Ride For The Sun Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
woodmanone
woodmanone
2,294 Followers

The R Bar R was growing. The Riley's and their new son in law were able to ship almost two hundred head this year; about double what they'd sold for market the previous year. Emmett decided to keep Bob Turner on as a full time hand; he felt if the ranch kept growing they might even have to hire another hand or two.

"Reckon you've been good luck for us Rafe," Emmett said one evening shortly after they returned from the cattle drive.

Rafe grabbed Emma's hand as she was clearing the table and pulled her onto his lap. "I think I'm the one that got lucky," he said as he hugged his wife.

********************

Pulling Bowie to a stop on top of one of the foothills at the base of the Mogollon Rim towering above the ranch, Rafe looked down into the valley below. He stepped off of Bowie and slipped his bit so the horse could graze on the sweet spring grass.

We've come a long way in five years, Rafe thought. At the far end of the valley, against the mountains to the west was the new boundary of the R Bar R. After some serious horse trading, Emmett and Rafe bought the Turner ranch. Rafe invested the last of his stake from his folks and became a partner as well as the son in law.

Bob Turner signed on full time after that first round up and was engaged to the Mayor's daughter, Millie. He made it plain that he wanted to stay on the R Bar R even after they got married. "I got all the good parts of ranchin without none of the headaches," Bob told Emmett. "I get to work outdoors, got plenty to eat, and a good place to sleep." Then he smiled and added, "Sides y'all have been real good to me. Don't see no reason for movin on."

Rafe and Emmett had built a sort of bunkhouse for Bob when he made the ranch his home. Now they were building another, larger cabin for Bob and Millie to live in when they married. Rafe kidded that Bob was the ramrod of the outfit.

"But I'm the only hand," Bob said.

"That just makes it easier for you to get the boys to do what they have to," Rafe replied.

Reckon we're gonna have to hire on another man or two this year, Rafe thought as he gazed up at the Rim. Buying the Turner place and increasing the size of the herd is gettin to be too much for three men. Now that we have a son and a daughter, Emma and Molly can't be bothered to work the ranch; they spend all the time with the children.

Rafe had written to his parents in San Antonio telling them about Emma and the wedding. Emma and Rafe's mother, Sarah, wrote to each other at least once a month and about a year after their marriage, it was Emma that told Sarah that she and Barrett were going to be grandparents.

Barrett and Sarah waited until they received the news about the birth of their grandson William Emmett Cassidy and then made the long trip from San Antonio to Camp Verde. They traveled by train from San Antonio to Amarillo, Texas and from there to Flagstaff, Arizona.

Rafe went to Flagstaff and waited overnight for their train. When they finally got off the train, after an early morning run from Holbrook, it was several minutes of Sarah crying and hugging her 'little boy', before Rafe was able to greet his father. It was a welcome reunion for Rafe after not seeing his parents for so long.

Barrett and Sarah were happy to meet Emmet and Molly, when they finally made it down the hill to Camp Verde and the R Bar R ranch. But their most enjoyable thing was meeting Emma and young William.

Barrett and Emmett were both touched that the boy was named William Emmett after each side of the family. Sarah and Molly laughed about the way the two men puffed up with pride almost every time they saw or talked about their namesake.

"If his head gets any bigger with pride, he won't be able to wear his hat," Molly said about Emmett.

"Barrett's the same way. He's about to bust his shirt open puffing up his chest," Sarah replied.

Two years after Barrett and Sarah visited Rafe; they received a letter from Emma and Rafe. They were going to have another child. This time they had a girl who they named Molly Jean; Jean was Sarah's middle name. Little Jeannie was a joy.

********************

"Okay Bowie, time for us to get back to work," Rafe told his horse. "The family's going into town and Emma will want to say good bye."He put the bit back into Bowie's mouth; the big horse snorted and shook his head. "Hold still you big baby," Rafe said. He got the bit set, mounted and headed down the trail to the ranch.

Emma, the two children, and Molly were already in the wagon when Rafe returned. He guided Bowie close to the side where Emma sat. William climbed over his mother to get to Rafe. He picked the boy up and sat him on the saddle in front of him. Emmett climbed into the wagon, nodded, and slapped the reins on the horse's rump. Rafe rode with them to the big cottonwood next to a rock outcropping. He put William back in the wagon, kissed Emma and young Jeannie and turned Bowie back toward the ranch house.

