Return to Apple Grove Ch. 02

Story Info
Solution; Celebration of history made.
4.3k words
4.8
9.7k
8

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 08/15/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is now listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 10 - Corleone Style

*CLICK!*

"AAAUGH!" screamed the men as the light blinded them. They tore off their night vision goggles.

At the door was a very large man in all black, a khaki Tilley Hat with Airborne Wings attached, and holding a red crowbar. Next to him was a woman in all black, shorter, and wielding what looked like a hard wood or bamboo Japanese baton used to practice sword fighting. On both their chests was a circle, red bordered, and six red diamonds shooting from a center point against a black background.

"Get out of here!" yelled the leader. As they raced for the door to the porch, the porch light came on... and eight black-clad, masked persons suddenly appeared on the porch.

They tried to fight their way to the door behind me. It was a poor decision, and the fight did not last long. After a few blows of iron and wood were administered, the four perps were subdued. Their hands were secured with zip-ties and they were forced to their knees. Firearms had been secured from two of them, and were in evidence bags. With the scene secured, the eight ninja on the porch disappeared.

"So..." I said. "You bozos broke into my home. What in the world... were you thinking?"

"We want lawyers---" the leader started.

"MY HOME!" I shouted into the leader's face. "Where my parents slept!... Where my sister and I played... with our toys."

Teresa shook her head sadly. "Gonna be a loooooong night for you bozos." she said. "Unless you start talking... fast. You see... we're not the local cops. We tend to take matters... into our own hands."

"You think you're some kind of ninja freaks?" snarled the leader. "Or bounty hunters?"

"I dunno... I dunno..." I said as I paced the floor in front of them. "Maybe I'm just not making myself clear." I waved a red crowbar in their general direction. "I'm asking the questions here. And I better get the answers verrrry quickly... or the cops are going to find four idiots with their heads crushed in. Self-defense, protecting myself against home invaders, dontcha know. And none of you alive to tell a different story."

"The Iron Crowbar." the leader said, finally getting the picture. "You really don't play by the rules, do you?"

"He *is* 'the rules', dumbass." Teresa admonished.

"Tell you what," offered the leader, "let us go, and we'll tell you what you want to know." I laughed sardonically.

"My disappointment with your lack of understanding cannot be over-stated." I stated. "You talk, you get to live."

"Sweet deal, if you ask me." Teresa said helpfully. "Crowbar beatdowns hurt. Bad."

I just raised my eyebrows at the leader in a 'See?' gesture. "So do katanas." I said. "And my friend here is not as for-giving as I am."

Realizing that we just might be serious, the leader talked. Sang like a canary. After he was done, I pulled the radio out of its pouch on the back of my belt. "Come on in, AGPD. I'm done with 'em." Within moments, Officers of the Apple Grove Police Department were pouring in.

"I think ballistics will show that these weapons we found on these guys's persons are the ones that murdered the reporter Vincent." I said as I handed the bagged firearms to Captain Leann Wisocky. "Congratulations on a successful arrest, for murder in the first degree..."

Part 11 - Solution

Friday, June 29th. At dawn, I got a phone call from Cindy Ross.

"We got 'em, Don." she said. "Drone footage of them laying the stuff down in the night. We closed in on 'em, made the arrests, sampled the stuff they were putting down. Then we went and raided their warehouse, found rooms full of bags of the stuff. Brought in recently, since the night Mittens played the music box for you."

"Good." I said. "Document it well. And keep Muscone's team informed. This is likely going to become Federal..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The diner in downtown Apple Grove was full of hungry Police Officers, local and otherwise, as well as FBI Agents, and of course the Troy family, including my nephew and niece-in-law. The diner had a back room, but it was small. We crowded in anyway.

"What was it all about?" asked Leanne Wisocky, once the eating was done, and there had been a lot of eating done. Finally, all eyes were on me.

"By sheer coincidence, or maybe not," I said, "we ran into a BigAgraFoods operation. I'll try to run through it chronologically."

I started: "Some weeks ago, BigAgraFoods decided to test one of their secret programs. They put down some herbicide that was made to look like fertilizer that was too strong. The mixture was actually very mild, and that's because it was a test run."

