Quartet: Eleanor Ch. 06

Story Info
Life changes, tragedy, another visitor, & a decision.
5k words
4.67
20.2k
3

Part 6 of the 12 part series

Updated 08/30/2017
Created 05/08/2007
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,602 Followers

Chapter 06: The horror story, the life changes, another visitor and a big decision.

This is the final chapter in the Quartet series. For those of you who have hung in this long, my admiration and thanks. Almost every comment has been supportive and helpful. A big thank you to my wife, who has edited and proofed my work diligently. If anything was missed, it was by me.

*

Eleanor considered her future as she contemplated her journey through menopause. She alternated between anger and despair that she could not control or at least manage her tomorrows. Would it be an easy passage lasting only a couple of years or would it be a long, protracted process lasting many years? She was conscious of some recent weight gain and she was unhappy with her appearance after all those years of almost automatic satisfaction with her looks. She tried hard not to dwell on it and carry on with her life as normally as she could, but every day there seemed to be a reminder of these changes and her feeling of helplessness as they overtook her. She tried to read books and articles on the subject, but found herself loosing concentration and even interest in the variety of conflicting information and advice they contained. She briefly considered Estrogen Replacement Therapy, but rejected it when she saw the risks of Breast and Uterine Cancer as well as Gallbladder disease. In the end, it was Roger who found her path forward.

Roger approached Eleanor's announcement of menopause as he would any other issue; he would study, analyze, form a plan of attack and then, act. It was the typical linear approach of an engineer and it was the only way Roger knew how to address this problem. Unfortunately, as Roger was soon to discover, it wasn't that simple or straightforward. As he began to read more about the exclusively female condition, he quickly understood that each situation and the response by Eleanor could be different than any text-book depiction that he might consider.

He began to notice the changes in Eleanor. She appeared to have gained weight and her skin-tone had changed. She was still a beautiful woman, but he could see that she needed to address these changes and restore her former physical condition. While he couldn't alter the natural course of her ageing, he could do two important things. First, he could encourage, if not demand, that she better manage her diet and return to her exercise classes. Every book he read placed high importance on these two elements. Second, he could be her cheerleader and her coach. He would not allow her to fall into a state of depression or lose her sense of self-worth. More importantly, he would talk to her and let her know he was aware of what she was going through and that he would be at her side and help her in any way he could.

He knew that some changes in their sex life would also take place. It was possible, if not likely, that she would suffer from vaginal dryness; a lack of the natural lubrication that they had so taken for granted. Her vaginal walls would thin and this could produce soreness and he would have to be aware and sensitive to these changes. Water soluble lubricants and creams with one or two percent estrogen content would help. One thing he couldn't predict would be her appetite for sex. It could be erratic or it could diminish, or in some cases, she might become very aggressive. He would have to 'play it by ear' and respond to her as best he was able.

Roger had postponed talking to Eleanor about his thoughts until he thought the timing was right. Unfortunately, that moment didn't occur for several weeks and only then quite by accident. They had spent the day together one Saturday and when they got back to the apartment building, Eleanor decided she didn't want to go out that evening as they had planned. When Roger suggested he cook dinner for them, she declined, saying that she was too tired to enjoy a meal and would be just as happy to have a hot bath a go to bed. Roger then suggested that she should eat something for her own good and Eleanor snapped.

"Stop telling me what's good for me, Roger! I'm not a baby and I'm not an invalid. Just leave me alone for now!" she said angrily.

Roger was initially taken aback and then slowly recovered his wits.

"No! I will not! Eleanor, you are going to sit down and I am going to explain a few things that I think you need to know." he said authoritatively

Eleanor looked at him in a state of almost shock. He had never spoken to her this way before and it was a side of him she didn't know existed. As the elevator doors opened on the eighth floor, he followed her out the door and waited as she unlocked her apartment door. She was still nonplussed at his outburst and watched him warily as she took off her coat and hung it on the nearby stand.

"Eleanor, I'm sure you think I'm unaware of what you are going through and to some degree, you are correct. However, let me tell you what I want for you to make this part of your life better; not just for you, but for me as well."

He looked at her carefully as he sat in a large wing chair while she lowered herself onto the sofa. She hadn't said a word since his outburst in the elevator and was curious just what he wanted to say.

