Reichenbach Ch. 04

Story Info
The Team hunts for a missing Crowbar.
10.4k words
4.81
18k
5

Part 4 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 08/18/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The chronological order of my stories is as follows:

Todd & Melina series, Interludes 1-5, Sperm Wars series, Russian Roulette series, Case of the Murdered Lovers series, Case of the Murdered Chessplayer series, The Swap series, Interludes 6-10, The Murdered Football Player Series, Case of the Black Widow series, Teresa's Christmas Story, The Case of the Black Badge series, A Case of Revenge series, Teresa's Summer Race, The Trilogy series, Dark Side Of The Force series, Caught In The Act series, The Phyllis Files 1-2, Case of the Murdered Bride series, The Credit Card Caper series, The Phyllis Files 3, The Hot Wives Investment Club series, Seriously Inconvenienced series, Case of the Paper Trail series, Christmas Mystery Theater, The Porno Set Mystery series, The Medical Murder Mystery series, The Eightfold Fence series, The Phyllis Files 4, Pale Morning Light series, Silverfish series, Cold As Ice series, Secrets of Apple Grove series, Sting of the Scorpion series.

Reichenbach, Ch. 01-04.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 14 - A Missing Crowbar

Captain Cindy Ross, Chief of Detectives of the Town & County Police Force, came up the driveway of the Cabin. She saw Lt. Tanya Perlman and Crime Lab Technician Christina Cho beside Don's Police SUV, and several Uniformed officers on the periphery. The road at the end of the driveway and below the cabin were a blaze of blue and white lights.

She also noticed Police Chief Harold Bennett and Town & County Sheriff Daniel Allgood were already here. She'd been delayed by taking Jenna to the Mountain Nest. Jenna and Phyllis were staying with the kids while Laura came up with Cindy.

Laura was calm, but unnervingly so, and Cindy both knew and sensed in her soul that she was in the presence of a woman whose years of training were overcoming some intense emotion. She realized that she would need the same resolve in order to be professional and not let what she was feeling right now... a fear that was almost paralyzing... overcome her. They arrived at the scene, which was busy with activity but abnormally somber and quiet.

"Rudistan!" Cindy called out immediately when she saw him. "Get on the radio and tell everyone to turn off all the lightbars. Every last one of them. There's no traffic on that road, and all we're doing is begging the Media to see the lights and come up to investigate them."

"Yes ma'am." Rudistan said. He got on the radio and soon there were no more flashing lights, except for one car's lights inside the back window for the benefit of any traffic that might drive up. Meanwhile, Cindy was at the SUV, ignoring Chief Bennett, who had been peering hard at her from the moment she'd arrived.

"What's going on, Perlman?" Cindy asked.

"Rudistan and Morton got here first." Tanya said. The driver side door of the SUV was open. The Commander's gun belt, gun, radio, and badge were on the driver's seat. Looks like they were thrown in there. His cellphone is also in there."

"So we can't trace the RFID chips and transmitters in his gun holster or his badge, nor triangulate the radio's signal nor the cell phone." Cindy said. "Someone knew enough to do that."

"That's right." Tanya said. "Also, a thin metal chain dog leash was found on the ground, but the dog is not here, either."

"The dog is okay." Cindy said. "Bowser ran back to the Mountain Nest and got Laura's attention. She called me, and I had the Duty Desk call you and send a patrol up here. Any signs of... something bad happening?"

"No blood." said Tanya, which instantly made Cindy feel some relief... and Laura even more relief as she was not far behind Cindy, listening in. "But his car keys were on the ground right under the door, as if he'd dropped them right there. And... uh, ah..." Tanya paused, then said with a rush "... his crowbar is still in the SUV, too. He hadn't taken it out yet."

"Ah, shit." Cindy groaned. "He'd have that in his hands if he was looking around. That means someone ambushed him."

"Yes ma'am." Tanya said, her face somber. "This dirt and gravel driveway isn't much for leaving traces, but it looks like there was some displacement here right by the door., then a little path for about five feet... I think someone came up behind Don as he was getting the dog out of the car, knocked him out, then began dragging him before picking him up and carrying him out of here. The dog must've run home."

