Ravenswood Ch. 04

Story Info
Morey's Bar.
3k words
4.67
5.2k
5

Part 4 of the 14 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 09/26/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is the fourth chapter of this series, one that continues to put a different, more Sci-Fi spin on the age-old vampire myth.

Because it's science fiction there are aliens, good ones and bad ones, and yes, the good ones are here to stand against those who would suppress the more fragile human race, but they don't appear yet, have faith, they'll show up in chapter 5, Maura, the lead character, just has to deal with a few adjustments to her world view, landing on Earth was a big one, bloodlust another. While there still is no actual sex in this chapter, there is a lot of action to keep you occupied, be patient, it'll happen.

This chapter could be rated PG-13 for action, but I still like to caution my readers. I hope you enjoy it, leave a comment once you've read it. Good feedback is the lifeblood of any writer...dreamweaver594.

4- Morey's Bar

Near sunset the at the end of the following week, Maura left the corner market up the street from Morey's Bar carrying a couple of small bags filled with the few groceries she could afford having borrowed a few dollars from Natasha as she still didn't have the necessary paperwork in hand to complete her application.

Morey's was a local watering hole where most of the college kids around that part of town liked to hang out. It was just far enough from campus to feel like it was an oasis all on its own, and yet close enough for anyone to find a friend.

Her backpack was slung over one shoulder and her blade, still shrouded in a velvet bag and bound to the backpack, was slung next to it. The cravings that sent her into a tailspin last Friday were still lingering, but not as strong at the moment. She was still in a quandary about how to handle that, now on Earth.

She stopped a moment and wondered if Jason was in Morey's. He told her once that he liked to hang out there. She remembered him telling her how comfortable he felt there. "It sort of felt a little bit like a tavern we have back home," he said.

Where was his home, she wondered? He never told her. He didn't seem like a city dweller; maybe the mountains or a small village nestled between them. She hadn't spoken to him since that incident Friday afternoon, at the apartment building. She hoped that he was okay and that what happened didn't screw things up between them. This week was spring break, school was closed and she did see Jason at all. She walked by the apartment complex a couple of times but didn't see him outside. Actually, Natasha was gone too; she left for her home in Latvia during spring break last Sunday. The workroom was rather lonely with everybody gone; even Mrs. Williams and Mrs. Warren kept a holiday schedule.

Then a fleeting thought entered her mind. She heard her father's voice again. "Look for the dark ones, Maura, the ones whose hearts have been twisted and perverted by the shadow of greed; they are the ones who prey upon their fellow humans. They are the ones who must be cleansed." Why did that come to mind? Suddenly she felt her urges rise.

Maura's reverie was broken by a giggle from a young woman who had just emerged from the bar. She walked a bit unsteady and stumbled once as she stopped to adjust her high-heeled shoes. Several others emerged just after her. Two of them appeared to be her friends. "Hey Sally, you going to be alright?"

In the dim light she nodded and smiled.

They pointed in the opposite direction. "We have to go this way. You okay?"

"I'm fine, I'm just parked over there," she said, with a slight slur to her speech and pointing in the opposite direction, "It was fun tonight, let's do it again next week."

Maura stood at the corner. Stupid girl, she's too vulnerable.

Sally teetered on her heels as she moved down the sidewalk towards a car parked near an alley. Out of the alley, two men appeared and blocked her path, both of them looked haggard and dressed like some of the guys she'd seen in the shelters. One look in their eyes revealed their intent.

"Hey cutie, what are you doing out here so late? Huh?" Their sweaty faces pushed closer to the young woman. "Why don't you come with us, baby?" The larger one grabbed her arm. "Yeah, we can have some fun,"

"Leave me alone, asshole! Don't touch me!" the shorter m said, leering.

The shorter man jerked her arm toward the alley. "Stop your hurting me!" Although she shouted, Sally's friends had already turned the corner and were gone.

Maura walked down the sidewalk and leaned against a nearby building across from the young woman and her two assailants. Damn it, I shouldn't get involved, especially not in public, but I hate rape. Maybe they'll just rough her up, a little robbery, nothing too much. She dropped her bags and pack on the ground near her feet. The scene unfolding in front of her seemed a curiosity at first, then, her senses flaring, the smell of the darkness stirred her blood. Crap, they're going to rape her, she could feel it, her cravings returned with a vengeance, and she craved their blood.

The two men grabbed the young woman and pulled her further into the alley as she screamed in protest. One of them pulled his pants down as the other began to tear off the young woman's skirt.

"Stop, please, don't hurt me! Oh God, what are you doing? Nooo!"

The hand of the man who tore her skirt off pinned her to the ground. His other hand muffled the last of her screams. With her dress torn to shreds the bigger of the two men began to force her legs apart. Both men laughed at her struggles.

