Ravenswood Ch. 11

Story Info
The General Store.
1.9k words
4.7
4.9k
5

Part 11 of the 14 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 09/26/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Here's the next chapter of this series, sorry it's a short one but in the grand scheme of things it sort of works as to explain a few things and set up later moments that will become all too clear very soon. Also, because this is a science fiction story, there are aliens, good ones and bad ones, and yes, the good ones are here to stand against those who would subjugate the more physically fragile human race.

In this chapter Maura continues to learn that Ravenswood isn't really a 'pollyanna' world, there are those who harbor ill feelings towards her, but because of what she fears. Besides, the people that surround her, Vera, Lisa and others, love her as part of their world very much.

I hope you enjoy the read, leave a comment once you've read it. Good feedback is the lifeblood of any writer...dreamweaver594.

11-The General Store

The bike ride from Vera's cottage to the little store that Maura visited when she first came to Ravenswood was a pleasant journey. They rode across the rolling fields and through the forest that surrounded the tiny village.

It was a beautiful fall day. The air was crisp with the scent of turning leaves and new mown hay being put up for the coming winter filled the air. The sights and smells of Earth almost overwhelmed her, it was so sweet and sensual compared to the arid nature of her home planet. Why would anyone want to ever live anywhere else but here?

They rounded a corner and there it stood, just like she remembered. "This place is so cute!" Maura had a whimsical lilt in her voice.

Jason laughed as they pulled up to the side of the building. "Don't let old man Caruthers hear you say that, he prides himself on his 'curmudgeoness,' if that's a word. And the thought that his place looks cute or quaint will set him off like a firecracker. Course sometimes it is fun to do it, I will admit. But let's give him a bye today."

Maura grinned from ear to ear. "Okay." It was times like these when she loved Jason the most. He was just so easy going and fun to be with. They walked their bikes over to the side of the porch and leaned them against the building. They turned to walk around to the front porch but stopped when they heard two men talking in the front.

An old man moved his checker piece across the board in short jumps. "King me." He paused a moment then added. "I heard that two more Terrians got through the other day."

His partner grumbled as he put a second checker atop the first. "Just like the ones before, they always seem to come in pairs, but from different parts of the weave. It's like they're directed to the weak points."

The first man reached over and lifted a pint of beer, took a swallow and wiped his lips. "They seem to be finding them everywhere. Four more scout teams were sent out yesterday. It's like we're patching holes in a leaky dam. If this keeps up the whole village will be pressed into service."

"There has to be someone letting them through," his partner replied.

Maura turned to Jason, there was no escaping what confronted her and she knew she couldn't keep running away from the issue. "Jason I just have to face up to the fact that people will have a hard time accepting me until they know me." She set her jaw firmly and put her arm through his. "Let's go in."

Jason nodded and whispered to her as she walked up to him. "You know, you really are beautiful when you're determined."

A little smile crept across her face. Her neck flushed crimson as they headed for the front steps. She wanted to smile and flash a little fang at them but that would probably have made matters worse. They were harmless, funny old codgers, as Lisa would say. The thought amused her as she passed by the old men, chuckling to herself.

Thankfully, her mood changed once she walked inside the store. It was festooned in fall garlands and harvest colors. There were displays of freshly canned preserves next to of all sorts of hand made candies and mints; a sign above each row indicated the maker of the homemade jams. In the center of the large store was a display rack of new coats, scarves and mittens. Everything seemed to sparkle and shine. Maura felt like she was in shopper's heaven.

She danced about the store like a kid in a candy shop, flying from one display to another. She was the epitome of unbridled joy.

Jason laughed at her antics. "What do you want to buy, Maura?"

"Oh, there's so much, I can't decide. Maybe a coat because I don't really have one and you said winter around here can be brutal."

"Yep, so now is a good time to buy one." He turned to walk back to another area in the store. "I need to find some bike oil over in hardware. I'll be back in a moment."

"Okay." Maura was quickly lost in thought as she compared three different coats at the same time.

Someone facing away from Maura murmured to her softly. "It's hard to choose isn't it?"

"Yes, it is." Maura replied while only half paying attention.

The woman, facing away from Maura, returned a jar to a shelf and turned to her. Maura recognized her from the ceremony the other night. "Perhaps you should consider the longer coat. It's better for someone not used to the heavy snows we get in Ravenswood," Xylia murmured, handing Maura a long wool coat, with a crocodile smile.