"Test run for what?" Chief Hall asked.

"That's what I'm building up to." I said. "So BigAgraFoods put down the chemicals, then put that tract of land up for sale. Not a nice gesture at all, especially in selling to a Providence Springs group after all the problems here a few years ago."

"Then the aquifer was found." I said. "That was something of a game changer. So BigAgraFoods whispered into certain ears that the land was contaminated. It was checked out, and found to be true. The company made good to the buyers, but forgot to buy out the options on the land. So there's going to be some fun Court battles, there." I noticed Todd grinning as I said that.

"And then BigAgraFoods started whispering into other ears that the aquifer was not all that big a deal." I continued. "But I have news, folks: that aquifer is going to put Fillmore County on the map. Is that not right, Todd?"

"Yes sir." said Todd. "I'm buying some land even if we don't get that tract BigAgraFoods contaminated. And there will be other industries coming in, and rail service from Capitol City. Fillmore County won't be too huge, but it won't be dying anymore, either."

"And that's what Ted Vincent found?" Sgt. Stegall asked.

"He was on to it." I said. "And he was working up a huge exposé that he hoped would get him better work in a bigger Media outlet. I managed to 'interview' the perps that killed him. They said they caught him taking soil samples on that property... after taking soil samples on surrounding properties. That would've shown the contamination was specific to that parcel of land, which shows a level of intent and therefore not an accidental occurrence."

"And that's why they swapped out his shoes after they murdered him." I said. "To make sure we didn't find contamination on his shoes. But they made the error of putting brand new shoes on him, and did not fool nearby four-year-olds. Isn't that right, Carole?" Everyone laughed, then applauded Carole, who beamed as she fist-bumped me.

"They bugged Vincent's clothes and press pass," I said, "and we found that and used it to our advantage. We laid a trap for them, and they walked right into it. I was not surprised they came to my boyhood home, thinking they'd find something the reporter had left. And I was even less surprised they brought the murder weapons with them."

"And much less surprised than they were," Teresa said, "when the lights came on and blinded them."

"For sure." I said. "And so it should be easy from there. I expect they'll be falling all over themselves to cop pleas and take deals from your D.A."

"Yes, they are." said Chief Hall. "They've even asked to talk to the D.A. before BigAgraFoods sends lawyers to, quote, 'help' them, unquote."

"Okay, so what was the reason for the trial run of the herbicide?" I said. "That... goes to my current Town & County. I warned my Police Force there to be on the alert for night-time fertilizing of farmland down there. Even sent the information from up here to get our guys warrants down there. And we caught them red-handed, dead-to-rights."

"And they thought they could get away with doing this while Commander Troy was up here." Teresa said.

"And while Captain Croyle was up here, too." I replied. "And just like the perps up here, the perps down there are 'stoo-pid'. And a good thing we caught them: the stuff they were using down there was far more powerful that what they used up here. the stuff up here would've washed away, and the land can be recovered with a couple of seasons of alternating cotton and soybeans, so the State A&M guys tell me. The stuff they used down there would've destroyed the land, made it completely unable to support any plant life for at least ten years."

"My God." muttered my mother Phyllis.

"And the number of bags of that stuff my Officers recovered," I said, "would've been enough to destroy four-fifths of the farm land in the County. BigAgraFoods intended to wipe my County out."

"And that was just a test for their future plans nation-wide." said Jack Muscone.

"True," I said, "but their leadership does really want to wipe my County out. They've been hating me since I began investigating them for the murder of a whistleblower."

"Damn." said Chief Hall. "That's too much for a little county like ours. Even so, I'm glad you were up here to help, even if it is a coincidence."

"As the father of the TCPD Commander who led last night's raid at home would say," I said, "there are no coincidences in the Universe. Everything that brought me here at this time was for a reason."

Part 12 - Honors

Oh yes, the reason we came to Apple Grove to begin with...

Saturday, June 30th. Apple Grove and Fillmore County were having something very similar to our Promotions and Medals Days. Today, Fillmore County was going to make history.

