Remembrance of Things Past Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
lilgirlsix
lilgirlsix
1,736 Followers

"Well?" He'd make her say it. Maybe he was wrong.

Shannon looked down to her lap, her hands held tight to her mother's. She felt like the words just wouldn't come out.

"WELL?" Ewan's voice reverberated through the room.

Ewan, ye'll scare the child. Give her time.

Ewan saw the accusing look from his beloved mate. He let out a loud sigh and sat down in the single chair that stood in the corner of the cozy room. He looked out the window at the clear night sky. He so loved this land they had adopted.

"Papa, I saw him, and..." She couldn't say it. She couldn't get the words to come through her lips.

"And ye knew he was yer mate." Ewan said it so softly even her Werewolf hearing could barely make it out.

Shannon gasped as she realized how transparent she must be. "Yes, Papa." He was a human. Oh, how could her wolf do this to her?

Our mate is who he is. He has found us and now we must go to him.

Shannon couldn't believe how matter-of-factly her wolf could speak of this. He was a human! She had never even met a human before. We will not go anywhere without Papa's approval!

The Alpha cannot make us leave our mate. He will allow it whether or not he approves.

Shannon was shocked at her wolf's candor. How could she possibly do something that her father did not approve of? Just the thought made her sick to her stomach. But she already felt the longing for this man, this human, that had looked down the barrel of his gun at her. He'd had power of life or death over her at that moment, and he hadn't shot! He hadn't shot. Somehow he knew!

Ewan saw the moon, almost full, in the dark sky. He had hoped this would never happen, that they would never again have to deal with these humans. For over two hundred years they had been free of them, except for the natives that lived in this land. They kept to themselves, like the Werewolves. They were easy neighbors. But these humans, they wanted to spread out like a vine, clinging to anything they could touch. And now they would touch his pack. Just in the last year they had gone from a few scattered ranchers to building their railroad, and finally to building a town in their midst, within miles of their land.

"And ye will go to him?"

Shannon looked at her mother fearfully. Was her father putting her from the pack?

Claire held Shannon's hands tighter. Yer father loves ye with all his heart. He'll not abandon ye.

Shannon took a big breath and tried to think of what to say. "I don't know what to do, Papa. Please, help me." She began to cry, softly at first, and then the tears gushed forth, her body wracked with sobs. "I don't know what to do."

Ewan sighed and arose, walking to his daughter in two large strides and pulled her to him, holding her tightly as her body shook. "Ach, lassie, we'll figure out what to do. Yer wolf has chosen, and we will have to live with it, won't we?" He never could stand to watch his daughters cry. His mate eyed him lovingly, one hand gently stroking her weeping daughter's head, the other lightly resting on her mate's arm.

We will live with it, my love.

I hope so, Claire, I hope so.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Carr knelt down and dragged his fingers through the crushed weeds at his feet as he spoke to his lookalike brother. "Three of them, just like Elsbeth said. Their tracks lead towards the town."

"What do you think Pa is gonna do?" Cole looked up to his older brother. No one else had as much influence on their father, other than their mother of course.

"I'm not sure, Cole. I'm not sure." Carr stood slowly, wiping his hands on his pants and staring off in the direction of the town. He'd seen the sheriff ride close by a few times in the last year. Maybe he should suggest they talk with him about keeping hunters off the Pack's land.

Tell the sheriff no one is to come on our land!

Carr was startled by his father's stark message. He nodded, more to himself than his father. We'll leave now, Pa. We should be there by morning.

Carr grabbed a handful of mane and vaulted onto his horse's back. This would be the first time he and Cole would ever ride into town. He wondered what it was going to be like. He'd watched the humans from a distance and already knew the brothers would be a sight. They rode their horses in the Indian style, bareback, with just some rope to control their heads. He saw the humans with some sort of seat strapped to their horse's backs, leather straps around their heads. This was going to be interesting.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Every eye on the street was on the two men riding into town. Who were they? Indians? They didn't look like Indians, but where were their saddles and bridles? They weren't dressed like Indians, but they weren't exactly dressed like the townspeople either.

Carr, they're staring at us.

I see that. Just look straight ahead. I don't think they'll bother us.

They rode past the saloon, where six horses stood quietly at the tie rail until they smelled the familiar scent of wolves. The startled horses began stamping their hooves and pulling against the reins that held them in place. The scent faded as the two men rode by and the horses calmed, leaving their owners bewildered.

