Remembrance of Things Past Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
lilgirlsix
lilgirlsix
1,736 Followers

Tom was amazed at how fast his little rabbit could run. He was impressed. He knew he'd chosen well. But now she was tiring. He could see her just ahead of him. A few more minutes and he'd have her back.

Colleen ran into a solid object and struggled for a moment thinking she'd been caught by her pursuer. It took her a few seconds before she realized it was her father. She looked up and saw the worry and fear on his face, and then relief.

"Colleen, I have ye now. Ye'll not be harmed my pet."

"Oh Papa!" Colleen couldn't stop the flood of tears that ran down her face as she clung to the comforting arms of her father.

"Shh, yer safe now. I'll take ye home to yer mother. But first... " He pushed Colleen behind him to confront the male who had stopped only yards away. "Ye'll die for touching me daughter." The menacing growl in his voice was clear.

Tom stood his ground, not looking a bit frightened. The shifting winds that swirled about them suddenly brought realization to both men who stood glaring at each other. Tom stammered, "Yer daughter? But... she's human."

"And still me daughter. And ye tried to kidnap her from us! Human or nae, the penalty is death!" Ewan couldn't contain his rage. He shifted and moved to attack.

Papa, no!

The immense chocolate brown wolf stopped in place, shocked beyond all words. He turned his head, his emerald green eyes looking at his Colleen, his human daughter. But it was her voice in his head.Colleen? But how...?

I – I don't know, Papa. But please, don't kill him. I don't know why; I just know it would be wrong.

The Alpha shifted and walked slowly to his daughter, scenting the air. It couldn't be! He circled her slowly. "Jamison, come here!"

Jamison, the Alpha's second, moved towards the girl he'd known since her birth. She had always smelled human. But now, her scent was definitely that of a Werewolf! He looked at Ewan, the shock plain on his face. "She's... "

"Aye! She's a Werewolf! Hah! She's a Werewolf. Me daughter is a Werewolf. Ha ha!" The laughter in his voice matched the look of joy on his face. "I don't care how it came to be, she's a Werewolf!" He picked his precious daughter up high in the air and swung her around in a circle, watching as the scratches on her arms healed before his very eyes. He set her down carefully on the ground and hugged her tightly, unable to contain his delight.

"Papa," she whispered in his ear, "my wolf is with me, and... and she wants him." She nodded her head towards the male who stood at rigid attention, watching them.

"Oh, does she now? Finally shows herself after twenty-eight years and wants a mate already?" Ewan turned around and faced the wolf who dared to touch the daughter of an Alpha. "Why did ye take my daughter?"

"She is my mate, whether she knows it or not." Tom squared his jaw, not willing to show any sign of weakness. At the time he had taken his little rabbit he thought her a human, and so hadn't thought about consequences. Now he was faced with possible death for the crime of kidnapping the daughter of a pack alpha. But when a wolf found a mate, consequences didn't matter.

Alpha, we found his camp, and five more Weres, Betas I think.

Bring them here.

Ewan narrowed his eyes as he looked at this stranger who had attempted to steal his daughter away. But if she was his mate, as they both had said, then he couldn't very well kill him, not without hurting his own beloved daughter. He glanced over at Colleen, her new wolf's need for the male clear as day.

"Where are ye from, lad?" The Alpha's voice had softened just a bit, surprising both his Betas and the male standing before him.

"Our pack is from Éire. We came to this land a few years ago. My father is the Alpha, and sent us west to find someplace as far from humans as possible to make our home. This was as far as we got. And..." He looked at his little rabbit. "and then I saw her, and I couldn't leave without her."

Ewan tried to forget the anger and fear he'd been feeling such a short time ago and tried to make an honest appraisal of the Beta standing in front of him. He walked slowly around him, watching his stance, his breathing, his lack of fear. He had to admit, whether he liked it or not, he would be a fine mate for Colleen, a born Alpha. And he had made her wolf show herself!

"And your intentions towards my daughter are to take her for yer mate?"

"Aye, she IS my mate."

Ewan nodded, more to himself than to anyone in particular. "How long since ye've had a good meal? Hmm?"

The question startled the young Beta. "Ah, several months, Alpha. We've been making do with what we can catch."

"Aye, that is obvious. Come, we'll return to my pack, feed ye and yer friends, and make plans for yer mating." He turned his back on Tom and put a gentle arm around his daughter, pulling her into his body, speaking with her through their new bond, and expecting Tom to follow.