As we ate breakfast with Mrs. Starnes, prepared by me and Todd with Carole's 'help', we heard a vehicle come up the driveway. It was a silver-gray SUV. To my complete (lack of) surprise, the persons that got out were Jack's boss, the EAD... and the retired Deputy Director.

"We're sorry to intrude upon your breakfast." the DepDirector said after I introduced them to Mrs. Starnes. "We'll wait for you to finish."

"You'll have breakfast with us," insisted Mrs. Starnes, "and I'll not hear a word to the contrary." The DepDirector knew to not argue with a determined old lady, and they sat down with us.

I was sitting at one end of the table, and the two FBI leaders sat on that end with me. I quietly filled them in on everything that happened, and told the EAD that what happened in my County might require a Federal prosecution.

"I do have one bit of news." said the DepDirector. "The files the Guardians of Justice hacked contained a document with chemical formulas. Lloyd Feingold was able to send that document to us before he was caught and murdered. And two of the chemical formulas are the formulas of the herbicides they used here as well as in your County. We've got a huge case for that now."

"Our only question," said the EAD, "is if we should start up with it now, or if you think you have a shot at getting Feingold's murderer first."

"Keep preparing your case," I said, "and the others like them that will be coming out. But yes, I do think I have a shot to get Mittens Willis. I'm going to start working on it when I get home."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Bleachers were set up at the front of the public park on the west side of the square. A podium facing the bleachers was set up at the base of the steps of the Courthouse. There were a number of folding chairs to the sides of the podium for honored guests.

I had dressed in my semi-formal uniform, with rows of ribbons and the Medal of Valor. I did not want to overdo it; today was not about me. However... Teresa was wearing her formal uniform with medals, including her MOV, and she was less than pleased at my attire.

"Commander," she said, bringing out my formal jacket, which I'd not brought with me, but she obviously had, "this is a BFD. Put on the full-meal-deal jacket, to honor this occasion." I didn't argue. I changed jackets.

We all piled into cars and went into Apple Grove. My family had seats in the bleachers. Many townspeople had brought chairs and were sitting in them along the sidewalk and in the park, and others would be standing to watch.

A bus bringing a contingent from Providence Springs came in, everyone wearing their 'Sunday best' for the occasion. Davis Smith and Gregg Scott were among the group, wearing red ties with their dark gray suits. Good Wildcat colors.

We were all surprised at the bus that came up after the Providence Springs bus. It was a sleek, brand new bus, and was painted red and black with gold trim. It was a campus bus from my alma mater. Young men wearing dark gray suits and red ties began getting off. They were members of the Wildcat football team. Jamaal Washington was there, as was the quarterback Johnson and the running back Appletree. Many defensive players were also there. Davis Smith and Gregg Scott went to greet them. I did, as well.

I shook hands with Jamaal Washington. Carole had run up to him, and he picked her up and gave her a hug. I greeted Coach Richmond, then greeted the defensive coordinator, my friend Coach Erskine 'Iron Man' Marshall. Also on the bus was my friend, the Airborne Colonel who headed the ROTC Department. He deserved to be here; he'd helped win the Battle of Providence Springs. The FBI DepDirector also spoke to him for some minutes.

"Yeah, Davis and Gregg said today was a big deal." said Marshall. "So we brought some guys up. They'll ride with us back to School. Summer camp starts soon."

"I'm looking forward to that." I said. "Nothing like Wildcats football in the Fall..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

People got settled in, and as the Courthouse clock chimed 10:00am, the festivities began. First, the FCHS Band marched through, playing Seventy-Six Trombones as they marched along the street. They made a loop around the Square.

Then Police Chief Hall took the podium. "The Apple Grove Police Department would like to thank a couple of Troys for their tremendous help in solving the recent murder case." He called me up to the podium... and called up Carole, as well. Captain Leanne Wisocky handed us official Certificates of Appreciation from the AGPD. Carole was very polite as she shook Leanne's hand and said "Thank you." as she was handed hers. This was Carole's first official citation from a Police Department.

