Ride For The Sun Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
woodmanone
woodmanone
2,296 Followers

"That's good," Emma said. "I already told Mr. Grove that I'd do it."

Both of them laughed and hugged each other. "Better not let it interfere with us though," Rafe said, only half kidding.

"No sir. Wouldn't think of it."

********************

"You didn't say it was Rafe Cassidy you was havin trouble with Mr. Blake," Roy Harding said as he watched the Sheriff walk past the saloon. Harding was a hired gun; he'd work either side of an argument or fight. It just depended who would pay for his services.

"What's the matter Harding, you afraid of the boy?" Blake asked. Blake had contracted with Roy Harding, a hard case and pistolero, to rid him of the new sheriff. He wanted to regain his hold on Camp Verde. Since Rafe became the Sheriff, the business men of the town wouldn't pay for protection. To add insult to injury, the townspeople demanded payment for the goods and services that Blake needed. "Ain't afraid of any man alive Mr. Blake," Harding replied with a cold stare. "Don't make that mistake again."

"Alright, alright. You will face him down though."

"It's gonna cost you more than we agreed on." Harding watched as Rafe walked out of sight. "Another $1000 should do it."

"That's $2000," Blake complained. "I can get ten men for that."

"I suggest you do so Mr. Blake. But if you want me to take that man down, it's $2000." Harding lit a cigar and continued. "All you'll do hiring a bunch of men is get more killed."

Blake didn't want to admit to Harding that he'd tried to hire other gun hands but no one wanted to go up against Rafe Cassidy. He shook his head, reached into his wallet, and counted out $1000. "Here you are, but what makes Cassidy so special?"

"Cassidy took down Ralph Colbert over to Roswell in a fair fight. Colbert was the best in New Mexico. Tom Morrison and his sidekick Barlow found out how good Cassidy was; he killed them both." Harding dropped his cigar and ground it out with his boot heel.

"And here in Camp Verde, Cassidy bested Woody Rhodes not long ago. Rhodes is the only man I ever saw that might be as fast as me." "That's why the extra money Mr. Blake. I'll brace Cassidy tonight when he comes into the saloon on his rounds."

When Rafe entered the saloon that evening, he felt a tension in the room. Men looked at him and then turned their heads. As Rafe walked toward the bar he saw one man staring at him. The man leaned against the bar and didn't turn his head away; his eyes watched Rafe's every move. Stanley Blake was sitting at the table closest to the bar.

Rafe sort of nodded to himself. Reckon I knew Blake wouldn't let things go, he thought. That hombre must be a gun hand with that low slung tied down holster.

"You'd be Cassidy." At Rafe's nod, he said, "I'm Roy Harding and I got business with you."

"From over El Paso way?" Rafe asked. Harding nodded. "I've heard of you." He carefully walked closer to Harding. "What business?"

"My employer wants you out of town," Harding said and motioned to Blake.

Blake's face went white and he shook his head. Now everyone knows I hired Harding, he thought.

Rafe looked at Blake and turned his attention to Harding. "There's no need for this Harding; you could ride on."

"Can't do it Cassidy; I took the job and Blake's money. Should'a found out who he wanted rid of before I did, now it don't make a difference; I gave him my word." Harding shook his head. "You have to understand, I gave him my word."

"Keeping your word to this scum is gonna get you dead," Rafe said. "I'll say it again, ride out Harding." The gunman shook his head.

"When I'm done with your hired gun, I'm coming for you Blake," Rafe said never taking his eyes from the dangerous pistolero.

Harding's hand was a blur as he reached for his pistol. As fast as he was, he was just a touch slower than Rafe. Before the gunfighter was able to bring his gun to bear, a shot echoed across the saloon. Harding took two steps backward and collapsed to the floor.

Another shot rang out and Rafe turned quickly. He saw Blake slide off the table he'd been at and fall to the floor. Behind Blake, Jacob Eason slowly lowered his smoking pistol.

"He was gonna shoot you in the back Rafe," the young deputy said. His hand was shaking a little as he holstered his gun.

