Reflections on Ice Ch. 06

Story Info
Many surprises for Cassia and Dylan.
10.5k words
4.89
23.8k
27

Part 6 of the 8 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 05/31/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MugsyB
MugsyB
2,728 Followers

For a good half hour, they didn't say much. Cassia was more familiar with Dallas than he was, and offered a few directions to cut the drive time down. Cassia didn't find the silence awkward. She was consumed with thoughts of how she would handle this once they stopped but she felt a level of comfort and ease with Dylan she didn't feel with anyone else in her life. Even her friends, people she'd known since grade school, felt the need to fill the quiet spaces with chatter about work or a new haircut.

Before long, they were free of the trappings of the city, the lights fading in the distance behind them.

Dylan's deep voice broke the comfortable silence. "So, do you have an actual destination in mind, or are you taking me out to drop me off in a farmer's field somewhere and leave me there?"

Cassia laughed. "I don't know how you think I could manage that."

He cleared his throat and when she looked over at him, his smile was crooked. She loved that smile. "I probably shouldn't tell you this, but I'm sure you could disarm me without a struggle."

Cassia bit her lip, not at all certain she knew what he meant. She knew what she hoped. Her heart kicked into double time again. Then she spotted the sign ahead and pointed out the windshield. "Take that exit right up there."

He did as she directed, turning off the interstate and then down a few rural roads until they reached their destination.

When Dylan cut the engine, he looked over at Cassia with a worried expression on his face.

"What?"

"You promise you're not going to abandon me here?"

She laughed. "It's your truck, your keys. How will I abandon you here?"

"You're a mechanic. I'm positive you know how to hotwire a vehicle."

She pasted an innocent look on her face and climbed out of the truck, laughing when she heard his muttered grumbling. He followed a moment later, meeting her at the back of the truck as she lowered the tailgate. He eyed her as she clambered up and swung around, leaving her legs dangling.

"Come on." She put her hand on the spot beside her.

"We could have sat in the diner, you know. Eating pie at the same time."

"Man, all this time, I never knew what a whiner you are. Get your ass up here."

"All this time, I never knew how bossy you can get." But he climbed up and sat beside her. "So what are we doing here?"

"I used to love coming out to the country with my dad when I was a kid. He'd take us fishing or out to some deserted country road where we could practice driving." She smiled and tilted her head back. "He'd always end up keeping us out until after dark and I'd lay down in the back of the car on the drive home, staring out the window."

Dylan tipped his head back as well and let out a low whistle. "What a sight."

For several long minutes, neither of them spoke. Cassia's breath caught when she spied a shooting star. With a contented sigh, she reclined back, heedless of the cold metal and ridges of the truck bed. Beside her, Dylan glanced back.

"It's easier on the neck this way."

He followed suit, laying back beside her, their shoulders touching. In another minute, Cassia was warmed through, and couldn't help but wonder if he felt the same.

"You brought me out here to look at the stars?" His voice was pitched low, as if he didn't want to disturb the peaceful darkness around them. And it was very dark. The moon was the barest sliver off in the distance and they were well outside the city.

Cassia took a deep breath. "Not exactly."

He didn't reply and Cassia was scared to look at him.

"So you did bring me out here to murder me and leave my body for the coyotes."

She burst out laughing and reached over to give him a playful shove. He chuckled with her and she rolled onto her side, propping herself up on one elbow. She could barely make out his features in the dark. But the longer she looked, the better she could see the shape of his smile and the glint in his eyes.

"I wanted to thank you for everything you've been doing for me. You've been so great, and all I've done is go to that casino night with you."

"There does seem to be a lot more going on in your life than mine."

"I guess. I feel bad sometimes that you're having to put on a show and I feel like I haven't been keeping up my end of the bargain."

He chuckled. "I'm not keeping score, if that's what you're worried about."

It wasn't. Not really. She was stretching out the moment, afraid to come to the point. Then again, if she waited too long, she might lose her nerve.

He spoke up again before she could. "I do have another team event later in the month, that you could come to, but if you want, why don't you come to a game?"

"A game?"

"Yeah. You'd probably see some of the people you saw at the casino night, and you could cheer me on, play the part."