The two strangers stopped at the jail. They dismounted and tied their horses to the railing, turning in time to see the sheriff walking out the door.

"Howdy boys, can I help you?" The sheriff was a veteran of the Mexican War in his mid 60's, quite a bit older than most sheriffs in the territory. He had a big, bushy mustache and a large-brimmed black hat. Both features hid enough of his face to make it difficult to gauge his reaction too clearly.

"The name's Carr Baxter. This is my brother, Cole. Our Pa owns the land at the foot of the mountains, about five miles east of here." Carr figured that was safe enough to say.

"I knew there was a big spread out that way, but haven't seen any of ya in town before. Get your supplies elsewhere, huh?" The Sheriff eyed the two boys closely. Seemed nice enough. Looked to be in their mid-twenties. He also noticed neither wore a gun on their hip. "Ya run cattle out there in those mountains?"

"Some, enough for us. Pa just wants us to take care of ourselves. He doesn't like dealing with outsiders. Mostly we catch wild horses and break and train 'em, then send 'em off to the Army. We've been doin' that for the last few years." Carr watched the Sheriff step down into the street and saw Cole tense in response.

Easy, little brother. He isn't going to attack.

The Sheriff stuck out his hand and waited for Carr to reciprocate. He smiled when Carr took his hand and shook vigorously. "Well, welcome to Elko, Carr. Glad to meet ya." He had a feeling he and Carr Baxter were going to be friends. He was a far different type of man than the rabble that had been coming west since the end of the war. "My name is Larry Knife. So what can I do for ya, Carr?"

"It's about the hunters that have been coming onto our land. We've lost some cattle to some stray shots. There's lots of game on our land, but there's game everywhere. So if the hunters want to hunt, let them do it somewhere else. Our Pa is ready to take things into his own hands if he catches them. Our sisters were nearby where they were hunting yesterday."

Larry could see that Carr was telling the truth. He saw the anger and concern on his face. He took a sideways glance at Carr's brother and could see the difference in self-control. Cole was practically chomping at the bit to go after someone. Larry could see it plain as day.

"Well now, that's gonna pose a problem. Ya see, I don't have any deputies right now, and if I did, I wouldn't be able to send 'em out to guard your land. But I'm grateful your father thought to come to me first instead of taking the law into his own hands." He could see the look of disappointment in Carr's face and the consternation in Cole's.

"But wait a minute, I've got an idea. Maybe..." He looked back and forth at the two men as he spoke. "Maybe we could work something out. I could use a couple boys like you to be my deputies. Then you could patrol your own land and be enforcing the law, and at the same time be helping me. Maybe you could take turns coming into town to help me out, while the other watches your ranch." He stopped to see their reactions and waited.

Carr nodded his head a little. "That could work. It'd have to be to our Pa's liking though. If he says no, well, then it's no. But I'll talk to him, and let you know. How's that?"

Larry's smile spread. "Well now, that's fine, that's just fine. I'll be waitin' to hear from ya."

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

"Kenneth, what took ye so long tae get here?" The Alpha was not in a good mood. His daughter yearned for a mate she shouldn't have. What was he going to do?

"Ewan, cubs are born at their whim. They don't ask permission of the Alpha." Kenneth Kilean was one of the few in the pack who could get away with talking back to the Alpha this way; they had been friends too long to pretend differently. Kenneth took a chair across from the Alpha's desk and leaned back, sighing loudly. "Now, what is it that has ye so upset? I haven't seen ye pace like this since the birth of yer first cub."

"Shannon has found her mate!" Ewan said it like someone had died. He dropped into his chair, seemingly dejected.

"Well this should be a happy time for ye then. She's so young to find a mate. That's wonderful. She won't have to learn to be patient like her sister." Poor Elsbeth, over two hundred years old and no mate in sight. Her elder sisters had mated and left the pack. Kenneth sometimes thought she had been so happy to have a new sister twenty years ago because she thought that now someone else would be the youngest and be waiting long after she had mated.

"Ach! Kenneth, he's a human! How ken she mate with a human? Is it even possible? And if it isn't, that means she has no cubs, ever! And then what? Does she live as a human and watch her mate die long before her? I cannae think of my child living most of her life alone, away from the Pack." Ewan felt defeated for the first time in his life.

