Rising From The Ashes

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Web_Spinner
Web_Spinner
2,959 Followers

I grinned back at him. "Yeah, well it's a rule I've always lived by. Not only have I never made a play for a married woman I won't even make one if I know the woman has a boyfriend. If you were able to take a woman away from the man she was with how could you ever trust her not to do the same thing with the next guy that came along. That's even more true now that it's happened to me."

********

One other thing that happened as a result of me finding the disc left behind by my wife is that at the meeting with the therapist following my discovery she obviously could tell that something dramatic had happened. She asked to see me the following day without Katey. I must say, Dr. Walters knew her business. It didn't take her long to ferret out of me what had happened and the next thing I knew I was having one on one sessions with her.

It took a couple of months for her to make me realize that I had been suppressing many of my true feelings and another couple months to help me come to terms with them and deal with it. In the end she had truly helped both Katey and me to get past this ordeal.

When a year had gone by Shelley put forth my petition for divorce. We had no reason to present the CD movie as Rhonda's desertion of her family and failure to make any contact with her daughter or me was seen as justifiable cause to grant the divorce and give me sole custody of my daughter. I still kept the movie hidden away as insurance in case Rhonda ever did return and counter file for custody.

Just when things seemed to have settled out for everyone came the next tragedy in our lives. James was an avid cyclist and even rode in amateur races. During a race there had been a pile up and James had suffered a deep thigh bruise. What no one knew at the time was that he had developed a blood clot which broke loose and lodged in his brain causing a massive stroke.

When it happened we were at work. I was sitting in my office reviewing the plans for a new house I was getting ready to build when the phone call came. I heard Renee answer the phone. Suddenly I heard her cry out and I rushed out to her side. She had a frantic look as she stared at me.

"It's James. They've rushed him to the hospital," she blurted out as she stood and grabbed her purse. She started to run out of the office and I chased after her.

"Come on. Get in my truck. I'll drive," I said when I caught up with her. At first she gave me a blank stare then nodded and let me lead her. I put her in the passenger side and hurried to get behind the wheel. Except for telling me which hospital she never said another word for the rest of the ride. When ever I would glance over at her I could see her shaking with worry.

When we reached the hospital I pulled up in front of the emergency admittance and she leapt from the truck and rushed in. I hurriedly found a parking spot and ran back to the doors. When I went inside I saw that Renee had already inquired about James and she was clearly distraught. I went to her and she looked at me at told me that the doctors were working on James and they didn't know anything yet. I put my arm around her and led her over to the waiting area and sat with her.

After a half hour I realized that it was getting close to time to pick up our daughters at school. Not wanting to leave Renee alone I called Shelley and gave her a brief rundown on what was happening and asked if she could pick up the girls at school and bring them to the hospital. She assured me she would. I then called the school and asked them to have the girls ready to be picked up.

Shelley called me just before they arrived and I told Renee they were here. I went out to meet them and asked Shelley to take Katey with her and keep Renee company while I talked with Jeannie. I took her to a quiet spot and as gently as possible told her that her father had been brought to the hospital and was in the emergency room with the doctors. I let her know that it was apparently serious but we would have to wait for the doctors until we knew how bad it was. Jeannie did her best to put on a brave face and followed me back to the waiting room.

I thanked Shelley for her help and before she left I promised to call her if we needed her help again. For the next half hour we sat in silence, me hugging Katey and Renee holding Jeannie. Finally a nurse came out and asked us to follow her and led us to a private sitting room. Soon we were joined by a doctor. The news was not good. Even though James was still alive he was being kept that way by life support. Renee collapsed in tears and I held her in my arms as she sobbed.

We continued to wait until they had James placed into ICU and then Renee and Jeannie were allowed to see him. After some time had passed Renee and Jeannie came back out.

"Steve, would you look after Jeannie for me. I'm going to stay here," Renee asked me.

Jeannie started to protest so I knelt in front of her. "Sweetie, you need to be strong for your mother right now. You come home with Katey and me and I will bring you back in the morning. If anything happens your mother will call us, okay?"

