Redwood Nine: Season 02 Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

His funeral was simple and attended by few friends, although the commune and club all shared in the ceremonies, making Clay feel represented well. Clay wanted time by himself and asked everyone to go and he'd be back later. He kissed Poppy goodbye and watched the bikes and cars start up and slowly cruise out of the cemetery. He stood staring at the hole with his grandfather in it, watching the shovels of dirt begin to fill it back in. JT stood by the bikes alone, waiting until he was ready to leave. Clay left the site with a stony look on his face, steeling himself to the memory of his past. JT saw him approach and knew he was hurting hard and doing his best to suck it up and move on. He held him by his shoulders and looked in his grey/blue eyes, awash with conflicting emotion.

"I understand brother, I understand. I'm always here for you, Clay. Whenever the ghosts come and haunt you, let me know and we'll talk. I'll help you get through it, okay?"

For the first time, the true sadness from emotional loss was coming from Clay. His face was breaking from the stern exposure, his lips quivering in tight, strained grief. JT hugged him to himself and held him tightly, Clay responding in kind, as his tears and wailing sobs poured out to the peaceful grounds around them. JT waited until Clay had released the majority of his sorrow, then held him by the arms and looked him in the eyes. He never spoke to him, just let the connection between them speak for itself.

"You're my best friend, JT. You and the guys are my real family now."

"What about grandma Hazel?"

"She's my grandfather's second wife. She's no relation to me."

JT realized Clay was as orphaned from the past as he was. His only existence was with him and the club, as his only family like he said.

"You're my brother and every guy in that clubhouse is your brother, Clay. You still have family. I accept your friendship and I'll honour it always."

They hugged tightly again, now in bond, instead of grief. JT led him to their bikes and they got on them. Before they started them up, JT looked at Clay with a smile.

"You just get your ass back from 'Nam in one piece, so we can patch you in. You'll be one of the first nine members of the club, guaranteed. Like I said before, if I find you a nice Harley, or Indian, it'll be waiting for you when you get back."

"Don't you worry. No fucking Commie bullet is taking me out. I'll do my tour and notch the kills. Once I jump off from Hawaii, the holiday is over and it's time to do some mayhem on the gooks. When I get back, I got you and the club and the great shit we do. I'm even getting real sweet on Poppy these days too. Maybe I'll be joining in on the big hitching thing."

"That would be great, brother. Love the sounds of that. You two have really hit it off."

"Yeah, she's a great chick. I really dig her."

"Cool. Let's ride brother and enjoy the fresh air."

"Lead on, my captain."

JT saluted to him and Clay saluted back, then the roar broke the calm of the cemetery grounds, They rode back up 99 from Stockton and east on Kettleman through Lodi, noticing a sign on McGinty's bar, that an Elvis impersonator was fronting for a country band. JT thought of Piney and his recent quibbles about the radio always on rock stations and no one would let him hear any country music. He thought of a going away party for Clay and decided this was how he could solve two things at once and have fun doing it. The girls missed dancing as well, so it was a win/win for him.

JT turned and looked at Clay and couldn't decide if he was smiling, or hiding the pain. Clay turned to JT, sensing the movement and JT could see he was happy, his heart accepting his fate to face what ever life was going to throw at him. JT smiled back and nodded towards the farm and twisted the throttle. The Triumph kept up to the big Harley using more power, but the thrill was just the same, as the pair rode side by side in harmony with the road and each other.

When JT sprung the idea of the country bar as a going away party idea, most of the guys were against it. Piney took his stand and demanded his fair share of time to hear country music. Lenny was going to challenge him on it, until Piney pointed to his V. President patch and made sure everyone saw what he was pointing at.

"Now that says I have some fucking authority to say something and you guys listen. I like rock music, but I still like to hear some good country music too. Some of it is really good. I know some of it is shitty, but there's shitty rock music too. You going to tell me the fucking Archie's, or the Monkees are great bands? Honestly? Give me a fucking break. I'm just saying, I want my time to hear my shit and maybe you'll learn to like it too."

"Not likely Piney, but yeah, it's cool to play your shit. Just don't turn it up too loud, so I have to hear it too."

"I'll turn it as loud as I like. You don't like it, the gate is over yonder. This is a brotherhood and we accept what every brother brings to the table, or did we forget that rule already?"

