Redwood Nine: Season 03 Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

One by one, he felt the impact of bikes colliding into him and then each other. He jammed the shifter into second and floored the pedal. He shifted up as best he could and caught up to Moon at the rear. He looked back and saw the carnage he caused and felt good about whatever happened to them. He kept a vigil to make sure they weren't followed and felt better after getting on the 205 and pulling into Tracy. The first large parking lot they came to with people around, they stopped and took stock of everyone.

No shots were fired, but most of the guys had their hands on their own guns, after getting them out of their saddlebags. With heartfelt thanks to JT for his quick thinking and courage, they headed on to 99 north and Gus' place. Once they reached the cut off, Wally and Moon continued on to the farm with everyone and they'd see them later that night, after getting the new bus back to the shop. Phoenix went with the club, still thrilled to ride, even after the harrowing escape. Piney was impressed and proud of Phoenix's abilities to stay cool under fire and not lose it. He felt assured he wouldn't let anything happen to JT's bike and return it whole when they got to the shop.

Gus came out the moment he heard the bikes approaching, waiting to see his new acquisition. Even over the constant rumble of the V twins, the sound of grinding gears was noticeable. He winced with each down shift and heard the squeal of the brakes, as it came in his driveway. He looked at JT smiling happily in the driver seat and the doors popping open.

"Not a bad runner. I should have asked more for it. Made it all the way from San Fran with no problem. Fucking custom paint as well. Purrs like a kitten. Hundred to fix her up nice and she's ready for the showroom."

"You could sell shit to a cow farmer, JT. So what the hell am I supposed to do with this monstrosity?"

"It's got lots of good parts. Sand the shit off it and stick it on another bus. It's not that bad really. Clutch is absolutely fucked and the brakes need replacing, but that's regular shit. Tranny might hold for a while yet and everything works on it otherwise."

Gus began looking it over and walked to the back. He looked at the bumper and back door and noticed all the dents and scratches. He reached down and pulled out a mirror from between the bumper and body, then ran his finger over some red staining the door. He looked at JT with raised eyebrows, waiting for an answer.

"We met some friends along the way. I thought they wanted a ride, but they had a hard time getting on, I guess."

"Yeeeah. Damn that pile of shit is getting mighty high, boy. Better offer a deal and unload it. So what happened?"

"Coming out of Livermore, along the 580 you know, just minding our business. I look in the mirror and see all these bikes coming up. The guys see them as well and just as they got alongside, I saw them reach in their cuts and knew they weren't along for a friendly ride. I cut over in front of them and slowed the bus down. They had to slow down quick, so the guys took off ahead of me and when Wally and Moon were beside me, I slammed on the brakes and waited for the impact. I felt at least five or six hit me and then the rest were piling on top of them. We didn't stick around to see what happened after, but they looked fucked up pretty good. I didn't know who they were until we stopped in Tracy and then found out it was the Disciples."

"Time for a new route west. No sense pushing your luck with them. Saw what they got into with that other club, so that should let you know how close you came to having your club vanish. Told you I see more and more gangs on bikes riding around and all of them looking to be number one. I don't envy you boys in the least and honestly, I get a little scared for ya's, every time I see one of those gangs and they're headed north of here and I wonder if they're in your neck of the woods yet."

"Been there, seen it and done it, Gus. Fucking bikers hanging out at the Hairy Dog and pushing heroin. Helped the local law take them down and told them we'd help keep that shit out of Charming. That's our town and we run whatever business goes on there."

"Good. You don't need that ruining the people. You're a smart one getting Barney on your side and fixing things for you. Get the people behind you, it's all yours."

"That's how we feel. No one shits on our doorstep and no one messes with our people. So, that's why the back looks a little out of shape, Gus. They messed with my people."

"Ah, you're a fine man, JT, all you boys are, don't forget that. Fine boys. Oh, gotta tell you. I love that new TV you had sent over. Picture comes in great and so does the sound. Sat with the little jigga-boo boy and had a beer with him. What's his name again?"

"Benny?"

"Yeah, yeah, Benny. Nice boy."