Tom didn't know what to do at first. He expected at the very least to be tied and led into the camp as a prisoner. He fell into step behind the Alpha, his little rabbit turning every so often to catch his eye and blushing when he winked back. He knew his pack-mates would be joining him soon, and hoped they would remember their manners before meeting the Alpha.

Although not exactly treated as a prisoner, Tom did not have free run of the camp. Everywhere he or his friends went, they were accompanied by Baxter Betas. They seemed like a friendly enough pack, friendlier than what he was used to in Éire. There, packs rarely had any dealings other than wars, and the annual pack gatherings. And of course, those sometimes escalated to wars after some wolf found his mate and, instead of approaching her Alpha and asking permission to take her, spirited her away in the night to his camp. Tom smiled to himself when he realized that was exactly what he had attempted, and failed.

Since returning to the camp earlier today he hadn't been allowed near his little rabbit. His wolf already pined for her and wanted to search the camp. Tom tried his best to assure him that the Alpha had approved of the mating and it was only a matter of time, but wolves thought in the here and now. And right now, she was not with them. In fact, since arriving here, he hadn't seen a female anywhere, only the males. He wondered if the Alpha was worried about any of his Betas taking the other females.

He'd been distracted with his thoughts and until this moment, hadn't noticed the whispering from behind him. It was at a distance, but he heard it, or rather, them.

"He's beautiful."

"Males aren't beautiful, silly. They're handsome."

"He's handsome."

"He looks so different from our males."

"It's only his hair that's different."

"I've never seen a male with blonde hair before, have you?"

"No, but I suppose there would have to be some."

"Ninny, of course there are."

"Oh, Colleen is so lucky."

"Someone's coming!"

Tom laughed as he heard the sound of the females scattering. He turned to greet the approaching Alpha. "Good afternoon, Alpha Baxter."

"Aye, it's a good day. Sit down Tom. I wish to speak with ye." Ewan felt more relaxed than he had in years. This was a good day. "I have something to discuss with ye lad."

Tom didn't say a word and wasn't sure what the Alpha had on his mind. He seemed friendly enough, at least for the moment. But he stayed on his guard, his wolf at the fore, just in case. "Yes Sir?"

"Do ye intend to return to yer pack with me daughter? Or would ye want to be stayin' on with us? Ye may have noticed we have nae male cubs here as yet. I've no heir. If I were to die, the leadership of the pack would be for the taking. The pack would accept Jamison, but I don't think he really wants it. And ye have to want to be an Alpha. It cannae be thrust upon ye." Ewan leaned forward to stare into Tom's eyes, trying to see into the wolf inside. "Do ye want it, lad?" Ewan saw the Alpha in this wolf, it was obvious to him.

Tom swallowed hard, wanting to speak slowly and carefully, being sure not to say the wrong thing. The last thing he wanted to do was upset the father of his mate. "Sir, I have no wish to lead yer pack. I am my father's only son, and he's trained me to take his place. That is my future, and Colleen's is to be at my side."

Ewan leaned back, slapped his hands on his knees as he rose to feet. "Ach, I had to ask. So be it. But tell me, do ye have to mate with her in yer pack lands? Or ken ye do the deed here with her family present?"

"I've no desire to travel months with Colleen without being fully mated. My wolf and I could not take the strain. My Betas could possibly end up dead from a misunderstanding. No, Alpha, I wish to perform the mating here, so we are fully bonded by the time we leave." Tom was relieved to see the smile that brightened the Alpha's face.

"Good! That will make her mother happy. The full moon is in two weeks. Ye'll mate then. But until that time, ye'll not be alone with her. And yer betas are not to be among my females at all!" Ewan couldn't help but glare at his future son-in-law. Tom's Betas seemed pleasant enough, but his pack did not let their females consort with males other than a mate. Many packs were much more permissive. He didn't want them to get ideas that his females were for the taking!

"I understand, Alpha. They will be on their best behavior." Tom bowed his head in deference to the Alpha, who smiled back at him.

"We eat when the sun is below the mountains. Ye'll meet my mate and the rest of the pack." Ewan turned and walked away, his wolf satisfied that his daughter had found the perfect mate. He was honest, honorable, and bound by duty to his pack.Aye, a fine mate!

Tom sat around a fire with his group of betas as they talked quietly.

