Return

Story Info
They returned and could have changed everything.
6k words
4.65
12.6k
00
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The world was simple and unchanging. There was the Pan, that endless expanse of hardpan and brush that surrounded everything. There was the Tribe. There was the Home. That was all. That was how it had always been. That was how it would always be. The men of the Tribe would hunt the Rach and Drom and Kett out on the dry Pan during the day and watch the sky at night as they had always done. The women of the Tribe would scratch the ground for tubers and tend their small gardens of squash and maze. For the entire collective memory of the generations of the Tribe it had always been so. Each day was much the same as the last with the First Sun chasing the Second across the sky in an endless game of tag. The First Sun scorching the dry Pan, having driven what surface water there was underground long ago. The Second Sun was much better than the First. It allowed the ground and air to cool enough to make life bearable for the Tribe. Survival was tenuous at best. Food was scarce. And the Tribe was always forced to hoard what little they had especially water because, above all else, water was life.

Even in living memory the Tribe had shrunk in numbers. Walking through the living area of Home there were now many empty Domiciles where once families lived. Cycle after Cycle it seemed fewer children were born. And the old ones always went off to the Final Place and never returned. But no one ever talked or even thought of these things for were not these things foretold in the Great Book?

For the Tribe this was what life was and as it had always been and always would be. The endless chain of Suns counted out the rhythm of the Cycles and the endless Cycles counted out the generations, the lives of the men and women of the tribe as they were born and lived and died. And throughout the generations as far back as could be remembered the Watchers watched the dark sky.

Shek sat in the darkness at the Watching Place just as he had been told and as he had been told and done countless times during the fifteen cycles following his Testing. Even at the Test he had proved more alert and tireless than the others of his age. So he was judged among the first of his age ready to join the Watchers. A smile often crossed his face when he remembered how proud he was that day. In all the cycles that followed the day of Testing he had never disobeyed the Elders even though there were others that had. This was always a great source of pride for him.

But tonight, sitting here in the cool night, Shek longed to be back in his Domicile with Kana, his mate. He thought of her long, black hair and smiling eyes. A man should be wrapped in the arms of his mate on a cold night like this, he thought. Those cheerful eyes and pouting lips that broke into such an evil grin at the thought of coupling. Shek and Kana had spent many, long hours on their pallet teasing and caressing in each other’s arms. Shek knew he could never find another who was so skilled and energetic at the art of coupling. This brought thoughts of Kana’s deep, passionate moans as he slid himself easily in and out of her. And the screams of passion as she came to that place that only a woman can know as her body tensed and clenched around him at the height of her desire. The thought of Kana’s lustiness always brought a smile to his face. Never had there been one such as Kana. With large round breasts, slender waist and lust filled desire she was the ideal mate. But, unfortunately, even though it had been seven cycles since Shek and Kana had been Joined by the Priest, Kana had yet to conceive a child. This worried the Watcher. “Perhaps the Council will see this as a bad thing and take her from me,” he thought. Shek shook his head to clear that thought and moved slightly on his haunches.

His mind drifted to his friend Muta. They had grown up together in the tribe. They had hunted the running Rach as brothers in their childhood. And when the time came, Muta too had been judged fit and had sat many cycles on this very spot, watching. But one night he had fallen. Sleep had taken him and Kalb, the Priest, found him and beat him with his staff, then brought him to the Great Hall to be judged. Justice had been swift, as it always had been. The Tribe was all that mattered under the Law outlined in the Great Book. Therefore, the duty of the Council was clear. Muta’s hands were bound behind his back and he was expelled from the Home as the First Sun, the one that chased the darkness, rose above the rocky cliffs. The image of Muta struggling across the hardpan, arms bound, moving away from the tribe toward the wilderness, occasionally stopping to look back at the place that he had always known still burned in Shek’s mind. But both Shek and Muta knew what was done was correct. The tribe must be protected above all else and Muta had broken the sacred Law and endangered the tribe.

Now sitting here remembering Shek’s hand thoughtlessly moved to his face to brush the dust from his high cheeks. The pre-morning wind was beginning to blow in from the flat, desert wasteland the Tribe called the Pan, bringing with it the dust that blinded the eyes, dried the mouth and clogged the nostrils. Shek pulled the hood of his tan rob close around his face against the bite of the wind and leaned back against the stone cliff of the Watching Place to watch the sky and wait for the first sun.