With tears falling from her eyes Jeannie nodded her head. She hugged her mother and then went to hold hands with Katey. I gave Renee a hug and told her to call me if anything changed and that I would see her in the morning.

That evening was a tough one. Both girls hardly ate anything and were quiet, hardly speaking. I got them to bed and then turned in myself but sleep was hard to come by. The next morning I woke the girls and pretty much had to force them to eat breakfast. When I told Katey that I was going to drop her off at school she almost went ballistic. I took her to the side away from Jeannie.

"Honey, please. I need you to listen to me. Right now Jeannie is going to need to be with her mom. The time is going to come when she needs you and that's when you will be there for her, okay?"

"Alright daddy. I understand." I could tell she wasn't happy about it.

"That's my girl," I said giving her a hug.

After dropping Katey off I took Jeannie by her house. She used her key to let us in and I had her pack her mother some fresh clothes and anything else she felt her mother might need. When we arrived at the room James was in we found Renee asleep in a chair beside his bed. I set down the overnight bag we had brought and Jeannie and I went back out to the waiting room so her mother could sleep. It was another hour and a half before a haggard Renee came out looking for us.

Jeannie and I hugged her and then I led her to the cafeteria and bought her some breakfast. It took a bit of prodding to get her to eat but her lack of appetite was understandable. When she was finished I went to the desk on the floor and asked if there was somewhere that Renee could shower and change. The nurse was sympathetic under the circumstances and took her to the nurses locker room. She returned looking somewhat better.

The rest of the day was spent with Renee and Jeannie taking turns sitting with James while I stayed in the waiting area consoling whichever one was not in there. The doctors came back a little after noon and ran another battery of tests. The prognosis was not good. When it was time for school to let out I went and picked up Katey and we returned to the hospital until late evening when I again took the girls home.

It was half past five in the morning when my phone rang. I knew before I even answered it. I heard Renee obviously crying on the other end tell me that James had passed. I could only tell her how sorry I was and that the girls and I would be there as soon as possible. I quickly dressed and made my way to Katey's bedroom. The girls were asleep in her bed. I gently woke Katey and put my finger to her lips before she could speak and beckoned her to follow me. I told her that her friends father had died and she began to cry. I pulled her into a hug.

"Honey, Jeannie is going to need your support now. I need you to hurry and get dressed while I talk with her. When you are ready she will probably need your help getting dressed. We need to got to the hospital for Renee."

Katey looked at me and nodded wiping the tears from her eyes. "Okay daddy. I will help her."

My daughter suddenly looked more mature than her fourteen years and I was proud of her. I then woke Jeannie and as difficult as it was I told her that her father had died. She broke down sobbing and I held her in my arms for several minutes. I then told her that her mother needed us and with Katey's help she was soon dressed and we were on our way.

It was heartbreaking to watch mother and daughter in a sobbing embrace as they shared their grief. Katey was crying as well and holding tightly to me. She too knew what it was like to lose a parent. Soon I left Katey with Renee and Jeannie and went to find the hospital administrators. I informed them that we would have a funeral home contact them as soon as we had chosen one. I then gently led Renee and her daughter out to the car and drove them home.

Once there I settled them into the den and asked her what phone calls needed to be made. She gave me a list of people to call including her parents and James' brother. Like me, James' parents had already passed away and his brother was his only relative. I also called Keith and Shelley. On my recommendation James and Renee had chose to use Shelley as their family lawyer. They dropped everything and came over right away. Shelley stayed with Renee while I made the phone calls including arranging with a funeral home to take charge of James' remains.

The toll of her loss and the lack of sleep finally overcame Renee and with Shelley's help she was put to bed. Afterward I talked with Shelley. She told me that she would handle the estate matters pro bono and that she had a copy of James' will. She also let me know that the will referred to two burial plots that James had purchased. I thanked Keith and Shelley for coming and when they had left I set about fixing lunch for the girls. The rest of the day was quiet with bouts of tears from both Jeannie and Katey.

