Rich Man, Poor Man

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
woodmanone
woodmanone
2,290 Followers

The guard recognized me and let me into the building and onto the elevator. He must have called and let Becky know I was on my way up because her door was standing open. I entered the apartment and called out for Becky. She answered and told me to have a beer and grab a seat that she was going to take a shower and would be right out.

"Don't bother cleaning up. I can't take you out tonight after all," I said. I hadn't made that decision until I walked into her apartment.

"We're not going out?" Becky asked as she walked out of the hallway leading to her bedroom wearing only a large towel wrapped around her.

"Becky, I'm just fooling myself here. You're different that I am and I don't see us headed in the same direction. I'm sorry, I did call earlier to cancel, but you didn't answer." I hadn't really called but she didn't have to know that; I was trying to make a point here.

She smiled at me and asked, "Is this the money thing again? I'm not better than you because my family's rich."

"No, this isn't about money and I didn't say better, I said different." I answered with a little force.

Becky wasn't smiling any more. "I don't understand," she said with a puzzled look.

"Becky I saw you get out of the Mustang just now. It was apparent that you and the guy had been making out; I don't know maybe it was more. I would never rush from one date to another with just minutes to spare."

"Oh that was Roger, he's just a friend from home and dropped by to say hello. He doesn't mean anything to me Jamie." She was smiling again; sure that she had solved my problem.

"I'm not judging you Becky but that's what I meant about us being different. You don't see a problem with going at it hot and heavy with someone even if he doesn't mean anything to you and then going on a date with another guy a few minutes later. Look Becky, I don't have the right to tell you who to see or be with or what to do, but I do have the right to decide if I want to be a part of that lifestyle and I don't." I watched Becky and I don't think she really understood why I was upset.

"You said you wanted to thank me for my help. Well, you've done that better than anything I could have imagined. The bourbon, the great dinner, and then the evening with you were all wonderful. So your debt is paid, and thanks for a great evening. I hope to see you around sometime."

I left her apartment and rode the elevator down. The security guard was there and told me that Miss Colman would like for me to wait for her. I smiled, shook my head and kept walking toward the front door. "I'm sorry sir but I've been instructed to detain you until Miss Colman can get here," the guard said as he walked to intercept me.

"You will really be sorry if you try to stop me, buddy. Believe me they don't pay you enough for that." I must have made my point because he stepped aside.

The pizza joint was packed and I joined some friends for the evening. The next day I did routine things like laundry, apartment cleaning, and getting a head start on some of my classes for next week. I didn't think about Becky more than once or twice an hour. Finally, I laughed at myself and put her out of my mind. It was an amazing interlude in my life but it was just one night.

Three days later, Becky was waiting for me as I came out of my last class of the day. She was sitting on a bench outside the lecture hall and stood up when she saw me. I was surprised to see her but never once thought she was waiting for me. Becky intercepted me as I was walking away. I don't think Becky was use to people, especially men, not doing what she wanted. She had to reach out and take my arm to get me to stop.

"Hey, wait up," she said. "Did I piss you off so much that you won't even talk to me? Can I talk to you about Saturday?"

I laughed a little and responded, "I'm not mad at you; I just don't see the point in talking. Your life style isn't something I want to be involved in, so why waste time talking about it."

"That's sort of a provincial way of looking at things, don't you think?"

"Don't know about that, but it's the way I feel," I answered with feeling. "You apparently think of sex as a recreational sport and I don't. Maybe it's because I'm a little older and I've gone through that phase in my life but I want making love to mean more than just horizontal exercise." I sure sound like some bible thumping preacher, I thought.

"My, aren't you the prude all of a sudden?" Becky was insulted; I could hear it in her voice. "You didn't seem to mind my life style Friday night, now did you?"

"I'm sorry; I know I sound like a sanctimonious jerk. I don't mean to criticize you; it's your choice on how you live your life. There is nothing wrong with you or your life style; it's just wrong for me." I gave her a little hug and started to walk away; I had to get to work.