It was the first time Maura met her since the night of her induction. "Mistress Xylia, so nice to see you again." Maura wondered about the odd expression on her face.

She took the coat offered; it was a long double-breasted woolen coat with large buttons down the front. "So the longer coats are better against heavy snows? But how are they to fight in?" She grabbed a broom and moved about the store as if she was thrusting with her sword. The coat seemed to inhibit her movement; especially the overhead cuts.

Yaol's daughter Grace slipped from behind another rack to stand and watch.

Xylia tried to hide her smirk. "It looks fine to me, but I'm not much of a swordsman."

"I think you just look stupid." Grace glared at Maura.

Maura turned abruptly and dropped the broom handle. Grace's words continued to echo in her mind.

Xylia turned to Grace with newfound interest. "Why would you say that?"

"Because she's just trying to show off for Jason." She sneered menacingly, "even though he's not even here to watch. You should put your little toy away leech, before you break something."

L-e-e-c-h! The word reverberated in her mind. It was the first time someone from the village, or anywhere, had used such a vile word to describe her. Her face burnt hot and she looked fiercely at Grace while Xylia seemed slightly amused.

At that moment, Jason reappeared from the hardware section. "Grace! Apologize this instant!" He turned from Xylia back to Grace. "I've heard lots of foul words fall out of your mouth little girl, but that was the most vile."

Grace turned and glared at Jason. Maura watched the play of emotions across her face. First it was anger then embarrassment and finally pain and hurt. She burst into tears and ran out of the store.

"Grace! Come back here this instant and apologize!" Jason turned to glare at Xylia who seemed to be really enjoying this little dust up. "And you, Mistress Rega, why didn't you put a stop to this before it got this far?"

"Oh, Jason," Xylia Rega cooed as she walked over to him and put her hand on his shoulder. "It was just a little spat, it doesn't mean anything. I'm sure that Grace has forgotten all about it by now. It would be wise for you to do the same." Xylia brushed her fingers along Jason's chin and walked past him out the front door.

Maura stood alone, holding the long woolen coat. All the joy and happiness of the previous moment was gone as tears streamed down her face..

Jason crossed his arms in a huff. "Damn it to hell. That stupid bitch didn't lift a finger."

Maura stood humiliated. "Who, Grace?"

Jason slammed the bike oil down on a nearby counter. "No. Xylia. Grace is a child; at least she acts like one most times. She says hurtful things that she always regrets later. Xylia Rega is an elder. She knows better. I don't understand that." Jason walked over and hugged Maura then he kissed her cheek.

Maura wiped her eyes. She didn't like Xylia, and her feelings continued to grow.

"Did you find a coat you like?" He asked as if to shift the mood.

"Huh? Oh, yes, this one. I think. Mistress Xylia recommended it but it sort of cramps my style with a weapon. What do you think?"

Jason pulled out a long leather coat that was belted at the waist and very tailored. He looked at the label then handed it to Maura. "Here, try this one on, its your size."

Maura exchanged it for the woolen one and slipped it on. She moved gracefully about the store slashing at imaginary foes with her broom handle. The supple leather seemed to hug her body and didn't restrict her movements. As she moved swiftly from aisle to aisle a smile slowly returned to her face.

"Yes! This one is great." But her smile was suddenly replaced with shock when she looked at the price tag. "I can't afford this!"

"But I can. Call it a celebration present for being inducted into the guardian guild."

They gathered their purchases and stuffed them into the baskets on the front of their bikes. The journey back to Vera's was peaceful, although Grace's words still lingered in her mind. She set her jaw as they rounded a corner in the lane, she would just have to settle this with Yaol's daughter, there was something at the bottom of all of this, young girls don't just have such strong feelings without something driving it.

Jason looked back and almost caught her grimace. She smiled sweetly and nodded, the bike ride was a perfect choice for both of them. The weather was delightful and the ride gave her time to think.

She pedaled her bike faster and caught up with Jason. He was such a wonderful man; perhaps it was fate, perhaps not. Regardless, she was glad she met him; glad he became such an important part of her life. Lisa and Vera were part of her life, too, but her love for Jason ran deeper.

She smiled at that thought, what would she ever do without him?

A NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR:

The author copyrights Ravenswood and all of its parts. The reproduction of any part of Ravenswood without the written permission of the author is expressly prohibited. This story is a work of fiction. All of the characters, their names and the places they visit, are from the imagination of the author. Any resemblance to persons, places, or things is not intentional and purely coincidental.