Responsibility Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

And there the man still was, looking unusually healthy, although still generally unwell. When he curiously turned his head to look at the scene behind his cell door, even though there was light in his eyes, there were still dark circles and redness.

After confirming that man was indeed Tarmo Ammas, the Emperor ordered for him to be released immediately, but he wouldn't be left on the streets with no help. The Emperor said he must be assisted by the most patient servants.

He'd be given a good bath and a meal with livers from three different animals, plenty of vegetables, and a heavy palm's worth of cheese. Then, he'd be given a set of good quality clothes and a pouch of necessities. After that, a decently heavy box of silver coins. And finally, until all this was settled, he'd be placed under Rahela's care, at least until all this legal controversy was dealt with and he could be easily sent off to a new life.

In the meantime, that warden was under arrest, and one of the guards had to be promoted as the new warden, at least temporarily.

***

A spare room fairly close to Rahela's apartment, yet also far enough to remind one of the hierarchical distance required, had been cleaned and arranged for the sudden resident. A collapsible bed had to be brought in, along with plain chest to for any future belongings. Rahela oversaw the process. She didn't want her latest dependent to be treated anymore unjustly than what had already happened to him.

She was almost afraid of him.

She didn't doubt that Tarmo Ammas had indeed been imprisoned for two years. When she happened to be just close enough to learn of his scent, it was horrible. Sweat, mold, rotting straw, a buildup of body oils, and other unpleasant smells that Rahela couldn't describe. His eyebrows were bushy and overgrown, a uni-brow. His hair and beard were matted. She hadn't understood that before, but she noticed that along with the smell. Later on, she heard from a servant that the man actually had lice. Even if his hair wasn't matted, his head would need to be shaved, the face too.

When Tarmo Ammas was finally clean, shaved, dressed, and fed, he knelt on one knee before Rahela inside this bedroom. His voice was still so weak and tired. The top of his head was shiny. Once he swore his loyalty to her, Rahela told him to rise and sit down on his new bed.

Behind her, she heard Oksana giggle and murmur something to Yana. What was so funny? Rahela couldn't say, but she did look to Oksana and scold her. How dare she laugh at this unfortunate, mistreated fellow?! If she made one more giggle, Rahela would certainly beat her with a broomstick! That had Oksana lowering her head and apologizing.

Turning her head back to face the sitting man, Rahela chose to give him the truth. "I know you must be craving the outdoors. I'll send outside with protective clothing, in only a moment. First, I must tell you that I'm not an adequate protector. I'm the princess of only one of many territories in this empire, and it's one of the smallest. I'm outnumbered, and I'm a foreigner with few advantages."

There wasn't much of a reaction from that man. Instead of looking at her, he was looking through her. Rahela had expected him to gape at her or any other the other women and girls he'd seen. After all, he'd been devoid of feminine companionship of any kind for a long while. Yet their presences hardly registered with him.

"Ammas," Rahelas said, hoping to hold onto his attention. "Tell me. What did they feed you in that prison?"

He didn't even shrug. "Food."

"So it was all edible," Rahela said.

"Technically." He actually let his eyebrows rise just a bit. They'd been groomed. No more uni-brow. "It was edible." His wide nose wiggled. Then he sneezed into his elbow.

"I'm not doubting you," Rahela coldly insisted, "but you look as if you've been exercising regularly and eating food that wouldn't be served to a prisoner. I'm puzzled."

After he rubbed his nose with his sleeve, Ammas said, "I'm a very healthy person."

"You aren't very healthy at this moment," Rahela said with no remorse.

He shrugged. "One can exercise even in such a cell. Using one's own body, the walls, and the floors are sufficient."

Eyes narrowing, one of her nostrils twitching, Rahela said, "I'll accept that, but why do you look as if you've never wanted for any food?"

Again, he shrugged. "I'm not controlling it. I only ate what was given to me."

Rahela laced her fingers and sighed. "Very well. Get a cloak and go outside. Enjoy yourself."

Some minutes later, Rahela was back outside, on a veranda, looking out at the scene.

