Pushing Boundaries Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ArtForm
ArtForm
1,148 Followers

When she disconnected the call, he made his way up to his office. He should have called his Alpha straight away but he knew that Josephine was probably doing that at the moment. Eian would no doubt be preparing for flight as soon as their conversation was done.

That would give him about fifteen hours give or take to gather as much information as he could... before a very angry Alpha and worried father come after his hide.

***

When he reached his office, Alex wasn't surprised when his superiors told him that Riley had submitted a last minute resignation letter --so much for calling in sick. For a lawyer, that would mean burning crucial bridges for future references... except that Alex had a hunch Riley didn't give a damn about his credentials.

After office hours ended, Alex poured through Riley's files as well as the cases he was working on before the sudden resignation. Everything looked perfect --high school valedictorian; magna cum laude from Harvard... it even listed him as having a tidy apartment with a dog. Previous employments included other prestigious legal firms and even a stint as an intern in the DA's office.

Impeccable resume.

Alex took down Riley's home address. He had about ten hours before Eian's plane touched down in San Francisco Airport. His Alpha wasn't going to inform him of course; he was already en route.

The born-tracker in Alex kicked in the moment he stepped out of his office. As expected, the address was phony and in its place was simply a P/O box.

"You'll need a warrant for that," said the mail room lady; a sweet smile on her face. "Mr. Eos told me to ask for one if anyone but him came to open it."

"I understand, Ma'am," he replied as charmingly as he could. "Does he come here often?"

"What's it to you?" she turned, leaning her elbows on the counter to stare at him.

"He's dating my sister," he grinned. "I'm doing what brothers do --I'm checking him out."

The pudgy lady laughed. "Mr. Eos is the kindest soul ever! He wouldn't hurt a fly!"

"That's what I'm hoping." Alex tried to be patient. "Has he been here lately?"

"Nah... he just comes in once a month or so... but he always brings chocolates. He's sweet that way."

"Guess my sister's in good hands then."

Alex left.

That was a dead end --or not.

His wolf had picked up a scent; very faint but it was still there. Moving back to the P/O box, Alex touched the metal very carefully. Just because he couldn't see what was inside doesn't mean there wasn't anything to be learnt from the outside...

Then it hit him.

The pure, cold metallic scent --of a Vampire.

Something inside the mailbox had made Riley --or a Vampire posing as Riley --excited enough to release his scent.

Now the question was, what was it?

***

Connor was sitting at his desk when one of the Vanguards came in.

"Sir, we've received reports of an attempt to open Major Eos's P/O box at La Verne. Should we check it out?"

Connor raised his head lazily. "What's inside the box?"

"Nothing of value Sir but someone's trying to track him down."

That caught his attention. "What do you mean?"

"His background files were checked this morning; an attempt to authenticate them by calling up the various references. His credit card transactions are also being checked and monitored."

"Who's doing all this?"

"We are still investigating I will send a team out straight away."

The Vanguard was about to leave when Connor raised his hand. "Wait... I have a better idea." He gave a slow smile. "Tell Eos to meet me at the control room in ten minutes."

Ten minutes later, Riley watched from behind the glass panel as Connor sat in front of a very weary Keona. Was this another test?

"What do you want?" she whispered; too tired to be more forceful.

"You're an interesting creature... truly."

Keona stared at him with mild interest. "You have me. You've done your tests... now will you let Marine go?"

"Of course."

His sudden compliance made her wary. "What's the catch?"

"Astute judgment," he mused. "Well let's say I have a final test for you --a task." She narrowed her eyes at him but remained quiet. "I want you to track and find someone... and then you're free."

"I'm not a detective."

"Oh no... you're a living prototype of how do we say it --bounty hunters? Yes... you find the target, collect necessary information and then terminate them if necessary."

"I will do no such thing!" She struggled against her restraints.

"Then we have no reason to strike a deal with you. We have enough data and samples from you to successfully recreate a hybrid... so in other words you have now become obsolete."

You son of a bitch! Keona was tired but she tried to force her way into his mind, trying to bleed him from the inside...

"Futile attempts Keona..." Connor shook a finger at her. "We'll give you five hours to recuperate and then you can decide. You either die at the end of the task and free Marine or both of you die here at the end of the day. Your choice."

***

Alex needed help --the wolf kind. He was sure that he was being shadowed by someone and he didn't want to risk being seen shifting into his wolf form.

So he needed cover.

He stopped his car in front of the shelter and went to find Rina; fully aware that the wolves and wolf-dogs were watching him with intense curiosity.

"Hey Rina, did my girlfriend call to say she missed me yet?"

"She'll skin you alive for saying that," said Rina with a sigh. "You know, I'm starting to get worried. I've been trying to call her but she's not answering."

"Is her phone on silent mode all the time?"

"Yeah, I think so. She doesn't even allow it to vibrate because she says the noise gets amplified for the wolves."