She stared down at him, his offer throwing her off. It had never occurred to her to ask to attend a Stars game. The thought was exciting. She'd always loved live games, and had only been to a handful in her entire life. "But... I wouldn't have anyone to go with. None of my friends care about hockey."

"What about your mom?"

She made a face. While her mother had apologized earlier, she didn't know if she was ready for an entire night of her mother's well-meaning but pointed questions about any relationship of hers.

"Or Jill?"

"Jill? Howie's wife?" Cassia had enjoyed talking to the other woman at the cookout. "Yeah. Maybe."

"There you go."

He turned his head, his gaze going back to the night sky. Cassia continued to study him. He lifted one arm and rested his head on it. When she still didn't move, or look away, he let out a short laugh.

"You're starting to make me nervous."

"I'm sorry. I just... I still feel bad about how much you're having to do with all this. You probably didn't imagine family dinners with third degrees when we made this deal."

"I guess not. But it's fine. I like your family."

She narrowed her eyes. "Even my brothers?"

"Yes. They were just looking out for their sister. It's something I can relate to."

"I suppose you can." Cassia tilted her head back, her eyes going to the stars again. She spotted a few constellations she recognized and wondered what the sky would look like in Dylan's hometown.

"Would you like your birthday gift?" Dylan's voice was soft and when Cassia looked down at him again, he wasn't looking at her.

"Dylan, you really didn't have to get me a gift."

"Well, you can get me something for my birthday, and then we'll be even." He rolled to one side and reached in his pocket. "Close your eyes."

She laughed. "I can barely even see your face."

"Just do it."

She sat up and closed her eyes. He picked up her hand, wrapping his fingers around hers, and dropped something small and round into her palm, with something cold trailing over one side. She closed her fist around it. "Can I open my eyes now?"

"Yes."

She did and opened her hand to see a small pendant on a plain silver necklace. The pendant was a perfect little pie, about a half inch in diameter. "Oh, it's so cute. I love it!"

Dylan rubbed his neck, sitting up beside her. "Do you? I wasn't sure. I've never seen you wearing jewelry before."

"I don't normally, especially not on my hands or wrists. Gets in the way at work." Cassia brought the necklace up to her face, trying to make out details but it was far too dark. "I love this, Dylan. Thank you so much."

"I'm glad."

She managed to get the little clasp open and slipped it around her neck. It took a moment for her to attach the clasp again, but she held the pendant in her hand after she did, smiling down at the thoughtful little gift. "Perfect."

In the dim night, Cassia could make out Dylan's smile, his eyes still on her. "I agree."

Cassia shivered. Then leaned close, pressing her mouth to Dylan's. She could tell she'd caught him by surprise. He didn't move for so long that Cassia started to wonder if she'd made a huge mistake. She pulled back and covered her mouth with her hand.

"I'm sorry."

Dylan let out a rough laugh. "For what?"

Cassia waved her hand between them. "That."

She didn't know what else to say. Or do. Embarrassment coursed through her, burning up her neck to her face. God, he really must think she was the most unrefined woman he'd ever met. She turned away, shifting her weight so she could get close enough to the edge to jump out of the truck bed. Dylan clamped a hand around her wrist, stopping her. She couldn't bring herself to look at him.

When he tugged on her arm, she turned, seeing the shadowy outline of him, and his other hand as he lifted it to her face.

Before she knew what was happening, he slid his hand to the back of her head and pulled her to him. His mouth came down on hers, the kiss stealing her breath. Then she parted her lips and her eyes closed when she felt his sharp exhalation on her lips.

"I told you don't ever be sorry for that."

Cassia grinned and grabbed hold of the front of his shirt, pulling him back. She wanted more of this, shivering when his hands tangled in her hair, holding her still as he kissed her again. This time, when she slid her tongue against his, the sound he made was deep and sent a shiver skittering up her spine.

She wrapped one arm around his neck as she lifted up onto her knees. One of his hands dropped to her waist, hauling her close enough that she was almost straddling his lap. All her self-doubt disappeared and all Cassia wanted was to get closer. She wanted to feel all of his heat against all of her. Even as she thought it, he angled his head, taking the kiss deeper and a moan rose in her throat.