"Maybe we could have a little fun?" Becky had stepped in front of me.

"Why this sudden interest in me? I know we had a good time Friday but according to what you said, it was not that big of a deal to you. So why this full court press?"

"I enjoyed our night together but more than that you're a good person. I haven't been involved with too many good people lately and thought you and I could spend some time together. You were more concerned with my pleasure than yours; that was something new, believe me."

I thought for a few seconds and answered, "Thanks for the compliment but I think I'll pass. See ya around Becky."

For the rest of my senior year Becky would smile and wave at me when I saw her around the campus. She called a few times, not begging but just wanting to know if I had changed my mind; I hadn't. I heard through the college grapevine that she was still living the free life style and was dating several different men.

*****************

I graduated in the top 5 per cent of my class with a double major in Computer Science and System Analysis. A medium size manufacturing firm offered me a position and I jumped at it. It was strange not to have to run to a night job like I had done all through college.

Two years later a head hunter contacted me with a job offer with JCOL Enterprises, another big manufacturing company. The salary was almost twice what I was making and included some very nice perks. A company car, country club membership, and stock options were just a few of the extras. I owed it to myself to take the interview with the company just to check it out.

I had an interview with the HR manager, a Vice President of sales, and the IT department head. We discussed the building and revamping of a web site, internet marketing, and other general IT aspects to the business. It was a strange interview and the questions were general and not very probing. I felt that the three men were stalling and waiting for something. Oh the job offer was real and we did discuss the duties and area of responsibility for the position, but something wasn't quite right.

The door to the office opened behind me and the three men stood up to greet whoever came in. I also stood, turned, and got a surprise. The man joining us was Jason Colman, Rebecca's father. I recognized him from the pictures in her apartment and the stories in the financial section of the paper. The stalling tactics were explained, the three had been waiting on Mr. Colman.

"Hello Jamie, I understand you prefer that to James. It's nice to finally meet you," Mr. Colman shook my hand and motioned for me to sit back down.

Turning to the three men he asked, "Well, how does he stack up? Can we put him to use and will he be an asset for us?" All three nodded their heads or verbally indicated that I was the real deal.

"What do you say Jamie? Would you like to join us and bring our IT department into the 21st century?"

Until Mr. Colman walked in I had decided to take the job. His presence put that decision on hold for the moment. "I'm not sure Mr. Colman."

He seemed surprised and asked, "The starting salary and perks are quite generous but I guess we could negotiate on those."

"It's not that Mr. Colman. I wonder if this offer isn't because of what I did for Rebecca."

"Jamie I won't lie to you. Even though that incident was three years ago, that's part of my interest in you but only because it showed that you are a young man with character and good morals. I admired your actions in saving her from those men and the fact that you stood by your convictions concerning her wild life. Yeah, I know all about you breaking up with Rebecca because of her life style." He smiled at me, offered me a cup of coffee, and continued.

"Let me assure you that even though I am grateful and admire you, gratitude only goes so far. I'm always on the lookout for good people that can be an asset to my company; that's why I have scouts always looking for additions to my business. When my people came up with your name and explained the great job you had been doing, I already knew about your character so I had them offer you this position. This is strictly a business proposition, nothing else is involved. So do you want the job?"

I looked at Mr. Colman trying to gage his sincerity. "It's a great offer Mr. Colman, but I would like to think about it for a day or two, if that's alright," I told him.

"Jamie, you can have until tomorrow noon. The assistant director of our IT department is going to England in three months to manage the IT department in that branch and we have to get on the stick to get someone in here to replace him. You're my first choice but there are other candidates also and we can't afford to wait too long. Okay?"

I nodded, shook hands all around, and left the office. When I left my current office for the interview I had made arrangements to take off the rest of the day. I grabbed some lunch and went to my condo to think about the job offer. As I had told Mr. Colman the offer was a great opportunity for anyone but especially someone my age.