Kenneth grinned. Could the Alpha really be so blind? "Weres and humans have been interbreeding for millennia. If I remember correctly, wasn't your mate's mother a human?"

"Aye, but that's a female. Females are turned all the time. But a male? Who ever heard of turning a male during a mating?" Ewan pushed his chair back and jumped up, looking out the window at the rising moon.

"Ewan, a female wolf knows her mate. And if it wasn't possible to mate, then she wouldn't want him. All will be well. Shannon's wolf will know what to do when the time comes. It's wolf instinct." Kenneth watched his Alpha thinking, and could see that he saw the logic in what his healer had said. "Ewan, is something else bothering ye?"

"Ye read me like a book, Kenneth. Ye always have." The big Were returned to his chair and sat on the edge of his seat, leaning forward towards his closest friend and confidant and lowering his voice. "The humans come closer all the time, Kenneth. The reason I brought the pack here was to stay far from the humans, and now they are upon us. I can see there is no escape. We have to adapt, or die!"

"I think that's a little dramatic, Ewan, but I get the point. Is there a solution?" Kenneth loved his Alpha, but sometimes he had blinders on.

"Hunters have been coming onto our land, shooting at the game and hitting our cattle and horses. Last night they were actually hunting my daughters!" He paused for a moment to let the statement sink in. Ewan could see the look of horror on the doctor's face. "Carr spoke to the sheriff in town, who wants my sons to become his deputies, carry guns! I've no quarrel with them being deputies. But a Werewolf carrying a gun? It goes against my better judgement, Kenneth."

"Well they can't very well shift and attack someone who's up against them with a weapon, Ewan. A gun seems logical to me." He waited for that to sink in and saw the slow change in his friend's face.

"Aye, yer right, Kenneth." Ewan dragged a big hand through his shoulder length brown hair. "Guns it is, then. It's a new day, Kenneth, a new day." He shook his head and leaned back in his chair.

Kenneth Kilean grinned. His Alpha was a good wolf, but was never one to agree to change easily. He was more and more like his father every day. "Jeffrey lived tae tell the tale after returning from the human's medical school. I think your cubs will be fine, Ewan."

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Larry held a hand over his eyes to block the sun as he watched his new deputies learning to shoot their rifles and pistols. He couldn't believe neither had ever handled a weapon in his life. They were naturals! Cookie, the gunsmith, had turned out to be a very able instructor. He waved to get their attention. "I see you're in good hands, so I'll be on my way." He swung up into the saddle and trotted past the wagon coming towards the makeshift outdoor classroom. "Easy boy, easy." His hand stroked the neck of his dancing horse, who calmed within minutes. Larry wondered why the horse had been so jumpy lately. Maybe the first job for his new deputies would be to do some cougar hunting. That was most likely what was making the horses so skittish.

Cole turned to wave back at the Sheriff and smiled when he saw Shannon bringing them lunch. Their mother had thought the best way for Shannon to meet her mate was with her brothers present. He walked over to where his little sister stopped the wagon and helped her with the baskets full of food. "You made it in one piece I see." He gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. He could feel her nervousness through the bond they shared as siblings. It'll be fine, Shannon. He seems like a really good guy. It'll be fine.

She gave him a smile and a small squeeze of his hand in thanks, then grabbed a basket and started walking towards her mate. Her wolf was spinning in her head. His scent filled her brain and drowned out everything else around them. HER MATE!

"Cookie, my sister brought us some lunch. Let's eat, and we can shoot more after."

Carr grinned. He felt Shannon's fear, apprehension, and lust. Go easy, Shannon. He's not a wolf. You'll have to take your time.

I know!

Even through their bond, she could sound like a whiny little sister. Carr was amused, but understood her excitement at this meeting. "Cookie, this is our sister, Shannon."

Cookie turned around but wasn't prepared for the absolute vision of loveliness before him. Her long blond hair was the most beautiful gold, and shimmered as it fell over her shoulders. He wasn't sure how long he just stood and stared at her. Was his mouth open? "Uh, howdy, Miss Shannon. My name's Delaine, but folks call me Cookie." He tentatively put his hand out to shake hers.

Shannon put her small hand in his much larger one and just stared into his eyes. She tried to control her breathing, but her wolf wasn't helping. Could he feel it? Did he know they were meant for each other? She struggled to find her voice. "It's nice to meet you, Cookie. Do you want me to call you Cookie?"

