Ride For The Sun Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
woodmanone
woodmanone
2,287 Followers

Two days later he found the spring and decided to hole up for a spell.

********************

"Reckon we've laid around long enough," Rafe told his horses after another full day at the spring. He filled all three of his canteens, watered the horse one last time and at dusk headed out. "Should ride into Pecos about midday Bowie. I'll get you boys some real grain and me a decent meal when we get there. We'll rest for a night and then it's on to New Mexico."

Rafe wasn't far off with his time estimate. He was almost to Pecos when he got to thinking. If Sheldon's men got to Van Horn they'll realize I wasn't headed that way, he thought. They could send telegrams to other towns in these parts to see if a man on a Palomino had ridden through.

"Now it wouldn't be too smart to let them see us together would it Bowie? I doubt they'd recognize me but you stand out a bit," Rafe told his horse as he patted his neck. "Tell you what, we'll ride around Pecos and find a wash or a gulley or somethin to hide you in. I'll ride Buddy into town, get some supplies, and see if anyone is lookin for us. " Rafe chuckled as the horse shook his head. "Don't worry I'll bring you back some grain and molasses as a treat."

Rafe found a deep wash at the bottom of a small hill and hid Bowie in a stand of Palo Verde. He hobbled the horse and tied him off to one of the trees so he could graze on the sparse vegetation. Rafe fed Bowie the last of the oats and gave him water. Bowie was less likely to raise a fuss now that he was fed and watered.

Riding slowly Rafe entered Pecos. He bought a feed bag of oat mash for Buddy from the livery stable, put it on the horse and tied him to the hitching rail in front of a saloon. The horse could eat while Rafe had a meal in the saloon and listen to the men gossip like old women. As he sat at a table eating a boot tough steak the town Marshal came into the saloon.

The Marshal made a circuit of the room, leaned against the bar, and got a beer. Then he saw Rafe sitting at the table. He walked over and sat down across from Rafe. "Mind if I join you?" The Marshal asked. "I'm Tom Stoddard, the Town Marshal. And you'd be?"

Swallowing a piece of the chewy steak Rafe answered, "I'm Sam Talbert Marshall."

"Are you passin through or you gonna stay a spell?"

Rafe looked at Stoddard before he answered. The man was short and squat but he had an air of confidence about him. He'd be a hard man to cross Rafe thought.

"Just passin through," Rafe replied. "Headed down back home to Odessa."

"Names Talbert you say?" Marshal Stoddard asked with a sarcastic tone. Rafe nodded. "Got a telegram from Sheriff Joe Harris over to Fort Stockton; we've been friends for close to 20 years you know. Said a fellar got into it with the son of Reece Sheldon, the big he bull in those parts. Said this fellar had to shoot the boy in self defense." The Marshal looked at Rafe to see his reaction.

William Cassidy had taught his grandson how to play cards and to keep a poker face. Rafe put that lesson to good use and didn't react to the Marshal.

"Joe said this fellar was dealt a bad hand but that he, Harris I mean, couldn't do anything about it," the Marshal continued. Said he advised this fellar to leave town."

"That's an interesting story Marshal. But it's got nothing to do with me," Rafe said.

The Marshal ignored Rafe's statement. "Joe said this fellar, name of Rafe Cassidy, had a scar on the right side of his face. Said he was riding a big Palomino stallion and carried an ivory handled Remington." Looking into Rafe's eyes the Marshal observed, "Now I didn't see no Palomino tied up outside Mr. Talbert but I did see a sorrel that looks like he's been travelin hard." Pointing to Rafe's pistol he added, "But that there is a ivory handled six shooter. Not to mention that scar of yourn. "

Rafe looked around to see if anyone else had heard the Marshal. He tensed and was about to stand and leave. The Marshal held up his hand and motioned Rafe to stay seated.

"Reason I'm tellin you all this Mr Talbert, is so you can keep a look out for this fellar on the Palomino. That Reece Sheldon has put a $500 reward out for him. Saw the telegram posted at the telegraph office myself. It's also posted in most of the businesses in town. Thought if you spotted him you might make yourself a lot of money." The Marshal took a drink of his beer and stared at Rafe for a few seconds.

"It's for sure that others are gonna be looking for this fellar; $500 is more than a year's wages to most." Looking around the Marshal lowered his voice. "If you was figuring on stayin a spell you might want to change your mind Mr. Talbert. Maybe head on home to Odessa."

Three cowboys standing at the bar were watching the Marshal and Rafe closely. They would stare at Rafe and then talk among themselves. Marshal Stoddard stood.

"Let me show you the road to Odessa Mr. Talbert," the Marshal said in a loud voice. Loud enough that the three cowhands could hear him. "You'll have daylight for another 5 or 6 hour and you can get in a lot of miles before night fall." Stoddard could see the three men relax.

"Believe we threw those three in the saloon off your trail," Stoddard said softly to Rafe as they left the saloon. "At least for now anyway."

"Thank you Marshal."