All of a sudden, the world was tilting and he was pressing her down, laying her on her back. Their kiss broke, and Cassia's eyes blinked open. She saw the stars first, framing Dylan's head and shoulders. He bent his head, kissing her once, a brief, hard press against her lips. Then he did it again, and again, before she made a noise and reached for his head.

He pinned her hands down beside her head and kissed her hard. His tongue slid into her mouth, and she opened for him, loving the weight of him on her. He moved his lips from hers, pressing a gentle kiss to her bruised cheek, before moving lower. She lifted her chin, arching off the truck bed, wanting him to let her hands loose.

He clamped his lips to the curve of her throat, his tongue gliding over her skin. Then he released one of her hands, only to reach for the top button of her shirt.

She gasped, her hand clamping down on his in a swift reaction. "What are you doing?"

He chuckled, a sensation she felt through her entire chest. She swallowed hard and fought to regain some self-control.

"I would have thought it was fairly obvious."

Cassia's breath escaped in a weak laugh. Her hold on his hand loosened and she felt his fingers working the top button on her shirt free. He moved on to the next one and pressed close again to kiss her as he did, his lips undoing any reservations she was feeling with every passing second.

"Dylan..."

His mouth was descending along with his hand, his breath warm on all the skin he was baring. "Hmm?"

"I thought you had no experience with women." It was why she thought she'd have to make the first move, even if she hadn't exactly planned it for tonight.

For a moment, he didn't respond. Then he lifted his head and Cassia angled hers down so she could meet his eyes.

"I never said I had no experience. I just have a hard time getting to know women."

"Oh." She didn't know why she'd assumed otherwise. On the other hand, until she'd considered her feelings more closely, she hadn't thought of what his experience level might be.

He shifted, moving himself down beside her until he had his head propped on one upturned hand. His other hand stayed in the parted section of her shirt, not far from her thudding heart. His fingers grazed her skin, sliding one way and then back. Cassia shivered, though she was far from cold.

"And as you're constantly reminding me, I have no trouble talking to you. Why should this be any different?" He punctuated his question with a quick kiss.

"You have a point." Cassia put her hand over his. "So it's OK that I brought you out here and kissed you?"

Dylan blinked and started to laugh. Cassia grinned, rolling with him as he flopped to his back.

"Yes. I'm totally fine with you kissing me. Did I seem like I was upset or something?"

Cassia bit her lip and shook her head. "No, but every other time, it's been because someone was watching."

"That's true. Do you want to drive back to the city and do this in public?"

Cassia laughed and smacked his shoulder. "Of course not."

Dylan lifted his hand and cupped her cheek in his palm, pulling her down onto his chest. "Then what are we talking about?"

As he kissed her again, his tongue sliding over her lips before going deeper, Cassia couldn't figure out what her point had been. She leaned into the kiss, loving the way he tasted and the way he held her waist, pressing her closer to his body.

It might have been a minute, or hours, but Cassia felt the tenor of the kiss change. Suddenly, she was short of breath and his hold on her wasn't as gentle. His fingers clenched in her hair and she bit down on his bottom lip as she wedged a knee between his legs.

His hand came down on her backside and he wrenched his mouth away, breathing hard. Cassia pressed her mouth to his neck, reaching for the buttons of his shirt, unable to stop grinning. She followed her hands with more kisses, her breath stuttering when she felt the way his heart was pounding in his chest.

Then she stopped, rolling away from him, both of them struggling to catch their breath.

"Cass?"

"Yeah."

"Are you all right?"

Cassia laughed and reached for his hand, twining their fingers together. "Yes. I'm more than all right."

He rolled to his side and she turned her face to him. Even in the shadows, she could feel his questioning look.

"I was thinking that maybe the back of the truck isn't the best place for this."

Dylan's responding laugh was deep and Cassia smiled. "You might be right. Then again... we do both have roommates. Out here, at least we know we're alone."

As if on cue, a coyote started to yip and bark in the distance.

Dylan sat up. "On the other hand, I'm sure we could find a nice safe parking lot in town."

Cassia laughed and sat up beside him. "You know, for a hockey player, you're a real wimp. That coyote is probably miles away."

Dylan laughed with her. "I know that. But you're right. The truck isn't the best location."