"Yes. He's a good dog." Cindy said, wondering why she was thinking of small things like that at that moment in the face of her world about to come apart. "Sergeant Rudistan!" she yelled out.

The Sergeant came running up as fast as his semi-portly body would allow. He was in better shaped than he looked, and hustled up quickly.

"Rudistan," Cindy said, "it's way too early to begin panicking and putting out public APBs or anything that will get the Media excited and starting rumors. Get with the Duty Desk and have them put out quiet messages, through the Precincts, to be on watch for the Commander. But keep it on the down-low. He may just have gone off following some clue that he doesn't want me to know about, or he may be in real trouble, so we need to start looking, but quietly."

She continued: "Start securing all video footage of this entire road, all the way down to University Avenue and over the hill to Reservoir Lake, whatever exists, which I doubt is much. And for what it's worth, have Myron check the GPS in this vehicle." Rudistan acknowledged his orders and stalked off.

Cindy walked up to Chief Bennett and Sheriff Allgood, who'd been watching from the driveway, halfway between the gate and the SUV. She reported on what had been found, and what had not been found (blood).

"We should put out APBs." said Chief Bennett. "And let the FBI know."

"Sir," said Cindy, "I'm about to call the FBI now, but we should not put out public bulletins until we get an idea of a vehicle that came up here, or more information. And that's to keep the Media from getting onto this prematurely."

"But he could be coming to harm right now, and we're standing here doing nothing?" Bennett asked skeptically.

"Chief," Cindy said, working hard to keep herself calm and restrained. "If whoever took the Commander wanted him dead, we'd be examining his dead body right here and right now. And until we get some video footage of a vehicle, we have absolutely no idea what to ask anyone to look for."

"She's right, Chief." said Daniel Allgood quietly as Chief Bennett was about to say something. "We can't do anything hasty. Let's let these guys do their jobs."

"All right." Bennett said, almost sighing with resignation. "By the way, Captain, why is the Commander's wife over there at the crime scene? I know she's his wife, but she shouldn't be there."

Cindy whirled to face Bennett, her mouth gaping. Daniel intervened again.

"Go ahead on over there, Captain." said Allgood. "I'll explain to the Chief." As Cindy went back towards the SUV, Daniel said to Bennett: "Chief, Dr. Fredricson is technically an Auxiliary Police Officer as well as one of our Police Psychiatrists, so she can legitimately be there. But beyond that, Harold, if you want to try to tell a Deputy Director of the CIA to leave the scene of her husband's disappearance, be my guest. Just leave your Last Will and Testament with me before you do."

Chief Bennett said no more. He continued to watch Ross, waiting to see if the pressure and her own emotions would break her. He was watching to see if Cindy Ross was capable of being a Police Captain, if she was good enough to get the job done.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Ah, shit." said Cindy. The KXTC van had hurtled up the road and almost collided with police cruisers along the road. Bettina Wurtzburg and her cameraman Scott Turnbull rushed out of the van and tried to run up the driveway, where they were roughly pushed back by TCPD officers, who then rushed to form a human barrier to prevent not only their access, but their lines of sight to take camera footage.

"Captain Ross!" called out Bettina, having seen Cindy already. "What's going on here, Captain? Why are all these police vehicles at Commander Troy's home?"

All eyes were on Captain Ross as she walked resolutely to the gate. Cindy said with alacrity "The Commander's dog is missing, and was last seen at this location. We're looking for it."

"C'mon, Captain," said Bettina, her voice turning scornful and full of acid wit. "All these officers? And acting more like their dog died than just being missing? And the last time police officers got this rough with us was when Pete Feeley was murdered. What's going on up there?"

Cindy glared hard at Bettina. The reminder of Pete Feeley's death did not go over well with her. "I'm sure the dog will tell you when he's found and interviewed." she said. Feeling herself losing restraint, she turned away from the reporterette and went back to the SUV.

"Okay, let's wrap this up." Cindy said. "Just lock the SUV and leave it here when you're done. Give me the keys. And no one is to say one god-damned word to the Press..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I was unable to move as I lay uncomfortably on the floor of the back of the van. My hands were secured behind my back by my own handcuffs. But I wasn't as unconscious as my kidnappers might have hoped; their knockout drug must've been weak and had not fully knocked me out. I was dimly aware of the streetlights going by the windows outside the van. And I was aware enough to realize that we'd turned off the road coming down the mountain onto University Avenue, and had stayed on it, going straight south.