It was still worth a try.

"Rina, I need you to give Keona a call in the next thirty minutes... and continue calling until someone disconnects it. I don't think she went far. Maybe she got lost in the woods or something."

Rina frowned. "Keona never gets lost... but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt."

"One more thing Rina. I need you to lend me... as many wolves as you can."

"Why?"

"I need them to scent her out."

Rina looked at him suspiciously. "I don't trust you."

Alex shrugged. "These wolves now have a tag and a tracking chip right? I know that's what you guys do so you'll recognize them the next time. And, I really want to find Keona. She's got a thing for me."

Rina rolled her eyes at him. "Yeah, she loathes you alright."

Flashing a grin at her, he laughed, "Told you she has a thing for me."

"Yeah, yeah. Now I think we have about five wolves that are rehabilitated enough to be released anyway. The tracking chip is already embedded at the scruff of their necks and I will be able to find them if I turn on this monitor," she explained, pointing to her desktop screen.

"Then we're all set."

"Not so fast Mister... I want those wolves back here in perfect condition. Key will kill me... no --you if you don't get them back safely. Understood?"

Alex smiled at her. "You're the best Rina." Then he followed her out towards the enclosure.

The wolves studied Alex; eyes watching every move the Were made, their noses twitching to familiarize themselves with his scent. They recognized the wolf in him and though his scent confused them, the wolves accepted his Alpha status. And his wolf acknowledged them.

"If they are ready to be out in the wild, why are you still keeping them here?"

"Keona's very cautious and I think she's bonded with them... so it's harder for her to let them go. Besides, they come back every time she lets them out." She took out the collar from five of the wolves and passed him one of Keona's handkerchiefs. "Be careful. These feral wolves like to bite."

The moment she left, Alex crouched down and shifted; trying to remain as hidden as possible. The wolves began howling, one after another until the black furred Alex silenced them with a snarl.

Pushing the handkerchief with his snout, he motioned for the others to remember the scent.

The hunt had begun.

***

Meanwhile, time was running out for Keona as well and she knew what the most rational choice was. She needed to get out so she could leave clues --for her family to find her. This was the only way. Completing whatever task lay ahead of her would not guarantee Marine's safety either. She needed to get help and there was nothing she could do trapped in a leaded shoe-boxed room.

"So, Miss MacFarlane, have you decided?"

"What is this task you have for me?"

Connor shrugged. "Nothing too difficult for you."

"I'm not killing anybody."

"We'll see..."

Keona glared at him. The rest had helped her restore her energies and she was prepared to fight him if she had to. "I want a hardcopy agreement that you'll release Marine the second I complete this task... she's just a child and has nothing to do with this sick experiment of yours!"

"Okay." Connor gestured to the mirror and a moment later, the Ancient female Vampire from earlier came in. "We'll do this... the old fashioned way," he said with a smile.

Keona was about to ask what he meant when a she felt a sharp pain in the middle of her right palm.

Blood.

Connor was extending his own bloodied palm face up. "Now... we seal the deal."

Keona had never seen a blood oath before and the thought of touching the Ancient Pureblood repulsed her but she knew the gravity of her decision now. To seal the deal with a blood bond meant that if either one of them broke their vow, they would die.

It would require her to do everything Connor asked her to --even if it meant killing someone.

"I... can't..."

"You disappoint me Keona..."

Out of nowhere, the other Ancient drew out two long swords; the cold blades crossed right beneath Keona's neck like scissors --aimed to severe her head with a flick of the wrist.

"So what's the decision little girl?"

"What's the assignment?"

Connor's response was to hold out his hand once more. "You are to do the task that I've assigned you. Upon the successful completion of the task, your cousin Marine will be set free --memories of this event wiped completely from her mind."

"And I?"

"Will become the property of this research programme until we decide to terminate you."

Keona lowered her gaze. I'm sorry Daddy... She thrust her hand forward. Mummy... Connor placed their palms facing each other...

The burn seared through her entire body, short-circuiting her senses and nervous system and Keona heard herself scream...

Alex...

"Alex?" Connor looked at Keona with interest. "Will that be Alexander MacFarlane? My... isn't this getting interesting..."

Keona was still trying to overcome the pain from their blood oath but she heard him loud and clear. There was no way he's going to use another one of her pack members as leverage.

"It seems everything's falling in place now." Keona lifted her eyes to look directly into his. "Well then, you already know what your first task is."

At first she didn't comprehend what he said for her head was still spinning but then...

"No..." she whispered, shaking her head. The blood sang in her ears; Connor's instructions echoing in her head. "No!"

But Connor was smiling as the first trickle of blood appeared at Keona's throat. "Say no once more and you know what happens little girl..."

With that, he walked out, leaving Keona to her newfound demons.

***

ArtForm
ArtForm
1,148 Followers
12