"Eleanor, you know I love you very much. You know I will do anything for you. I know these last few weeks have been difficult and if my research is correct, it's going to go on for some time. I've decided that you need some help and that's what I wanted to talk to you about."

"Roger," she finally spoke. "I know you mean well, but how can you possibly help. This is a woman's problem and we have to deal with it ourselves."

"You're wrong. You need my help and let me tell you why and how I can help." he insisted forcefully.

Once again, Eleanor was surprised by his insistent attitude.

"Firstly, you need to get back to your exercise program. You need exercise every day and I'm not just going to be a spectator, I'm going to be there with you. Understood?" he asked.

"Yes." she answered hesitantly.

"Secondly, you need to change your diet for a couple of reasons. It will make your life easier and healthier all at the same time. I will provide you with a list of the appropriate items and the corresponding benefits. We will both adopt this new dietary regime. Understood?"

"Yes." There was a curious look on her face and just the hint of a smile.

"Good. Then you will enjoy the benefits of my being your coach and chief motivator over the next years. I want 'my Eleanor' and I'm going to do everything I can to keep her one of the most beautiful and charming women on this planet. When you have a problem or you aren't feeling well, you will come to Doctor Roger! Understood?"

"Yes, Roger." She was laughing now. She stood and went to him and gingerly sat on his lap. "You aren't going to take any shit from me are you?"

"Not if I can help it. But then, if I do this right, there won't be any to give!" he said with a self-satisfied grin. "Of course, it won't be easy in the beginning ... that is until I have you fully trained."

"What!" She wrapped her arms around his neck in feigned anger. "You are in for quite a time, Roger. I hope you know what you're getting yourself into." With that, she turned her head and kissed him passionately.

"No, not really. But we're partners, Ellie. We share our lives and if I can, I want to make this ... time ... easier for you. But, much of it you will have to do for yourself. I'm just not going to let you give up or let yourself go. You're too important to me.

"So, what should we be having for our evening meal, Doctor Roger?"

"Well, let me have a look in your refrigerator. If necessary, I can always zip down to the market before it closes." He walked into the kitchen and surveyed the cooler and the freezer compartment. "I think we can make do with what's here, Ellie. Allow me to look after it." he said with a confident smile.

"OK, fine with me." Eleanor agreed. She had followed him into the kitchen and was curious what he would prepare from her larder.

"What we need to do, Ellie, is to cut down on fats and carbohydrates. We need to manage our intake of cholesterol and balance our intake; morning, noon and night." he said conversationally.

"By the way, Roger. What kind of a Doctor are you?" she grinned.

"I'm a Doctor of Divinity, Madame. I know when this is all over with, you'll think of me as a god." he answered glibly.

Eleanor laughed heartily. It was the first time she had truly laughed in quite some time. Secretly, she was enjoying this new 'take charge' attitude of Roger's. She knew she needed something to get her motivated and it would seem that Roger had volunteered to give her a kick-start.

Later that night, after the dishes had been done and put away, Eleanor tentatively opened a new line of discussion.

"Roger, you said you've been reading about menopause. I guess you must have read about ... well ... what happens with our sex life?" she asked questioningly.

"Yes. I have." he said looking at her. "I know that there are some things that we need to talk about, so why don't we?" he said seriously.

Roger covered what he had learned about Eleanor's comfort and enjoyment when they were intimate. "You have to talk to me, Ellie. You have to tell what you enjoy and what you don't. I only want to make you happy and satisfied. If you feel I'm not giving you what you need, you have to tell me that. Don't be afraid to tell the truth, dear." he concluded.

Eleanor leaned toward him and put her head on his lap. He bent to kiss her gently and she placed her hand on the back of his neck to hold him in this tender moment. She felt more optimistic than she had in many weeks. She had the support of the man she loved and she knew he had thought very thoroughly about what their future would entail. If he wasn't afraid, there was no reason she should be either. She felt relieved to know that she wouldn't have to face this time alone. It was a feeling that was to last throughout the next five years.

-0-

It was almost two years since Steve Inhalt had left Toronto and headed to the West Coast to start his new life. Roger had been talking to him on the phone weekly and was pleased to hear that Steve had found a piece of property in West Vancouver with a spectacular view and a house that was in need of renovations, but otherwise perfectly situated for him. His son was excited and full of enthusiasm for this project and was back to his former self.