While the family was going to town, Rafe planned to continue digging the foundation for a new house. With Rafe, Emma, the two children, Molly and Emmett, the existing house was getting a little crowded. Rafe and Emma planned to build their own home about a hundred yards upstream of Emmett and Molly's and high above the flood plain of the Verde River. It would offer some privacy and still be close.

Rafe stood and stretched his back; he'd been digging all day with only a few rests. Bob Turner helped for a spell but had to tend to the stock so his time was limited. Another day and the digging should be done, he thought. Rafe looked at the sun and gauged it was about 3 o'clock; he figured that the family should be getting back pretty soon.

He picked up the shovel to start again but stopped when he heard a horse coming at a hard gallop. Rafe walked to where he had laid his Remington and waited for the rider to come into sight. The hard running horse cleared the trees at the edge of the house place. The rider was Reverend Jackson's son Thomas. He saw Rafe and turned his horse toward him. Sawing on the reins, he pulled the animal to a skidding stop.

"Mr. Cassidy, the doc sent me to get you," the young man said trying to catch his breath. "Doc says you better come into town."

"What's wrong?"

"There was a bank robbery and the gang shot up the town as they rode out." Thomas hesitated. "Miss Emma was hurt."

"Are William and Jeannie all right?"

"Yes sir. They're with Mr. Riley at the hotel. Mrs. Riley is with Emma at the Doc's."

Rafe didn't waste time with more questions. He nodded, buckled on his gun belt and ran to the corral whistling for Bowie. He quickly saddled the horse, mounted and put him at a hard gallop back up the river trail to Camp Verde. On the ride he wondered where the hell Sheriff Rawlings had been during the holdup. The Jackson boy and his horse were soon left behind with just the dust from Bowie's pounding hooves hanging in the air.

Bowie sensed his human's mood. He stretched his neck out put his ears back and ran all out. Rafe tried to pull him up and slow down over the roughest part of the trail but Bowie would have none of it. By the time they got to town, Bowie was covered in lather. Rafe rode to the doctor's office and was off the horse before it came to a full stop. He ran the few steps into the Stinson's home, which was also his office. Bowie stood trembling but looking proud of himself.

Judith Stinson, the Doctor's wife, met Rafe as he charged into the office. Judith took his arm to keep him from charging into the examining room. "Jim is in with her; you can see her in a few minutes."

"How bad is she hurt?" Rafe asked.

"I'll let Jim tell you, he'll be finished pretty quick." Seeing the look on Rafe's face she added, "Don't worry, I'm sure she's going to be fine."

"Is Molly here?"

"No, she went to the hotel a few minutes ago. Said she was going to let Emmett know how Emma is."

Rafe was like a caged animal during the five minutes he waited for Doc Stinson. He would pace to the door to the room where Emma lay, stop and stare for a moment, then return to the parlor where Judith sat. She had brought him some coffee but it sat untouched on the table. Unable to stand the waiting Rafe went outside to tend to Bowie. When he came back into the house, Doc Stinson was waiting for him.

"Howdy Rafe," Doc said. "Emma's going to be fine. She's got some injuries but it could have been a lot worse." Holding up his hand to stop the questions from Rafe, he continued. "Emma's got several cuts and bruises. That bump on her head is what's bothering me."

"But she's gonna be okay?"

"I believe so, but we can't be sure until she wakes up." Doc rubbed his chin and paused. "Right now she's in a deep sleep. Again Doc raised his hand before Rafe could say anything. "When someone is injured, usually a head injury, they sometimes go to sleep. Some doctors say it's a way for the body to heal itself. We'll just have to wait until she rejoins us."

"What happened? How did Emma get hurt?" Rafe asked staring at the doorway into the treatment room.

"Those bastards ran her down in the street," Emmett said; his voice was full of anger. He'd come into the parlor as Rafe and the Doc were talking. Seeing the question in his son in law's eyes he added, "The ones that robbed the bank rode her down. Emma was crossing Main Street with William, coming back to meet me and Molly at the general store. They broke out of the bank, threw some shots around, and rode like hell out of town. Emma pushed William out of the way but couldn't get clear herself."

Rafe's face became hard; his blue eyes became sharp and cold.

"You can go in to see her if you like," Doc Stinson told Rafe. "She's asleep, like I said, but I think you need to see that she's doing fine."