Out in the street Marshal Stoddard made a suggestion. "I understand you can't head back east and those telegrams said you was headed west. Were me I'd ride northwest to New Mexico. Maybe up to Roswell. That trail is across the Estacado but with nobody chasin you and ridin easy you can make it in 10 days or so. You can head west from there." Marshal Stoddard shook hands with Rafe and added, "Course that's just an old trail hand's opinion. Take it easy Rafe."

Rafe rode east on the trail to Odessa and stopped at a Mexican store and cantina on the outskirts of Pecos. He picked a few supplies and continued east until Pecos was out of sight; then he turned back toward the gulley where he'd left Bowie. He switched his saddle back to the big Palomino and put the pack saddle back on Buddy. Rafe headed northwest toward New Mexico and Roswell.

********************

Marshal Stoddard was right, Rafe thought as he rode into Roswell. It was ten days on the trail. He rode to the livery and stabled his horses. Before he put them in their stalls he unsaddled and washed them down. They had a lot of alkali dust on them.

"Give em a good corn mash Mister," Rafe ordered as he paid the stable hand. "We've come a long way and got a long way to go. Those two are my best friends in this world so take good care of them for me."

"Gonna be here long Mister?" The livery man asked. "If y'all gonna stay for a few days, I'll put your horses in stalls that open into the corral. That way they won't be cooped up in a small space." The man smiled. "Being they're your best friends and all."

"How much extra will this concern for my friends cost me?" Rafe asked with an answering smile.

"Extra dollar a day for the pair ought to handle it, Mister....?"

Rafe caught himself about to give his real name. No need to advertize that I'm here, he thought. "Talbert, Sam Talbert. Reckon I'll be here for a couple of days so go ahead and put them in the bigger stalls. I'll settle up with you when I leave." "I'm Jake, Mr. Talbert. I'll take good care of em for you," the livery man said. He turned to put Bowie and Buddy into their special stalls. "Bad Lands Café down the street yonder serves a right nice supper if you're hungry."

Rafe nodded his thanks and walked to the café. "Reckon I deserve a good meal too," he said aloud.

A big jolly woman met him at the door as he entered the café. "Have a seat anywhere you like young man. I'll be right with you," she said.

Rafe sat down and the woman brought a cup and coffee pot to his table. She sat the cup in front of Rafe filled it and said, "Steak, fried potatoes, corn on the cob, and apple pie are the special tonight. Or I can fix you something else."

"The special will be fine ma'am," he answered with a grin. She reminds me of Ma, he thought. Waiting for his supper he thought about his folks and got a little homesick.

He'd made arrangements with the livery to sleep in the loft and after supper he returned to the stable. Rafe could have afforded better accommodations but thought he'd better save as much of his stake as he could. He had close to $300 given to him by his family before he left home. There was also a bank draft for one thousand dollars from his Grandpa. Another gift to help Rafe start his new life. It's a long way to California, he said to himself. Reckon I'll hole up for three or four days and let Bowie and Buddy rest up. Won't hurt me to take it easy for a spell either.

Rafe had just sat down in the café for the third night in a row. Emma the waitress and owner came over to the table with coffee and told him the special of the day. As he finished his supper of pork chops, corn, and potatoes a big man with a star on his chest sat down at his table.

The lawman was close to 6' 4 with a big body to go with his height. He carried a short double barreled scatter gun known as a coach gun. It was usually used by armed guards on stage coaches and freight wagons.

"Howdy. I'm Henry Johnson the Town Marshal," he said with a smile and laid his shotgun on the table in front of him. Rafe nodded but didn't offer his name.

"Got a story to tell you son," Marshal Johnson continued. "Jimmy tolt me about a interesting telegram he got today."

"I don't know a Jimmy or about any telegram Marshal," Rafe replied.

"Jimmy's the operator at the telegraph office," Johnson explained ignoring Rafe's comment. "Anyway he said he got a telegram from Pecos talkin about a Rafe Cassidy passin through there. It described this Cassidy and his horse pretty good. Said the man rode a cream colored Palomino. Said he had dark hair and was sorta tall. Also said he had a scar runnin down the right side of his face."

The Marshal gestured at a biscuit on Rafe's plate. Rafe nodded and Johnson picked it up and took a bite. Emma brought the Marshal a cup of coffee and went back to the kitchen.

"The message was to a Ralph Colbert. He's sort of a bounty hunter and hired gun that works out of Roswell sometimes. Seems some man named Reece Sheldon is offering $500 for the capture and return of this Cassidy to Fort Stockton." Johnson paused and shook his head. "Cassidy must of done something pretty bad to have a private citizen offer a reward for him."

Rafe still didn't respond to the Marshal but he did lean back in his chair to free up his pistol and his gun hand. He picked up his cup of coffee with his left hand and took a drink. "Could be that this private citizen has a vendetta against this Cassidy fellar," Rafe offered.

"Don't lean too far back in the chair son," Marshal Johnson said as he slowly put his hand on the butt of scattergun on the table. "You might fall over and hurt yourself."

