larger estate than the size of the whole county, Meena. He also owns three gold mines."

"Gold mines?" Even Sumitra was startled by that.

+++

That evening Robert was introduced to the whole family before dinner. He enjoyed meeting them but was more formal than James had been. The dinner was a quiet one by my standards, with three men and four women. After dinner the ladies left the gentlemen to partake of brandy and cigars. We went out onto the terrace in the cool of the evening to smoke the cigars.

"Why did your government send you to England, Robert?" I asked.

"There were a few changes we need to our constitution. We are still technically a penal colony but we have a growing population of free men and women. If news of our gold finds is widely known we could acquire a significant increase in population that are not convicts. Our governance needs to change. The Colonial Office seems to agree. The Treasury is likely to exert pressure on them. I brought our tax contribution for the last few years and deposited it at the Bank of England."

"How much?" James asked.

"Half a ton of gold," Robert answered. "I needed an escort of soldiers from the ship to the Bank of England. After that I had arranged for the soldiers to escort me to Coutts Bank for my personal deposit. Their chief cashier seemed reluctant to accept me as a depositor. Apparently colonials aren't gentlemanly enough for Coutts. I asked him whether his scruples would still hold when he knew the size of the deposit I was intending to make. He was still reluctant until he noticed my escort of soldiers. 'Very well, sir,' he said, 'how much would you deposit?'. He accepted me as sufficiently eligible and gentlemanly when I told him I would be depositing my own quarter ton of gold. I didn't tell him that I had five more tons to deposit for other New South Wales gold companies. Some of that gold is also mine. I spread them around various banks in the City of London."

"I assume all the banks now regard Mr Robert Andrews as a gentleman?" I asked.

"More than that, Sir. They treat me like a Nabob."

"A hit, a palpable hit, Anthony," James said.

"My fortune seems paltry by comparison, Robert," I said.

"But it is more than enough to support you and your extended family in style, Anthony."

"It is, and it will be in trust for them when I die."

"That sounds like a sensible arrangement, Anthony," Robert said.

"Which reminds me, Robert. James here wanted to discuss something with me. It seems a suitable time when I'm not surrounded by women as I usually am. James?"

James looked embarrassed.

"I do have an idea what you want to ask, James. I wanted you to do it while my nephew Robert is here too. He might have something to say about your request."

"Very well, sir. What I wanted to ask was whether you would sponsor me to be an officer in the Army..."

"No!" Robert said abruptly.

"No?" James seemed shocked by such a blunt rejection.

"No, young James," Robert said. "We may at war with Russia within weeks. Your chances of survival might not be good. If you do survive of course you could be promoted. But I can make a much better offer to you than a career in the Army. That is why Anthony wanted me to hear what you wanted. I want you to come to New South Wales."

"To New South Wales? But that's the other side of the world."

"It is, James, it is. It's a new country. It will be a country, not a penal colony, and it is enormous. I own a large piece of it but on a map of the continent my lands are a mere pinprick. It takes three days to ride from one side of my land to another. It needs managing, developing and improving. I may be much younger than my uncle Anthony, but eventually I will need someone to continue to look after the property. You two are my only relations in the world. I want an Andrews, you James, to be my heir."

James staggered as he absorbed the enormity of what Robert was offering.

"Your heir, sir?"

"Yes, James. My heir. Heir to a large property and three gold mines which might be four by the time I get back to New South Wales. I'm not offering comfort and a gentlemanly existence. I'm offering pioneering in a new country. You will have the benefits of wealth but sometimes you might think being an Army officer would have been easier living. I assume you can ride?"

"Of course."

"New South Wales horses are unlike English horses but you can learn. You'll have a lot to learn if you are going to be successful. Will you come with me?"

"Yes. But..."

"There's a but? Anything serious?"

"I wanted to be an Army officer so that I could offer for a young lady, Robert. I want her to be my wife but my fortune and prospects weren't sufficient for me to make that offer."

"As my heir they would be enough for any young lady's father. But do you think she would come with you to New South Wales?"

"I don't know. She is a very determined young lady. She might."

"I think you need to ask her, James," I said. "Does she live far from here?"

"No, Anthony. I could ride to her parents' house in a couple of hours."

"Then, James, do it -- tomorrow," Robert said. He reached into his fob pocket and produced a small item wrapped in soft leather. "Give her this, even if she says no."

"What is it?" James asked.

Robert put it into his hand.

"It's a troy pound ingot of gold from one of my mines. That will prove to her, and to her father, that your prospects are excellent."

"I'm sure it will, Robert," I added.

James cautiously unwrapped the leather to reveal a regular ingot stamped with its purity and origin.

"Thank you, Robert. I'll come to New South Wales with you, with or without my bride."

"You would be better bringing a bride. We are still short of women out there."

We walked back into the house to rejoin the ladies.

+++

The next day was a Sunday. Robert, James and I together with eight of my ladies attended Morning Service. Afterwards I introduced my nephew Robert and cousin James to the Vicar. The Vicar was startled by Robert's accent. We stood around just outside the church porch. James left with the ladies. He would be borrowing one of my horses to ride to see his potential fiancée Emily.

Robert asked the Vicar about the history of the church. The Vicar replied that although it was of ancient foundation it had been poorly maintained in the 18th Century. The roof needed urgent repairs. The local builders had given an estimate of two hundred and thirty pounds for a proper repair, or forty eight pounds to make it safe. I think the Vicar was expecting a contribution from me as the local squire. He was stunned when Robert produced a Coutts' cheque book and wrote one for the whole two hundred and thirty.

The Vicar's thanks were effusive.

"My nephew Robert is far richer than I am," I explained.

"He is?"