The road became the highway to Coltrane County and ultimately Midtown. It was now dark outside the van as we traveled through the countryside. Everyone in the van was totally silent, and I could sense the nervousness of these perps.

Not long later, the van slowed down, and I knew I was correct about our destination. We turned right, and went down a road that could use a re-paving. We stopped.

"Nobody's here." whispered one of the perps.

"Open the gate." said another perp, the leader. I recognized the voice through the mask.

Two perps got out of the vehicle and I heard a gate being opened. The van drove through, stopped as the gate was closed, then everyone got back in and we drove a few hundred feet further.

"It's dark." said the driver. "Looks like no one is there."

"They're there." said the leader. "Eckhart has a bedroom near his office on that top floor. Number 2 and I will scale the wall. You two stay here. If Troy wakes up, don't knock him out again."

As I'd surmised, we were at the World Headquarters of Dr. P. Harvey Eckhart's 'The Vision'.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Dr. Eckhart's office was circular, with windows as the walls and giving a view in all directions. On the back side, which was west and overlooking the River, was Eckhart's desk, with the sofas and chairs being in the middle under the domed skylight. Just to the left of the desk, west-by-northwest as the crow flies, were French doors that led onto a balcony that served as a small deck for anyone to sit on and view the River and farms beyond it, and the lush grass of the back lawn of the building.

Ropes with grappling hooks were shot up by crossbows to the rails of the balcony. Once they secured themselves, the two masked, black-clad men climbed the ropes and went over the rail onto the balcony. Somewhat to the perps' surprise, the door was not locked, and they went inside.

Sitting on one of the sofas in the middle of the dark room was Dr. Eckhart. The shock of bright white hair was clearly visible. The perps walked up to him, and one man put a silencer-equipped .22 Magnum semi-auto pistol to his head, waking him up.

"Oh!" he said as he jolted awake. "Ah, I see I have guests." he said. "What can I do for you... Mr. Wargrave?"

Part 15 - Brainwashing

"You are a psychic." said Wargrave, taking off his mask. "But we don't have much time. I want four of your people to get my prisoner out of the back of the van parked out front, and bring him inside here. You will then use the techniques on him that you used on Eleanor Burke and your acolytes Tommy and Candy, for a purpose I'll tell you at the proper time. Don't get cute, or my people will start killing as many of your people here that we can get to."

"No, no, I'm not a violent man." said Eckhart. "I'll do as you require." He got up, and keeping his hands where they could be seen, he went to his desk and picked up the phone. "Yes, Tommy, would you and four young men come to my office for a task of some importance? Thank you."

Wargrave figured that the words 'for a task of some importance' was code for this situation... and he was right. But it was committed now, there was no backing out, and he couldn't kill anyone until the mission was completed.

Moments later, Tommy and three other young men, dressed in red 'Vision' golf shirts and black slacks, appeared in the office. They were confronted by their great leader being held at gunpoint by two masked men, but showed no shock nor visible distress.

"Tommy," said Eckhart, "I don't want any foolishness. Get that gurney out of the infirmary room and take it to the front of the building. There will be a man in the back of the van. Bring him up here and take him to the Therapy Room."

The Therapy Room was one floor below the office. Eckhart led the way down the stairs as Wargrave kept him at gunpoint. Minutes later, they were joined by the acolytes and three masked men, wheeling in an unconscious man on the gurney. Eckhart groaned as he saw the man; it was the Iron Crowbar.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It was painful and I had to work to not yell out as I was roughly transferred from the gurney to the massage-like table in the room. My handcuffs had been removed. The room was wood-paneled, with cabinets of chemicals along the walls. Above was a strange, semi-spherical device with multi-colored glass circles that I guessed would emit lights.

"So," said Eckhart, "what exactly do you want me to do with young Donald, here?"

I heard the voice, which I knew was Henry Wargrave's, say: "I want you to induce the suggestion that when he hears the correct phrase, he will kill his wife."