"Sure, that'd be right fine." His name never sounded so nice as it did in her sweet voice. His hand lingered with hers until he heard Carr clear his throat. "Uh, guess it's time to eat, huh?" Cookie felt warmth creeping up his neck and face. He'd never felt this way about a woman before. He had this weird feeling that they'd met before, but he'd never seen her. Had he? But there was something about her eyes, those bright blue eyes.

Cole elbowed Carr in the ribs as they walked slowly a few feet away from their sister and the human she hoped to make her mate. Good so far.

The foursome sat quietly and ate the lunch Shannon had prepared. Cookie and Shannon had eyes only for each other. Carr and Cole just grinned and tried to act like they didn't notice.

Carr suddenly stood up and stretched his back. "Dang, I'm thirsty. I think my canteen's dry. I best get more water from the well. Cole, I think yours is dry too." Isn't it?

Cole picked up his canteen and felt the water sloshing around. "Heck, mine is f... I mean, yer right, mine's dry too." He'd almost missed Carr's mental nudge.

"We'll be back in a bit." Carr smiled as the brothers ambled towards the well, some half mile away.

Shannon nibbled at a hunk of bread and tried to think of something to say. She had to forcefully hold back her wolf who wanted nothing more than to mate right now. Since Cookie was human, her father had decided they wouldn't mate in front of the pack. He had no idea what would happen, and didn't want Shannon or Cookie to feel any more pressure than they were sure to feel on their own.

"Do you believe in love at first sight, Cookie?" Shannon lifted her head just enough to peek at the big man. His face was well worn from sun and wind, but so ruggedly handsome to her and her wolf.

"Gosh, Miss Shannon. I didn't... until today, that is." He smiled shyly at the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen in his life. He wondered if he'd feel this way if he hadn't had that encounter with the wolf. Something in his heart and mind had changed that day. He was so glad. Come to think of it, her hair was the same exact color as that wolf's fur.

Shannon was quietly elated. Her wolf spun around in circles, making her dizzy for just a moment. She didn't even realize how much it had affected her until Cookie was suddenly at her side, holding her around the shoulders.

"Miss Shannon, are you alright? You looked like you were 'bout to pass out!" He unconsciously pulled her tightly to him, instinctively protective.

Shannon took the moment to inhale deeply, his scent enveloping her inner wolf. She did her best to regain her full senses. "I'm fine, Cookie, really. Your arms feel so good around me, though, please don't stop."

Cookie grinned and held her tightly to him. He could feel her heart beating wildly in her chest. He smelled her fresh, clean scent. What was it about her that made him feel she was meant for him? His father had always said that when he met the right woman he'd know. Cookie had always thought they were just empty words. But now, he knew his father had been right. She was the right woman.

Shannon snuggled into his chest, so warm and muscular. He would make a fine wolf. She could hear her brothers on their way back from the well, and knew they wouldn't have much longer to be alone. This was the only chance she'd have for now. She gazed up into his eyes and brought her hand to his face, gently stroking his cheek. She felt a slight shiver run through his body and felt an electric charge run through her own.

"Miss Shannon," Cookie spoke softly, his face so close to hers they almost touched. "Would you let me kiss you?" He'd never kissed a woman before or even asked the question.

"Yes Cookie, please, kiss me." She closed her eyes and felt his lips press gently against her own. She fought the urge to pull away and bite down hard on his neck. Her wolf would just have to wait. Shannon's wolf pouted and faded into the recesses of her mind as she fell into the soft kiss. She felt her brothers' closeness and had to break it off far too soon. She blushed and snuggled again into his chest. "May I visit you in town tomorrow, Cookie? I know the boys will be coming in to buy supplies."

"I'd be honored if you'd visit, Miss Shannon. Ya don't think your brothers will be mad at me for kissin' ya, do ya?" Cookie sounded a bit worried. He wouldn't blame them if they did.

"I promise you they won't be mad, Cookie." Shannon grinned and cuddled even deeper into his arms.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

"Oh, Elsbeth, he's everything I'd hoped for: strong, handsome, and gentle. He's just perfect!" Shannon couldn't stop talking during the wagon ride into town. Elsbeth nodded and laughed at all the right times.

lilgirlsix
lilgirlsix
1,736 Followers