Recovery of a Hero Ch. 17

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Roadbug
Roadbug
120 Followers

"Easy for you to say," said Uncle Dar.

I looked at his face and saw his eyes open.

"I think I have a cracked rib or two and it hurts like hell right now. Can't breath well."

He closed his eyes again but didn't seem to loose consciousness again.

I don't remember what I said, but I kept talking to Uncle Dar. While I was doing this, the ambulance pulled up. Two men got out with their equipment and ran over.

The police man told them about the vest and that Uncle Dar thought he had broken ribs. They went back and got the gurney and brought it over.

One said to Uncle Dar, "We don't want to take that vest off until we get you to the hospital. It might cause more damage if you have broken bones under it.

Uncle Dar said, "Well how bout a smoke? I think one more is coming to the party and we need to wait for him. I'm not coughing up blood, so I'm good for a few minutes."

The medic said, "We need to get you to the hospital as soon as possible. We can't wait."

Uncle Dar said, "I refuse treatment. Go away."

The two medics shrugged their shoulders and backed off to the ambulance.

I said to Uncle Dar, "You really need to go. What if you're hurt worse. I don't want you to die, so go to the hospital. Please."

He said, "Need to talk to Reach first. I'm not dying yet so don't worry. Smoke please."

I got out a cigarette for him but couldn't find his lighter. I asked the cop for a light and he gave me his.

While Uncle Dar was smoking, Inspector Reach drove up.

He got out of the car, walked over and asked Uncle Dar, "How bad?"

"Hurts, couple ribs. Tell the ambulance crew where to take me. Secure. They were after Sally. Said they did the pool too."

Inspector Reach said, "OK. I'll have them take you to the Navy facility in Everett. They have a small medial clinic there and I can have some guards there too."

"Marine," said Uncle Dar. "Tell George and get him there. After all of them."

While they were talking, I saw Erica walk up to the alley. I got up and ran up to her still crying. She grabbed me in a hug and asked, "What happened?"

I told her the story while we walked back to Uncle Dar. When I finished, Uncle Dar said, "Call George again. Tell him Everette Navy base. Erica's with us."

Inspector Reach had the medics put Uncle Dar on the gurney while I was telling George. When I finished, I went to get into the ambulance. The medic in back said, "You can't ride back here."

I said, "He got shot saving my life. I'm going with him."

The medic said, "No. I can' let a minor in here unless they're a patient."

I said, "If I can't ride back here then you aren't either. I climbed in and sat next to Uncle Dar. "I'm going with him no matter what."

The medic just stuck his head out the back and said, "I've got the girl. Lets go."

He closed the doors and moved back next to Uncle Dar on the other side.

I grabbed Uncle Dar's hand and held on during the ride. I don't know how long it took but I didn't let go. I just sat there holding his hand and crying.

We got to the clinic and unloaded Uncle Dar. I stayed with him still holding his hand.

They took him into an examining room and cut his shirt off, Underneath it he had on a heavy looking vest. I remembered what the cop had said. A bullet proof vest. It looked thick and heavy to wear.

The doctor and the nurses helped Uncle Dar take it off and put it on a chair. The Doctor told me, "We have to take x rays and you can't stay with him for that. I'll let you stand with the x ray technician if you want, though. You'll be right with him."

I told Uncle Dar and said, "I'll be right there. I'm not leaving you."

Uncle Dar opened his eyes and said, "I know. You've told the whole world by now. Don't worry, I've been hurt worse. I'm not dying, just in pain for the moment. Broken ribs hurt."

Looking at the bruise on his chest, I winced and said, "I believe you. You have a bruise the size of my hand."

"At least it ain't a hole this time," he said. "I hate getting shot."

I could believe that. The bruise was purple and bigger than my hand. I couldn't see where the ribs were broken, but I'm not a doctor either. I just hoped that he didn't have a punctured lung or other organ.

When they pushed the gurney to the x ray room, I followed. While I waited outside the room I saw Inspector Reach come in with Erica.

They saw me and I waved them over. When they got to me, I told them that Uncle Dar was getting x rays to see how bad he was hurt.

Uncle Dar looked up and saw Inspector Reach and motioned for him to come into the room. They talked for a bit then Inspector Reach made a phone call on his cell phone.

He talked for a few minutes, and then went over to the doctor and handed him the phone. The doctor talked for a while and then handed back the phone and went to talk to Uncle Dar. I don't know what they were saying but the doctor came out and told us that we had to go to the waiting room for a bit.

I said to him, "But you said I could stay with the x ray technician while Uncle Dar was in here. I want to stay."