John looked off into the distance near the sound of laughter. "Sounds like the females are about. Wonder if they all look like your tender rabbit."

Tom glared at his friend. "Better get that look off your face or the Alpha might rip ya limb from limb. And I might help." Tom smiled when he heard Colleen's sweet voice speaking with the other females. "All of ya need to be on yer best behavior or I'll slaughter the lot of ya!"

The other four snickered as John lowered his head, showing proper submission to the son of his Alpha. "I promise ya, Tom, I'll not disgrace our pack."

Tom managed a grin at his comrade and tried to make out who was approaching. It was the Alpha's second, Jamison.

"Time for dinner. Ye'll be meeting our females, so don't be getting no ideas now." The black haired male eyed the blonde strangers who'd come into their midst. They were the first outsiders he'd seen in some forty years. The Alpha seemed to trust them, though.Good enough for me, then.

The group made their way through the camp and to the long wooden tables where they took most of their meals together. The males were all seated around the larger table, the cubs at a smaller table nearby. The adult females, mated and unmated alike, were bustling around the tables, being sure everyone had their plates.

Tom and his Betas gawked at the massive amounts of food on the table. In the last few months they'd eaten nothing but wild game. And since they'd been traveling in the winter through the mountains, the game had been sparse and lean. Tom's stomach growled almost as loudly as a wolf at the sights and smells of meat, hot bread, berries. He was so distracted by it all that his wolf snapped at him to get his attention. The scent of fresh rain and green grass wafted through it all.My little rabbit!

Tom leapt to his feet, scanning the faces of the females looking for Colleen. Damned if several of these females looked close enough to her to be her twin! But there was no hiding his mate from him. His face lit up at the sight of her. She had on a different dress, brightly colored and a sharp contrast to the drab shift she had worn earlier in the day. He could see her face shining red with embarrassment, and he was sure she was avoiding his gaze.

Some loud throat clearing next to him from Jamison brought him back to his seat, but slowly, his eyes never leaving the form of his little blonde rabbit. His wolf almost bounded over the table when she bent over one of her pack-mates to serve him a large hunk of meat.Control yourself! It will do no good to start a fight now. She is ours, no other's. We must wait until the full moon, and we WILL be patient.

Tom chuckled to himself as his wolf grumbled, circling several times before flopping down to curl up and wait, patiently. But his eyes followed her around the table as she served all of the men. She slowed as she approached him, unsure of what to do.

Claire watched her first-born from close by and shook her head with a grin on her beautiful face. "Colleen, don't leave him waitin', lass. The man's hungry!"

"That meat's not all he's hungry fer!" John slapped a heavy hand on the table as he roared with laughter. Tom's friends snickered and surreptitiously watched those sitting nearby to see if they had overstepped. When they saw the Alpha laughing with them, they exchanged relieved looks and relaxed for the first time since they'd been brought to the camp.

Colleen bit her lip and did her best to avert her eyes as she held the tray of meat for her soon-to-be mate. What was it about this male that made her tremble so? She found herself struggling to hold the platter, and couldn't look away as she watched her hands shaking. Her newly joined wolf was spinning in her head, and she wasn't helping the situation. The tray started to tilt and just as she was about to lose it completely, she felt warmth covering her fingers and saw HIS hands covering hers, steadying the tray.

She stammered, frantically trying to speak, but could not find the words. When she was his captive she spoke more readily than she was able now. What had happened to her? Ah yes, her wolf. There was the difference. This new friend that shared her mind was controlling her heart and turning her brain into mush.

"Let me help you with that."

His voice was soft in her ears, his scent wrapping around her brain and making her swoon. She leaned closer to him, her shoulder brushing his, forgetting everyone sitting nearby. She inhaled, her wolf reassured that yes, this was their mate. Colleen had her eyes closed and a smile on her face. The laughter that exploded around her brought her quickly to her senses and her eyes sprang open, seeing her family and friends clapping and roaring with glee. She immediately pulled her hands away from Tom, and readied herself to run to her bed.

"Ach, Colleen, dinnae be embarrassed, lassie. Yesterday we ne'er would a thought ye'd be findin' yer mate. The entire pack is happy for ye!" Ewan rushed to his daughter's side. He pulled her hands away from behind her back, and gently placed them into the much larger hands of the male who stood silently next to her. "For all the pack to see," the Alpha's voice boomed across the camp. "I give me daughter, Colleen, to Tom..." He leaned over and whispered. "What's yer pack name, lad?"

