Quetzalcoatl Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I thought about going into the woods where I had seen them run from the road, but I had a better idea. The grocery store wasn't too far away and I figured that they would go there to find food. So we got back in the truck and I made for the store.

Less than a quarter of a mile before I had to make the right to the grocery store I pulled the truck over and turned it off. The store was only a hundred yards around the turn up ahead, so I figured I could cut through some houses that backed the store and come in through the woods.

Al Shaba danced out of the pickup. It was the first time that I took her for a ride and she must have thought we were going on a hunt. We were, but not for the type of game she was used to.

I walked down the driveway of one house and then around to the back. I was so used to no one being around that I didn't even think about trespassing. I was well into the backyard when, for some reason, I looked back at the house, and there in one of the back windows were two small faces.

A boy, maybe twelve years old and a little girl, maybe seven were staring back at me. They were African-American, and they looked normal and healthy The little girl even waved to me and automatically I waved back.

Children. I hadn't even thought of children. I knew that small amounts of the population were still around, but these were the first kids I had seen. I wondered if they were all right, when a man, presumably their father, came to the window to see what they were looking at.

When he saw me his eyes widened as if he had seen a ghost. The little girl looked up at him and I could read her lips, "He's got a dog daddy," she said. I knew the man was worried about me, and my intentions, and I didn't want to be viewed as a threat, so I smiled, waved once more and then I turned and headed for the woods.

I disappeared into the brush without looking back. I saw a trail leading in the direction of the store, so I took it and hoped for the best. The trail looked as if it had been well traveled in days gone by. The woods were now just encroaching in on it. In another few years, there would be no trail left.

Al Shaba was running to and fro; first in front of me and then off somewhere else trying to pick up a scent. I wondered who taught her this, because shepherds weren't your usual hunting dogs.

I walked through the path for what seemed like too long, but the path must lead somewhere, I thought. Finally I could see the roof of the store above the trees and then, after a few more yards, I could see the whole store. I was off to one side so I could see the whole back and one side of the building. Behind it was a small lot, with a couple of picnic tables, that was fenced at the far end.

The store was a combination grocery store, gas station and burger joint. In the summer this yard would be lit up at night and filled with tourists eating burgers and fries and drinking shakes. Now it was overgrown with grass growing through the gravel.

I stayed at the edge of the woods and scanned the place with my binoculars. It seemed empty enough, but I took one knee and resolved to wait it out. They could be inside or they might return while I was there. Al Shaba sat down next to me in the grass.

I didn't have to wait long, because two of the zombies walked out of the front and were standing on my side of the building. They were the two zombies who walked into the woods. The dog growled softly so that only I could hear.

They didn't seem too alert and it seemed that they were fighting over some food. I quietly chambered a round into the rifle and slipped off the safety. But I didn't make any attempt to level the gun at them. I needed to see the black guy; the one who was the obvious leader of the group.

But my wait was in vain and after a few minutes I started to worry that these two might get away, so I moved in a crouch to the nearest picnic table. I laid the rifle on the table for support and aimed for the one closest to the store. Al Shaba got up and stood next to me with her head down in the archetypal hunting stance. We were both intent on the prey.

I stopped breathing for a moment, aimed dead center of his chest and fired two shots in succession. I heard the clang of the gun again, and my target blew backwards for a few steps until he hit the floor.

My aim shifted to the next guy, who was starting to flee, and I fired another two shots. He was facing sideways to me and I still hit him at least once, because he spun around and came crashing to the ground. Al shaba took off for them barking all of the way.

It was then that I heard the sounds to the right of me. Even though my ears were humming from the rifle reports I could still hear that someone was running through the gravel. I looked up to see the leader, on top of me, holding a wooden baseball bat in his hands.

Before I could fully react, he swung the Louisville slugger for my head. I was able to move a bit, but he still caught me on the side, just behind the ear. The blow sent me reeling to the ground. Leaving the gun still on the table.

I don't know why he didn't make an attempt for the gun. He could have grabbed it easily, but instead he elected to jump on me. He was only a slight man, but he pinned me down for a second and then he got to his knees to wield the bat and strike at my head again.

I was able to shift my weight and elude the bat twice, but I knew it was only a matter of time before he connected. For some reason I remembered the hunting knife, and after his second blow, I ripped it out of its sheath and lunged at his stomach.

I caught him in the side and he hollered and rolled off of me into the grass. We were both up on our feet at the same time; him holding the bat and me holding the knife. He had the reach, but I had the more deadly weapon; one that was already dripping with his blood.

It was a standoff for a while and I could smell his stink deep in my nostrils, for he was only a yard away from me. But then he made his move. He curled his body like a slugger readying to hit one out of the ball field.

I didn't wait for him to strike, I hit him with my shoulder with all of my might, and I struck him again in the torso with the knife. This time though I sent the blow in and then up. I lifted him up off the ground with my attack, and he fell backwards on to the ground.