Rafe nodded his thanks and went to Emma's side. Entering the room, not knowing what to expect, he very quickly felt a white hot rage build when he saw Emma. The side of her face was one big bruise and her top lip was cut. She had a three inch gash over her right eye which the doctor had sewn closed with catgut stitches. Emma moved in her sleep and gave a small moan of pain.

Doctor Stinson had followed Rafe into the room. He put his hand on the young husband's shoulder. "Emma's strong and healthy so her injuries will heal fine." Pulling a chair over to the side of the bed, the Doctor said, "You can sit with her for a spell if you like son."

Rafe nodded his thanks and settled into the chair, reaching out to take Emma's hand. After an hour, during which Emma continued to sleep, Rafe stood and left the room. Looking around the parlor he asked, "Emmett leave?"

"He said he'd see you at the hotel after you visited with Emma," Judith answered. "He went to help look after your son and daughter."

William came running to his father as Rafe walked into the lobby of the hotel. "Pa, Mama got hurt. Those bad men knocked her down."

"I know Will, but she's gonna be just fine. She's over to Doc Stinson's sleeping right now." Rafe put his arms around his son and hugged him. Thank God you weren't hurt too, he thought. He'd only had eyes for William when he entered the lobby and now looked around. He saw Molly sitting on a sofa, holding Jeannie; Emmet sat next to her. Rafe walked over and picked his daughter up and hugged her for a moment whispering warmly in her ear .

"You help Grandma with your sister while I talk to Grandpa," he told the boy. Rafe motioned with his head for Emmett to follow him and went outside. He leaned against the porch rail and when Emmett joined him, he asked, "Tell me about it Emmett."

"Three men came out of the bank with a money bag. They started shooting, mounted their horses and rode east out of town. Like I said, Emma was crossing the street and they rode over her."

"Anybody know who they were? And where was Sheriff Rawlings?" Rafe's voice was tight with anger.

"Bank teller said it was the Dooley's; he'd seen a wanted poster on them when he was up to Flagstaff. As far as Rawlings, I reckon he was hiding in the saloon," Emmett answered. "He came out a couple of minutes after the outlaws rode away. Made a lot of noise and blustered about how they wouldn't get away with it." Emmett gave Rafe a sarcastic smile. "But he sure didn't do anything to follow them. He went back to his office and I haven't seen him since."

Rafe looked off to the east; his mind already picturing the ride after the men who had hurt his Emma. His thoughts fought with each other. He was worried about Emma and wanted to stay with her until she got better; at the same time Rafe knew if he didn't get on the trail soon that the men would disappear. Maybe this time the bandits will get away, he thought. I need to be here for Emma.

Molly came to the door and motioned to Emmett. He walked over to her and Molly handed him Jeannie and pointed to William who was playing inside. Her intent was plain; you watch the children her actions said. Then Molly came onto the porch and walked to where Rafe leaned against the rail.

"Rafe you have to go after those men," Molly said. "I know you're worried about Emma but Doc Stinson says we just have to wait; you can't help by just sitting around moping."

"But Molly..." Rafe began but Molly stopped him.

"They stole money from your friends and neighbors; they hurt Emma, and shot up the town. We can't let them run loose; they'll just do it again and maybe kill someone next time. Besides we know your chaffing to go anyway." Molly stopped for a few seconds to see Rafe's reaction; he gave her a very small grin. "Emmett will try to put together a posse to follow you, but you need to go now.

He nodded. "Thanks Molly," Rafe said and hugged her. Sometimes it's the women of the family that are the hardest, he thought.

"I'll send Emmett back out before those kids run him to death." She smiled and went back into the hotel. Emmet came back onto the porch.

"When are we leavin son?"

"We're not, but I am," Rafe answered.

"I'm not too old to ride with you," Emmett protested.

"No you're not, but someone needs to organize a posse to follow me. Besides one of us needs to be here with the family. You're the only one I trust to take care of them while I'm gone or if I don't come back."

Emmett's smile was grim and sad at the same time. Rafe's goin after them and he may not be back or bring them back to face the law, Emmett thought. And he doesn't want any blood on my hands.

Rafe saw the smile. "Emmett, you've got no experience in the things I might have to do. If they give me a choice, I'll bring them back. But I'll not let them run free after hurting Emma." He stood and added, "I'm going to talk to Rawlings and then go back to the Doc's for a spell. I'll come back for supper a little later."

Sheriff Rawlings wasn't exactly hiding in his office, but he didn't want to face the townspeople. He knew that they would not be happy with his lack of action concerning the bank robbers. His heart sank and he was afraid when the one man he really didn't want to see walked into his office.