Something caught Shek’s attention and instantly his mind was alert. Something had brought him back from his memories. Something was different about the sky. Standing, Shek looked out across the Pan. Then he saw it. A moving light, glowing just above the far mountain cliffs off to the west. Fascinated, Shek stared at the light, as it seemed to move slowly and grow in brightness as he watched. In all the cycles he had sat in the Watching Place he had never seen anything like this. “Okah!” he called to the guard far down the rocky slope at the entrance to the Home. “Look! There just about the Peak of Dahh. I see a strange light. Run and awaken Kalb, the Priest.”

As Shek watched the light seemed to not only grow large but also seemed to slow almost to the point where it seemed to stand still out above the Pan. Far off, barely audible, there was a deep, rumbling sound echoing off the Pan. Shek cocked his head and strained to hear and make sense of the sound but it was like none he had ever heard. Shek understood this was why the Watchers had sat and watched the sky for so many generations. Something was happening that he could not explain and which brought the metallic taste of fear to his mouth.

Then Shek heard the voice of Kalb, the Priest asking, “Watcher, what have you seen?” Shek turned to see the dark shape of the old man struggling up the steep path to the Watching Place. His form was silhouetted against the light sandstone rocks. “Tell me. Quickly now”, Kalb commanded.

Out of long habit Shek fell to his knees as a lifetime of training demanded. After all who protected the tribe more than the Priest? And did not one need to show such respect to one such as he? This is what etiquette demanded and Shek had assumed the Kneeling Position automatically. Opening his mouth, Shek found he could not speak. The fear overcame him almost as if the dust of the wind had clogged his throat. All he could do was point towards the light over the far off mountain ridge.

Coming abreast of Shek, Kalb too stared off into the distance until his old eyes found the light. Cupping his hand to his ear, Kalb listened to the growing rumble coming from the wilderness. Then turning to Shek he said, “Watcher, a time of great trouble is upon us. Hurry to the Home and awaken all the Watchers. Then call the Council of Elders to the Great Hall. Go now, quickly. Then return.”

Without hesitation, Shek moved quickly down the path to the Home. Entering he noticed that Okah was not at his post by the door. “How strange,” thought Shek. Never in his memory could Shek recall the entrance to the Home left unguarded. And he noticed something else. The time was two Falls before the raising of the First Sun and people were already moving about within the Home. People rushing here and there as if the day had already begun.

Turning left at the Hall of Towers, Shek made his way to the Domiciles of the Watchers, awakening them and instructing them to join Kalb the Priest at the Watching Place. Then, farther down the corridor he came to the seven Domiciles of the Council. There the told the guard to awaken the Elders and have them assemble in the Great Hall to wait for Kalb.

On his way back, Shek stopped at his own Domicile to look in on Kana. She was still asleep on their pallet. Her dark hair covering half her face. She sighed in her sleep and smiled making Shek smile too. "Dream for a while, my love. For something is going to happen and it may be some time before you can sleep this peacefully again”, he said under his breath as he turned and moved quickly back down the corridor to return to the Watching Place.

Coming up the path, Shek looked off towards the sky about Mount Dah. The light was much larger now and seemed to hover over the Pan. The sound now much louder could be heard even over Shek’s panted breath. Kalb had instructed the Watchers and met Shek on his return. “Have you done as I instructed you, Watcher?” Kalb asked.

Dropping to his knees Shek lowered his face to the ground and spoke, “I have done so, High Priest.”

“And did you stop at your own Domicile, Watcher?”

“I did so, High Priest. But not until after I carried out your instructions”, admitted Shek.

“Very well, Watcher. You were the first to see the light and hear the sound. Come with me.” Kalb turned to the path and began his struggle back to the Home with Shek at his heels.

At the Great Hall the Elders were assembled talking quietly among themselves. “What has happened?” asked Balm the Administrator. “Who can tell”, said Zarb the Builder. “Why must we wait for Kalb. What can he know that we don’t”, said Narr the Librarian.