"I can't do that." said Eckhart. "It won't---"

"If you don't do it," one of the other masked men hissed, "I'm going to start killing people. Starting with this piece of crap." He put his silencer-equipped gun practically into Tommy's earhole. Tommy did not flinch, but looked at Eckhart as if for instructions.

"Let me finish, young man!" ordered Eckhart. "What I'm trying to tell you is that it won't work. The man loves his wife, not even the process run ten times over would make him kill her. He'd be able to pull back from it; the emotions are too strong."

"Maybe killing some people will change your mind." said the second perp. He raised the gun to Tommy's head again, but Wargrave stopped him.

"So how did you make it work on Eleanor Burke?" Wargrave asked.

"This is very advanced hypnosis," said Eckhart, "but it's still hypnosis, and you can't force someone to do what they would abhor doing. Eleanor wanted to kill Ned, so it was easy to program her to do what she wanted to do in the first place. The others wanted the results the process gave them, whether to forget an act of violence upon them, or to give up a severe drug addiction, or whatever. But no matter how deep we go, or how many times, there is no way this programming could force young Donald to murder his wife."

Wargrave was not happy to hear that, but he sensed that Eckhart was telling the truth. "Okay..." he said, thinking about it, "what if you programmed him to induce him to believe he's playing a joke with a fake gun on his wife?"

"Young man, ears are to hear with." said Eckhart. "Listen to my words: there is no way this process can be used to program this man to murder his wife. He cannot be tricked into it, either. His subconscious will reject the programming immediately."

Wargrave sighed, seeing that his master plan wasn't going to work as he initially envisioned (pun fully intended). "Okay," he said, "what about someone else, say, Jack Muscone? Have him believe he's playing a joke on his friend with a toy gun, and that his service weapon is actually a harmless toy. Would that work?"

"Er, that might work." said Eckhart. "It will take a hard, deep process, but he could be made to believe his gun is a toy, and that it's all a joke on Mr. Muscone."

"Do it, then." said Wargrave. "You have until dawn to get it done."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I heard a lot of bustling around for a while, then suddenly the smell of ammonia salts blasted through my nose. "Uhhh!" I said, shaking my head.

"Just relax, Don." I heard a voice say. "We're going to give you a relaxing massage... a massage for the mind." I felt earplugs, like Apple iPhone earplugs, being put in my ears, followed by the sounds of soft music and waves lapping at the shore. "Just relax." the voice said. Then that strange spherical device in the ceiling came to life, and multicolored lights were flashing in my eyes. I felt myself drifting...

"He's under, the spell is working..." said Eckhart some moments later. That caused me to have a feeling of déjà vu; I felt like I'd been here and heard that before... I must've dreamed it...

The multi-colored lights continued to flicker, and I smelled something that resembled patchouli oil. I then felt myself being injected with drugs. I felt the burning sensation as the drugs spread up the vein in my arm, then through my body. I felt like I had to pee, then something right painful in my penis... I was being catheterized.

The delta waves assaulting my ears were then joined by voice, a voice almost too quiet to hear, but was persistently there. "You are getting very sleepy.... close your eyes..."

Voices continued. Then I heard "Take out the toy gun.... shoot Jack Muscone.... he's laughing at the joke..." I felt thirsty, I had to pee. I let the pee go, and it seemed to go on forever. Another needle in my arm, this time an I.V...

Everything was swirling before my eyes now, the glittering lights fusing into one blurry mass of color. I was seeing Officer Pete Feeley standing over me, telling me to relax... then I heard the words "Jabberwocky Joyful Jehosephat". Over and over again, I heard those words... then was told to forget them until I heard them again...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It was 3:00am, and Police Headquarters was as busy as if it were 3:00pm. Though it was not their shifts, many officers had come in. Their Commander was missing, and sleep could wait.

The Chief was in his office with Sheriff Allgood and Jack Muscone, who had been called and apprised of the situation. Cindy Ross was in her office; she'd gotten tired of feeling the Chief watching her relentlessly. Teresa Croyle and Tanya Perlman were also in Cindy's office, drinking strong coffee.

Myron Milton and Mary Mahoney Milton had worked the computers like never before in their lives. Fifteen minutes ago, they'd put together video images cobbled together from various street cameras and other cameras to which they could electronically access, and they were not giving a damn about warrants at the moment.