He turned to help her towards the end of the tailgate. They sat on the end, both buttoning their shirts up and stealing glances at each other. Then Dylan hopped down first and held a hand up to her. Cassia could make the landing on her own, but she loved his chivalry. She was surrounded by her less-than-polite family and coworkers every day, and her last relationship had been Alex, so having someone treat her as special as Dylan did was a treat.

She jumped to the ground and would have turned to lift the tailgate, but Dylan stepped close, closing his arms around her. His mouth came down on hers, hard and demanding. Cassia clutched his shoulders, rising up on her toes as he hauled her up against his chest. She felt his hands clench in her shirt and his tongue touched hers, igniting everything she'd been feeling since they'd left Dallas.

All too soon, he set her back on her feet, and she did her best to ignore the wobble in her knees. God help her, what was she going to do if they ever managed a better location than the truck?

Dylan released her and turned to lift the tailgate, slamming it back into place. Then he took her hand and led her around to the passenger door of the truck. He held it for her and she climbed in, buckling herself in as he circled the truck and got in the driver's side.

He looked over at her. "Pie?"

She grinned. "That sounds great."

He nodded and started the engine. As he turned the truck around and headed back to Dallas, he reached for her hand. Cassia let him, closing her fingers around his, and wondered if she'd ever be able to stop smiling.

****

Dylan didn't know how he knew, but he could almost swear that he heard Cassia cheering every time he got on the ice. It was ridiculous, of course, but then, he'd felt ridiculous for days now. In the best possible way. It had been a week since that eye-opening drive to the country and Dylan still couldn't believe it, or get enough of her.

The schedule had taken him out of town only two days after her birthday but they'd spoken on the phone every day and had a brief reunion the night before.

As Dylan sat on the bench, waiting for the third period to get underway, he told himself to forget about the way Cassia had smiled at him when he'd surprised her at work, and that she'd been wearing the pie necklace even under her coveralls. And he definitely didn't need to be thinking about the hour they'd spent, parked in his truck, after dark.

He rolled his head back and forth, willing himself to focus. The team was taking a beating from the Ottawa Senators tonight and he didn't need any distractions.

Out on the ice, Tristen and four of his teammates took up their places. The music stopped as the puck hit the dot in the middle of the rink, and the game was back on.

When Dylan next jumped over the boards, his thoughts were one hundred percent on the game. He glided over to take up his position around the red circle near his goalie. The center took his spot at the middle and the official dropped the puck.

Dylan shoved into the Senator across from him, moving forward. He caught the puck on his stick a second later and pivoted to move to the neutral zone. He almost made it too, but someone closed in on him from the left. He passed the puck and moved back, circling wide as the Senators scrambled after them.

Their opponents kept up the pressure until the puck finally shifted beyond the blue line. Dylan headed with his linemates to the bench, throwing back mouthfuls of water.

"Shit, these guys are on fire tonight."

Dylan glanced over at Tristen beside him and nodded. Their chances of making a comeback this period were slim. It was hard to fight back when the team was down by three goals.

They continued to battle but even with a power play goal, the Stars couldn't make anything else happen, and lost the game.

The atmosphere in the locker room afterward was subdued. Dylan sat for several minutes with his hands between his knees, slowly bringing his breathing back to normal. They'd fought hard in the final minutes and he'd been on the ice for a large portion of it.

Jake sat down next to him after pulling his jersey and upper body pads off. "You OK, Sams?"

Dylan nodded. "That was rough."

On his other side, Tristen expressed the same sentiment with some more colorful adjectives thrown in.

"Easy, man." Dylan chuckled. "It's not the end of the world. We've got a few games left to get our act together."

Tristen said nothing, just finished stripping his gear off before heading for the showers.

Dylan, breathing normal once more, did the same. After he was finished, and dressed again, he checked his phone. He hadn't made any firm plans with Cassia for after the game, but he was happy to see a single word on the screen that she'd texted. Pie?

As if she even needed to ask.

He hurried out of the arena and was glad to have minimal traffic to deal with on his way to Cassia's neighborhood. He parked at the end of the block and jogged to the diner, bursting in to find Cassia and Sally laughing down at the far end of the counter.

"There you are, sugar!" Sally waved him over and poured him a cup of coffee. "Pie?"

"Of course." Dylan grinned as he approached. "What kind is it tonight?"

MugsyB
MugsyB
2,728 Followers