"Thanks Jacob, you did good."

"Didn't want to have to break in a new boss, don't you know," Jacob replied with a big grin.

"Better get the undertaker," Rafe suggested. "He's got business to attend to."

********************

"You have to run for Sheriff again," Mayor Butler complained. Rafe had just told the Mayor, Mr. Grover, and Mr. Stanford that he was stepping down as Sheriff; he wouldn't be on the ballot in the next election. Camp Verde would have to find itself a new lawman.

"Mayor, it's been three years and that's enough," Rafe replied. "I never intended for this to be a lifelong job. My kids are growing up and I want to spend more time with them. I also don't intend to put Emma through worrying about me coming home every night anymore. We want to move back to the R Bar R and get back to raisin cattle."

"But you've been the best Sheriff we've ever had," Stanford said.

"Thank you for that Mr. Stanford; appreciate it."

During the time that Rafe had been Sheriff, Camp Verde had grown from a wide spot in the road to a fine little community. It had also grown to be a place that families and businessmen could prosper. After the first six months of Rafe being elected Sheriff, the word spread that Camp Verde wasn't a wild cow town anymore.

Cowhands, drovers, and miners were welcome; along with businesses, townspeople, and ranchers. But if you came to Camp Verde you better behave yourself. Wild drunks, shooting up the town, and barroom fights weren't allowed and would quickly get you arrested and put in jail. Arrested by a young sheriff that was about the best with a gun in the county if not the state.

The word also spread to outlaws that Camp Verde was a town to bypass. The stories of Rafe's fights with Woody Rhodes and Roy Harding made the rounds too. The message was clear; if you broke the law in Camp Verde you would be punished. Rafe had also instituted a policy of going after anyone that misbehaved in town; no matter where they ran and with no consideration of jurisdiction. If you did the deed in Camp Verde you would face Rafe and the town court.

Stanley Blake's sister had come from Indiana to take over his ranch two months after his death. Eleanor Blake marched into Rafe's office the day after she arrived in Camp Verde.

"I'm Eleanor Blake, Sheriff Cassidy," she introduced herself.

Rafe stood. "I'm sorry for your loss Miss Blake. Your brother didn't leave us much choice."

"I know that. Stanley always was about two degrees off plumb and now he's paid for it." Eleanor offered her hand to Rafe. "I've never approved of Stanley's methods and wanted to let you know there are no hard feelings."

Rafe and Emma had become friends with Eleanor; Rafe even helped her find a crew of honest and trustworthy wranglers to work her ranch.

"Who will we get to run for Sheriff?" Butler asked Rafe.

"I suggest you back Jacob Eason. He's worked for me for three years and he's a good man," Rafe answered. "I'll put the word out that I think he'd make a good lawman."

"But he's so young," Grover said.

"He's two years younger than me. And he doesn't have a ranch or family in the area so he can devote himself to the town; just like he's been doing for the last three years." Rafe looked at the members of the town council. "Run anyone you want, but I'm done after this term."

********************

Emma just smiled and made no comment when Rafe told her of his plans, other than to say with a big smile "Yes dear."

The day after the election, Rafe, Emma, and the children moved back to the R Bar R. Their first evening home they spent with Emmett and Molly at the ranch house. Rafe and Emma would move into their new house as soon as they could furnish it.The next morning Rafe and Emma took a ride to get a feel for the land again.

"I'm glad we've come home," Emma said when they stopped at a spring and dismounted. "I didn't want the baby growing up in town."

"I don't think we can hardly call William or Jeannie babies anymore," Rafe said with a grin.

"Rafe, I'm talking about a new baby. Should be born sometime just before roundup."

Emma felt herself picked up and swung around. Then Rafe sat her back on her feet.

"I'm glad to be out of the law business and to be home," Rafe admitted.

Rafe and Emma mounted and rode back to the ranch house to tell Emmett and Molly about the soon to be addition to the family.

They rode stirrup to stirrup holding hands.

The End

woodmanone
woodmanone
2,296 Followers