Further up the street Jason turned the corner and recognized Maura leaning against a brick wall. He was about to shout to her when he heard a young woman's muffled voice pleading not to be hurt. In that instant he watched Maura cross the street in a blur to disappear into an alley. Seconds later a man flew, literally flew, across the street arms flaying out of control, and slammed into a building several feet off the ground. He slumped to the sidewalk below with a thud, unconscious.

Jason ran down the street to stand where Maura stood only moments before. The unconscious man looked like a lump of trash heaped against the wall. In the alley he couldn't believe what he was seeing.

The young woman was lying limp on the ground weeping uncontrollably as Maura held her assailant off the ground with a single hand. He was clearly more than twice her weight yet she held him up as if he was weightless. She had a vice-like grip on his neck and her nails dug into his throat attempting to pinch off his windpipe. He struggled weakly like a limp rag doll in her grip. Then she slowly lowered him towards her mouth.

Lit only by a single back door light bulb, the alley was filled with shadows making it hard for Jason to make out any details. But as she lowered the struggling man towards her mouth a glint of something long, sharp, and pearly white appeared in her smile.

"Maura?" Jason whispered in the eerie silence that surrounded the scene.

Maura turned to Jason standing at the entrance of the alley. His face was white. She could sense his fear. Still holding the thug in her hand she looked back at the gasping cretin. Holy Blood, no, not you Jason! Why here, why now? She didn't ever want him to see this! Damn, I can smell his fear. Maura tried to silence his mind, to cloud his memory. But nothing happened. Why couldn't she? Why didn't she have any control over him? He was human wasn't he?

"Oh Jason, I'm so sorry," she whispered softly. Maura turned away from him and dropkicked the thug with all her might. He sailed down the alley and landed in a pile of trash bags and garbage cans with a loud crash and thud. Then, in a blur, she jumped to the end of the alley, turned the corner and was gone.

Jason ran down the alley to the stand above the thug lying unconscious in a pile of trash. He was still breathing, faintly; blood was seeping from the scratch marks on his neck. "It's probably more than you deserve, dirt bag," he muttered as he turned and walked back up the alley towards the trembling young woman.

Above him, from the roof of the building, Maura stood watching as Jason walked back to the young woman. She felt dread in her heart, she knew she must have lost him, there was no way he would mistake her actions for anything other than what they were. Damn it all. One of the two friends she had in this world and he had to see her like this! Why did she have to be so careless? Stupid bloodlust, it ruined everything.

Jason pulled out his cellphone and punched in some numbers. Kneeling down, he pulled the young woman into his arms and tried to comfort her until help arrived.

At least that woman was getting his help. She was so stupid; she didn't deserve his kindness, still anything was better than rape. Maura quietly slipped back into the shadows and waited.

After the ambulance left with Jason and the young woman, Maura dropped down from the roof of a nearby building and walked slowly towards the semi-conscious man still lying sprawled in a heap of trash bags.

The heels of her boots clicked rhythmically against the concrete of the alley floor. She was in no hurry; he wasn't going anywhere. As she walked closer to him, Maura's nose was filled with the odor of rotting garbage along with a vile stench that emanated from the man's aura. This was obviously what her father was talking about, a rotten human.

She bent over, sat him up, and held his face in her hands. She wasn't even sure if he was worth cleansing. She slapped him twice to bring him around. Then she probed into his mind, gathering up all the rotten memories he ever had of women who he'd raped or sodomized. She wrapped them into a neat little bundle and tied them off so that he would never have access to them again. She projected a thought into the recesses of his mind. "From now on, scum, the little thing between your legs will be useless, even to your own hand."

Then she opened her mouth and brought his throat up to her. Her fangs pierced his skin and sank deep into his neck. Like syringes, they drew out his tainted blood, as vile as the aura that surrounded him. He squirmed as she drew his blood out of him. He repulsed her so much it nearly made her wretch.

His blood flowed into her veins allowing her to absorb his corrupted essence and transformed it. She cleansed him even though he repulsed her; because she knew she must; and because she didn't want him to harm another.

"Just cleanse them, don't kill them," her father's words echoed in her mind.

She wanted him to whither before her, but that wasn't what she was supposed to do.

She didn't kill him, she could have, she even wanted to, but she didn't. When she finished, she dropped him back into the trash where he belonged. She wiped her mouth with her hand, turned, and slowly ascended the alley to the street above.

Her bags were gone. Who took them, even her sword? Damn it. Hopefully Jason had them but that brought another fear into her heart. Now she needed to find out if she had to flee once again and the only one who could answer that question was Jason.

