Rehabilitation Ch. 04 - Epilogue

Story Info
Paul is struggling to express how he feels about his loss.
911 words
4.25
7.3k
3
11

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 02/14/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Authors note: As I was writing the story 'Rehabilitation' I intended the third chapter to be the last. Even though it wasn't a typical happy ending, to me it made sense and that's how I wanted the story to finish.

Considering the reactions I've received in comments and private feedback messages, I felt the need to write a short epilogue to give people a less open ending.

Thank you for reading!

*****

It was a grey and rainy day. Unusually cold for the time of year. A weak breeze made the drizzling rain stick to coats and umbrellas. Paul had heard people complain about it in soft whispers, "Like this day isn't miserable enough as it is," but the light showers felt somewhat suitable to the occasion. The soft tapping of the raindrops even helped him calm his nerves. Every few minutes his hand went inside his jacket to feel for the piece of paper that was resting securely in the inside pocket. It was like a nervous twitch that made him check if it was still there. Speaking in public had always unnerved him, but it was the idea of showing emotions in front of people that scared Paul most. Despite that, the moment he was asked to say a few words during the funeral he was convinced he should and could do it.

The last few days had passed in a blur. Initially it was anger that he felt, but as time went by tears started to come and Paul's rage turned into grief. It was not until late last night he had been able to put some words down on paper. His feelings were clear, but which of those feelings he wanted to share he was unsure of.

A friendly voice called him to reality, "Paul..?" The funeral director was staring at him with a patient and comforting smile on his face.

Paul nodded briefly and got to his feet, fumbling in his pocket for the piece of paper. His hand was shaky and it took him a few tries to unfold the note completely. Taking a deep breath he tried to calm down his emotions, swallowing and clearing his throat as he looked at the people in front of him. Searching for familiar eyes that would calm down his racing heart beat.

After another deep breath he started reading out loud. The words came without much difficulty but they sounded empty. It was like he was simply stating facts. The first moments passed hazily, like the voice he heard speaking wasn't his own.

As he neared the end of the speech he started feeling his eyes sting, making him blink to fight back tears. The words he spoke started to sound more broken up and every few lines a soft sigh was necessary to keep reading.

"She was a wonderful woman. Strong and determined to fight for what's important. People would call her stubborn, but she showed me that you can do a lot more than you think if you put your mind to it."

Paul had to pause again and looked up for a moment, feeling his eyes water at the thought of her.

"She taught me to care for and help others and in my work I can put that into practice every single day. She meant-,"

Paul stopped and changed his words while slowly shaking his head. "She means so much to me and I'll miss her dearly." Still fighting back tears he started folding the piece of paper again. Before returning to his seat he faced the white coffin surrounded by flowers. He whispered softly with a tearful smile on his face, "I love you..."

The rest of the service passed by with more kind words and memories being shared. As it all came to an end the sun started shining, almost feeling like a cruel joke of nature to literally lighten the mood. People started leaving and after a few friendly handshakes and comforting hugs Paul also made his way to the back.

Paul bent down and picked up the pair of crutches, handing them to the redhead that was smiling up at him. She took the crutches gratefully and pushed herself to her feet. "Thank you for coming," Paul said with a faint smile, blushing at the conflicting emotions of seeing her at this occasion.

"Of course," she replied, returning the same coy smile. "You spoke so lovingly of her, it's a shame I didn't get to meet your mum before the illness got to her."

His smile dropped as he stared at the floor, nodding his head at her words, "You would have loved her..." Looking back up at her he leaned in and without thinking placed a soft kiss on her cheek, making her blush. Paul pulled back and looked at her, "Shall I take you home?"

She nodded, "Yes please...and Paul, will you stay for dinner?"

He bit his lip for a moment, unsure of what to say, "I...I'm not really going to be hungry."

Her voice was calm and friendly, "Paul...don't give me that. You need to eat something." She looked at him with a pleading look in her eyes. "You took care of me when I was hurting...let me take care of you now, please."

Paul looked into her eyes and saw her concern. Even though he wanted to disagree he knew she was right. With a sigh he nodded at her, "Ok Leah, lets go."