"Uncle Anthony doesn't own any gold mines," Robert said.

I think the Vicar thought that was a joke, a pleasantry.

"He does own some gold mines, Vicar," I told him.

The Vicar shook his head in disbelief as Robert and I walked away towards the waiting chaise.

"I wonder what the Vicar would say if he knew where my fortune originated?" Robert said.

"He doesn't know. Neither do I, Robert. I don't even have an idea what my brother John did to get transported. I was sent to India to get away from the scandal but what scandal? I was never told."

"How amusing. Well, Anthony, John was transported for taking part in a duel. Duels were illegal but hushed up as long as the participants behaved like gentlemen. This duel wasn't gentlemanly, not at all. It was apparently about someone accusing John of cheating at cards. He probably had been. But his accuser was the husband of John's mistress. The real reason for the duel is that the woman had become pregnant and the husband accused John. According to my father the lady in question didn't actually know which of several men might have been the father but it wasn't John.

The two men were drunk and in a gaming club. They agreed to fight there and then, drunk as they were, and with swords that were on display on the wall. John ran his opponent through the shoulder, not a serious wound, but the magistrates raided the premises just after the duel ended. John was arrested and eventually transported. But his money?

He was transported for a two year sentence. After that time he was a free man, but in Sydney. His parents were sending him a remittance as long as he stayed away from England. That remittance was substantial in New South Wales at the time and John set up a business that provided a vital service. He started a brothel employing convict women.

That brothel gave him opportunities to obtain favours from the men running New South Wales. He was able to buy Crown land at very low prices, especially after he had opened four more brothels still employing convict women. He hired the women from the prison governors who got a cut of the brothels' profits. As the women finished their sentences they tended to marry customers of the brothels. New South Wales was and is very short of women. For some reason John was very popular with his former employees. They provided him with information and contacts and his land empire grew and grew.

He married one of the former convict women and she gave birth to me. She died from a fever when I was twenty. John died when I was twenty five leaving everything to me. By that time he was apparently a solid respectable citizen no longer running brothels. He was, but through nominees. I really sold them and invested the proceeds in developing the land. I used a geologist who had been a convict for embezzlement from his employers in England. He said that he had been the fall guy for his boss. I could believe it. He was scrupulously honest when working for me and he found the first gold deposit. I made him a partner in developing the first mine. He's not as rich as me but he is rich by New South Wales standards. He lives in a pleasant house in Sydney with a wife and half a dozen children.

But -- John's wealth was tainted. Now mine isn't. I'm no longer a brothel owner. I'm a married landed gentleman with a couple of gold mines and no heir. James seems ideal for that role. He's intelligent, willing to learn, young and my closest relation. He doesn't really appreciate how much work there will be to run a property the size of mine but he'll have time to learn. If he has a wife to help him? He'll do well."

"I hope so, Robert. But we won't tell the Vicar about my brother John. My household shocks him enough. Wednesday will be an ordeal for him. Tuesday all the unmarried couples in the village are getting married at my expense. Wednesday all my children and all those of the village's just married couples will be christened. It could be interesting."

We climbed into the chaise and set off back towards the house.

"I could give a christening present to your children, Anthony."

"I had to bribe some of the men to get married and acknowledge their children. They were worried that they would be chased by the Parish for maintenance. I've given a dowry of ten guineas to each bride and five guineas for each child to be christened."

"You have? I think your nephew will have to match that, and provide the same for your twenty five children. I have presents for the women of your household. I was thinking of giving them tomorrow but after the mass christening might be more appropriate. So, I'll give ten guineas for each of your twenty five children, and twenty guineas for each mother. How many village brides?"

"Eighteen I think. I have a list back at the house."

"The village children?"

"Forty-eight. I know that. Each one is getting an inscribed Bible and I've had to sign them all."

"Then I have enough cash with me to pay the lot. If you have some suitable envelopes I'll add the money for the children to the Bibles."

"I will have in my study."

As we approached the house James rode past us. Robert looked carefully.

"He seems competent on a horse." He said.

"He must be. My stable staff wouldn't have given him that horse unless they thought he could manage it. It's fairly spritely, nothing like New South Wales horses, of course, but it needs careful handling. I regret I'm past riding. I have to travel on wheels, usually driven by someone else."

Robert helped me to climb down from the chaise. We walked into the formal garden.

"For your age, Anthony, you seem remarkably well."

"If I am, it is because my women look after me. Recently I had a fever and our local doctor was useless. Sumitra and the others cared for me. I had already arranged our marriage without telling her. I also re-wrote my will. If that fever had killed me it could have left them all destitute."

"Surely not, Anthony."

"It could. Until my marriage none of them had a claim on my estate. I thought James might have as my closest relation. But you are, Robert."

"But I wouldn't want to inherit from you, and certainly not at the expense of your household. What would I do with an estate in England?"

"I didn't know that. I didn't even know you existed until James told me."

"And now we've met. Neither James nor I are a threat to your fortune. Your household can inherit uncontested."

"I know. There was a risk particularly if I was considered insane when I married and signed my will."

"Insane? You? Nonsense!"

"The doctor thought I was when I was raving in the fever. The Vicar disapproves of my household arrangements..."

"I'm not surprised. Twenty five children and fifteen wives is enough to give the most tolerant Vicar a bad case of conscience."

"The fees for the marriages and christenings will salve his conscience for a while. If I could, I'd marry all fifteen women."

"That would give him a heart attack, Anthony. Christians only have one wife."

"But although they are nominal Christians they are actually Hindu."

"Are they by... whatever God Hindus have."

"Gods, Robert. Gods."

"So you could marry them in Hindu weddings?"

oggbashan
oggbashan
1,522 Followers