Maura slipped through the open front doors into the empty foyer of Trenton Apartments. This was the only place she knew he might be. She moved quietly towards a hallway that led to a service entrance marked 'custodial' and opened the door slowly. The hinges creaked in protest.

Inside, Jason sat at a workbench and fiddled with a light socket on an ancient bronze light fixture. He let out a sigh as if the weight of the world was pressing down on his shoulders.

"That's a pretty big sigh," Maura said, opening the door wider and leaning against the doorframe. "Is the girl alright?"

He didn't seem to flinch when she spoke. There was a camera monitor above his workbench with a still image of the front door. He knew she was coming. She smiled subtly. It was a good sign, given what he'd witnessed earlier, that he didn't run.

Rather than turn around, he concentrated on his repair. "Yes. They took her over to Saint Mary's. She only had a few cuts and bruises. It'll probably take a lot longer for the psychological scars to heal. Fucking bastards."

Maura stepped through the doorway and leaned against the wall. "Did they ask any questions?"

Jason nodded but still didn't turn around. "Some. I gave them a 'John Doe' and told them that me and another guy from the bar, whom I didn't know, drove off the attackers with baseball bats and clubs. They bought it well enough."

"I see. So you didn't mention..." Her voice trailed off into a whisper.

He shook his head and turned towards her. "Nope. And I promise I won't tell anyone else either."

Maura let go of the breath she held as she closed the workshop door. She sat on a stool across the room from him and waited to see if he was going to say more. Then, she stood up suddenly and started to walk towards him. "I'm sorry Jason." She could sense that he tensed up as she walked into the room, she paused, and then back up to seek the temporary comfort of a metal stool against the wall.

"What's done is done." Jason hesitated. "Not all guys are like that, Maura."

"I know, I just...well, I guess I just got carried away. Rape really pisses me off."

He pivoted to her on his stool. "Okay, sure, I understand." He took a big breath then slowly released it. "Maura, you've got to be more careful. If somebody else saw what you did tonight you'd have to answer a lot of difficult questions." He held her gaze sternly then turned back to his workbench.

She nodded slowly. "I know...I'm sorry." She paused in thought. But, why aren't you asking those same questions? Did he know about her? What did he really see? Maybe it was just her imagination.

She sat on her stool and they remained in silence for several minutes, then she stood and turned to leave.

Jason turned his head around to grin at her. "You know, you really are amazing." He chuckled as he turned back and shook his head slowly. "I mean you really kicked that guy's ass. I need to remember to stay on your good side from now on."

Maura turned back to him; her expression was serious. "Jason, please believe me, you're my friend. I would never willingly hurt you like that. Never, ever."

He picked up a screwdriver and pushed against a fitting on the disassembled lamp. "Do you need a ride home? I know you can handle yourself but still, it sounds like it might rain."

She shook her head. "No, that's okay, I'm not staying too far from here."

He adjusted a loose screw. "Really? Where?"

"Oh, here and there. With what I get paid at the library the cost of everything is a challenge, I can't afford much, so I mostly crash at friend's places." She averted his eyes, not wanting to admit that she had few friends still on Earth, and the places she mentioned were actually vacant buildings or abandoned cars when she could find them.

Jason scooted around on his stool. "A vagabond's life, eh? Damn, that's lousy." He gestured wide. "Look, as soon as you can afford it I'd be glad to help you find a place of your own. Just let me know, okay? Crashing at random apartments can be dangerous, especially for a girl."

He stood and walked over to a locker across the room. He pulled out the backpack and groceries she left on the sidewalk outside of Morey's along with a narrow, velvet covered bag. He held them out for Maura. "Here, I found these on the sidewalk. You left in such a hurry you probably forgot them."

Maura took several steps towards him and she could, once again, sense his body tensing up. She reached out and took the bags that Jason offered then stepped back. "Thanks. Jason, are we okay? You and me?"

Jason took a long look at Maura's face then he suddenly brightened. "Yeah, sure, we're fine. See you Monday in class; we have a test that day, right?"

She smiled meekly and nodded.

Jason turned back to his workbench and resumed his repair of the broken light fixture. "Just be safe, all right?"

Stunned, she paused a moment on the way out of his workshop door. "Thanks, I will."

Those words "be safe" hit her like a ton of bricks as she slung the backpack across her shoulder and walked into the lobby. Her father said those words to her every day before he left for work. 'Be safe.' He even said it the day she watched him die.

A NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR:

The author copyrights Ravenswood and all of its parts. The reproduction of any part of Ravenswood without the written permission of the author is expressly prohibited. This story is a work of fiction. All of the characters, their names and the places they visit, are purely from the imagination of the author. Any resemblance to persons, places, or things is not intentional and purely coincidental.