"Yeah, he is. But really Gus, gotta watch the names you use, you know. Jigga-boo or some of the others are you know, like a real put down to them."

"Jesus JT, I didn't call him a nigger. Thought jigga-boo wasn't so bad. Little black Sambo okay? JuJu boy?"

"Really Gus? How about just plain, old black. That young, black guy is really a better choice."

"Alright, young black kid. Touchy fucking people."

"Touchy, like I'll choke you and kill you touchy?"

"Shut up, JT. Come around back with that thing and the other bus is there."

Gus slapped JT on the back and walked around with the other guys, as JT fired up the bus one last time and ground it into first. He rolled it in slowly and went to where Gus wanted him to park it. The guys were all inside the new bus, checking it out and under the hood, when he walked up.

"Start it up and let's hear it."

Piney started it up and it ran smoothly, no signs of wear being heard. Piney went through all the systems, getting a signal everything worked. He put it in gear and the bus showed no signs of broken suspension parts and stopped well. Piney shut it off and JT climbed in and looked it over. Even taking half the seats out, it still left them seating for twelve and a couple of fold down beds and storage. There were enough good seats left, that all of them would be in good shape, with no torn leatherette.

JT went out and looked at the roof and then at the old one.

"Hey Gus, mind if we grab the roof rack for this one. They'll need it to haul all their stuff."

"Sure, not worth nothing to me."

"Great bus, Gus. Replace some belts and hoses and some new shoes and it'll be solid."

"Told you a hundred and it's good."

"Didn't doubt you for a second. I'd get rid of that old bus soon, though. Might be some people looking to find the former owners, if you catch my drift."

"It'll be a pile of parts soon enough and the rest heading off for scrap."

"Wish we could stay longer, Gus, but we have to get this thing back to the shop and make our way out to the farm after."

"That farm thing still doing okay?"

"Oh yeah. Walter is out most mornings and helps out. Gives us tons of stuff and shows us everything."

"Who's Walter?"

"Oh yeah, you guys never met. He's a friend of Golden's grandparents. He's known her since she was a little girl and he's sort of like family to us now."

"Sounds like a decent guy, like to meet him sometime."

"You should come out to the farm and spend a day there, Gus. I bet you'd love it."

"Yeah, come on Gus, this place has to get to you by now."

The guys coaxed Gus to agree to a visit and cheered when he accepted the invitation.

"Alright, we'll talk about visiting later. You boys best be on your way with this thing and before you go, I do believe my pockets are still a bit light."

"Oh shit, almost forgot about the money."

JT brought out a roll of bills and peeled off six hundred dollars, handing it to Gus.

"The title is clean and signed for transfer. It's up in the visor. Tank's at half, so you should top it up to be safe, no idea how good the mileage is on it."

"Will do, Gus. You take care and we'll talk soon. Thanks again for everything."

"Good seeing you boys. Always happy doing business and pleasure together. I'll be waiting for that invite to the farm, haven't smelled fresh air and seen open spaces for a while. It'll be nice to relax a spell."

"We'll have you out soon, Gus. Oh, bring your teeth along, there'll be some good eats as well."

"Better put a shine on them, then. Alright, get. Ride safe and stay whole."

Every guy shook hands with Gus and mounted up on their bikes, as JT got in the bus and started it up. The setting sun cast long, brilliant streaks on them, as Gus waved goodbye, a profitable calm setting in again. The highway north had thinned in traffic and let the club have an easy ride up to Lodi. The bus ran smoothly up 99 and they broke off at 88 to save time, even though it was more a trade route for farmers.

They were passing through the orchards, the cherry trees ripe with fruit, when JT saw the shadow coming from out of the trees and began swerving away from it in time. The fruit cart rolled onto the road and hit the side of the bus, send baskets of cherries flying everywhere. The club hit the brakes hard, trying to avoid wiping out on the slippery fruit, as JT stopped the bus. Keith, Otto and Tom dropped their bikes and tumbled, a chain reaction of events happening. The guys weren't hurt badly, the slower speed causing only some minor scrapes and bruising.

