Quincunx Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Who lives there?" I asked, pointing.

"That's the wizard's house, where Grobner's group we slaughtered. Their souls are still said to be trapped there."

That was three generations back, the last major rebellion if I remembered from one of the books I'd read.

"Souls fade when the body dies," I said, quoting my belief.

"People hereabouts won't go near it, even I cross the road twice to avoid it. You get a funny feeling type tingle if you get real up close."

Hers sounded like the voice of experience. It made the place even more intriguing.

"What's with this tower then?" I said, wandering over to look the opposite way.

"This used to be the palace. From here the astronomers of old would plot the sky and look for signs of wonder. You can use the setting sun as your focus, if you sit on the plinth." She gave a wave of her arm, inviting me to walk over to it.

I sat on the edge.

"No, sit right on and cross your legs. We should have brought a cushion because you have to be comfortable." She directed me till I was back against the tripod and staring with my eyes closed at the still bright sun a hand above the horizon yet.

Next was the breathing. As the sun provided warmth, the air was the essence of life, feeling it go in and out and flood my body with energy, slow deep breaths as I let the sun be my focus. I let the sun and the warmth on my face chase my thoughts away, withering them with inattention and disinterest as I found stillness filling my mind.

She shook me as twilight fell, the sun now only a finger or so left showing.

"We'd better get down before dark. You looked like it worked; the sun's moved an hour in the sky and you were sitting still with a peaceful look on your face."

"I feel stiff all over," I answered back as I unfolded and stretched cramped muscles.

"But your mind feels rested?"

My mind felt mostly normal. I felt the freshness of a satisfying sleep, an alertness with maybe a better edge. I wondered what I should expect. I was pleased she seemed pleased as it seemed I'd made some progress.

"A little less fuzzy, maybe, but, no, not really."

"Well, for a first time I think you may have mastered the basics. You've done a lot better than I thought you would. It may be part of your gift."

I smiled at her as I stood. "Do the cramps get easier?"

"I've got a liniment for that if you want. Just rub it in before and after. You can have it when we get back."

She lifted the trapdoor and we descended into the gathering gloom, the floor with the east windows showing a purple sky with the first few twinkles of the brightest stars showing. The candles were already lit when we got home. Bemnie was sitting, legs on the table and an extra cushion wedged in behind her.

"Oh, I'd hoped you were Curromo. She's taking her time," she said disappointedly as she stirred with our entrance.

"Where've you pair been?" she asked, sitting up straight, feet back on the floor.

"She's been showing me the sights. There's a splendid view from the old tower."

"Oh, that old place, I used to sit up there and chew phem. That was when I was learning to do imagination," she said, her smile no doubt turned inward at her reminisce of that time.

She caught my interest at the mention of phem, another new thing that sounded a likely tool to pick up on this magical mystery tour. I'd follow through on that with Xentha later. We joined her and sat, or at least I did; Xentha half sat then stood as she asked me, "Do you want cofftea?"

In all honesty, I wanted some quiet time in my room to read more of the book. Whoever had conjured that spell on it so long ago had meant it to go undiscovered. I suspected that it was a book on the old magic, one that had escaped the destruction of the proscription.

"If there's one made. I've got some reading to do before I see my tutor tomorrow."

"Tutorials on a Sapsday? That's a bit unfair," Bemnie said sympathetically. "Three out of five is enough."

"It's five out of five for farming. Days off are a new luxury to me," I said wistfully.

"Fresh cofftea in a minute," Xentha shouted over from the kitchen area.

The door behind me opened.

"Curromo!" Bemnie exclaimed, leaping to her feet.

"Bemnie, Davor, Xentha," she greeted us, a big smile on her face as she walked over.

"Are you ready then?" she asked of Bemnie as she came to a stop and gave her a hug.

"I've been waiting ten minutes, you cheeky thing," Bemnie retorted as she returned the hug.

As they started to leave, Curromo turned to me.

"Don't forget the locatheot, it's the ..." her grin became a giggle, "... second best thing for sleeping."

My eyes did a quick flick to see if Xentha'd heard but she looked to be busy pouring the water. As I looked back, they walked off, beginning to talk to each other. Xentha spent another minute or so fussing with the cofftea before walking over with two cups.

She dragged details of my life back home from me, my family, my friends, my relationship to Webberli. She followed Bemnie's example and rested her legs on the table, skirt hanging from her knees, tempting me to try to sneak a peek.

I finished my cofftea and stood, excusing myself with the need to study, and walked back to my room via the sink for my cup. While I stood a moment, rinsing it, I wondered what Rash was doing, the request from Calorissa and Curromo flashing through my mind. I still had my sword as an excuse to go back.

"See you later," I said rhetorically as I entered my room.

12