The Doctor said, "I just talked to someone that told me to isolate the patient for now. I can't tell you who he is, but he has enough rank to make that an order. You have to go to the waiting room."

I didn't like it, but knowing what happened after Uncle Dar made his phone call the day that CPS woman tried to take Ellen and Nancy away, I decided not to argue.

When we got to the room, Erica asked it we could have something to drink. I didn't feel thirsty, but I didn't argue with her. The nurse who had shown us the way to the waiting room went and got Erica a cup of Coffee and a cup of tea for me.

I sipped it and I realized that I really was thirsty.

While Erica and I sat there drinking our beverages, Janny and George came in with Ellen and Nancy. The were each holding the hands of one of the girls when they did.

I could see that Janny, Ellen and Nancy had all been crying when they came in. Ellen and Nancy ran over to me and asked, "Hows Daddy? Is he going to be all right? Please, is he going to be all right?"

I started crying again, and said, "I don't know. They've got him in x ray now but they said we had to wait here and haven't told us anything since. Inspector Reach is with him and thats all I know for sure, but he said he had broken ribs."

Janny asked me, "What happened?"

I said, "We were getting some gifts for you and George for your anniversary. He wanted to get you a bottle of champagne. While he was in the liquor store, four men grabbed me and dragged me into the alley next to the store. They said they were going to kill me."

"They said that I should have drowned when in the pool and that since I didn't, they were going to make me hurt," I continued. "The one holding me had a knife. Then Uncle Dar told them to let me go. Three of them pulled out knives and attacked him and he killed them with his bare hands. It happened so fast that I don't even know what he did."

George said, "It's all right. You didn't do anything wrong."

"They said the whole family," I said. "I think they were after all of us for some reason."

I heard Inspector Reach say, "They were. We've been investigating the deaths of your parents since the car wreck. That was no accident either, I'm sorry to say. You weren't told because of security reasons but we didn't think they'd come after you until the pool incident. We've tried to keep an eye on you since, but I'm real short handed."

Janny screamed, "NOT AN ACCIDENT? When were you going to tell us that our parents were murder victims? Why didn't you tell us?"

"Do you know what the company they own actually does?" he asked?

"They do computer programing and security," said Janny.

"Yes," said Inspector Reach. "They also do work for the Navy on some of the ships that port here. What they do is highly classified so I can't talk about it, but thats why we're involved with the investigation of their deaths."

"Then why didn't you tell us?" Janny asked. "We have a right to know."

"We couldn't. We had to keep our investigation as quiet as possible. Until the incident with that CPS person, I don't think that whoever is behind this knew we were involved. That changed when we intervened in that incident. I wouldn't have done it then if I hadn't been ordered to. Eldarin is still an important man because of his work."

"What does he have to do with this?" asked Janny. "Is he involved with the investigation?"

"No," said Inspector Reach. "He's just what you always thought as far as the injuries he suffered in Iraq. He didn't know about the investigation or any thing else. I'm glad he was here, though. If he hadn't been, I don't think your little sister would be alive. He was an unarmed combat instructor at one time, and I wouldn't want to fight him."

"He's also qualified with several military weapons and demolitions," he continued. "I don't think your sister could have had a better body guard than Chief Warrant Officer DeShade."

He looked at me and said, "Girl, that man would move mountains for you. He told me in the x ray room to tell you that it isn't your fault. He knew the risks and accepted them. He would have done the same for any or all of you. He said that all of you are as much his children as Ellen and Nancy and he would rather die than see harm come to you."

A nurse came into the room and said, "You better come now. He wants to see you all."

That scared me even more and I asked, "What's wrong?"

"He's dying," said the nurse. "He has bone fragments in his heart and spleen. The internal bleeding is bad and we can't operate."

I ran out of the room to the x ray room. He wasn't there so I went back to the treatment room where they'd taken him first.

He was there and hooked up to several monitors. I didn't know what they were and didn't care. I ran up to him and grabbed his hand.

"Uncle Dar," I whispered, "please don't die. We need you. Please don't leave us."

Ellen and Nancy came up beside me. We were all crying.

Uncle Dar opened his eyes. They seemed to wander until he looked at us. He said, "Hello angels. I love you all."

He closed his eyes again and suddenly stopped breathing. An alarm started and the doctor and two nurses ran in. The doctor checked his pulse and then used his stethoscope to listen for a heart beat. He shook his head and took it off and pulled a blanket up over Uncle Dar.

I remember screaming, but I don't remember much else. The doctor came up to me and gave me a shot and I passed out.

This ends chapter 17.

Roadbug
Roadbug
120 Followers
12