“I know of great troubles. I know that we have been right all these generations to keep watch on the skys”, said Kalb, the Priest, in a voice far larger than befitting his old and withered frame. The voice seemed to echo around the Great Hall. All the Elders stopped and looked up at Kalb.

“And what troubles are these, Priest?” said Bode the Hunter.

“Troubles enough,” Kalb said in his booming voice. Then turning to Shek he said, “Tell the Council what you have seen tonight, Watcher.”

The Watcher, of course knew each of the Elders one by one. But never had he been invited into their presence at the Council meeting before. With dry lips Shek dropped to his knees and spoke with face pressed to the stone floor, “Great Elders, tonight I have seen a light in the sky, a light which appeared from nowhere about Mount Dah. It was a very strange light. It seemed to grow and wane in intensity and move about then stop unlike any star I have seen.”

For a moment the Great Hall was silent. Then all the Elders began speaking at once. Kalb held up his hand and the room quieted again. But now each of the Elders was attentive to what would come next.

“Stand Watcher and return to you Domicile. You have done good work tonight”, said Kalb. Shek got to his feet and quickly left heading down the corridor to his room.

Climbing on the pallet caused Kana to stir. Opening her sleep eyes she stared at Shek for a moment puzzled then threw her arms around his neck and soon was moaning with delight in the arms of her mate, her lover.

Back in the Great Hall there was much discussion. “What exactly does the Great Book say about the Return, Narr?” asked Dann the Cook.

Narr, the Librarian, looked somewhat irritated. He said, “We all know what the Book says. They will return.”

“But what happens when they do?” asked Neos the Carpenter.

“Why ask me. Ask the Priest. He should know”, said the Librarian. All eyes turned to Kalb.

“Elders of the Home listen to me. I will tell you all that has been passed down to me from Priest to Priest over the generations.” Kalb sat at the Great Meeting Table and looked around at the Elders. “It was foretold They would return. No one knew when. No one knew why. But when They return there will be great chaos and war. This is what I was told and what was told to all the Generations,” said Kalb.

“But maybe this is really nothing”, said Zarb the builder. “Maybe a passing comet or something unknown to us.”

“I fear not,” said Kalb, “I have seen this thing the Watcher described.”

As the First Sun rose the Elders continued to argue and question. Each giving his own theory of the sighting only to be rejected by the others. Finally there was no choice but to believe as Kalb the Priest believed. They had returned.

Out on the still dark Pan a thunderous roar broke the early morning stillness. The light began to take on the elongated form or a ship. The trip through the atmosphere should have had made the hull glow a brilliant red. But the mirrored surface of the hull showed no signs of heat as it slowed for landing.

From the Watching Place the Watchers saw the ship now clearly as it settled onto the hard ground. The sound was almost defining even though the land place was many miles away. The engine exhaust made a great cloud of dust and ash as the ship came to rest. Then the roaring sound stopped. Momentarily, the dust settled and the desert was again as if nothing had happened.

Akal, the Watcher, hurried down the path to the Home to tell the Council of Elders what he had seen. The Elders again began to murmur. “We should arm the Watchers to protect the Home,” said Balm the Administrator. Frightened all the Elders agreed. The orders were given.

Shek stretched out on the pallet. Kana moved to rest on his arm, smiling. “Now Shek, tell me what has happened” she asked.

“I saw a light during the night. A strange light. The Council of Elders seemed very excited about it”, he replied.

Kana sat up in bed and looked a Shek. “What did they say, Shek”, She asked

Shek thought back over the scene in the Great Hall before answering, “Nothing much. There was a great deal of arguing. But I left before learning much.” Kana placed her head on Shek’s chest and circled his right nipple with her finger. “So? My mate is not yet satisfied?” he asked as his hand moved, taking her hair and pulling her face to his. For a moment they looked into each other’s eyes then Shek kissed her. Kana responded immediately and returned his kiss with great passion, her hands moving downward feel to his growing passion. For some time hands moved, exploring and lips touched until Kana could take no more. Then mounting her mate she impaled herself on him, grinding her hips into him, working her way to that place that only a woman can know. Then finally came the release of her desire, her body stiffened and clenching hard around Shek, their fluids mixing at the culmination of her passion.