The emotional toll soon overcame both girls and as soon as dinner was over they both turned in. Jeannie didn't want to sleep alone so once more both girls slept in the same bed. I decided to stay in the guest room and after I had locked up for the night I too felt the drain of energy and went to bed. I was tired enough that I slept through the night. I awoke around six and quickly dressed but I realized that I was not the first up as I was met by the smell of coffee as I stepped out of the room. I walked to the kitchen where Renee was sitting at the table.

She started and gasped when I walked in. "Steve, I didn't realize you were still here."

"Well Jeannie wanted Katey to stay with her and I decided to stay in your guest room just in case." I didn't say just in case what but Renee knew what I meant.

I told her about the arrangements that had been made with the funeral home and I told her that I would pick up her parents at the airport as they were flying in today. She thanked me for everything I had done. When our daughters finally appeared I told Renee to remain seated and I made breakfast for everyone. Once I had the kitchen cleaned it was time to leave for the airport. I arrived early enough to be waiting at arrivals when they came out. I had no trouble recognizing them as I had seen their pictures at Renee's house.

"Mr. and Mrs. Hanley, I'm Steve Connors, Renee's boss," I said holding out my hand.

"It's nice to meet you Steve. Please call me Dan and this is my wife Victoria. I feel as if I almost know you. Our daughter often speaks of you when we talk. She regards you very highly," Renee's father said shaking my hand.

"The feelings are mutual then. I couldn't accomplish what I do without her help. Both she and James have become dear friends. I just wish we were meeting under better circumstances."

Renee's mother gave me a hug. I like both of them immediately. We gathered their luggage and loaded it in the car and I drove them to their daughter's home. It was a bitter sweet reunion and more tears were shed. Katey and I stayed for lunch before taking our leave.

James' funeral was held on Friday. His brother was there as well as many of James' friends. He had been quite popular due to his easy going ways and quick humor. I was also pleased to see that many of the subcontractors who had worked for me over the years and had gotten to know Renee showed up to pay their respects.

Renee's parents stayed for another two days and on Sunday they invited Katey and I over for lunch. After lunch we adults went into the living room while Katey went with Jeannie to her room. We had been talking about everyday mundane things until Renee's mother spoke up.

"Honey, do you know what your plans are now? You know we would love to have you move back home," Victoria said to her daughter.

"I know mom. You and dad have always been there to support me and I love you for that but this has all been so sudden that Jeannie and I are going to need some time to decide what we are going to do," Renee replied. "As soon as I know what we decide I will let you know."

Until now I hadn't thought about the possibility that Renee might move away and that sudden realization gave me a hollow feeling in the pit of my stomach. And yet as her friend I would support whatever she decided. I stayed until a little after five and before leaving took Renee aside.

"I know you need time to mourn and to think about your life now. I want you to take all the time you need. Don't worry about work and if you do decide to move back with your parents I want you to know I will support your decision. You have to do what's best for you and Jeannie now. In the meantime if you need anything at all please call. I'll always be here for you."

Renee teared up and gave me a hug. "Thank you Steve. I don't think I would have made it this far without you."

Renee's father followed Katey and me out to the car and after I had her belted in he stuck his hand out to me. "Steve, Renee has told me how much you have done for her and Jeannie through all this. I want you to know how much Victoria and I appreciate it. I shudder to think how much worse it would have been with out your support."

I shook his hand. "Dan, it's the least that I could do. She and James and Jeannie were there for me and Katey after my wife left and abandoned our daughter. It was their love that really brought my daughter out of her depression. As long as she remains here you can rely on me to look after them the best I can."

Over the next two weeks Katey and I would stop by to check on Renee and Jeanie. She never mentioned if she had decided what she was going to do with her future and I was content not to pry and give her time. Jeannie stayed home with her mother for the first week following the funeral and then returned to school. It was Monday a week later that I went to the office and saw her car parked outside. She was sitting at her desk when I walked in. I knew she had reached a decision. I just stood staring at her waiting for her to speak.

"Well boss, are you going to show me what all you messed up the last couple weeks so I can fix it?" she asked.

"Does this mean..." I left it there not daring to finish the question.