"Wells."

"Tom Wells, son of the Wells Alpha."

A loud cheer went up from the assembled pack. Not only had the Alpha's eldest found a mate, but her wolf had finally shown herself! Now they couldn't wait to see her in the flesh. Would she wait for the full moon and the mating? All eyes would be on Colleen from now on.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Night of the Full Flower Moon

Colleen looked up at the bright blue sky, slowly fading as the sun set, the moon rising to take its place.Soon we will be one with our mate!Her wolf's exuberance was overshadowed by Colleen's fears. The wolf might have been in her head, but she hadn't shifted yet. What if she couldn't? She heard a sound behind her and turned in time to see her mother coming towards her, carrying a bundle.

Claire sat down next to her firstborn and just gazed at her, a huge smile on her face. "Yer father and I dinnae have the chance at a proper mating. I'm so excited for ye, Colleen. And I want it all to be special for ye." Tears fell from the corners of her eyes and she quickly brought a hand up to wipe the tears away.

"Mama, why are ye crying?"

"Ye've come so far since the night ye were born. Ye were the first to be born to the pack, and now the first to be mated and to..." She stopped for a moment, took a deep breath and finished her thought: "... and the first to leave us. I know ye'll be happy, Colleen. Ye deserve all the happiness in the world. And yer father thinks Tom is a fine wolf and will make a worthy mate."

"Oh Mama, I'm going to miss ye!" Colleen leaned her head on her mother's shoulder and began to cry.

"Hush now, me lass. This is a happy time. I brung ye a dress that me mother had made for me mating. I ne'er had a chance to wear it. But she let me take it when yer father took me from the pack. I want ye to wear it, for Tom." She carefully un-wrapped the package that had been hidden away all these years. The dress was bright green, the color of new grass, and next to Colleen's golden hair, it shone like an emerald.

"Mama, it's beautiful!" There was awe in her voice as she touched the soft material. "It's so fine and delicate. I'd be afraid I'd ruin it." Her hand couldn't stop touching the fabric.

Claire laughed. "Oh, child, mating dresses hae been ruined for centuries. Some males will tenderly remove yer gown, while others will rip it from ye to see what they've won fer themselves." She gave her precious daughter another hug and kissed her on the forehead. "Ye'll be ready at the clearing when the moon is high, after the hunt. Yer sisters will see to ye."

Colleen was so proud that her mother thought her worthy enough to wear this special dress. And for her mother to stop her own preparations for the full moon to come to speak with her made Colleen realize how much she would lose when she left her home.

But think of what we will have. Our very own mate!

Colleen couldn't help herself, she had to ask.Why did ye wait so long to join me?

Ye didn't need me. When our mate was in danger from Papa, then ye needed me.

That was interesting. Her wolf felt she wasn't needed, so she had slept for twenty-eight years? How very strange.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Colleen stood in the middle of the clearing, waiting for the hunt to end. Her heart pounded, and she barely felt her sisters' hands as they held hers, Annella on one side, Blaire on the other. Elsbeth, the youngest, stood behind her, keeping the bottom of her dress from being soiled in the wet grass. The four sisters were so alike, those that didn't know them would think the three eldest were triplets. And Elsbeth, only ten years old, just looked like a younger version of her siblings.

The whispers in Colleen's head were so new to her, she still was learning the subtle differences between her sisters' voices. But she was sure it was Blaire, just sixteen years old, who spoke to her now.

Oh, Colleen, I wish it was me mating tonight. Yer so lucky!

Then the soft laughter she knew so well from Annella.Don't be silly, Blaire, yer too young. Yer wolf would never allow it. Colleen, yer so beautiful. Yer wolf will show herself tonight, I just know it. And she'll be as pretty as Mama!

Elsbeth's excited voice called out. "Here they come, they're back. Look at the buck Papa brought back." She almost dropped the hem of the dress in her excitement. "And Tom has one almost as big!"

Colleen followed Elsbeth's arm as she pointed at the hunters returning with their kills. The pack would feast well tonight. But she knew they were more interested in seeing if her wolf came out tonight. Her wolf spinning at the sight of Tom made her momentarily dizzy. Only her sisters' steadying presence helped her regain her composure.

lilgirlsix
lilgirlsix
1,736 Followers