Out in the orchard, they could hear the frantic cries of a Mexican worker. He sounded panicked and in great need, then Chico left his bike and ran into the orchard. JT and several others followed him in and saw him crouching by the labourer. A young boy was lying on the ground, his leg bent at an awkward angle and knew the agony he must be in. Chico told them the boy was putting baskets of fruit on the cart and the brake let go and it rolled over his leg.

Suddenly it wasn't hostile feelings for the damage to them and their bikes, it was sympathy for an innocent boy in serious medical need. There was no question what was needed, it was getting the boy to a hospital and setting the bones again. Whether JT wanted to get involved or not, it didn't matter at that point, he couldn't walk away and leave them. He had Chico translate to the man what needed to happen. The man shook his head and desperately pleaded his plight.

"Prez, he got no money for doctors and shit. He doesn't know what to do."

"Tell him we'll get him to St. Thomas and have his son looked after. We can use the bus and lay him on a seat. Any ideas on making a stretcher would help too. We didn't come prepared for that."

Chico spoke Spanish and explained what they were going to do for his son. The father understood the need for a stretcher and laid his son down gently. He had them follow him to the cart and showed them the loose boards. One was long enough to break into two pieces and they needed something to stretch across it and tie it together. The man reached under the cart and took out a ball of twine, then stripped off his shirt to use. They went back and used a ground tarp under one of the trees and used that. In fifteen minutes, they put together a makeshift stretcher and carefully got the boy onto it.

His cries were heart wrenching to hear, knowing how each little movement brought more agony to the injury. Chico found out the father was Miguel Rodriguez, his son was Domingo and they were just finishing the last of the baskets when it happened. He was up a ladder and Domingo was putting the baskets up on the cart. Somehow the brake must have released and his son's leg was rolled over, he could hear the bones breaking. There was no way to stop the chain of events that followed and now involved the club.

Innocence of everything aside, shit happened and it needed cleaning up. They carried Domingo in and laid him between two seats, his father sitting beside him. The bikes were checked and started and JT was more than happy to see Phoenix had avoided any damage to his bike. They headed towards Charming and took the fastest and smoothest way there. JT pulled up at the emergency doors and ran in. He was back out a couple minutes later with a nurse and two attendants bringing a gurney.

The nurse checked Domingo over and had the attendants use the makeshift stretcher to get him out. JT opened the back door and Piney had wheeled the gurney around. The attendants passed the boy out to the guys, who laid him down gently on the gurney. The nurse led the attendants inside and straight to X ray to assess the damage. Miguel looked at the club with his sincere gratitude, but an equal fear of the cost. JT calmed Miguel's fears and brought the club into a huddle out of earshot of him.

"The bus pretty well tapped me out for cash, what do you guys have on you?"

They reached in and took out the wads of bills and each counted what he had and JT added it up.

"Between us, we have over three grand, so we can cover this for him."

Lenny shook his head at the suggestion.

"Brother, it's going to run five, six hundred for the X rays and the cast, that ain't even including the setting of it. You're talking a couple of grand here. You know this guy has no money and you'll never see it again, ever?"

"Lenny, this isn't about getting it back, it's about being involved in this and resolving it. I know we didn't ask for it to happen, but it did. Is the guy going to pay for our bikes to get fixed? No, he isn't. Can he pay for an ambulance to get his kid here? No, he can't. Where do we stop our part in this? Leave them there, it's not our fault? Stop the bus and toss them out here? We were just given a couple of pretty decent gifts just a few hours ago, weren't we? Didn't Free say how Karma works? What you put out there, comes back to you."

"JT, you can be such a fucking bleeding heart sometimes. Let's make the guy's life better then and hope Karma has big pockets of cash to hand out."

"It's not about the cash coming back, it's about the good coming back. Look how all the rest of that shit has played out so far? Couple of grand got us a town on our side, didn't it? What a fucking bunch of miracle workers we are, helping this poor guy in his time of need. You don't think he wants to pay us back some how? He wants to any way he can. Just like Gianni did. Who's complaining about the rolls of cash in their pockets? We got those from favours. Those trucks heading east every two weeks is making our lives very comfortable, not to mention the travelling money we get going south and coming back."

