Replacement Therapy Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,595 Followers

I had purchased another station wagon, this time a Pontiac Vibe. It was really a Toyota, but I didn't care. It fit my needs and didn't cost too much. The windows were tinted in the back, but California law prevented me from tinting the front side windows. I wanted as much protection as I could get, and not necessarily just from the sun.

Another week passed before once again, I got a call from Detective Lofthouse.

"Mind if I drop by and see you tonight?"

"No, not at all. I could use the company. You know I've moved, I take it?"

"Yeah. You let my people know. Probably was a good move, considering. Anyway, I'll see you about five-thirty. Maybe we can catch a beer and a burger together."

"Sure," I said instinctively. This was a change. Sounded more like a social call. I wonder what that meant.

There was a small restaurant across the road from my motel, and we adjourned to the bar when we walked in.

"Well, Aaron. I think your bad days are over. I'm waiting for an official identification, but it looks like Luke Hightower took his own life."

"Holy shit! What prompted that? He couldn't have been sane."

"No doubt about that. We might never know. He didn't leave a note. He'd been living in his truck up in Gridley. Looks like he got himself good and drunk, then set fire to it and barbequed himself."

"Aw Jesus. What a way to go. Poor bastard."

"Yeah ... that's what I'm thinking too. When you think of all the people that could have helped him and every stinkin' one of them let him down. I'm just glad he didn't add to his total over here. You had a couple of near-death experiences. That ought to last you for a while," he grinned.

"How about a lifetime," I snorted.

We had another beer, ordered a sandwich, shook hands, and called it 'case closed.' I for one was damn relieved. I pulled out my cell phone. It was just after seven.

"Hey, Meg. Is it too late to come home tonight?"

"Oh, Aaron. Is it over?"

"Yes ... it's over. At last. I'll be there in less than an hour."

It only took five minutes to pack my bag, and another five to check out of the motel. I was standing on Meg's front porch at ten before eight when I rang the old style bell. The familiar sound of little thunder as the two youngsters ran to the door was a real lift.

"Mom ... come see ... it's Mr. Prentice. He's back!" Kirk yelled. Deanne, now DeDe, had attached herself to my leg, rendering me immobile.

Yolanda hurried right though the chaos and wrapped her arms around me, kissing me in another of her long, passionate embraces. She pulled her head back, and looked carefully at me.

"It's over?"

I nodded. "It's over."

"Oh, thank God." I could see the tears of relief, and looking up, the same in Meg's face as well. Kirk was jumping around in excitement, while DeDe just clung to me like a life preserver. It was good to be home.

For the first time, Yolanda and I slept together in a bed. My bed. We made love and it was perfect. I didn't need anything more than this. There were a few tears as she remembered just how close we came to losing all this. I wouldn't be telling her the truth about the river adventure. She didn't need to know.

It took a couple of days before things settled down. I was at work during the day, but Yolanda and I discussed our future in the evenings. I knew what I wanted. I quit worrying whether Yolanda wanted the same thing. I just acted. With Meg's help, we met at lunch on Thursday before proceeding to the jewelry store. I would choose, but Meg would advise. We were a good team.

Yolanda and I were on the front porch after supper on Friday night. It was time. I had the little box in my pocket and I knew exactly what I wanted to say.

"Yolanda, I love you. I love you more than anyone I could imagine loving. I love your family too. I am asking you ... will you marry me?" I took the box from my pocket, opened it and showed it to her.

"Oh ... Aaron ... I didn't expect ... I didn't know ...." She lapsed into silence, looking at the ring, then my face, then back at the ring. I was starting to worry. This wasn't the response I expected or hoped for.

"Aaron ... I love you. I really do. Are you sure that I'm the right person for you?"

That was the strangest question I could have imagined. The right person?

"I can't think of anyone more 'right' than you. I don't even understand the question. Surely you must know how I feel? I meant what I said."

I had the feeling I was sounding a bit complaining. I didn't want that. I was about to try and correct the impression, when she stepped to me and wrapped her arms around my neck and nearly crushed me in her embrace.

When we broke, she looked at me with a slight smile ... no ... make that a smirk. "Are you sure you're ready for me, mister?"

It took me a minute to decipher just what was going on. My little "Miss Prim and Proper," the woman that I had so carefully wooed, was screwing with my head. I had to try and recapture the moment.

"Take the damn ring, woman, or I'll put you over my knee and pink your lovely ass in front of you mother and children. Understood?"

She burst out laughing, falling into my arms and carefully taking the ring from the box. It fit perfectly, just as her mother said it would.

"Okay ... you talked me into it. I'll marry you," she said between fits of laughter.

"That was the craziest marriage proposal acceptance I've ever heard of. Is this how you responded to your first husband?" I asked.

"None of your business," she snapped, raising an eyebrow.

"Is there a female equivalent of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde? What happened to the demure widow who got all upset when I tried to do her a favor? Who are you?"

"I'm your unpredictable fiancée. After what's happened to you in the last three months, don't you think we're entitled to be a little unpredictable?"