Sitting on the balcony with my first and last Gentleman Jack of the day, I thought about the offer. The only drawback that I could see was that the position may have been offered to me because of Mr. Colman's gratitude over the incident in college. But Mr. Colman denied that was the reason.

After about 20 minutes I realized that no matter why I got the job, I would do well and be an asset to the company. I may get the job because of Mr. Colman's regard for me but I would keep it because I could do the work. Take the job dummy, I told myself.

I called the HR manager the first thing the next morning and accepted the position but told him I would have to give a month's notice to my current employer. There was a project winding down and I didn't want to leave them in a bind. He understood and told me to report to him in 30 days. In the mean time he said he would send over some documentation on their systems so I could hit the ground running when I reported in.

*******************

For eighteen months I did exactly what Mr. Colman had asked in my interview, I brought the company's IT department into the 21st century. The head of the IT department, Bill Myers, was more a sales orientated type and running the department was pretty much left up to me. I was the fair haired boy and had received a couple of large bonuses, and received another perk for my work.

The company provided me with a large suite in a concierge type hotel. The apartment had two master bedrooms separated by a large area that consisted of a living room, dining room, and a galley type kitchen. It came with all the amenities; all I had to do was sleep, eat, and leave for work.

The hotel provided maid service, laundry service and just about any other service I could think of as part of the package. I could even leave a menu with the main desk and dinner would be ready at whatever time I told them. It was a great way to live.

I wasn't dating very much, maybe going out for pizza and beer once in awhile; I used my spare time to develop a program for purchasing and inventory control. It was designed for a small business and my company had no interest in the soft ware.

One small addition to my contract that I had asked for stated that any programs I designed that weren't wanted by my employer were mine to sell. I got the okay and clearance from Bill Myers and licensed the program out; receiving a large initial dollar contract plus royalties from future sales.

I had missed my first company Christmas party because I was working after hours on my program. This year it was suggested by higher ups that I make it a point to attend; actually it was more of an order than a suggestion.

The company's Christmas party by invitation only was held at one of the finest hotels in the city with no expense spared. My invitation read: Mr. James O'Connor and guest. I wasn't dating anyone; I had been concentrating on my job and on my inventory program, so I went alone. My plan was to put in an appearance, stay long enough to satisfy the powers to be, and then join a couple of friends at a neighborhood tavern.

There was a buffet that would have done justice to any five star restaurant and at least five free bars scattered around the ball room. The seating arrangements were a little unusual; each table had assigned seating with representatives from each of the major departments of the company required to sit together.

Randy Smyth-Jones, the head of HR, explained to me that this arrangement was conducive to a better understanding between departments of their needs and requirements. It was a good idea because a person was a little more receptive to other's problems if they had partied together. You have to hand it to Mr. Colman; even at a party he was trying to improve his company.

The executive table was no exception; Mr. Colman and the head of the departments were seated together. For some reason my presence was requested at that table; actually it wasn't a request, again it was an order. I wasn't a department head but I was told "you will sit here, Mr. O'Connor".

My fellow table mates were Randy the head of the HR department, Gillian Grisham head of Sales and Marketing, Rob Johnson head of Production and Mr. Colman himself. The two men department heads were accompanied by their spouses; Gillian's guest was Mel, her current live in boyfriend.

Mr. Colman, Jason at least for the party, had a young lady that had to be about half his age as his guest. Her name was Cindy and after ten minutes you understood that she was a trophy and nothing more. I never learned what had happened to Rebecca's mother. There was a rumor about her and a personal trainer but I didn't have the nerve or the interest to ask for more information.

There were nine people at our table and one empty chair. I felt of out of place because I didn't have the plus one that the invitation allowed; but it didn't really matter because I planned on ducking out ASAP. About thirty minutes after every one sat down, the empty chair was filled. Rebecca swept in and sat down next to me, smiling at the surprised look on my face.

"Hi Jamie, it's good to see you. How have you been?" She talked as if we had parted as the best of friends.