The commune and the girls sat quietly, as the club worked out the conflict, until Lorraine walked up and spoke.

"I know it's up to you guys what you do for a party, but honestly, all the girls and the other guys want to go. Phoenix really likes Elvis and so does Marlene. I like country and most of the girls do too. Just so you know."

She walked back to the others and waited, as the club looked at each other and then to Piney. JT settled it and said McGinty's was playing host to the Sons and enjoying one last bash with Clay, before he left for his tour. Everyone cheered, making the vote unanimous by everyone.

Friday night, the two dozen party goers pulled into McGinty's and sat at their reserved seating. They received plenty of looks across the spectrum, from dislike to like and some wanton lust thrown in for good measure. Meals and drinks were ordered and the tables began to get filled up with empty bottles. The manager came on stage and announced that the entertainment would start shortly, bringing some unruly comments from a table of college boys. Piney turned and shot them a look, which brought an instant quiet to them, making others happy to hear.

The Elvis impersonator was dressed in a one piece suit like he would wear and sported similar glasses and a wig. The fact he was grossly overweight, never helped in his appearance, but when he spoke into the microphone, it was hard to tell you were listening to an imposter. A few rude comments came from the table of college boys, but 'Bobby Elvis' didn't let it phase him, as he talked to the house band what songs to play first.

As he went to start, the loudest college boy began hazing him. Piney stood up and turned around to face him. The college boy showed no fear to his protest, so Piney grabbed him by his jacket and lifted him off the ground and held him high. The fear grew instantly, as he saw the look on Piney's face and his ability to cause great harm at that point. His friends stood up, causing the club to rise, then noticed the balance of power greatly in favour of the Sons and sat back down. Piney continued to hold the young man up and told him quietly not to say another word, or disrupt anything again. The terrified man nodded rapidly in agreement and Piney let him down and straightened out his jacket. He pushed the shaken man into his seat and gave him and his friends one final look of warning. Piney sat down and looked at Bobby, gesturing for him to proceed. Bobby talked like Elvis, using similar body language.

"I'd like to thank you for supporting me, good patron. Now, let's have a good time, shall we? Well it's one for the money, two for the show....."

Bobby broke into Blue Suede Shoes and the crowd became interested in the stage act, instead of the floor show. He went straight into, Don't Be Cruel, Hound Dog and Good Luck Charm right after, before taking a break and talking to the audience.

"I think my friends over here at these tables, would like a little dance music, am I right?"

The group cheered and hollered that they did.

"Then let's slow it down and all you good people feel free to get up and get close with that special some one. Boys, on me. 'Love me tender, love me sweet...."

The band kicked in and shortly the dance floor became packed with people enjoying the rendition. Clay was holding Poppy in a way that was almost sexual, then she turned to face away from him and wrapped his arms around her. Despite the varied age groups and demographics, love was love and it was being shared openly by the dancing couples. Bobby played to them, putting in a performance that rivalled the King, himself.

After singing Can't Help Falling In Love, so the couples had a good amount of time to dance, he broke into Devil in Disguise and had them sit again, as he pointed out pretty girls in the audience he felt were like the girl in the song. Half way through the song, he came off stage and took Golden's hand and walked with her, turning her around for the audience and a great number of hoots and whistles rang out.

He sang to her for the rest of the song and then thanked her. To his great delight, he got a sweet kiss on the lips from her and he led her back to the table.

"Let's have a big hand for the lovely lady. What's your name, Sweetheart?"

"Golden."

"Your parents picked that name right. You certainly are precious. Let's hear it again, for Golden."

The crowd of males clapped and whistled loudest, while many women were clearly jealous of her beauty. Bobby went back up on stage, getting more applause and requests yelled out. He took a long bow and went to the band. He came back to the front of the stage and looked at the club.

"We got time for two more songs, so let's make them good ones."

The guys and girls shouted out their requests, then Bobby whispered to the band. He counted off and broke into Jailhouse Rock, getting lots of applause from the guys, as many couples began doing the twist and other dances to it. He went into Heartbreak Hotel right after and had many stay up and dance. He thanked everyone, the club especially, as he left the mic and walked off stage. A rousing chorus of 'Bobby' was chanted out and he came and took another bow. He went to leave and everyone asked for more. He called the band back out and they got set up again.

