Responsibility Ch. 21

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Leaving her seat, Rahela answered, "Yes. I'd forgotten."

Oksana put her hands at her bosom and sighed. "Oh, you'll be so lonely once he's gone. Won't you pine for your husband? Won't you gaze out from your balcony and write love letters for him?"

"Will that accomplish anything?" Rahela asked.

Oksana's shoulders drooped and she looked away. Later on, as the group left for the garden, Rahela heard Oksana whisper to Yana, "She's never romantic. Were I in her position, I'd fall at His Majesty's feet and beg him to stay."

Except for a patient little sigh, Yana didn't give a statement.

Rahela found the Emperor playing a board game involving dice near a statue of a maiden crouching down to stroke a cat's back. His opponent was the Empress Dowager. By the time Rahela and her group were close, the Empress Dowager had apparently defeated her son. She smiled and nodded, and she got up from her seat.

"Hello there, Tiny Empress," the Empress Dowager said. "Are you here for your husband?"

"He's called for me," Rahela answered.

Her eyes approving, the Empress Dowager said, "Therefore, you came." She gave another nod to the Emperor, who was rather calm. "Tuya might like a chance to learn more about embroidery. I'm going to comfort her with what little skills I have. An embroiderer will come soon to teach us."

As Borys took a standing position near him, the Emperor said, "I wish you a productive time."

The Empress Dowager left with her retinue then. His Majesty kicked his chair back from the board and table, and then he got up. Holding out his hand, he said to Rahela, "I'm glad you came."

Rahela reached over and put her hand in his, her free hand holding some of her skirt up. She was led down a path bordered by round bushes that had puffy flowers. Rahela's retinue and Borys followed behind them.

His Majesty moved his fingers between hers as he spoke to her.

"I'll leave the court to you."

"Ah, I'm meant to sit on your throne again?"

His thumb tapped one of her joints. "My mother should rest now that I have a wife to manage my home."

"Will I be accepted?" she asked as she turned her head away to look at a buzzing bee. She twisted her neck to watch it as much as she could as they passed. It was such a large bee.

"There's little choice for anyone," the man said as his fingers flexed once, putting a tight pull in her hand, "you're the ruler's consort. You're the one meant to hold court and manage the empire while the ruler's gone. My mother only did so before because I wasn't married, at least whenever I wasn't married, although there have been times when one of my wives were unable to fulfill their duties."

Rahela supposed the Empress Dowager had been the most constant symbol of power in the Yahsin Imperial Court for quite some time. How could she still look so young and fresh with all that stress digging into her skin over the years?

"To have a new body on the throne," Rahela said, "and someone from an only recently conquered territory, the nobles must not be pleased."

She heard him give a short laugh, and he said, "You have enemies. I'll leave you to deal with them."

Rahela's eyelids drew back. Her lips parted. She turned her head and some of her body to look up at the man's profile. He seemed serious yet also casual. It was as if he was aware of all the bad things in the world but wasn't particularly angry about any of it.

"Does Your Majesty believe I'm capable enough?"

"The fact that you asked the question is a paradox."

Rahela put her spare hand at her lips and turned back away.

They walked in mostly silence for a moment or so more. Then the Emperor suddenly tugged Rahela off to a pretty tree to stand under the shade. After releasing her hand, he pulled something out of a pouch of his. It was a familiar handkerchief with a known script stitched in.

The token from the last time he'd left. The token that had been stained with blood and then vigorously washed.

His Majesty handed the cloth over to her and said, "I'll remind you again now. You must not forget me while I gone. If you become pregnant, and it's plain that I wasn't near you to cause that, there will be grand trouble for you."

And likely Testoa itself!

"And if anyone else tries to falsely harm your reputation," the Emperor added with a grin, "then kill them as hatefully as you please."

***

The morning the Emperor left again, there was the expected, solemn fanfare.

Rahela, Princess Tuya, and the Empress Dowager all saw the Emperor and Borys off. Rahela saw that Princess Tuya seemed unusually tired. Her face had a sickly color. Her eyes had heavy bags. She didn't say very much. She certainly didn't say that she wanted to weave a congratulatory tapestry or anything else, although Rahela was certain that might've been the truth.

His Majesty patted his sister's cheek anyway, even smiling down at her. Then he gave the Empress Dowager's pretty black veil a few tugs. Finally, he went to Rahela and picked up the tuft of one of her braids. He kept the hair in his grip, curling the braid in the air, as he gazed down at her with simmering eyes. "You have heavy expectations. Don't disappoint me."

Rahela bowed and said, "I don't wish to."

He nodded and let her braid fall down.

The Emperor and Borys left then, getting into their carriage, which eventually took off, soon followed by many other carriages and mounted men. Rahela heard Gabi sigh almost wistfully.

This Empress Consort hoped that this time, during the Emperor's absence, she wouldn't have to dodge another crisis aimed for her.

***

12