There was a knock at the door. Shek and Kana looked at each other, then Shek got up and went to the door and opened it. Outside, Laud the Watcher was waiting. Without saying a word, he handed a tech rifle to Shek and motioned to the Main Hall. There was no reason for words between the two. Shek was a Watcher. He knew the meaning of what had just happened. Watchers were trained in the use of arms. One of the requirements for becoming a Watcher was the proven ability to use them. But never, except in the direst times were arms ever issued to Watchers outside the Practice Hall. Shek looked down at the rifle in his hand and grimaced

Turning to Kana he said, “I must go, my love.” Taking his long robe from the hook near the door, Shek left the Domicile and strode down the corridor toward the Home entrance.

Kalb the Priest looked across the Meeting Table in the Great Hall at Narr the Librarian. “How long will it take for your assistants to search the Library for information about Them?” asked Kalb.

Narr looked uncomfortable, his eyes shifting around the room as if trying not to answer. But finally Narr’s eyes settled on Kalb. Quitly Narr said, “Priest, it has been many generations since They were seen last. Certainly more than one hundred generations. Maybe even more, who can tell. Much as been lost to us. But, I say this, if the information exists in the Library my assistants will find it.”

Kalb shook his head and looked down at his hands for a moment. Then said, “Narr, let me be clear. We need two pieces of information from the Library. We need to know how often They come and what They want. And we need to know these things now.”

Zarb the builder stood. In an even, forceful voice he said to the others, “This is all foolishness. We need to act now. We can’t afford the time to wait. The Home is in danger and our duty is clear. Send the Watchers with their arms to kill Them out on the Pan before they get to the Home. Give the order, Priest. Give the order or I will.”

Kalb looked across the table at Zarb eyeing him closely. Zarb had always been a rash man. How could one be a builder and be otherwise? And the things he said were true. But there were still questions. With a flourish Kalb stood and addressed the room, “And how do we know we can defeat Them? What weapons do They possess? And how do we know that this ship is Theirs? No, Zarb. We must wait. Narr. Go to the Library and see to the search yourself.”

Looking uncomfortable, Narr walked quickly to the door. Narr knew what must be done and knew too that the things needed were long lost in vastness of the collected knowledge of generations. But Narr went to the Library as was his duty and as generations of Librarians had done before him.

The Watchers were assembled in the field in front of the entrance to the Home. By now all were there carrying rifles. They milled around in small groups talking among themselves. “And what has happened?” asked Lood the Watcher. “I know nothing”, said Chal. “Who does know?” asked Bahh. These and many other questions were asked and none answered.

A cry went out among the Watchers. “Look! There at the entrance. The Priest has come to instruct us.” Kalb the Priest stood at the entrance, hand raised. Immediately, the Watchers formed up in ranks. The assembly quieted down, each Watcher straining to hear the words of the Priest.

“Hear me, Watchers!” Kalb said, “Listen to the words I say to you.” Kalb held the Great Book above his head. “From childhood every citizen of the Home has heard the stories of Those who left and shall one day return. Every citizen has heard the words of the Great Book about the chaos of Their return.” A murmur rose among the assembled Watchers. A murmur broken by Kalb’s next words. “The day has come when They have returned. This very night Their ship has landed out there in the Pan. They bring with them the great chaos foretold in the Great Book. Prepare yourselves, Watchers. Prepare yourselves to do battle with Them.” Kalb turned and strode back into the Home. There was much to do. That fool Narr! Where is he? And where are the things we asked for? And the others? Who knows what Zarb might do.

“Perhaps this is something you seek, Librarian,” said Tatt the Junior Librarian, face pressed to the floor, hands extended holding a manuscript. Taking the papers from his hands Narr said, “Continue the search, Librarian.” Holding the manuscript to the light, Narr tried to make out the title. The pages were old, the lettering very faded. Unable to read the words, Narr opened to the first page and began to read. As he did so his face flushed and his mouth became dry. Ravenously Narr consumed the pages and when he was done he called, “Tatt! Come here.” Tatt the Junior Librarian appeared from behind a rack of documents some distance away. Hurrying to Kalb he fell to the floor in front the Narr and, pressing his face to the stone floor, said “I am here, Librarian.”

12