"One for my biggest fan club to dance to. Come on up and get cozy."

The group got up, along with other couples and waited, then Bobby went into Are You Lonesome Tonight? The closeness was enjoyed and Bobby once again played to them, walking off stage and going amongst the club, singing to each couple individually. He extended the song an extra minute, then thanked them profusely once more. No one left the floor and clapped and chanted for more. Bobby looked at the band members and the country band going on next.

"What do we do here, guys? I know you have you're time all set, but they don't want to hear you yet, so it seems. Tell you what, Let me do one more song and I'll need your guitarist to help me. I'll do Viva Las Vegas and we'll just rock them out on it. Are you in?"

"Bobby, you won the crowd, man. They're yours and well just piss them off going on, so let's do it and give them a show."

The band and the guitarist figured out a quick improvisation, then Bobby welcomed them back on stage, with added cheering for the guitarist. The headliner lighting came on and made for a more spectacular finish, as the band and Bobby belted out the song. This time when they finished, Bobby thanked them and told them to come see him anytime, but to get ready for some great music, from a great band, Harvest Homestead.

The cheering subsided and the crew dismantled the stage and set up for the band. Clay was feeling no pain and enjoying himself in the moment. JT was happy he wouldn't be leaving with the bitterest of memories to take with him. He knew what he had left in 'Nam, was worse now and hoped Clay was prepared to deal with the intensity. He knew Clay was straining mentally to hold it all together, but what was actually in his heart and mind, was something only Clay knew.

The band came on to great applause and started off with a country rock song that had the mood of the room pick up. Piney saw how happy everyone was listening to it and smiled to himself. The band had everyone dancing and hooting and hollering along to songs, making the night for Clay something special, when the band dedicated a song to him and Poppy. Their hit song, Those Three Words, had every foot tapping and hands clapping, as well as minds thinking.

The Monday trip to Stockton International Airport was filled with mixed emotions, as Clay said his goodbyes to everyone. The guys gave assurances he'd be okay, while the girls, especially Poppy, showed their fears and worries. Whether Clay had any doubts or worries, he never showed them, as he hugged everyone one last time, as the sergeant yelled out for all recruits to start a line to board. Twenty four hands waved to him, wishing him well, as he walked up the ramp stairway and into the troop carrier, commandeered from TWA to provide transport.

No one knew which face in the window they were waving at, but the wishes were well sent all the same, as the plane taxied out to the runway and once cleared by the tower, began a flight to Hawaii. The group stood and watched it turn into a dot in the sky and disappear, before they headed back to Charming, to continue what they started sowing. 1969 was looking like a better year than the last and JT hoped it was a sign of good things to come. There was a new movement coming out of the Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco. Moon had told them it was finally happening and everyone wondered what it was. Moon said they were calling it the summer of love and every person would unite in a show of love to stop the war and bring peace to the country. Several guys and girls wanted to attend, making it a social outing, as well as Marietta finally enrolling in her dream. It was JT's birthday in nine days, so it was decided to include it in the festivities and make May fifth, a day to remember for everyone.

The end of the sixties would mark a change in humanity, in the way we thought, the way we believed, the way we felt about ourselves and others. Moon invited JT to join him at Berkeley for a meeting, where noted speakers, like Abbie Hoffman and Phil Ginsberg were talking about the new order to arise. One based on a lifestyle much like JT and the club were living presently, anarchism. The new catchword was Yippie! and it had been making a name all its own. The leaders had proven their commitment to the cause, earning the name, 'The Chicago Seven', after the riot at the Democratic Convention in 1968. Change was coming, whether peacefully, or by protest, it was coming none the less. JT was very interested in hearing about it, his hopes an America that loved and cared about its own, might one day be a reality.

Clay watched the miles of endless ocean pass beneath him, as the jet made its way west to Hickam Air Force Base in Honolulu. In his mind, he was already shooting down the enemy. He was being sent there to kill and he was more than happy to fill their request. The idea of having the latest and best in weaponry, made it all that more fun to take part. Clay Morrow felt like a natural born killer, finally getting to do what he was destined for.

Please take the time to vote and comment, both are appreciated. Thanks readers.