It would not be her last.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Then Sheriff Greenwood took the podium. "We're honored to have with us some of the people that won what has become known as the Battle of Providence Springs, liberating Apple Grove and Fillmore County from the Evil that had tried to take root here.. Commander Troy and some of his family, some of the FBI Agents and military persons that were there have come back today to witness the fruit of that night."

"Today," said Sheriff Greenwood, "we are swearing in Fillmore County's newest Deputy Sheriff, Tyrone Biggs... the first black person to become a Fillmore County Deputy Sheriff in our long history."

Applause, which became a standing ovation, broke out as Tyrone Biggs came forth. He had been determined to become a Deputy Sheriff, and he'd worked his butt off for it. He first had to get at least an Associate's Degree. Wildcat School had agreed to transfer his few credits from the School he'd played football for, but had been kicked off the team for drug use. It's possible that they were influenced by recommendations from the Wildcat football coaches and ROTC Professor of Military Science, as well as a former Psychology professor at that School.

But Tyrone went for more, and through the Wildcat Online program, he got his full Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice. And he'd worked his body back into the peak physical condition of his football playing days. The Police Academy had been relatively easy, but the Instructors noted that his determination and focus were the best they'd ever seen. He made Top 10% of his Class.

As Tyrone and his elderly mother came up, I noticed the Bible she was holding, that Tyrone put his hand on as he took the Oath of Office. I made sure my face did not reveal that I had seen that Bible before. It was the Bible that had been laid on the back of the deceased Sheriff Spaulding, whose body was placed on the exact same spot where he'd dumped the body of Junior Biggs, Tyrone's father... the Bible which I happened to know had Deuteronomy 32:35 highlighted.

After Tyrone took the oath, I was asked to come forward and pin Tyrone's Sheriff badge onto his uniform shirt. I'd been invited to do so weeks before, by Tyrone and by Sheriff Greenwood, and I was honored to do it. I noticed Tyrone's face trying hard to hold back emotions as I slipped the clip of the badge into the slot on his brown uniform shirt.

"Your father is very proud of you right now." I whispered as I shook his hand. Tyrone grabbed me in a bear hug, which I returned for several seconds, both of us feeling a range of emotions at this moment.

After the hug, I pointed at Tyrone and went back to my seat as he was given a huge ovation. Sheriff Greenwood invited him to the podium to say a few words. Tyrone thanked his mother, and stopped to share a warm hug with her. He thanked the People of Apple Grove and Providence Springs and Fillmore County for the opportunity, then thanked Wildcat School for giving him the opportunity to finish his education.

"And last," he said, "to those of you who were here on the night of the Battle of Providence Springs, I will always be grateful to you. As to Commander Donald Troy..." he broke into a grin as he continued: "I want you Wildcat players to know that he was on the high school football team with me... and he was one lousy football player." People laughed as I just shrugged; he was right, I'd been a lousy football player.

"But he is a great Detective, a true leader of others, and a man of the very highest integrity." said Biggs. "I promise you, the People of Fillmore County, that I will strive to serve you with the same honor and integrity that he has shown to all of us." Tyrone ended his speech to another huge ovation. Everyone then went to the Park, where a ton (probably literally) of cake was being served.

"What did Carole do to earn that citation?" Jamaal Washington asked me as we ate cake. I told him of her observations, which directly led to the successful arrests. "Wow, Carole," he said to my daughter who was standing next to us. "That's awesome! You're going to be a great Detective like your dad!" They fist-bumped.

"I'm going to be eee-ven better!" Carole declared loudly. People looked on with surprise, but I grinned happily.

"THAT'S what I like to hear!" I said. I noticed out of the corner of my eye that Teresa was looking on, a bit stunned and a bit skeptical. She would learn, over time, that Carole was right. As usual.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I went by the Police Station before going home. I turned in my notes and write-ups for their cases. Everyone wanted pictures with me, as I had my formal uniform on, and I acquiesced.

I did speak privately with Leanne in her office.

"I guess you know." she said. "I guess you've always known."

"Oh yes." I said. "Your husband has family that works for BigAgraFoods, and the leaders of that company are rotten bullies enough to pressure him and you into keeping them informed about... things."

12