Responsibility Ch. 22

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The guard's face loosed a bit, as if he hadn't expected her to ask such questions, but he answered her regardless. "The maiden didn't resist. She didn't even speak. She only followed us when we told her to come. She's waiting with the men in the hallway."

Rahela's lips parted just enough, only just enough for her to realize she'd done it. "Did that maiden exhibit any other peculiar behaviors?"

"I'm not sure if this is peculiar," the guard said, "but the maiden did seem to be fixated on one of us men. She's been openly staring at him ever since she began following us. Even now, she might still be looking at him."

Knowing she wasn't in a good position to say anything different, Rahela told the guard, "Place this suspect before the court."

The guard bowed and said yes. Then he went off, through a doorway, and apparently to the hallway.

Two minutes passed.

The audience members gave each other confused and impatient looks. Rahela noticed similar impatience in those seated closer to the throne. However, Princess Tuya was actually looking at the doors instead of at her hands. Her golden eyes were hot and angry. Her lips were pursed. Ammas looked different too. In fact, Rahela thought he was cheerful and eager to see this suspect.

When the guard appeared again, he was alone, and his face was much whiter than before. His eyes were huge. He stood before the court again, and Rahela asked him, "Was there a problem?"

"Your Majesty," said the guard, "it's my regret to admit something very embarrassing. The suspect has fled. She was so quick that nobody even saw her move."

Rahela blinked three times.

She sighed again.

"I'll have our finest investigators study this issue. This maiden isn't a true murderer until she has been found guilty. However, she still trespassed on the Imperial Family's lands, and she should be given a fine at the very least. The murder is a separate matter and she must be scrutinized with appropriate means."

"Thank you, Your Imperial Majesty."

The court was ended after that.

***

The following morning, at the stables, as Rahela was waiting for someone to find the tack for all the horse and Ureche the mule, a group of people approached.

The leaders were two women. Each leader had their little group of ladies and maids-in-waiting.

One leader was a married woman. Her pale blue veil had delightfully scalloped edges. Her headdress had velvet patches and bright embroidery. Rahela was surprised to see that her orange/red and graying hair was hanging down in clearly Testoan inspired plaits. The tufts were bare, but there were gold and dark blue ribbons wrapped between and around the hair. Her age showed more obviously than the Empress Dowager's, although she didn't seem decrepit.

The second leader seemed to be a maiden, possibly the married woman's daughter. Her red hair was also in a Testoan based style. She had two braids hanging down with trailing black ribbons around the tufts. On top of her head, there was still a Yahsin headdress. It was a soft pink color.

She was hopelessly beautiful, the most beautiful woman Rahela could remember seeing.

Softly pale skin with a blush that seemed natural. A fragile, heart shaped face with an elegant jawline. A perfectly straight nose. A set of pink lips like a darling flower bud. And almond shaped eyes with interesting irises. Around the pupils there were orange-brown rings that looked as if they were bursting out. The rest of the irises were dark blue.

The maiden was slightly taller than Rahela. Her hands were fair with gleaming fingernails. Her figure was only just curvy enough to suggest womanhood, thin enough to have one wishing to protect and nurture such a creature.

She reminded one of angels, or fairies, or even romantic tales of leading women being wooed by brave warriors.

Rahela wanted to have a painting of her.

The motherly woman, she bowed to Rahela and asked, "Might I be permitted an introduction to Her Majesty?"

Rahela didn't fully know who this woman was. So, she had to use whatever logic she had. Her brain scanned her memories of the lists of nobles that were meant to attend the court. Then she went through those that had been granted permission to bring a family member, retinue and all. There were a handful of options in the end, and she had little choice but to let the woman introduce herself.

"I'm still new to this empire," Rahela said. "I'll rely on you to give me your name."

"I am Baroness Agniya Chachuk," the mother said.

Rahela nodded. "Ah. You're the ruler of the Peitlada province." She gave the daughter what she hoped was an encouraging smile. "This must be a child of yours."

As the daughter bowed, the Baroness said, "This is indeed my child, Verala." Her hands folding near her belly, she went on. "Ever since my daughter had heard of Your Majesty's marriage to the Emperor, she'd been studying Testoan culture as if someone required it. She's seemed to admire Your Majesty from afar, as a role model. If she could learn a fraction of your knowledge, she would be destined for greatness."

Rahela looked back to the stone-like, nearly perfectly still young woman. She was so beautiful that it was almost scary. "Assuming you aren't applying cold flattery, My Lady Baroness, how would you have me react?"

The Baroness answered her with, "For the few days we're allowed to stay at this magnificent castle, would Your Majesty please honor my family by letting my daughter accompany you?"

Yana was whispering something to Oksana, likely a stuttering observation of how delightful that Baroness' daughter appeared. Oksana had the sternest expression Rahela had ever seen on her face. Gabi had her hands at her cheeks. Her lips were parted as she took in the beauty. Ammas was blushing and looking away, his nose unusually high.

A quick exhale, and Rahela wondered aloud, "Are there truly so many people that have grown some approval for me?"

"You're certainly not the most popular Empress Consort we've had," the Baroness admitted with a smile, "but you have your enthusiasts."

At that, Rahela finally said, "Have a mare readied. Your daughter may ride with me."

***

12