"Do you love me, Yolanda?" It was a serious question.

The smiles and laughter ended abruptly. She squeezed me tightly again. "More than anything. I'm alive again, thanks to you. You were the unpredictable one. You never did lose your white knight status, you know. I never guessed you'd be so brave or fearless in the face of danger."

"I wasn't fearless ... let me assure you of that. But ... I was going to do whatever necessary to protect you and your children and your mother. I never thought twice about that."

"I know. I didn't expect you to be a hero, but I wanted you to care. That's what stole my heart. If I go a little crazy now and then, it's because I know you'll look after me. You won't hurt me, and you won't leave me. I need you more than you know, Aaron. I've been lonely too long. I need you to take away the loneliness."

"I guess we're two of a kind. I've been lonely too. More than I understood. But the worst time of all was the last three weeks. Being in that motel room and not being able to be with you all. It was killing me. That's when I knew for certain that I couldn't live without you."

"That's what I wanted to hear. You couldn't live without us. We come as a package deal, you know."

"I wouldn't have it any other way. You know I love your children, and your mother. I couldn't be any luckier if I tried. Which reminds me ... I have another duty to perform."

"What?"

"Normally, I'd ask your mother for her approval ... but since she helped me pick out the ring and provided the right size, I'm guessing it isn't necessary. However, I'd like to talk to DeDe and Kirk. I want them to be okay with me replacing their father. I'm not really worried about it, but I want them to know their opinion is important."

"Aaron ... that's so like you. Do you want me there?"

"No ... this is something just between the three of us. I'll go get them now and talk to them out here. It won't take long," I smiled as she kissed me.

I collected up the two children, asking them if I could talk to them outside for a moment. They followed me immediately.

"Deanna ... I mean DeDe ... Kirk ... would it be okay with you guys if I asked your mom to marry me?"

DeDe's eyes went hugely round and her mouth was a perfect O. I could hear a big intake of breath. Kirk looked a bit pensive for a moment before he spoke.

"Does that mean you're going to be our new dad?"

"Well ... yes ... if it's okay with you," I said carefully.

Kirk reacted with a jumping "Yeah!" while DeDe grabbed me and held on, just as she had when I had arrived back from my exile. It was going to be just fine with them.

"Mom! Mom! Mr. Prentice is going to be my new dad!" Kirk yelled.

Yolanda was beaming with tears in her eyes, while Meg looked on happily. I had done the right thing.

A few minutes later, we were having a celebratory glass of wine in the living room when DeDe climbed up beside me on her knees, and looked at me with a serious stare.

"You love my mom, don't you?" It was more of a rhetorical question, but it deserved an answer.

"Yes ... I love your mother very much. But I also love you, and Kirk and Grandma Meg. You are all my family now. I'm pretty lucky, don't you think?"

DeDe nodded and the put her arms around my neck and kissed me. "I love you too," she said, then sat beside me, holding my hand. There wasn't a dry eye in the house, as the saying goes.

That night, Yolanda, Meg and I got down to some serious planning. First there was the wedding. It would be a small affair, but there were a number of people who must be invited. Meg volunteered to find the church and an appropriate reception hall. That was overruled when Yolanda said she wanted a garden wedding and reception right here. Naturally, Yolanda would make her own wedding gown, as well as the mother and daughter gowns.

There was also the matter of where we would live. Meg was adamant that the big house was the natural place for us, once the little addition was done. She had already signed off on the preliminaries with an architect and the plans were before the board of supervisors for approval. The original estimates for a two hundred square foot addition were in the neighborhood of one-hundred thousand dollars, over triple conventional building costs.

What I learned about the family was surprising. First of all, Yolanda's modest life-style was self imposed. She claimed that she had to make it on her own without help. Meg stood helplessly by as her daughter refused financial assistance time after time. Our wedding would put a stop to that. I was well paid, and had a good size nest egg from the sale of our house and my condo apartment. That Meg was wealthy seldom entered our considerations.

Assuming Yolanda agreed to merge the family into the heritage house, we could sell her bungalow and more than pay for the addition to the wonderful old home. Yolanda could maintain her home business if she chose to, but wouldn't be worrying if it was going to provide for her family. She could do it for the satisfaction it brought her.

We decided on a fall wedding. It wouldn't be as hot in early October as it was in summer. A late afternoon wedding would be perfect, and Meg was well on the way to having it organized. I was sure she intended to pay for it, but I was going to insist that I contribute as well. I know she could easily afford it, but that wasn't the point.

All the while, I had been keeping in touch with my sons, Terry and Matt. Our e-mails were a bit irregular in timing, but the boys kept me informed of their lives and just how happy (or unhappy) they were. I hadn't told them of my engagement yet. I'm not sure why, but I thought I'd hold back that information for a bit longer. Perhaps I was wondering just how they would take the news.

To be continued...

Editing by ErikThread and DaveT with my thanks for their thoroughness and helpful suggestions. Any errors are mine.

coaster2
coaster2
2,595 Followers
12