It was early one May Saturday afternoon that the phone rang at Eleanor's apartment. She was just leaving to do a bit of shopping and picked it up rather that letting it go to the answering machine.

"Hello, Eleanor Thompson speaking." she said authoritatively.

"Ellie, it's me, Ev." came the quiet voice.

"Hi Ev, what's up?" she said brightly. She hadn't heard from her sister Evelyn for a couple of weeks.

"Oh, Ellie, it's horrible. I can't believe what's happened. It's horrible." her sister wailed.

"Ev, calm down ... what's horrible?" Eleanor asked firmly.

"It's Julie. She's been raped, Ellie. She's been raped ... at a Grad party. She's in the hospital." Evelyn sobbed.

"Oh, no! That's awful. How is she? Is she going to be all right?" Eleanor asked with deep concern.

"I think so. The doctor thinks so. She was drugged, Ellie. Some guy made her take drugs and then they ... raped her. It's awful ... so horrible." she continued in her strained voice.

"Oh, poor Julie. The poor kid. Oh, Ev. I'm so sorry for her and you. Have the police caught the guy yet?"

"No, but they think they might be able to. They think they know who it was." she said angrily. "Ellie, they think there was more than one of them. She might ... she might have been ... you know ... ganged up on." she sobbed between hesitations. "John's beside himself. I'm afraid he might do something crazy if he gets near them."

"Oh Ev. This is so unfair. This should never have happened to my lovely young Julie. I hope they castrate those bastards!" Eleanor was becoming angrier with each passing minute.

"I have to go to the hospital with John now. We've already talked to the police woman and she was super. She said it wasn't Julie's fault. It was some kind of drug ... she called it a 'Date Rape Drug'. I've never heard of it but the woman said it was getting to be way too common. Anyway, I'm rambling now. I can hardly think straight. I'll call you later and let you know how she's doing, Ellie."

"Give her my love and tell her we're all pulling for her." Eleanor said with tears in her eyes. They signed off and she slowly hung up the phone. All thoughts of her shopping excursion were gone and she sank into the chair by the phone, lost in thought. "What is it about this family that we seem to carry a curse?" she wondered to herself. She sat there for some time before picking up the phone and calling Roger.

She recited the call from her sister and wondered aloud if she should go to Vancouver and support her sister. She could afford the time off, but wondered if she could really help her niece. It was Roger who suggested they both go and even if they only stayed a few days, it would give Roger a chance to see Steve as well as support Ellie with Julie and her family. They decided to leave on Saturday and return the following Saturday. Eleanor booked the tickets the next morning and both took emergency leave for the following week.

Eleanor stayed with John and Evelyn at their house while Roger stayed with Steve in his apartment. They visited Julie every day in the hospital and it was a relief to see her progress each day. She was in some pain internally and it would be some time before she would be physically healed, but both Eleanor and Evelyn recognized that it would be her emotional healing that would be the most difficult.

Later that week, Eleanor spoke to John and Evelyn about having Julie stay with her for a while during her rehabilitation. The change of scenery and the removal of the painful memories would be difficult at best, but more likely if she was far from the scene of the crime. They reluctantly agreed that it would be a last resort if they felt she was not making progress at home. They were nervous about her being so far from them; especially after the trauma she had endured.

-0-

Eleanor and Roger returned home the following Saturday and resumed their new lives. When they weren't together, they met in the lobby just before six thirty each morning and walked to the Avenue2 Fitness Club for their morning workout. They stopped afterwards for a coffee and bran muffin before heading home to shower and get ready to go to work. The differences in Eleanor did not take long to appear. She shed the excess weight fairly quickly and her skin tone returned to its previous smooth beauty. She felt better about her appearance and hence, better about herself. She wouldn't have realized the difference this one step had made in her outlook and as Roger regularly reminded her, she was a strikingly beautiful woman of 56 years.