"I tried to stop them Rafe," Rawlings claimed when the young man slammed the door.

"That's horseshit Rawlings. You didn't come out of the saloon until they already left town; until after they'd ridden down my wife." Rafe fingered the butt of his pistol. "Were you hiding down behind the bar while they shot up the town?"

"I...I..." Rawlings stuttered.

"The only reason I'm here is to get information on the men that did this." Rafe saw the Sheriff relax a little. "The bank teller said he'd seen a wanted poster on them up in Flagstaff. Said it was the Dooley's. You know about them?"

"I think I got one of them posters here somewheres," Rawlings answered and dug through the right hand drawer of his desk. He was glad to get off the subject of his actions. "Yep, here tis." He handed Rafe the poster. "Bill Dooley is the leader of the gang; his cousin, Jeff Dooley, and Tom Smith are the other two. They've robbed a couple of stage coaches and the bank in Flagstaff. Guess they're headed east."

"I'll be headed after them," Rafe said after reading the poster. "If I bring them back, I expect you to hold them for the circuit judge." He looked Rawlings in the eye and warned, "Don't fight me on this like you did with Morrison. You hear me?"

Rawlings nodded and sighed in relief when Rafe walked out of the office. Think I'd rather cross the Dooley's than cross Rafe Cassidy, he thought.

Returning to Doc Stinson's, Rafe found Emma was still in a troubled sleep. He sat in a chair next to her bed and Emma seemed to rest easier when he took her hand. The doctor came in to check on his patient and after doing so he motioned Rafe out of the room. Doc led the way into his office, pointed to a chair, and poured two whiskeys.

"I understand that you plan on going after those men," Doc Stinson said. "You should let the law handle them Rafe."

"Our Sheriff says they're out of his jurisdiction and it'll take too long to get the district U.S. Marshal here. The Dooley's will be in Mexico if we wait."

"It's not your job Rafe."

"Not about whose job it is Doc. Those bastards took money that belongs to most everyone in Camp Verde; they shot up my town, and almost killed my wife and son. Maybe not my job but I'll be damned if I'll let them run free."

Doc Stinson looked at Rafe as he sipped his whiskey. "You know a great philosopher once said 'Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves'."

"Yeah, Confucius said that," Rafe replied. He chuckled at the surprised look on Doc's face. "My Ma made sure I had more schoolin than most and she quoted that at me when I was talkin about dealing with a man named Mendoza back in San Antonio."

Rafe's smile became grim. "The Dooley's are gonna pay; if that's revenge, so be it. Save your breath Doc, I'm goin after them. I'm going to bring them back dead or alive; it will be their choice to make."

Rafe stood and threw down the whiskey all at once. "Thanks for the drink. Think I'll spend a little more time with Emma."

Doc Stinson also stood. "You take care of what you have to do and I'll take care of Emma for you." He put the whiskey bottle back into his desk and watched Rafe return to Emma's room. That young man is a force, he thought. I wouldn't want to be in the Dooley's shoes. No, I surely wouldn't.

About an hour later Rafe walked back into Doc's office. "Going to gear up for the trail and spend the evening with my children; I'll be leavin at first light. No matter what happens, thank you for caring for Emma, Doc. If she wakes up while I'm gone, please tell her I'll be back soon."

********************

"We shouldn't a rode down that woman," Tom Smith said to the two Dooley's. They were resting their horses after a day and half of hard riding to get away from Camp Verde before a posse could catch up to them. "No cause to do it."

The sight of the young woman lying in the street still bothered him. Smith had no problem with robbing stages and banks or even rustling cattle, but hurting women didn't sit well with him.

"She were in our way," Jeff Dooley said.

"No she weren't. She were just trying to protect her boy. We coulda rode around her," Smith argued.

"You callin me a liar?" Jeff questioned in an angry voice.

"Not callin you nothin, just sayin we didn't have to ride her down."

"Well if you don't like it, I guess you can ride out on your own," Bill Dooley joined in.

"Might be best. Give me my share of the bank money and I'll head out."

As Smith and Bill talked, Jeff slipped around behind Thomas. As Thomas put out his hand for his share, Jeff pulled his pistol and shot him in the back of the head. The shot splattered blood all over Bill and Thomas fell to the ground.

woodmanone
woodmanone
2,294 Followers