"Yes, it means we're staying. This is Jeannie's home and all her friends are here. I think it would make this even harder for her to make her move. Besides, we both know you need me to keep your business running." She gave me a smile with the last sentence.

I exhaled not even realizing I had been holding my breath. "You sure know how to butter up your boss," I said with a big grin on my face. With that said I caught her up on the last two weeks events and then she kicked me out of the office telling me to keep on eye on the subcontractors. I don't think the smile left my face all day.

**************

Over the next year it seemed that we spent almost every weekend together due to our daughter's friendship. Renee and I would attend the girls sporting events and other school activities together. If they didn't have school events the girls would usually come to my house. I always made sure that Renee would come too. I didn't want her sitting around feeling depressed. Our friendship continued to grow to the point that there was nothing we couldn't speak to each other about. As for Katey, Renee had become a surrogate mother to whom she could talk about things that a young teen girl would be embarrassed to talk to her father about.

I guess I also became a father figure to Jeannie as well. Of course when it came to being a disciplinarian figure the girls would usually just giggle at me and it would have to be Renee who stepped in. Both girls knew they had me wrapped around their little fingers. The nice thing is that they were both good girls and we rarely denied them anything.

It was a Saturday just a little over a year after James had passed away. I had run over to one of the houses I had under construction to handle a small crisis. When I got back home I saw Renee's car in the drive way. We had planned a barbecue and a day of lounging around the pool. When I came into the house I could hear the girls laughing and giggling out back so I went to the laundry room and got my swim trunks where I had left them to dry. Normally I would change in my bedroom but today I figured I would just slip into the downstairs bathroom.

With suit in hand I opened the door and my eyes went wide. Standing in front of me was Renee. She was just reaching for her bikini top and was only wearing a skimpy pair of panties. I couldn't help but stare at her body. Of course I had seen her in a bikini before but never like this. Her breasts were perfect. I would say a large B cup. They stood proud on her chest with no sag and were capped in perfect pink nipples. I know I only stood there for a couple seconds but it seemed much longer.

Renee gasped and crossed her arms across her chest. "Oh my God, I'm so sorry," I stuttered. I quickly turned and pulled the door shut behind me and rushed to the living room. I was totally flustered. I remember thinking that I hoped I hadn't ruined our friendship and that she didn't hate me. Ten minutes passed before Renee came out wearing her bikini.

I know she could see how ashamed I looked. "Renee, I am sorry. I heard the girls out by the pool and thought you were out there too. I really didn't mean to walk in on you," I spoke in a rush.

She stood in front of me trying to look mad. That lasted all of about ten seconds until she laughed. She walked over to me and patted my cheek. "Steve, I know you would never do that intentionally. It's okay, don't worry about. Now go get changed and put the chicken on the grill. I'm hungry."

With that she turned and headed for the pool as I stood with my mouth hanging open as I watched her leave. I let out a sigh of relief that she wasn't mad at me. Of course I hurried and did as she asked. I went out back and saw Renee sipping wine while the girls romped in the pool. I grilled the chicken trying to keep myself from staring at her. I couldn't get the image of her in the bathroom out of my mind. After we had eaten we sat in recliners getting some sun. By now we were talking again as we always had. The only thing else that happened was that during a lull in the conversation Renee looked at me and smirked. I know I must have blushed.

The sun was setting when they left. Jeannie had invited Katey to spend the night so she went with them. As the girls headed to the car Renee came and gave me a kiss on the cheek and another sly grin. I breathed a sigh of relief when they had gone. At least my faux pas had not ruined our friendship. I went into my home office and went over some paperwork before turning in for the night. It was only when I was in bed did my mind return to the event earlier in the day. I could see her standing practically naked in front of me. That image caused my cock to stir. I reached down and felt myself start to get hard. This was the first time I had an erection since the day I saw the movie of my ex-wife and her gang bang. I guess what makes that remarkable in itself was that until then I had had a very high sex drive. I always thought I was abnormal as I seemed to have a perpetual hard on and spent most of my time trying to get into my wife's pussy. I knew that the reason my ex had left wasn't due to a lack of sex.

Web_Spinner
Web_Spinner
2,959 Followers