Rafe looked the Marshal in the eye and after several seconds relaxed. Johnson nodded. "I know you're Cassidy and I know you've been here for three days." At Rafe's surprised look he added, "I like to know what's goin on in my town."

Johnson raised his empty cup to Emma. She came and refilled both cups and went back to the kitchen. "Like I said I know you been here a spell but I think it's time for you to ride on." Rafe started to speak but Johnson held up his hand.

"I don't want no trouble in my town. You don't have the looks of a man that'll just let Colbert take you back. Innocent people in my town could get hurt if you two face off. I ain't gonna have it. Ride on son. Please."

"You could tell this Colbert to leave Marshall," Rafe said with a little anger. "I've done nothing to be run out of town."

"Now don't get on the prod with me. I intend to talk to Colbert later tonight over at the saloon and give him the same suggestion." Johnson took a drink of his coffee. "Look Cassidy, I won't make you leave but if you and Colbert tangle and someone in town gets hurt I'll arrest whoever is left standin. I don't think you'd like the jails in New Mexico."

Rafe sat for about 30 seconds thinking about the Marshal's request. "Why are you warning me Marshal? This is the third time a lawman has done that."

"Can't speak for the others but I don't like people takin the law into their own hands," Johnson answered. "If there was a warrant on you, I'd arrest you and send a telegram telling em to come and get you. But I have a hard time lettin some rich rancher decide that he's above the law."

Emma brought two pieces of pie to the table surprising both men. "You boys look much too serious. Have some pie and relax," she ordered with a smile. Both men nodded and took a bite of the apple pie.

"I'll leave in the morning Marshal," Rafe said. "I was planning on movin on anyway. But..."

"But what Rafe?"

"If Colbert or anyone else tries to take me back, I'll defend myself," Rafe answered. Johnson nodded. "I'll leave at daybreak," Rafe added.

As Rafe saddled Bowie the next morning, Marshal Johnson rode up to the livery stable. "Thought I ride with you for a spell," he said. "I talked to Colbert last night and he said he was leavin too." Johnson chuckled but said in a serious voice, "Don't want you two crossin paths this morning."

"Where you headed?" Johnson asked as they rode toward the edge of Roswell.

"Reckon I'll head to California," Rafe answered. "Never been there and I hear there's good land for the settlin. Thought I'd get a job with one of the ranches and maybe end up ownin my own place one of these days."

"Oh hell," Johnson said. He pointed with his chin toward a man sitting on a horse waiting for them just outside of the town limits. "That's Colbert; reckon he decided he'd brace you outside of my jurisdiction."

Johnson rode in front of Rafe and confronted Colbert. "Thought I told you to let it be Colbert."

"Marshal I followed your orders and didn't start anything in town," Colbert replied. "But you got no say out here." Turning to Rafe he ordered, "Reece Sheldon wants you back at Fort Stockton Cassidy. Drop your pistol and your rifle boy and come peaceful."

He's a hard one, Rafe thought as he looked at the man that wanted to take him to Sheldon. Reckon Colbert's about my height but he's probably got thirty pounds on me. Wears his pistol tied low on his hip; Yep he's a gun hand alright. This man won't back down.

Rafe guided Bowie out from behind the Marshal. "Don't reckon I'll let you take me back Colbert. You that hard up for money that you got to do Sheldon's bidding?"

"Man's gotta make a livin and I don't cotton to pushin cattle," Colbert answered. "I'll tell you one more time put down your guns."

"Gettin killed ain't much of a way to live Mister," Rafe replied.

Colbert pulled his pistol but his horse shied at the sudden movement. Bowie was better trained and didn't move as Rafe pulled his Remington and shot Colbert. The man fell over the rump of his horse to the ground.

Marshal Johnson had watched the fight. He got off his horse and looked at the man on the ground. Colbert had a wound in the middle of his chest. "Reckon he was dead before he hit the ground," Johnson said. "Good thing his horse acted up Rafe."

"Didn't make a difference Marshal. I'd already cleared my holster before he brought his gun up." Rafe rode closer and shook his head. "He was dead the minute he came out here to face me."

"Bit of braggin there don't you think?"

"No sir. My grandpa William taught me to shoot. He was a pretty good gun hand and a lawman before he met my Grandma."

"You're William Cassidy's grandson?" Johnson asked. "Hell I heard tell about him when I was grownin up in DeWitt, Texas. Didn't they call him Pistol Bill when he was the Bexar County Sheriff?"

"Yes sir they did," Rafe said with a smile. "Called him that because he wore two guns and wasn't afraid to use them."

Johnson looked down at Colbert's body. "Y'all head out Rafe. I'll take care of this."

"Would you do something for me Marshal?" Johnson nodded. "Send a telegram to my folks in San Antonio and let them know I'm okay and that I'll write them when I get settled somewheres."

Johnson nodded again and Rafe mounted Bowie. He touched his hat brim in a salute, turned westward and continued his ride for the sun.

To be continued.

woodmanone
woodmanone
2,287 Followers