Tarmo Ammas was on the ground, on his back, facing the falling drops. He was uncaring of the mud and grass that would cling to his clothing. He was uncaring of the all the water that would trickle and plop into his orifices. He was beaming and laughing and wiggling his fingers. It was as if the rain tickled him.

Rahela couldn't criticize him even if she wanted to. She only used this as an opportunity to learn. Everything could be learned from. Even maggots had useful information.

Standing beside her, Rahela's favorite little girl, Gabi, she asked, "Why is that man letting the rain dominate him?"

Putting a palm on top of Gabi's head, Rahela answered, "It seems that he's pleased to be there. When one has been locked away for so long, it's sensible to find delight even in the rain."

Fiddling with the drawstring in her cloak, Oksana asked, "Your Highness, is Gabriella asking about that man over there?"

"Ask Gabriella yourself." Rahela tapped the child's head with her fingernails, just hard enough to get more attention. She went back to Testoan. "Gabi, Oksana will ask you something in Yahsin."

Gabi turned around to look at and listen to Oksana. "Are you asking about that man over there?" Oksana slowly asked.

Rahela translated. Then Gabi asked Rahela for the translation for her answer. It was all a way to teach Gabi the language here.

A few more minutes slid on by, and then Ammas pushed himself up to his feet. Then, he started running, splashing mud everywhere. His path was a mass of looping spirals and circles. He wasn't trying to go anywhere in particular. He was like an excited cat running for the fun of it.

He had the mental state of someone that honestly was grateful to be out in the fresh air, happy to be free.

Rahela didn't doubt that he'd been locked away for a long period.

But his body ...?

Her eyes followed him as he waved his arms like a crazed child in the middle of a chasing game.

She wondered, and pondered, and considered, all while trying not to bite her own tongue.

And then, as her jaw relaxed and her brow smoothed out, Rahela thought she could make a guess.

Rahela's hands twisted and rubbed together. Her heart was so tired from all the pounding and aching.

Eventually, Ammas tired himself out, even tripped. He limped over to Rahela and bowed. "Hah-ha ... as I am now," he said with a few huffs, "there is nobody on this earth whose happiness could surpass mine."

A new pain, like a plucked string or a tapped drum, it vibrated through Rahela's body as she considered that mindset. She nodded and looked back up at the man's messy, but satisfied face. "You've reminded me of the beauty in even the most fundamental joys. What was your position before your incarceration? Were you a poet laureate, or perhaps a barrister? I can't deny you have convincing words."

Swiping a bit of water and dirt away from his eye, Ammas said, "I was a guard here, a high ranking one, but the joy I have is indeed the greatest, even greater than this grand princess before me."

Rahela heard Oksana hiss out to Yana, "He should be more humble with his words."

Yana responded with a light and teasing, if understandably disjointed, "Hi-hypocuh-hypocrite. You're th-the boldest wah-wah-one here."

Rahela shushed them with a jerking turn of her head and a taut "sh" noise between her teeth. Then she addressed the man again. "You must be incredibly happy, indeed. I'll soon be the bride of your Emperor. It's one of the greatest honors I can imagine."

His uneven teeth almost seeming to bloom as his lips stretched out in a wide grin, his gray/green eyes flickered. "I'm impressed. If I were in your situation, rumors and all, I'd want to die."

Rumors?!

Tense again, Rahela asked, "What rumors could be so concerning that even you'd hear of them?"

He gripped a corner of his cloak and tried to shake the mud out, seeming to want the rain to rinse the fabric. "The guards talk, and the prisoners usually listen. You've been called foolish and inconsiderate, particularly towards Her Highness, Princess Tuya. Something about ignoring gentle pleas and sweeping away her opinions."

The true nature of Rahela's behavior with Princess Tuya didn't matter. It didn't even matter if Princess Tuya had ever been the rude one, and Rahela secretly believed that was indeed so. Rumors tended to have details added or removed as they grow.

Rahela's lips only parted a small bit. She pinched her own hand with a thumb and two fingers.

Then she sighed and admitted, "I've been too focused my studies. I haven't given enough attention to rumors about me."

"Well then, Your Highness," Ammas said as he stepped onto the veranda, under the roof, "they have your attention now."

***

12