Doctor Roger persisted in his determination of her diet and physical routine and she was grateful still for his support and guidance. Although she was still a bit temperamental and moody, she still could laugh inwardly at how he persisted in 'managing' her lifestyle while she generally followed his orders. As Roger was prone to say, "Resistance is futile!" It was only in bed that she exercised her authority and they celebrated her rejuvenation. Roger had suggested the Estrogen cream and it turned out to be very helpful in thickening the walls of her Vagina. As her natural lubrication declined, Roger would substitute KY Jelly and they invented interesting ways to apply it to each other. Eleanor and Roger's sexual activity did become more frequent, but also more erratic. Eleanor would have periods of decidedly lower interest, followed by times of heightened desire. Roger learned to ride this surfboard of emotions and was happy that they could still provide intense sexual satisfaction to each other.

Roger, himself, was intensely proud of his role in Eleanor's life with menopause. He was convinced that the exercise and diet regimen were the main reason for smoothing the path for her. He was delighted as well with her general willingness to submit to his disciplined lifestyle changes and happily surrendered to her in the bedroom. Their life together was even better, if that were possible, than it had been before. His only regret was his inability to convince her to marry him. On the other hand, he was intimate with this glorious woman and he had hardly any cause for complaint. Her mood swings were evident, but Roger learned to manage them within himself. He accepted that they were out of her control and that they were not personal attacks on him; merely manifestations of the changes going on within her.

Roger talked to his doctor about Viagra as a method of sustaining his erection. Eleanor's renewed sexual appetite and occasional extra demands on his performance created a need for him to improve his 'staying power'. His doctor reluctantly agreed to a prescription that would permit no more than two 50mg pills per week. It was still a new drug and the doctor was concerned about possible unexpected side effects. If the doctor was concerned, Roger, on the other hand, was delighted. It proved to be the magic elixir that he craved. He could usually anticipate Eleanor's more aggressive sexual moods and with some protracted foreplay to allow the drug to take effect, he could extend their lovemaking with the new blue pill. Eleanor took to calling them her 'V days' and she took full advantage of his rejuvenated powers.

-0-

Four months after the rape, Evelyn called Eleanor and asked for her help. Julie was acting erratically and had exhibited signs of depression. Eleanor immediately suggested Julie come to Toronto to stay with her. John and Evelyn reluctantly agreed and Julie arrived on a Friday afternoon and was met at the airport by Eleanor. They loaded her bags into the cab and Eleanor's regular cab driver helped Julie into the back seat with her Aunt and they were off to her apartment building.

Eleanor was most grateful that Julie was staying with her. It gave her another sense of purpose and something she could focus on for the foreseeable future. They were close and Julie was happy to follow her Aunt's lead. She enrolled in the Avenue2 Fitness Centre for the early morning session that both Eleanor and Roger had been attending. Eleanor took Julie for a full cosmetic makeover and then new clothes. She knew the young girl would need something to keep her occupied for the time that she would be with her and insisted she look for a job. It didn't take Julie long to find a job as a waitress in a breakfast and lunch bar near the fitness centre. She did well and within a few months, was promoted to assistant manager.

Within ten months, she had completely recovered from her horrific experience and her mental outlook and physical condition had improved in leaps and bounds. It wasn't long before she was anxious to return home to North Vancouver. Her stay had not been without some bumps in the road. In the beginning, she was deathly afraid of any relationship with men. Her job, however, had put her in contact with many young men and over time, she began to understand not all of them would treat her the way her attackers had. While she was wary of any serious relationship, she longed for the companionship of boys her own age and this too helped bring her out of her shell.

Eleanor was somewhat sad to see Julie head back to the Coast and knew she would miss her wonderful young niece. While they had a great relationship before she had come to stay with her Aunt, their bond was even stronger and more enduring after the fact. They had shared her fears and joys; her victories and her little losses. They had laughed together when early on, Julie had heard Eleanor and Roger making love. It had been one of Eleanor's more aggressive nights and she had been quite vocal and demanding with Roger. Julie had gotten up to use the bathroom and had overheard some of the vocalizations from the master bedroom and while initially shocked, soon saw the humour in this revelation. The next morning, her little game of "guess what I heard" didn't get very far with her Aunt, but provoked her to tell Julie that this wasn't something she was ashamed of and that she loved Roger and they "celebrated" that love quite often. It was an important lesson and another step in Julie's rehabilitation.

coaster2
coaster2
2,602 Followers
12