I nodded, said hello, and looked at Mr. Colman as if to say what the hell? Rebecca has crossed my mind once in a while in the three years plus since college. Every time I saw Mr. Colman I had to think of Rebecca and our short time together. I wasn't carrying a torch for her but considering my lack of female companionship recently I did think about the one fantastic evening we shared and had played a little "what if?" in my head.

Now here she was, sitting next to me. Rebecca hadn't changed very much, if anything she was even more beautiful than before. Her blond hair was now in a pixie cut rather than worn down her back. From what I could see, and the dress she was wearing let me see a lot, her body was even firmer and more toned than it had been in college. The dress was maroon, mid thigh, low cut in the front and back; not slutty but a blind man would have watched her walk across the room.

"I didn't know you came to these company things Rebecca."

"Normally I don't." I must have looked puzzled so she continued," I was another party at the hotel across the street, that's why I'm dressed up, and Daddy called and asked me to come over. I wasn't going to until he told me why he wanted me here."

"And why did he want you here?" I was puzzled.

"He said that one of his rising stars came to the party alone and need a companion for the evening," Rebecca answered with a small smile.

"Is that something you do a lot, be a stand in date I mean?"

"I've never done it before and wasn't going to this time until he told me who my "date" would be." Again she was smiling, but bigger this time.

"Okay, I'll bite. Who is this guy that gets the pleasure of your company?" I felt sorry for the poor guy, because Rebecca looked amazing. He was going to look at, dance with, and spend the evening with someone he would never have a chance of being anything more than a onetime date; and only as a favor to her father. It would be torture by temptation.

"For a rising star in the company, you can be pretty dense sometimes," Rebecca replied, again with that smile.

"Huh?" That was my brilliant response.

"You're the rising star Jamie. Daddy said he wanted you to have a fun evening. If you sat at the table all evening watching and listening to the other couples you wouldn't have any fun; ergo Rebecca to the rescue. "Enough talk, let's dance," Rebecca said.

Gobsmacked is what our English friends call it. It means you're so amazed or surprised at something that your mouth opens and closes involuntarily. That was me, gobsmacked. Why would Mr. Colman care if I didn't have a date and why would he draft his daughter to remedy the situation?

The band was playing a set of only slow songs which allowed Rebecca and me to talk and get caught up to date on our lives since college. I found out that she had went to Europe for two years after graduation and then came back and was now working at a subsidiary of father's company. She had just moved back to the main office here in town a couple of months ago. Rebecca told me that she didn't even know I was working for her father until he called and asked for her help that evening.

Buried in the IT department like I was and she being with an autonomous branch of the company, our paths hadn't crossed. I told my tale of working at another company for two years and how the head hunter found and recruited me. She smiled when I told her I almost didn't take the job because of my concerns as to her father's motives for hiring me.

"Only my White Knight would worry about why instead of how much. You're still Sir Galahad aren't you?"

"I don't know about that but I still have the same convictions as I did in college. Some things you never outgrow I guess," I answered.

"Maybe but there are some things you do outgrow or think about differently," Rebecca replied.

For some reason I thought about her life style in college; who am I kidding, the reason I thought about her attitude toward sex was her body plastered against me as we danced. It seems the little head was willing to forgive and forget anything to get its way; it showed its willingness by getting hard as Rebecca rubbed against me. My only defense is that because of my work load I had been celibate for over four months.

"I see that there are some things that don't change," Rebecca said with a smile when she felt my arousal.

"Sorry," I said as I pulled back from her a little. "It's been a long time since I danced with a beautiful woman and my body forgot its manners."

Rebecca pulled me back tight against her and said, "I like you manners just fine. Quit thinking and dance with me."

The rest of the evening was sort of a blur to me. I remember sitting at the table socializing with the other people, although I don't remember what we talked about, the company and business I guess. But what I remember best was the dances with Rebecca and her laughing at the effect she had on me. She wasn't being cruel or sadistic; she said she was flattered and was laughing with me. Funny I didn't find the humor in the whole thing.

woodmanone
woodmanone
2,290 Followers
123456...9