Lenny understood where JT's line of thinking was, that cash came to them easily enough, it was what they did with the cash that mattered. Sometimes, seemingly giving it away, could end up bringing greater riches down the road unexpectedly. Things were handed to them, with little more than some effort on their part and it was becoming taken for granted.

There was no further discussion about whether to assist Miguel, or the cost involved, so they broke up and walked back over to him. There was a look of desperation setting in already, his own mind foretelling of the club leaving him at this point. Chico translated to him, what JT said.

"Miguel, let's go in and see how Domingo is doing. I hope they're setting his leg by now. Let's get the paperwork done and make sure he'll be okay."

"You are willing to stay and help me?"

Chico translated between them.

"Yes, we'll pay the doctors for you, make sure he gets the right treatment."

Miguel's eyes pooled rapidly, his face contorting to relief. He fell to his knees, thanking them all for what they were doing for him. JT laid his hand on his shoulder and bade him to stand again. Miguel tried to smile through the tears, as he looked at them all.

"Gracias, mucho gracias senors."

JT smiled and led him to the desk and checked his son in. The club confirmed that all costs would be covered before leaving, then they headed to the waiting area for news. Miguel couldn't stop pacing and praying for his son, no one minding the repetitive monotony of it. Two hours passed, before a doctor came in and asked for Miguel. His face collapsed into relief, upon hearing the breaks would heal, but he might limp a bit. He said he was sedated, but he could see him for a few minutes and that he'd be in overnight for observation. Miguel's face began a look of worry, knowing it was going to cost more, but he was now stranded.

Once again, JT assuaged his worries and offered him a room for the night. The gratitude was heaped on them, Miguel knowing the immense debt he was amassing with them, as the aid continued to come. He went with the doctor and saw his son laying there, a cast covering his leg to his hip and he wept for his pain.

"He's not feeling any pain because of the sedatives we gave him, so he'll be able to rest. Only a few minutes now, okay?"

"Si, senor, uno momento."

The guys sat and talked about what was happening and JT explained he'd go with Miguel in the bus and stay at the clubhouse with him. Everyone else would head to the farm and let them know the score, then come back in the morning to start on the bus."

"JT, you sure you want to spend the night and you don't understand each other? I can do it."

"You sure, Chico?"

"Sure I'm sure. I got no problems with that."

"Okay, that makes it a bit easier, 'cause honestly, I didn't have a fucking clue how to tell him shit."

"I figured as much, muchacho. I told you, you need lessons, man."

They laughed about it and Miguel came back out, wiping away the tears from his face.

Chico asked how his son was and he told them about the cast and the pain.

"Miguel, we're going to take you to our clubhouse and we have a room you can sleep in and a shower to clean up in. I can make some food for us and we'll come back in the morning and go see Domingo."

Miguel looked at Chico and the others, still in disbelief he was being treated so well by them. They went outside and JT and Miguel climbed into the bus, while the others got the bikes started. They rolled out of the hospital and headed the few miles across town to the clubhouse. They stopped out front and went inside, turning on the lights and letting Miguel see the place. They showed him his room and the shower, then opened beers to relax with him. He was looking much more relieved and at ease, knowing things were going to be okay for his son and himself, as he smiled and laughed for the first time.

The guys spent only enough time to finish the beer, before they were back outside and ready to ride to the farm. Chico walked Miguel back inside and headed to the kitchen, where they began putting together a meal, while JT locked the gate and led the club out of town and on to the farm.

No one had paid any attention to the old Ford pick up parked in the parking lot down the street from them. They passed it, as eyes watched them and waited, then the headlights came on and they drove past the gate and compound slowly. Without their cuts on, no one would know they were members of Satan's Disciples. The bikers who were pushing the heroin, had been under their control and they had failed the patch in. Their loss wasn't as important, as the loss of income and the interference by another club.

They were now sizing up the competition and deciding what fate was in store for them. They could either join them, or die. The pick up drove away towards Lodi slowly, bringing no attention to itself, or the trouble that would come.


Votes and comments are always welcome, please the time to let me know how you like it.

RJ