That blow obviously did some damage, because he wasn't so quick to get up this time. Al Shaba finally saw what was happening and was running back to us full tilt. We were again in a standoff, but Al Shaba attacked him from behind and he made a run for it.

I immediately made for the mini, dropped the knife on the table, and brought the gun to bear on him. Two shots ripped the top of his head off before he could get twenty yards away. The dog didn't shrink from the gunfire and was standing over him if he made a move. Which was impossible of course.

With the threat gone, I sunk to my knees, exhausted and with a massive headache, but still alive. The dog came over to me and licked my face. "Thanks," I said. "You showed up a little late to the party sister." The dog licked me again as if she knew what I was saying.

I dragged the three bodies into the woods as far as I could. I wasn't digging any more graves and I wasn't giving them a Viking funeral. The scavengers can have at them for all I cared.

I decided to go into the shop while I was here. On the way I noticed the can of food that the two zombies were fighting over. It was a can of dog food. That can't be good, I thought, they're starting to run out of food.

In the grocery I noticed that in fact all of the canned goods were gone. The last time I was here there were still some left. I looked around to see if there was anything we could use.

I picked up a couple of thing that we might be able to use and then I went around one aisle and found some fabrics presumably for people who like to sew. Amongst all of the needles and cloth was a roll of velvet ribbon. It was an inch and a half wide and the spool held six feet. My evil mind thought of a couple of uses for it.

I immediately went for the first-aid aisle. I stocked up on bandages, antiseptics, and a particular water based lubricant. I was all set.

When I got out I opened a can of dog food that I pilfered and fed Al Shaba. She hadn't eaten yet today. It was a beautiful morning and it was time to go home. Mom would be worried.

I made my way back to the truck on the road. I didn't want to come through the guy's back yard again; unannounced. Al Shaba caught up to me as soon as she finished her breakfast.

As I turned the corner of the road I could see my truck in the distance. There was also a man standing by the truck. I unslung the mini and made sure there was a round in the chamber. I slung it back over my shoulder and continued. I had an idea who the man was.

When I got close enough I realized that I was right. It was the man who I had seen in the house with the children. He was standing in front of the truck kicking the dust on the road.

"Hey," he said, as I got close.

"Hey," I answered him back. Al Shaba stood off to my right. She didn't seem to be alarmed.

"Are you Ed?"

"Yeah. How did you know my name?"

"I speak with Luke on the radio every night. He said that you might be out here hunting down those zombies."

"Oh yeah. What else did he tell you?"

"That you live around here with a beautiful woman."

"Are those your kids?" I changed the subject.

"Duane and Lorelei? Yeah, those are mine."

"Those are the first kids that I have seen since Quetzalcoatl hit. I can't believe that they survived the flu?"

"They didn't get the flu."

"They didn't get it?"

"No, and neither did I."

"You're immune?"

"Seems like it."

"And you were all exposed?"

"Yeah. We all tended to their mother before she died. We watched everyone around us die and I figured that we were next, but we never once got sick. It's kind of a relief to know that you aren't going to die in front of your kids."

"Anyone else immune?"

"No. It's kind of funny, but my folks and my sister died in a car crash two years ago. So you see, my family died before Quetzalcoatl even hit. But there are other kids around. As long as the girls didn't hit puberty before Quetzalcoatl, and the boys did, they had a chance. You know the disease is totally gone now. There hasn't been a reported case in weeks."

I immediately thought of Damian and I wondered if he was still out on his boat. "Well that's good to hear. I better be going now. I have to get home."

"Can I ask you a question first?"

"What?"

"Did you kill all of those zombies?"

I took a couple of seconds before I answered him. "Yeah."

"Then I need to thank you,. I don't know what those zombies would have done to my little girl if they found her."

"They attack children?"

"You hear all kinds of stories. They say Pato Azul will kill a little girl's family and take her away to his harem."

We were silent for a few seconds. "That immunity you have, you don't think it's a race thing?"

"You mean just black folk?"

"Yeah."

"Nah, I've seen just as many black folk die as anyone else. And Africa got hit just as hard as Europe. It would be ironic though, after all that has happened, for the black man to inherit the earth."

"So the last shall be first," I recited as best I could.

"And the first shall be last." We both smiled at each other.

"I better get going," I said as I walked for my truck.

"Hey," he yelled to me.

"What?"

"Did you know that you were bleeding?

"No. Where?"

"On the side of the head." I put my hand where the zombie hit me and sure enough there was some blood, but not much.

"So I am," I said as I continued to the truck. Al Shaba jumped into the truck as soon as I opened the door. She was my dog now, although I think that she liked mom better. I threw my gear in and jumped in after it.

I made a u-turn and left the man in the dust. You know, I thought, I didn't even ask his name.

12